The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m just hoping we have more to choose from than Johnson and Gunther.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m just hoping we have more to choose from than Johnson and Gunther.  

Alf ...question does the heart the mug of beer and Vintage all kind of mean the same thing ?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Nurnge said:

Johnson keeps getting compared to a young EP so that would be nice

So this seems to come up a lot......

Aside from both having elite skill and frail frame. I don't see the comparison.

Pete had high end vision and defensive awareness at that age that I just don't see from Johnson. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who was the last WHL winger we picked top ten?  

Garth Butcher

I've been asleep for the last 4 decades so maybe there have been a few others in between.

22 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Your namesake was a defenseman

Yes. My comment was meant to be in jest.

Much like Alf, both were in their prime in the 80's

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Who was the last WHL winger we picked top ten?  

Is your argument against picking Dylan Guenther the fact that Jake Virtanen didn't turn out? Do we even need to get into the conversation of draft expectation (the Bob father has Dylan at 2, while Jake was a reach)? Or the fact that they play completely different styles of games? Or came from different organizations? Or... You know what.. nevermind.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

So this seems to come up a lot......

Aside from both having elite skill and frail frame. I don't see the comparison.

Pete had high end vision and defensive awareness at that age that I just don't see from Johnson. 

Me either. I see a lot of Teravainen in Johnson which for me isn't bad thing. If Johnson can learn to play with more pace, I think he can be an excellent player.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Is your argument against picking Dylan Guenther the fact that Jake Virtanen didn't turn out? Do we even need to get into the conversation of draft expectation (the Bob father has Dylan at 2, while Jake was a reach)? Or the fact that they play completely different styles of games? Or came from different organizations? Or... You know what.. nevermind.

I do think Jake was a much more divisive pick back in the day.

Guenther is looking to be more in the can't miss category where some scouts had Jake ranked much lower and Button even had him in the lower part of the second round.

I think the big difference being that Virtanen was a man playin among boys as he developed phyically and relyed too much on that aspect of his game and that doesn't bode well in the NHL. 

For Alf's benefit, Guenther is a different type of player. Yes he is similar in being a great skater with excellent acceleration and plays the wing in the WHL but the similarities really stop there. 

Guenther is better rounded as scoouts have him as a great playmaker with excellent vision who is strong in the defensive end.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Brock Boeser 2.0?

There's a quote from his coach in an article from the Athletic saying that he's "the Tom Brady of hockey", referring to the fact that that he didn't let his knee injury bog him down and that absolutely nothing phases him. He really seems to be cut from a different cloth in regards to how he handles himself at such a young age.

McDavid was able to make a full recovery after his knee procedure. I'm sure teams will have the full insider regarding his knee. He's definitely a top-15 prospect in his draft. Could be a sleeper at our pick. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

@HighOnHockey

Hey, here is something that might tickle your fancy

What about Braden Schneider (2020-1st 19OA) for our 2021-9th?

Schneider was a mid first in a deep draft, the rangers are deep on the RHD, and depending on who is available, maybe they would make that trade?

I know they are high on him, but Trouba is not going anywhere soon and Fox, and Lundkvist are penciled in for years to come too.....soooooo

Thoughts?

Edited by janisahockeynut