The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ahhhhhh

I guess, I just have a higher value on Rathbone

I would do Schneider + NYR 2nd for Vancouver's 2021-1st  and Schmidt

Yuck. Get outta here with that nonsense. I looked into it a little, and found a few possible options for a D partner for Hughes that might fit what I think he needs in a partner. Not sure how available any of them might be, but MacKenzie Weegar, Philippe Myers, Damon Severson, Henri Jokiharju, Dante Fabbro, Ethan Bear.

Weegar and Severson would be most ideal for the short-term; they're not exactly old, but currently in their primes. Jokiharju would be the dream scenario, but good luck getting him out of Buffalo, and probably same goes for Bear. Fabbro seems gettable, but he's still young and needs some development himself; maybe not the answer for Hughes right now, but I think he could be in a couple years. And then Myers is somewhere in between everything, he's not the perfect fit, but fairly young, solid and probably pretty attainable.

45 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Got a feeling McT, Guenther and Wallstedt will go before #9. I can see Hughes or Eklund shockingly being available at #9 though.    

For that to happen, we need to start spreading some bad rumours about both those guys and really start promoting the other guys. :P Let me start:

• There is an over-abundance  of good, proven LHD already in the NHL. Why take a risk on another one? Just draft based on needs.
  • Do you really think a short (5'10") and slight (172 lbs) C can play 1C in the NHL?

58 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Got a feeling McT, Guenther and Wallstedt will go before #9. I can see Hughes or Eklund shockingly being available at #9 though.    

I cannot see Eklund being there. Hughes maybe due to his foot injury and long recovery cutting into his development.

6 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yuck. Get outta here with that nonsense. I looked into it a little, and found a few possible options for a D partner for Hughes that might fit what I think he needs in a partner. Not sure how available any of them might be, but MacKenzie Weegar, Philippe Myers, Damon Severson, Henri Jokiharju, Dante Fabbro, Ethan Bear.

Weegar and Severson would be most ideal for the short-term; they're not exactly old, but currently in their primes. Jokiharju would be the dream scenario, but good luck getting him out of Buffalo, and probably same goes for Bear. Fabbro seems gettable, but he's still young and needs some development himself; maybe not the answer for Hughes right now, but I think he could be in a couple years. And then Myers is somewhere in between everything, he's not the perfect fit, but fairly young, solid and probably pretty attainable.

LOL......now you are talking like a HF Boarder! LOL

But seriously, I am not sold on anyone player, and my MO, is to make a statement to see if I can draw out some opinions we can chew on.......I respect your opinion, and must say, I am not sold on any one hockey player, more than looking for options.

Sometimes, I even draw out myself, in that I come up with something I am happy with myself.............in this case it was a comment about how I would handle this summer if I was Benning......

To repeat myself, I would use this years picks to fill in out RHD, and then I use 2022 and 2023 picks, and assets to fill in the remaining holes, what ever they are on the big club.

As some people on here have pointed out, Miller and Horvat are not getting younger, and are approaching UFA years.......

Back to the draft for a second. I remember a year or 2 ago, when experts were looking at this draft and saying it was going to be Dman heavy, with good prospects going late into the second and early 3rd. I agree with this, and although not a Great draft, I still think it will be a decent draft.

My motto for this draft is, take all available means to get Clarke and at least 1 more RHD in the second round. IMO, Clarke goes around 4 or 5, so you have to get out ahead of that, so to speak.

Now, if we can't, and this is where I draw on your services and opinions..........

I would like one of ......Ceulemans or Morrow later in the first

and

one of ...........Heimosalmi, Schmidt, Mailloux or Bar in the 2nd

So, yes, maybe we trade down in the first, after exhausting our original target "Clarke"

But my question to you is.............

What order do you put the rest of those guys? And did I miss a RHD that maybe is just as good? (I do recall a couple of others, but they seem to appear in some rankings and not in others)

Hey, and If I don't always say so, thanks for the dialogue, if is a learning experience and good for everybody, to exchange views........

PS.......polite?  Ummm, Sorry! (joke)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

For that to happen, we need to start spreading some bad rumours about both those guys and really start promoting the other guys. :P Let me start:

• There is an over-abundance  of good, proven LHD already in the NHL. Why take a risk on another one? Just draft based on needs.
  • Do you really think a short (5'10") and slight (172 lbs) C can play 1C in the NHL?

Might as well pretend his name is Luke Smith, he's not like those Hughes bros :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I heard Mason McTavish is related to Seth Rogen. And William Eklund doesn't know how to read. Weird, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everyone is saying these players are going early, not in order:

1. Powers

2. Beniers

3. Clarke

4. Eklund

5. Mctavish 

with that reasoning we will get one of 

Guenther

Edvinsson 

Hughes 

Johnson 

Lucas

leaving Detroit Columbus La

Detroit= Edvinsson ( most potential, + position based

Columbus=Johnson ( going for skill )

LA= Hughes ( defensive prospect they need ) 

Van = Guenther or trade down 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Everyone is saying these players are going early, not in order:

1. Powers

2. Beniers

3. Clarke

4. Eklund

5. Mctavish 

with that reasoning we will get one of 

Guenther

Edvinsson 

Hughes 

Johnson 

Lucas

leaving Detroit Columbus La

Detroit= Edvinsson ( most potential, + position based

Columbus=Johnson ( going for skill )

LA= Hughes ( defensive prospect they need ) 

Van = Guenther or trade down 

Trade down, or take Lambos or Ceulemans.  Not too much of a stretch for either.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I keep getting a Dougie Hamilton vibe off of Ceulemans for some reason

Edited by janisahockeynut

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

But seriously, I am not sold on anyone player, and my MO, is to make a statement to see if I can draw out some opinions we can chew on.......I respect your opinion, and must say, I am not sold on any one hockey player, more than looking for options.

Sometimes, I even draw out myself, in that I come up with something I am happy with myself.............in this case it was a comment about how I would handle this summer if I was Benning......

To repeat myself, I would use this years picks to fill in out RHD, and then I use 2022 and 2023 picks, and assets to fill in the remaining holes, what ever they are on the big club.

As some people on here have pointed out, Miller and Horvat are not getting younger, and are approaching UFA years.......

Back to the draft for a second. I remember a year or 2 ago, when experts were looking at this draft and saying it was going to be Dman heavy, with good prospects going late into the second and early 3rd. I agree with this, and although not a Great draft, I still think it will be a decent draft.

My motto for this draft is, take all available means to get Clarke and at least 1 more RHD in the second round. IMO, Clarke goes around 4 or 5, so you have to get out ahead of that, so to speak.

Now, if we can't, and this is where I draw on your services and opinions..........

and

So, yes, maybe we trade down in the first, after exhausting our original target "Clarke"

What order do you put the rest of those guys? And did I miss a RHD that maybe is just as good? (I do recall a couple of others, but they seem to appear in some rankings and not in others)

Hey, and If I don't always say so, thanks for the dialogue, if is a learning experience and good for everybody, to exchange views........

If we move up in the draft to take clarke then there is absolutely no reason to have miller and horvat on the team. We can get a boatload of picks for this year and next. This would absolutely show the players and city we are not trying to get better now but better in the future. We cant be just wasting prime years of miller and horvat on a team that is multiple years away from being competitive.

3 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Why are a lot of people complaining about Fabian Lysell's size but not William Eklund's even though they're identical in size (5'10" and 172 lbs) and Lysell's actually younger by 3 months?

I think it’s more overlooked because Eklund projects to stick at the center position. We’re loaded for wingers so to select an undersized one when we are starting to look small in the top 6 as is. However with Eklund to position flex and a little bit higher end skill I feel is harder to pass up. I like Lysell and think he’s a great prospect will become a top 6 winger but Eklund could become a more important top 6 Center and draws comparisons in the likes of Backstrom and Zetterberg.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

and

I think people are really reading too many draft rankings that all basically parrot each other or get their info from the same sources. I think Heimosalmi goes top 20. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I barely want to play this game. You know I'm BPA only in the early going. I would be all for taking a couple flyers on RHDs in later rounds, but first couple rounds it's purely BPA. I'd be ok with trading up for a RHD if that player is also the best available (i.e. Clarke), but trading back and missing out on a better prospect? Nah.

I don't know anything more about Mailloux, Schmidt or Morrow than you do. In fact, probably less. I'm just interested in doing my own scouting these days, don't spend much time reading scouting reports from media "experts."

That said, I'd rank the top three RHDs in this draft: Clarke, Heimosalmi, Ceulemans. The latter two are pretty much neck in neck for me, but at this point in time I'm giving the edge to Heimosalmi. I just don't see enough from Ceulemans to indicate particularly high offensive upside. Heimosalmi shows flashes of a potential superstar. But the difference in size closes the gap a bit, and that's not to say Ceulemans won't be a good offensive defenseman, but maybe more of a second pairing guy. One other kid I'm a pretty big fan of is Oscar Plandowski. Apparently his dad runs a power skating school, and it shows - kid is butter smooth. Half decent size too at 6'0, 190. Looks like he's ranked around the third round. That's a kid I wouldn't mind specifically targeting if he's there for the third round pick.

But honestly, if you're that dead set on drafting RHD early in the draft, wait until next year. That draft is stacked at every position, but none more than RHD. I started working on my 2022 draft profiles, and I won't go into detail here, but Tristan Luneau, Elias Salomonsson, Simon Nemec and Seamus Casey all look like bluechip stallions, and all are RHD. Then Ryan Chesley and David Jiricek are also really good, and likely first round options. Vinny Borgesi, Michael Mastrodomenico and Kasper Kulonummi could be names to watch as well.

I’m confident Benning will select the BPA on his list, when he picks at nine.  The thing is we don’t know what his list is, so his BPA could have Cuelemans or Lambos a lot higher than we might.  Benning could easily have Johnson and Gunther  outside  the top ten.  I’m just hoping we don’t pick Gunther.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think it’s more overlooked because Eklund projects to stick at the center position. We’re loaded for wingers so to select an undersized one when we are starting to look small in the top 6 as is. However with Eklund to position flex and a little bit higher end skill I feel is harder to pass up. I like Lysell and think he’s a great prospect will become a top 6 winger but Eklund could become a more important top 6 Center and draws comparisons in the likes of Backstrom and Zetterberg.

I was actually referring to the articles of various NHL draft "experts". I think we actually like Lysell here a lot more than average. For me personally, I would be delighted to get Eklund. For Lysell, many of the experts think he's the best skater in the draft so I was wondering. why his size keeps getting brought up but Eklund seems to get a pass.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I was actually referring to the articles of various NHL draft "experts". I think we actually like Lysell here a lot more than average. For me personally, I would be delighted to get Eklund. For Lysell, many of the experts think he's the best skater in the draft so I was wondering. why his size keeps getting brought up but Eklund seems to get a pass.

Maybe it’s a compete thing?  

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe it’s a compete thing?  

Lysell has one of, if not the, best motor in the draft. I'd personally say it's just down to stats. Eklund put up very good numbers as a draft eligible in the SHL. Lysell's numbers are quite average to disappointing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Lysell projects a lot like Hoglander in my opinion. His motor and play away from the puck are what you love to see in all prospects. But to answer your question I think the only reason nobody brings up Eklunds size is because he’s a top Center prospect and his overall offensive skill game is higher than Lysells at the moment. Top centre’s are harder to get than top wingers.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are NOT taking Ceulemans at 9 (also I finally found the man whose obsessed with Ceulemans). Fk no... I rather have WALLY 

If the top 4 D man are gone and Clark likes him 

You take fking WALLY 

Edited by DontMessMe
  • Cheers 1