The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

I think Brandt Clarke has good enough height but is just a touch on the light side - if he fills out and can continue to be committed to improving his defensive game, he could form an unbelievable top-pairing with Quinn.

Kind of reminds me of Victor Soderstrom as a prospect. Very skilled offensively, but better than people realize defensively.

If our scouting staff feel he can grow physically and develop the way VS has, Clarke has to be the guy for Vancouver to target.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, nergish said:

I think Brandt Clarke has good enough height but is just a touch on the light side - if he fills out and can continue to be committed to improving his defensive game, he could form an unbelievable top-pairing with Quinn.

Kind of reminds me of Victor Soderstrom as a prospect. Very skilled offensively, but better than people realize defensively.

If our scouting staff feel he can grow physically and develop the way VS has, Clarke has to be the guy for Vancouver to target.

Really liking Clarke but the Calgary Canucks and the usual suspects of: OTT , BUF and etc. of ever rebuilding clubs will be competing hard to draft him as well - smh.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

16 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Really liking Clarke but the Calgary Canucks and the usual suspects of: OTT , BUF and etc. of ever rebuilding clubs will be competing hard to draft him as well - smh.

Going to need some lottery luck! Maybe we should trade for Taylor Hall or facilitate a trade where we take some of his cap hit. He’s the lottery lucky charm. I think his team has won 1rst overall like 4 times I believe.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Going to need some lottery luck! Maybe we should trade for Taylor Hall or facilitate a trade where we take some of his cap hit. He’s the lottery lucky charm. I think his team has won 1rst overall like 4 times I believe.

Good catch - NJ caught two first in a row while he was there.   

At this point, I am glad JB is in charge going into the draft but the opposite can said be heading into FA & TDL - hindsight.  I just hope he learns from his past mistakes...

I’d be happy to pick 8-12...  see who falls.  gonna be sleepers everywhere throughout the draft though.  What a mess to scout.  Hopefully last years prescout pays off for Benning. 

Edited by 70seven
  • Cheers 2

we have fallen to a tie of 25th and 26th with flames  but we could fall as far as second  sens   wings ducks devils 2-4 points back from us  only sabres    far back from us they have last place in league guaranteed. We might win lotto tho  soo we def gonna draft in bottom 4-5 spots  should get a really good kid at the draft.  Theres no way even a injured hughes falls to 5th hes a top 3 pick  i can see clarke  hughes powers lambos eklund  being all in top 10

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Will be interesting this year, I really don't mind missing the playoffs and grabbing one more top 10 pick. Would love to get a shot at another Hughes to anchor our D for the next 10+ years.

I'd pass on Hughes, they don't need another offense first dman.  They need someone who can play some d back there, someone who likes to get his nose dirty.  Or another offensive cman

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Will be interesting this year, I really don't mind missing the playoffs and grabbing one more top 10 pick. Would love to get a shot at another Hughes to anchor our D for the next 10+ years.

You sure spell Clarke funny.

• Haha 3

Hey @HighOnHockey, someone who has really caught my attention is centre Francesco Pinelli. He made the bold decision to play against men in SLOVENIA of all places (which might be indicative of high character), and eliteprospects.com actually has him rated as their 6th ranked prospect!

What do you know about him? 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Hey @HighOnHockey, someone who has really caught my attention is centre Francesco Pinelli. He made the bold decision to play against men in SLOVENIA of all places (which might be indicative of high character), and eliteprospects.com actually has him rated as their 6th ranked prospect!

What do you know about him? 

Also, is there another potential Shattuck St. Mary's/UND connection here with Scott Morrow? Right-handed D man standing at 6'2 with some pretty eye-popping stats.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/201892/scott-morrow

5 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Also, is there another potential Shattuck St. Mary's/UND connection here with Scott Morrow? Right-handed D man standing at 6'2 with some pretty eye-popping stats.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/201892/scott-morrow

I appreciate folks asking my take on prospects, but I haven't seen either Morrow or Pinelli play. I mean, I guess I would have seen Pinelli at U17s but I don't remember noticing him.

The best I can offer is that I keep a list of hockey league rankings, and I have the AlpsHL roughly similar in overall quality to the CHL leagues, and actually a little worse. So on the face of it, Pinelli's 11 points in 13 games shouldn't blow anyone away. But on the other hand, it's not an exact science - the quality of talent may not be all that high, but he's still 17 in a league of adult (semi)-professional athletes, so the difference in size, strength and experience would likely offset some of his skill level.

20 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I appreciate folks asking my take on prospects, but I haven't seen either Morrow or Pinelli play. I mean, I guess I would have seen Pinelli at U17s but I don't remember noticing him.

The best I can offer is that I keep a list of hockey league rankings, and I have the AlpsHL roughly similar in overall quality to the CHL leagues, and actually a little worse. So on the face of it, Pinelli's 11 points in 13 games shouldn't blow anyone away. But on the other hand, it's not an exact science - the quality of talent may not be all that high, but he's still 17 in a league of adult (semi)-professional athletes, so the difference in size, strength and experience would likely offset some of his skill level.

I wonder if the quality of that league is different this year because of all the high end young players having to scramble and play overseas. 

On 4/6/2021 at 8:19 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

Doubt buffalo. They need a guy like beniers more. He may not be the 100 point type player that you would take, but he is a culture changer that they need

I am more wondering if we actually get back playing hockey, if we will be a little slow getting back in hockey shape. I realize that the NHL would not just throw us back out there right away, but I can see us, when we are 15-17 or so back, being able to ice a team. If we do, I am not sure how well we will compete. We could take a few losses before being game shape. I say this as I could see us dropping into the 6 to 8 spot, which would be a much better spot to be in the draft.

In saying that.......the more I read, the more, I would love a another late 1st, early 2nd, and wonder how we get it? I have been racking my brains out, trying to see away, of getting there. One scenario is moving DiPietro + a 3rd to Buffalo for their 2nd. Would it be enough? Are there better alternatives?

Not going to look at the 6-8 spots yet, but in the 9, 10, 11 spots, I like 

- Guenther LW..........................Probably gone at 10

- Johnson C..............................Probably wont be there at 10 also

- Sillinger C...............................Pure Offense, a long term replacement for BO?

- Lambos LHD..........................The guy is ranked anywhere from 4th to 13th........do we need another RHD?

- Raty C.....................................Not a great year but all the trimmings ............anyone  hot on him?

- Ceulemans RHD.....................Dark Horse..............I think he will move up in the draft order!

No sub- 6'0" foot players

A couple of guys that won't be there at 42, that I like are

- Svechkov ( Defensive center- ranked anywhere from 24 to 37 on the lists I have seen)

- Morrow (A real offensive RHD, who does not know defense......it can be taught)

- Sobolev (Not as highly ranked as Morrow from what I see, more of a 2 way RHD)

I would love to get 3 off of those 2 lists.........is it possible?

If we are getting another early pick it will involve either a combination of assets, picks and players

Our UFA's will play out the year...............there is always some bloody reason. So nothing coming from them.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on these guys...thanks