The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I've posted this in the proposals section too, but thought I'd post it here as well since a lot of people seem to think we'll be in cap hell if we trade for Reinhart.  Here's my potential scenario that covers off the next 3 years (I've got year 4 and 5 too, but there's too many variables there):

TRADE #1

To Van:

Sam Reinhart

2021 33rd OA Pick (2nd Round)

To BUF:

2021 9th OA Pick (1st Round)

2021 41st OA Pick (2nd Round)

2021 73rd OA Pick (3rd Round)

Jack Rathbone

Antoine Roussel

VAN gets their Top 6 winger to play with Bo, and also get to move up in the 2nd round.

BUF gets the 9OA along with a heckuva prospect in Rathbone for Reinhart.  They move down 8 spots in the 2nd round but gain a 3rd round pick and a serviceable vet in Roussel.

TRADE #2

To Van:

2021 21st OA Pick (1st Round)

To BOS:

Nate Schmidt

Lukas Jasek

VAN recovers a 1st round pick, albeit a much later one.

BOS adds a very good defenceman to solidify their Top 4.  They look good on the RHD side, but could definitely use a defenceman like Schmidt on the LHD.  Also they gain a decent prospect in Jasek although signed in Europe for now.

UFA Signings and Extensions

-- Sign UFA Erik Haula at $2.5M x 5 years (he signs for this amount particularly due to the term)

-- Sign UFA David Savard at $4.5M x 5 years

-- Petey and Hughes extended on bridge deals at $7M x 3 years (was hoping $6.5M, but it looks more likely to be $7M at this point)

-- Re-sign Reinhart at $5.9M x 5 years (used William Karlsson as a comparable - he signed his deal in 2019-20)

-- Re-sign Hamonic at $2.5M x 3 years

-- Re-sign Edler at $2.25M for 1 year (and less as each year goes by)

2021 NHL Draft Picks (first 2 rounds only)

-- Canucks select Fyodor Svechkov 21st overall

-- Canucks select Scott Morrow 33rd overall

2021-22 assumptions:
-- Kraken is provided a sweetener in the form of Kole Lind to take Holtby

-- Beagle traded with $1M retained

-- Goodbye Virtanen

Assumptions for Future Years:

-- Boeser signs a $7M AAV extension

-- Horvat signs a $6.5M AAV extension

-- Miller signs a $7.5M AAV extension

-- Hogs and Podz get bridge deals at $4.5M AAV when ELCs are done

CapWithReinhart.jpg.fac4f20a233d4a76e3545d2c5c6b9bfd.jpg

There’s way too many assumptions in this. Free agents generally always get overpaid so in total you’re more then likely off in money for sure but also potentially term. There’s no way Boston makes that trade. There’s definitely no guarantee the Kraken take Holtby with Lind as a sweetener especially when they have the option of just take Lind and there’s going to be better goalies available to them. I can only assume (and hope) that very little of this post happens. I think you might be right on the Petey and Hughes deals but that’s about it 

4 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Also in those team listed to win cups you exclude players on those teams that weren’t drafted top5 that were KEY contributors

lightening Point Kucherov palat vasi killorn

chicago Keith seabrook sharp hossa

bruins Bergeron Thomas chara Marchand krecji

pitts letang guentzal kunitz Murray Shultz

King Quick carter Toff peason voynov muzzin 

Blues I honestly can’t remember many but tarasanko oreilly

Caps Carlson orlov kuznetsov Holtby 

and that’s off the top of the head

From my initial post. 

Overall it's how you build after you draft these players. Even with these players it still can take a while like in the Blues/Caps/Lightning's case. It's hard to win the cup, we should know that more than most teams given our 3 Finals appearances

3 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

There’s way too many assumptions in this. Free agents generally always get overpaid so in total you’re more then likely off in money for sure but also potentially term. There’s no way Boston makes that trade. There’s definitely no guarantee the Kraken take Holtby with Lind as a sweetener especially when they have the option of just take Lind and there’s going to be better goalies available to them. I can only assume (and hope) that very little of this post happens. I think you might be right on the Petey and Hughes deals but that’s about it 

So how much do you actually think someone like Haula and Savard would get?  Those are the only UFAs.

Why is there no way Boston makes the trade?

Why do you feel the Kraken wouldn't take Holtby if Lind is provided for free?

You basically shot down everything but have nothing to justify it lol.

Just now, HKSR said:

So how much do you actually think someone like Haula and Savard would get?  Those are the only UFAs.

Savard and Haula are going to have a big market, lots of teams don’t have cap space to

go after big fish and like I said free agents tend to get overpaid especially centres that provide good depth and RHD. Why would Boston accept that trade? They don’t have much cap space to bring Schmidt in, Schmidt’s value is at a low point right now. If they wanted him they could have had him for a 3rd and 7th last year when his value was higher and Jasek doesn’t move the needle on a deal like that. If he can’t crack Van he’s not going to crack Bos. Why add Holtby when there’s going to be better goalies left unprotected and he comes with more cap then he’s worth? For Lind? A guy that’s going to be available to them anyway? It doesn’t make any sense. I didn’t think I needed to

justify every reason because it’s just common sense. I can’t imagine many posters on this board will agree with you. You will get a couple, because when there’s a big group of people some are bound to be crazy or just assume it’ll work but there’s zero chance most of that happens. And look at the logistics you’ve thrown out to make a Reinhart trade happen. I’m not trying to clown the post but it just doesn’t add up. You can try all these things in NHL 21 but look at the logistical nightmare you’ve created to try and fit Reinhart on the team

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They do matter. But you need those other pieces (and likely need them actually in their primes) as well.

They dump Ol Johnny maple Laff and became a better that was great

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I would say Haula gets $2.25 over 3 or 4, Savard ... $4.5 over 4. Kraken won't take Holtby and won't pay for him in order to take a player they can get for free in a matter of days or months.

Disclaimer: I typed this before I looked at your numbers ... haha we're dead on in money but I would never sign sign a five year deal with those guys. that would be absolutely brutal.

Interesting trade, value is a little off though considering we traded a third and he had a down year, and Boston has an internal cap, plus a plethora of RD on hand.

Good work though.

18 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Savard and Haula are going to have a big market, lots of teams don’t have cap space to

go after big fish and like I said free agents tend to get overpaid especially centres that provide good depth and RHD. Why would Boston accept that trade? They don’t have much cap space to bring Schmidt in, Schmidt’s value is at a low point right now. If they wanted him they could have had him for a 3rd and 7th last year when his value was higher and Jasek doesn’t move the needle on a deal like that. If he can’t crack Van he’s not going to crack Bos. Why add Holtby when there’s going to be better goalies left unprotected and he comes with more cap then he’s worth? For Lind? A guy that’s going to be available to them anyway? It doesn’t make any sense. I didn’t think I needed to

justify every reason because it’s just common sense. I can’t imagine many posters on this board will agree with you. You will get a couple, because when there’s a big group of people some are bound to be crazy or just assume it’ll work but there’s zero chance most of that happens. And look at the logistics you’ve thrown out to make a Reinhart trade happen. I’m not trying to clown the post but it just doesn’t add up. You can try all these things in NHL 21 but look at the logistical nightmare you’ve created to try and fit Reinhart on the team

You lost all credibility on your hockey knowledge right there.  The Bruins actually have 11 forwards and 7 defencemen under contract for next season already and have nearly $27M in cap space to spend (Rask, Krejci and Hall make up $18M of that).  They have plenty of money to spend since Krejci and Hall are likely not returning.

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would say Haula gets $2.25 over 3 or 4, Savard ... $4.5 over 4. Kraken won't take Holtby and won't pay for him in order to take a player they can get for free in a matter of days or months.

Disclaimer: I typed this before I looked at your numbers ... haha we're dead on in money but I would never sign sign a five year deal with those guys. that would be absolutely brutal.

Interesting trade, value is a little off though considering we traded a third and he had a down year, and Boston has an internal cap, plus a plethora of RD on hand.

Good work though.

Haha awesome.  Bang on with the UFA dollars. I just felt that UFAs typically want security in their deals, hence the longer terms that are usually handed out.

As you mentioned, Boston has plenty of RHD and need LHD (which is Schmidt).

Edited by HKSR
1 minute ago, HKSR said:

You lost all credibility on your hockey knowledge right there.  The Bruins actually have 11 forwards and 7 defencemen under contract for next season already and have nearly $27M in cap space to spend (Rask, Krejci and Hall make up $18M of that).  They have plenty of money to spend since Krejci and Hall are likely not returning.

Hall is definitely returning to boston. 

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Hall is definitely returning to boston. 

If he is, there's still LOTS of cap room left.  Krejci was a $7M+ cap hit.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lol sure. They need a goalie, unless you think a team that wants to contend moves forward with Vlader and Swayman and no safety net or legit starter. Reilly and Carlo on D they probably want to re sign. Re sign Fredrick, Ritchie and Kase up front and just because you say they aren’t resigning both Hall and Krejci doesn’t mean they don’t sign one if not both. My credibility is still in tact while you look for yours under your couch

1 minute ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Lol sure. They need a goalie, unless you think a team that wants to contend moves forward with Vlader and Swayman and no safety net or legit starter. Reilly and Carlo on D they probably want to re sign. Re sign Fredrick, Ritchie and Kase up front and just because you say they aren’t resigning both Hall and Krejci doesn’t mean they don’t sign one if not both. My credibility is still in tact while you look for yours under your couch

lmao, how much do you think Reilly and Carlo are gonna sign for?  And Frederic, Ritchie and Kase?  Really?  You could probably sign both Reilly and Carlo for $7M, and Kase has not exactly been lighting it up, so probably another short 'show-me' deal for him.  Those 3 forwards could probably be tied up for $5M to $6M.  And unless you think the Bruins are gonna keep Steen,Studnicka, Kuhlman, etc on the active roster, you save a few million in extra forwards there. 

Bottomline, Boston has plenty of room to play with.  You somehow think they have no cap room LMAO. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

lmao, how much do you think Reilly and Carlo are gonna sign for?  And Frederic, Ritchie and Kase?  Really?  You could probably sign both Reilly and Carlo for $7M, and Kase has not exactly been lighting it up, so probably another short 'show-me' deal for him.  Those 3 forwards could probably be tied up for $5M to $6M.  And unless you think the Bruins are gonna keep Steen,Studnicka, Kuhlman, etc on the active roster, you save a few million in extra forwards there. 

Bottomline, Boston has plenty of room to play with.  You somehow think they have no cap room LMAO. 

I didn’t say they have no cap room, if you have any reading comprehension you can clearly see I said “they don’t have much cap space to bring Schmidt in”. Meaning that’s over 5 million that can be better spent on the team, nowhere does it say they have no cap space. What you’re saying is Boston will trade their first rounder for a guy they could have had for a 3rd last year and is coming off a down year and signed until his mid 30s. It’s ok, you don’t get it I won’t force feed you anymore. You yourself say 7 million between the D men, 6 million between those forwards and don’t account for a goaltender or Hall and just assume they won’t bring Krejci back even for 3 million or so. Say 6 million for Hall and that might be a little shy that’s 22 million without adding a goalie. Your 27 in cap space doesn’t get you very far

7 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I didn’t say they have no cap room, if you have any reading comprehension you can clearly see I said “they don’t have much cap space to bring Schmidt in”. Meaning that’s over 5 million that can be better spent on the team, nowhere does it say they have no cap space. What you’re saying is Boston will trade their first rounder for a guy they could have had for a 3rd last year and is coming off a down year and signed until his mid 30s. It’s ok, you don’t get it I won’t force feed you anymore. You yourself say 7 million between the D men, 6 million between those forwards and don’t account for a goaltender or Hall and just assume they won’t bring Krejci back even for 3 million or so. Say 6 million for Hall and that might be a little shy that’s 22 million without adding a goalie. Your 27 in cap space doesn’t get you very far

So you think Boston will carry 16 forwards and 9 defencemen on the active roster?  Ok then, in that case, yeah no, they won't be able to afford Schmidt.

What a lot of people are simply not getting is that just because the Canucks got Schmidt for a deal doesn't mean he's not more valuable than the 3rd round pick it cost to get him in the first place.  He was only expendable by a Stanley Cup contender that found an upgrade on him to a RHD, and former captain of a Stanley Cup championship team (St. Louis).  Prior to joining the Canucks, Schmidt was a top pairing defenceman on a Stanley Cup contender.  You bet he's worth a 1st round pick (especially a late one).

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s unlikely he makes it to free agency.

The Sabres will trade him this offseason and the team acquiring will make sure to sign him.

You want him you get him this summer or not at all.

Unless the player wants to play in vancouver then it wouldn't matter. I remember when Dan Hamhuis had his rights traded before the draft to the Penguins, but he decided to come and sign in hometown BC. Also, a year from now if fans can be in the stands near full capacity maybe next off season there might be a better idea of when the cap might go up, meaning players might not want to lock into term this off season if the possibility of knowing more about the cap isn't as far away as some are thinking it will be.

Could also just be a player is confident and bets on himself, which I think is the case of Reinhart considering he just came off a 1 year deal with Buffalo.

Just now, HKSR said:

So you think Boston will carry 16 forwards and 9 defencemen on the active roster?  Ok then, in that case, yeah no, they won't be able to afford Schmidt.

What a lot of people are simply not getting is that just because the Canucks got Schmidt for a deal doesn't mean he's not more valuable than the 3rd round pick it cost to get him in the first place.  He was only expendable by a Stanley Cup contender that found an upgrade on him to a RHD, and former captain of a Stanley Cup championship team (St. Louis).  Prior to joining the Canucks, Schmidt was a top pairing defenceman on a Stanley Cup contender.  You bet he's worth a 1st round pick (especially a late one).

Ok so I don’t even think you’re wrong with saying that just because we got Schmidt for a 3rd doesn’t mean he couldn’t be had for more. But there clearly wasn’t a bidding war for him last year, and after a down year with his contract there’s no guarantee he’s all that desirable around the league right now. I think if the Canucks were offered a 3rd for him this off-season there’s a good chance JB would make the move. If they’re offered a 1st then they would be stupid not to make the move, even if they weren’t going to add Reinhart and had no need to shed salary. But regardless the point you made there is very factual, just because we paid a 3rd for any player doesn’t mean that the potential isn’t there for him to land more in a future trade

2 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

If Benning trades our 9 th pick. It will be as bad as when he passed on Tkchuck. IMO.

I'm still thankful we didn't pick Tkachuk. Hated that guy then, hate him even more now. Glad he'll never wear our colors.

• Hydration 3
3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I'm still thankful we didn't pick Tkachuk. Hated that guy then, hate him even more now. Glad he'll never wear our colors.

I hear you, I didn't want that guy anywhere near this team. Fits Calgary perfectly. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

What I would really like to see is the same deal as what we traded for JT Miller

Which was..............

2022-1st (top 15 protected),........ which it means if we do not make the playoffs the pick is moved to 2023

At least as an initial offer.......maybe we reduce the conditions as a final offer, but certainly that is where I would like us to start.