The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If you read everything then why would you make points on things I have already addressed and acknowledged? You don’t see redundancy in that? How do you expect me to respond other than like this? You’re arguing points I already acknowledge and agree with.

I also didn’t say that every team that has won cups went through a rebuild the past decade.  

You’re making assumptions based off what I was saying. I was pretty vague and careful not to take much of a side. 

I think you misinterpreted me being factual. Even the points I made were in out of line  with the facts I even presented. 

I literally meant what I said in face value. Teams that have won cups have had these picks on their roster.  I simply stated a fact. 

Hell the fact that I included players that were top 5 picks that some of these cup winners traded for like Kessel, Schenn, Gaborik and didn’t draft should have given you a way better indication that I didn’t solely think drafting top players was the way on top of saying this. 

My point is they do help a lot if you can build around them properly.

Overall it's how you build after you draft these players. Even with these players it still can take a while like in the Blues/Caps/Lightning's case. It's hard to win the cup, we should know that more than most teams given our 3 Finals appearances. 

In regards to the Bruins I was trying to make the implication that you could argue that they’re the exception when I stated this. 

You could argue that Seguin didn't make that much of an impact

The person I initially made that post towards stated that 1st overalls in the 2010s haven’t had playoff success which is a fact. I pointed out that the 1st overalls and top 5 picks from the 2000s have won cups in the 2010s.

Tried to make the subtle implication that it’s kind of early to tell for some of these teams like the Oilers, Leafs and perhaps Devils which is kind of true consider that these cup winners didn’t win right away after drafting these players, it look a long time for some of them. 

I acknowledged the fact that it takes more than just top players and then even then it’s tough to win. 

Perhaps I need to be a lot more elaborate instead of being vague and neutral-minded. This isn’t the first time this has happened. 

Lol. Maybe clearly stating your position would be a good idea? Who would have thought?

Nah I feel you though. I tend to take some heat for going the other way. I know that I know my $&!#, I have strong beliefs, state them straightforwardly, and I never worry about people's feeling getting hurt if I disagree with them bluntly.

I never argue with the person, I argue with the argument. So when I see some vague but suggestive points like you posted, there wasn't really an argument there to argue against, but I didn't like the implications, so I just made a general argument. I still have no idea what your actual position is.

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Lol. Maybe clearly stating your position would be a good idea? Who would have thought?

Nah I feel you though. I tend to take some heat for going the other way. I know that I know my $&!#, I have strong beliefs, state them straightforwardly, and I never worry about people's feeling getting hurt if I disagree with them bluntly.

I never argue with the person, I argue with the argument. So when I see some vague but suggestive points like you posted, there wasn't really an argument there to argue against, but I didn't like the implications, so I just made a general argument. I still have no idea what your actual position is.

I was just trying to be factual. I wasn’t trying to state an opinion or much of one. I get how in response to the person I was replying to how that could be taken a certain way. Was just trying to point out that top picks have been a big piece of the puzzle(some more than others for these cup winners) because the implication I got towards the person I responded to was that they’re not. I stated it bluntly too but I have always been that sort of way, it’s normal for me. I could be interpreting what he was saying incorrectly due to a similar circumstance which would be incredibly ironic

My actual opinion I kind of stated but not fully in that it takes a lot of things to go right and even then it’s tough. You need top picks, to draft well beyond that, the right free agents, the right trades and etc. It’s far from easy.  

Also that’s it’s kind of early to judge some of these teams that have multiple top picks in the 2010s like the Leafs/Oilers/Devils and to a lesser extent the Canucks. Some of the teams who’ve won cups took over a decade after drafting these players to win like the Lightning/Caps/Blues(lesser extent). 

Who knows how things pan out years from now with some of these teams that more recently have these sort of high pick players. Maybe one or two of them can do the other things right and win eventually.

Hopefully we are one of those teams. 

• Cheers 1

Button has us picking Johnson. Not a fan but if he has Petey potential, then I’m all for it. McTavish was who I’m more interested in with our pick. He has great creativity, skillset and a solid 200’ player. Also he can put the puck in the back of the net. Nevertheless, pumped for the draft

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Considering Miller cost us 20OA, and he’s clearly a much better player than Rhino, I’m hoping we do equal (or better than Miller) if we do move that pick.  I’d be disappointed if we only got Rhino.  

6 hours ago, johngould21 said:

The more I think of it, what you're saying is a very good point. Miller for a 20OA was a good trade for both teams. Right now, Miller is one of our top 3 forwards, so I think a 9OA should get at least SR without giving someone else up. Horvat at 9OA, for Schneider is a comparable. I actually gasped when they announced the trade at the time.

He's a number 2 overall pick who is a quality NHL producer, projecting well and moving into his prime. It's a pipe dream to get him for a a quarter chance at a player straight up let alone getting more.

4 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Hyman might be a tad pricey for us, as well as Nuge. A name that keeps popping up for me is Armia, and you would think he would come a bit cheaper than those two. Though I think he probably re-signs in Montreal

Huge thumbs up there. He may get forced out as they've become elite. ::D

Nobody believes in us': Toffoli scores in OT, Habs beat Jets to complete  sweep

;)

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Button has us picking Johnson. Not a fan but if he has Petey potential, then I’m all for it. McTavish was who I’m more interested in with our pick. He has great creativity, skillset and a solid 200’ player. Also he can put the puck in the back of the net. Nevertheless, pumped for the draft

He’ll be the steal of this draft looking back in a few years. People are really underestimating Johnson right now deserves to go top 5. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Hyman might be a tad pricey for us, as well as Nuge. A name that keeps popping up for me is Armia, and you would think he would come a bit cheaper than those two. Though I think he probably re-signs in Montreal

Hyman should come in quite a bit cheaper than RNH tho, and Armia may not provide as much offence, but then again who knows once a guy moves teams. Hyman tho is 29 and maybe you don't get full value at the end of that deal.... its not easy. Safest bet tho is probably Armia in terms of value over the whole deal, so you could be right. 

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's a number 2 overall pick who is a quality NHL producer, projecting well and moving into his prime. It's a pipe dream to get him for a a quarter chance at a player straight up let alone getting more.

Going on stats, they are both very similar points wise, and I don't like to use points as a benchmark. Using this past debacle of a season Miller outpointed SR as well. I don't know, but I think Buffalo might just cut their loses and move on from Sam. I think the 9OA might be enough.

28 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Going on stats, they are both very similar points wise, and I don't like to use points as a benchmark. Using this past debacle of a season Miller outpointed SR as well. I don't know, but I think Buffalo might just cut their loses and move on from Sam. I think the 9OA might be enough.

what i want to know is how do the canucks afford his contract? even with letting all the ufa's walk and buying out a couple of contracts, i don't see the space for him.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

what i want to know is how do the canucks afford his contract? even with letting all the ufa's walk and buying out a couple of contracts, i don't see the space for him.

Good point Joe. I believe many are out of line with the bridge contracts Petey, and QH are going to get. Barzal just got his bridge deal at $7M per, and I think he's a fraction above Petey and QH right now. Very small fraction at that. So I'm thinking $6.5 area for our two guys. There's a Million, lol!

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Jones is going to Colorado.  They have cap space, it's his hometown and Sakic almost drafted him by all accounts.

I'd bet on the Avs being the home of Jones 

Adrian Dater of Colorado Hockey Now: Elliotte Friedman said over the weekend that Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Seth Jones would “love” to play for the Colorado Avalanche or Dallas Stars. Jones has already told the Blue Jackets he won’t be signing an extension with them.

there is a good chance that you are right.

I would like to be entertained by this Top 9 next season:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Reinhart

Hoglander - Granlund* - Podkolzin

* Mikael, of course

and the D:

Hughes - Hamonic

Martinez - Myers

Juolevi - Montour

Rathbone

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Adrian Dater of Colorado Hockey Now: Elliotte Friedman said over the weekend that Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Seth Jones would “love” to play for the Colorado Avalanche or Dallas Stars. Jones has already told the Blue Jackets he won’t be signing an extension with them.

Seth Jones has a M-NTC which means he is entitled to submit a list with 10 teams he can not be traded to. It will be very interesting to see where he ends up, because the most important thing for CBJ is that they get a 1C or 2C in this trade. There were rumors that had Jones going to Philly in exchange for Nolan Patrick. Philly would need to add, of course.

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

there is a good chance that you are right.

makes a great deal of sense. My $ is on Dallas but we'll see. Unless Colorado is willing to part with Byram and Jost I don't see them taking on Kadri's salary to make this all work.

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So is this officially the first draft without Brackett?  Will be interesting to see how it pans out...

2nd one....  Brackett was with Minny last year.  Mind you we had traded away our 1st and 2nd round picks last year so there wasn't much to work with. 

11 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

In our #9 spot, I figure either McTavish and/or Lysell will be available.  I'll be very happy with either.  They both bring different skills, speed, size and position from each other, but both will be a great fit for the Nucks for a long time.

Dude I’ve been watching and reading scouting reports On Lysell.

I love his game if he’s there at 20+ I want that pick

54 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would like to be entertained by this Top 9 next season:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Reinhart

Hoglander - Granlund* - Podkolzin

* Mikael, of course

and the D:

Hughes - Hamonic

Martinez - Myers

Juolevi - Montour

Rathbone