The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

How can you say that before seeing the trade?

Considering Miller cost us 20OA, and he’s clearly a much better player than Rhino, I’m hoping we do equal (or better than Miller) if we do move that pick.  I’d be disappointed if we only got Rhino.  

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
2 hours ago, HKSR said:

You lost all credibility on your hockey knowledge right there.  The Bruins actually have 11 forwards and 7 defencemen under contract for next season already and have nearly $27M in cap space to spend (Rask, Krejci and Hall make up $18M of that).  They have plenty of money to spend since Krejci and Hall are likely not returning.

Plus he's out until 2022 with hip surgery.

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering Miller cost us 20OA, and he’s clearly a much better player than Rhino, I’m hoping we do equal (or better than Miller) if we do move that pick.  I’d be disappointed if we only got Rhino.  

The more I think of it, what you're saying is a very good point. Miller for a 20OA was a good trade for both teams. Right now, Miller is one of our top 3 forwards, so I think a 9OA should get at least SR without giving someone else up. Horvat at 9OA, for Schneider is a comparable. I actually gasped when they announced the trade at the time.

• Vintage 1

This is an interesting read on top 10 draft picks being traded since 2005

How often are top 10 NHL Draft picks traded in June? - Sportsnet.ca

Only twice since 2005 has the a 9th OA pick been traded............

1. Schneider  for NJ Devils 2013-9th OA............thank you NJ!

2. 2007-9th OA for 2007-13th OA, 2007-44th OA, and 2008-3 rounder

Take a read!

• Thanks 2
  • Hydration 2
56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

How can you say that before seeing the trade?

For sure. We drafted Bo 9th overall with the Devil's trade. But if the possibility is there to trade for a Miller quality player, regardless of position, you seriously consider it. 

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1
11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

@Marv-the-wet-bandit 

This is why I was suggesting that 6th OA would cost 9th OA and 40th OA.  

In this case it was Logan Couture for Lars Eller and a guy that never made the NHL (44th OA) 

Just an example Marvin, but wanting to keep the 2nd round pick is fine too, just that the odds decrease significantly. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

@Marv-the-wet-bandit 

This is why I was suggesting that 6th OA would cost 9th OA and 40th OA.  

In this case it was Logan Couture for Lars Eller and a guy that never made the NHL (44th OA) 

Just an example Marvin, but wanting to keep the 2nd round pick is fine too, just that the odds decrease significantly. 

Oh I didn’t think you were off in value at all! They say it costs a 2nd rounder to move up 4 spots in the first round, top 10 the price is probably a tad bit higher then that so a 2nd to move up 3 spots is fair value. I just want to make as many early picks as possible so I would prefer to keep the 2nd and stay at 9. But you were bang on with your value prediction I think. Also my name isn’t Marvin, my username here is a Home Alone reference haha. Generally a 2nd rounder has about a 25% chance of hitting but Benning in particular has fared well in the 2nd, although this could be the year he gets a dud I’m personally willing to take the risk. To each their own though!

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

oh for sure, that would be a fireable offence for me if Jim did that. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

For sure. We drafted Bo 9th overall with the Devil's trade. But if the possibility is there to trade for a Miller quality player, regardless of position, you seriously consider it. 

the deal I'd want for Sammy is the 9th + Loui for SR. If not, its not worth it. But if we can replace Loui with Sammy thats a huge win, because we don't waste a year of Petey, Bo, Miller, Brock, etc's best years. 

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1
Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

oh for sure, that would be a fireable offence for me if Jim did that. 

Idea.  RNH as a UFA for our winger with Bo.  Trade 9OA (plus Bone?) for Jones.

Buy-out Jake (and whomever else needed) and don’t resign Edler or Sutter.  Sign Petey and Quinn to short bridges.

wonder if this is cap doable?  

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

This is an interesting read on top 10 draft picks being traded since 2005

How often are top 10 NHL Draft picks traded in June? - Sportsnet.ca

Only twice since 2005 has the a 9th OA pick been traded............

1. Schneider  for NJ Devils 2013-9th OA............thank you NJ!

Take a read!

thats pretty telling.... some not great decisions there. Bo is at the top of the list (from a good pov)

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Idea.  RNH as a UFA for our winger with Bo.  Trade 9OA (plus Bone?) for Jones.

Buy-out Jake (and whomever else needed) and don’t resign Edler or Sutter.  Sign Petey and Quinn to short bridges.

wonder if this is cap doable?  

I wonder if thats enough for CBJ.... I'd hate to lose Rathbone but from a hockey pov you do that deal all day assuming there's an extension in place.

Don't want Nuge. He's Western Marner. 

• Hydration 1
5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Multiple things trouble me about Jones : 

- Cap Hit ( rumours of 9-10M)- we'd end up spending too much on D unless we can move some $$$ out.  

- Another Offence first D. Add that to Hughes, Rathbone, Myers, Schmidt - thats a lot of wanderings from the back end that leads to some of the disasters we saw early season. 

The dude is a great player for sure tho. 

Sam would be cheaper - he can play center as well giving us some different lineup options and injury backup and he adds a level of smarts and passing that currently only Petey really brings to our top 9.

Jones is going to Colorado.  They have cap space, it's his hometown and Sakic almost drafted him by all accounts.

I'd bet on the Avs being the home of Jones 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Jones is going to Colorado.  They have cap space, it's his hometown and Sakic almost drafted him by all accounts.

The Avs have cap space?

Might wanna check who they have to re-sign.

• Upvote 2
53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@Alflives instead of Nuge, why not make a run at Hyman? I think he'd fit Green's game much better, he's good on either wing and brings some bite. 

Hyman might be a tad pricey for us, as well as Nuge. A name that keeps popping up for me is Armia, and you would think he would come a bit cheaper than those two. Though I think he probably re-signs in Montreal

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Avs have cap space?

Might wanna check who they have to re-sign.

I have.  I've also looked at assets they'll retain vs assets they'll either let walk or trade.

If Jones wants to go to the Avs they will absolutely be able to find room for him.  It's the following year they'll have the more serious issues.  My opinion only of course

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think the Avs will probably want to get their guys signed before they start swinging for big name dmen, especially considering how good their back end was this year.