The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You lost all credibility on your hockey knowledge right there.  The Bruins actually have 11 forwards and 7 defencemen under contract for next season already and have nearly $27M in cap space to spend (Rask, Krejci and Hall make up $18M of that).  They have plenty of money to spend since Krejci and Hall are likely not returning.

Lol sure. They need a goalie, unless you think a team that wants to contend moves forward with Vlader and Swayman and no safety net or legit starter. Reilly and Carlo on D they probably want to re sign. Re sign Fredrick, Ritchie and Kase up front and just because you say they aren’t resigning both Hall and Krejci doesn’t mean they don’t sign one if not both. My credibility is still in tact while you look for yours under your couch

1 minute ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Lol sure. They need a goalie, unless you think a team that wants to contend moves forward with Vlader and Swayman and no safety net or legit starter. Reilly and Carlo on D they probably want to re sign. Re sign Fredrick, Ritchie and Kase up front and just because you say they aren’t resigning both Hall and Krejci doesn’t mean they don’t sign one if not both. My credibility is still in tact while you look for yours under your couch

lmao, how much do you think Reilly and Carlo are gonna sign for?  And Frederic, Ritchie and Kase?  Really?  You could probably sign both Reilly and Carlo for $7M, and Kase has not exactly been lighting it up, so probably another short 'show-me' deal for him.  Those 3 forwards could probably be tied up for $5M to $6M.  And unless you think the Bruins are gonna keep Steen,Studnicka, Kuhlman, etc on the active roster, you save a few million in extra forwards there. 

Bottomline, Boston has plenty of room to play with.  You somehow think they have no cap room LMAO. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

lmao, how much do you think Reilly and Carlo are gonna sign for?  And Frederic, Ritchie and Kase?  Really?  You could probably sign both Reilly and Carlo for $7M, and Kase has not exactly been lighting it up, so probably another short 'show-me' deal for him.  Those 3 forwards could probably be tied up for $5M to $6M.  And unless you think the Bruins are gonna keep Steen,Studnicka, Kuhlman, etc on the active roster, you save a few million in extra forwards there. 

Bottomline, Boston has plenty of room to play with.  You somehow think they have no cap room LMAO. 

I didn’t say they have no cap room, if you have any reading comprehension you can clearly see I said “they don’t have much cap space to bring Schmidt in”. Meaning that’s over 5 million that can be better spent on the team, nowhere does it say they have no cap space. What you’re saying is Boston will trade their first rounder for a guy they could have had for a 3rd last year and is coming off a down year and signed until his mid 30s. It’s ok, you don’t get it I won’t force feed you anymore. You yourself say 7 million between the D men, 6 million between those forwards and don’t account for a goaltender or Hall and just assume they won’t bring Krejci back even for 3 million or so. Say 6 million for Hall and that might be a little shy that’s 22 million without adding a goalie. Your 27 in cap space doesn’t get you very far

7 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I didn’t say they have no cap room, if you have any reading comprehension you can clearly see I said “they don’t have much cap space to bring Schmidt in”. Meaning that’s over 5 million that can be better spent on the team, nowhere does it say they have no cap space. What you’re saying is Boston will trade their first rounder for a guy they could have had for a 3rd last year and is coming off a down year and signed until his mid 30s. It’s ok, you don’t get it I won’t force feed you anymore. You yourself say 7 million between the D men, 6 million between those forwards and don’t account for a goaltender or Hall and just assume they won’t bring Krejci back even for 3 million or so. Say 6 million for Hall and that might be a little shy that’s 22 million without adding a goalie. Your 27 in cap space doesn’t get you very far

So you think Boston will carry 16 forwards and 9 defencemen on the active roster?  Ok then, in that case, yeah no, they won't be able to afford Schmidt.

What a lot of people are simply not getting is that just because the Canucks got Schmidt for a deal doesn't mean he's not more valuable than the 3rd round pick it cost to get him in the first place.  He was only expendable by a Stanley Cup contender that found an upgrade on him to a RHD, and former captain of a Stanley Cup championship team (St. Louis).  Prior to joining the Canucks, Schmidt was a top pairing defenceman on a Stanley Cup contender.  You bet he's worth a 1st round pick (especially a late one).

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s unlikely he makes it to free agency.

The Sabres will trade him this offseason and the team acquiring will make sure to sign him.

You want him you get him this summer or not at all.

Unless the player wants to play in vancouver then it wouldn't matter. I remember when Dan Hamhuis had his rights traded before the draft to the Penguins, but he decided to come and sign in hometown BC. Also, a year from now if fans can be in the stands near full capacity maybe next off season there might be a better idea of when the cap might go up, meaning players might not want to lock into term this off season if the possibility of knowing more about the cap isn't as far away as some are thinking it will be.

Could also just be a player is confident and bets on himself, which I think is the case of Reinhart considering he just came off a 1 year deal with Buffalo.

Just now, HKSR said:

So you think Boston will carry 16 forwards and 9 defencemen on the active roster?  Ok then, in that case, yeah no, they won't be able to afford Schmidt.

What a lot of people are simply not getting is that just because the Canucks got Schmidt for a deal doesn't mean he's not more valuable than the 3rd round pick it cost to get him in the first place.  He was only expendable by a Stanley Cup contender that found an upgrade on him to a RHD, and former captain of a Stanley Cup championship team (St. Louis).  Prior to joining the Canucks, Schmidt was a top pairing defenceman on a Stanley Cup contender.  You bet he's worth a 1st round pick (especially a late one).

Ok so I don’t even think you’re wrong with saying that just because we got Schmidt for a 3rd doesn’t mean he couldn’t be had for more. But there clearly wasn’t a bidding war for him last year, and after a down year with his contract there’s no guarantee he’s all that desirable around the league right now. I think if the Canucks were offered a 3rd for him this off-season there’s a good chance JB would make the move. If they’re offered a 1st then they would be stupid not to make the move, even if they weren’t going to add Reinhart and had no need to shed salary. But regardless the point you made there is very factual, just because we paid a 3rd for any player doesn’t mean that the potential isn’t there for him to land more in a future trade

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I'm still thankful we didn't pick Tkachuk. Hated that guy then, hate him even more now. Glad he'll never wear our colors.

I hear you, I didn't want that guy anywhere near this team. Fits Calgary perfectly. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

What I would really like to see is the same deal as what we traded for JT Miller

Which was..............

2022-1st (top 15 protected),........ which it means if we do not make the playoffs the pick is moved to 2023

At least as an initial offer.......maybe we reduce the conditions as a final offer, but certainly that is where I would like us to start.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

How can you say that before seeing the trade?

Considering Miller cost us 20OA, and he’s clearly a much better player than Rhino, I’m hoping we do equal (or better than Miller) if we do move that pick.  I’d be disappointed if we only got Rhino.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

You lost all credibility on your hockey knowledge right there.  The Bruins actually have 11 forwards and 7 defencemen under contract for next season already and have nearly $27M in cap space to spend (Rask, Krejci and Hall make up $18M of that).  They have plenty of money to spend since Krejci and Hall are likely not returning.

Plus he's out until 2022 with hip surgery.

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering Miller cost us 20OA, and he’s clearly a much better player than Rhino, I’m hoping we do equal (or better than Miller) if we do move that pick.  I’d be disappointed if we only got Rhino.  

The more I think of it, what you're saying is a very good point. Miller for a 20OA was a good trade for both teams. Right now, Miller is one of our top 3 forwards, so I think a 9OA should get at least SR without giving someone else up. Horvat at 9OA, for Schneider is a comparable. I actually gasped when they announced the trade at the time.

• Vintage 1

This is an interesting read on top 10 draft picks being traded since 2005

How often are top 10 NHL Draft picks traded in June? - Sportsnet.ca

Only twice since 2005 has the a 9th OA pick been traded............

1. Schneider  for NJ Devils 2013-9th OA............thank you NJ!

2. 2007-9th OA for 2007-13th OA, 2007-44th OA, and 2008-3 rounder

Take a read!

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

How can you say that before seeing the trade?

For sure. We drafted Bo 9th overall with the Devil's trade. But if the possibility is there to trade for a Miller quality player, regardless of position, you seriously consider it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

2. 2007-9th OA for 2007-13th OA, 2007-44th OA, and 2008-3 rounder

@Marv-the-wet-bandit 

This is why I was suggesting that 6th OA would cost 9th OA and 40th OA.  

In this case it was Logan Couture for Lars Eller and a guy that never made the NHL (44th OA) 

Just an example Marvin, but wanting to keep the 2nd round pick is fine too, just that the odds decrease significantly. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

@Marv-the-wet-bandit 

This is why I was suggesting that 6th OA would cost 9th OA and 40th OA.  

In this case it was Logan Couture for Lars Eller and a guy that never made the NHL (44th OA) 

Just an example Marvin, but wanting to keep the 2nd round pick is fine too, just that the odds decrease significantly. 

Oh I didn’t think you were off in value at all! They say it costs a 2nd rounder to move up 4 spots in the first round, top 10 the price is probably a tad bit higher then that so a 2nd to move up 3 spots is fair value. I just want to make as many early picks as possible so I would prefer to keep the 2nd and stay at 9. But you were bang on with your value prediction I think. Also my name isn’t Marvin, my username here is a Home Alone reference haha. Generally a 2nd rounder has about a 25% chance of hitting but Benning in particular has fared well in the 2nd, although this could be the year he gets a dud I’m personally willing to take the risk. To each their own though!

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

oh for sure, that would be a fireable offence for me if Jim did that. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

For sure. We drafted Bo 9th overall with the Devil's trade. But if the possibility is there to trade for a Miller quality player, regardless of position, you seriously consider it. 

the deal I'd want for Sammy is the 9th + Loui for SR. If not, its not worth it. But if we can replace Loui with Sammy thats a huge win, because we don't waste a year of Petey, Bo, Miller, Brock, etc's best years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1