The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

i could live with a defense of;

graves...schmidt

hughes...hamonic

rathbone...myers

juolevi...chatfield.

our 2nd round pick and lockwood.

i don't know how we fit him into our cap but would make our D better.

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

There’s a good Cam robinson interview on YouTube with Canuck Clay 

goes into detail on his on his top ten 

has Mctavish 2nd

high on Eklund 

Isnt a fan of Edvinsson 

Thinks Johnson could be the most skilled player in the draft 

Thinks that if Hughes doesn’t go to New Jersey he could be available at our pick 

Would take Johnson if Edvinsson Johnson and Hughes were all left on the board 

Thinks that Walstedt should be a top ten pick but has his doubts that he’ll go that high

That was very interesting

Cam's comparables were most surprising to me, and makes me wonder if this Draft class will amount to much lol Well, except for a few of them. 

Power - Parayko or Pietrangelo

Beniers - Larkin

McTavish - Dubois

Clarke - Theodore

Guenther - Toffoli

Eklund - he didn't have a comparable

Hughes - Rathbone

Johnson - Baertschi

Edvinsson - Ristolainen

Cam also mentioned Wallstedt, and said something interesting how he could be in the NHL in 2 years, whereas it's taken Demko 7 years to get to this point. This Wallstedt kid is elite and I wonder if he's actually VAN"s best bet for the #9. Would be a great trading piece if they decide to. 

• Hydration 1
45 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I really like the idea of Mason's shot with Podkolzin's play making and their respective in your face style. 

I mean if I look at the draft from a need standpoint. And toss out all of the "would be nice to have" guys.  

1 Clarke Top 4 RHD all round

2 Beniers 200" C with speed and skill

3 Mctavish Physical secondary scoring defensively responsible C

4 Edvinsson Big physical elite skating gun slinger D

5 Sillinger High IQ secondary scoring C that can be used in all game situations. 

6 Lysell Puck hound RW with high end speed and skill. 

I think its very likely that we get one of these guys that would mesh so well with our group. That being said Eklund, Luke, Johnson, Guenther, Wallstedt, Power would be nice to have. So I think no matter what we are getting a very good player at 9 so I'm pretty happy.

Unless Benning wants to be aggressive in the trade front. I could see him entertaining the idea of trading this pick if the top 4 dmen are gone.

Who are the guys most likely to be left for us at 9?

Power is no chance.

Beniers is no chance.

But after that, couldn’t any of these guys fall?

Edvinson, Clark, Eklund, McTavish, Hughes?  I’d be happy if we got any of these guys. 

If all those guys are gone, and we are left with Johnson or Gunther I’d hope GMJB trades the pick.  

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I really like the idea of Mason's shot with Podkolzin's play making and their respective in your face style. 

I mean if I look at the draft from a need standpoint. And toss out all of the "would be nice to have" guys.  

1 Clarke Top 4 RHD all round

2 Beniers 200" C with speed and skill

3 Mctavish Physical secondary scoring defensively responsible C

4 Edvinsson Big physical elite skating gun slinger D

5 Sillinger High IQ secondary scoring C that can be used in all game situations. 

6 Lysell Puck hound RW with high end speed and skill. 

I think its very likely that we get one of these guys that would mesh so well with our group. That being said Eklund, Luke, Johnson, Guenther, Wallstedt, Power would be nice to have. So I think no matter what we are getting a very good player at 9 so I'm pretty happy.

I feel if Wallestedt is at 9, and if Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson is gone, you take Wallestedt . High key would hate to see Wallestedt drafted by Calgary at 12 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who are the guys most likely to be left for us at 9?

Power is no chance.

Beniers is no chance.

But after that, couldn’t any of these guys fall?

Edvinson, Clark, Eklund, McTavish, Hughes?  I’d be happy if we got any of these guys. 

If all those guys are gone, and we are left with Johnson or Gunther I’d hope GMJB trades the pick.  

McTavish might be at 9. But I rather have Wallestedt. Gimme that FRANCHISE goalie and lets have another goalie controversy :bigblush::towel::emot-parrot:

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Unless Benning wants to be aggressive in the trade front. I could see him entertaining the idea of trading this pick if the top 4 dmen are gone.

Depends on who is there. If Eklund or Mctavish are there you have to make that pick. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I feel if Wallestedt is at 9, and if Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson is gone, you take Wallestedt . High key would hate to see Wallestedt drafted by Calgary at 12 

I'm all for taking Wallstedt however I also think there are teams that will be chomping at the bit to acquire our pick to draft him sooo the possible return might make it more worthwhile to move down.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regarding trading the pick we should of course consider it for the right deal, but one thing that often gets overlooked is that you need a constant pool of young players on ELC making the team to stay good over time. So having a player from this draft make the team in 2-3 years is equally important vs adding a good player via trade this year. Especially since we're not ready to contend yet anyway.

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm all for taking Wallstedt however I also think there are teams that will be chomping at the bit to acquire our pick to draft him sooo the possible return might make it more worthwhile to move down.  

I think the usual cost of moving up a couple spots to draft earlier is like a 2nd round pick. Is that enough for you? Just wondering

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

I think the usual cost of moving up a couple spots to draft earlier is like a 2nd round pick. Is that enough for you? Just wondering

I think if we have to choose from Guenther Johnson Wallstedt I feel like getting 2 of Svechkov, Sillinger, Ceulemans, heimosalmi and addressing 2 areas of need VS 1 nice to have would be worth it.

Edited by hammertime
20 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Wasn't he talking about if Wallstedt is still available at 9 though? Wouldn't that be more a 2nd and...

Because, if it's say Detroit (because I hear people say Detroit is most likely to want Wallstedt) their first would already be gone. Even if it's Detroit 22nd it would still be 22nd and...

Or even right across. Here's a silly hyperbolic fantasy to make a point. Wallstedt at 9 for Seider. :rolleyes: So, that's not going to happen but as an example, yeah that would be enough. ;)

Or again just for fun...

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-prospect-rankings-2021/

4 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I dont think they will fall to the second round. 

how about 2 late firsts from cbj or minni? maybe they like Guenther Johnson?

Edited by hammertime
1 minute ago, hammertime said:

how about 2 firsts from cbj or minni?

Minni has 21 and 25?, I dont see Sillinger falling that far. Svechkov & Celeusman is POSSIBLE but who knows. 

10 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Minni has 21 and 25?, I dont see Sillinger falling that far. Svechkov & Celeusman is POSSIBLE but who knows. 

Sure Ceulemans Heimasalmi in the first, Koivunen , Salminen, Helenius Jake Martin with our 2nd. 

if we are doing the trade for only a 1st and 2nd the 1st needs to be top 15 minimum. 

Just now, hammertime said:

Sure Ceulemans Heimasalmi in the first, Koivunen , Salminen, Helenius Jake Martin with our 2nd. 

if we are doing the trade for only a 1st and 2nd the 1st needs to be top 15 minimum. 

I feel a team might try to finesse us and offer mid 1st and 2nd. In your example wouldnt surprise me if Minni was like 21 and their 2nd