The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well if these 1st rounders take 5 years then no but more realistically they should be ready in 2. Seems like were wasting miller and horvats prime years atm

So you think they only need 1 year of development before they make the NHL?

Thats not the norm unless they’re a top 5 pick. And in that trade it’s not even guaranteed it would be.

We’ve had one bad season in a weird COVID realignment year. I would hardly say we’re wasting their prime years. We took a step back after being one game away from the conference finals. Lots of building teams do this including the Avs and Lightning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Being two years away from contending doesn’t mean you’re rebuilding, that’s actually the opposite.

Also a 2022 draft pick wouldn’t likely be ready for at least 4 years (if you even get an NHLer)

We won’t be selling players off for picks. We’ll likely be doing the opposite.

Contender for the Cup or playoffs?

Trying to take shortcuts like management has done previously will only make everything worse.

Just now, AC Readership said:

Contender for the Cup or playoffs?

Trying to take shortcuts like management has done previously will only make everything worse.

You can’t become a contender until you make the playoffs a few years in a row and build off of success.  

Too many people on here think teams become contenders over night and look past all their shortcomings on the way there.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So you think they only need 1 year of development before they make the NHL?

Thats not the norm unless they’re a top 5 pick. And in that trade it’s not even guaranteed it would be.

We’ve had one bad season in a weird COVID realignment year. I would hardly say we’re wasting their prime years. We took a step back after being one game away from the conference finals. Lots of building teams do this including the Avs and Lightning.

Just dont believe our defense is anywhere close to being playoff caliber. Plus i dont see how thats fixed sooner rather than later. Yeah youre right probably 3-4 years hopefully than 2. Just think our chances are better when petey is 27 than it is right now if we capitalize on those picks

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Just dont believe our defense is anywhere close to being playoff caliber. Plus i dont see how thats fixed sooner rather than later. Yeah youre right probably 3-4 years hopefully than 2. Just think our chances are better when petey is 27 than it is right now if we capitalize on those picks

That can be fixed in a couple off seasons. That’s no reason to blow it up.

Youre also wasting most of Demkos prime years too. Makes absolutely no sense.

Like it or not Benning will be going all in in the next couple years.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That can be fixed in a couple off seasons. That’s no reason to blow it up.

Youre also wasting most of Demkos prime years too. Makes absolutely no sense.

Like it or not Benning will be going all in in the next couple years.

Well thats what i want is for JB to go all in. I want them to show horvat and miller that we wanna win now. I dont want them see JB do lil patch jobs that they perceive as this team is going nowhere and dont wanna sign again. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Imagine getting a season injury to Petey and/or Hughes and/or Demko and trading our 1st 2023 unprotected only to win the #1 pick and that team drafts Bedard :bigblush: 

Sounds about right

I don’t see us trading any 1sts past this years unless we already know the value or it’s a deadline deal where it will be 20 or later.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You can’t become a contender until you make the playoffs a few years in a row and build off of success.  

Too many people on here think teams become contenders over night and look past all their shortcomings on the way there.

This isn't even a playoff team with the current D and other holes besides having no depth.

D core, 3C, and depth in addition to being right up on the cap can't be solved in 2 years.

39 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

This isn't even a playoff team with the current D and other holes besides having no depth.

D core, 3C, and depth in addition to being right up on the cap can't be solved in 2 years.

Except most of that cap space will be opened up by next offseason so yes it can.

A top 4 D man, a third line center, and a top 6 winger isn’t some impossible task. We can easily add those pieces over tHe next couple years.

Only trick is getting the right players for the right prices.

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I mean no one expected us to trade for Miller :bigblush:

Yea but that was a calculated move and we had the option of deferring the pick to the following year.

If Benning had his team finish bottom 10 two years in a row after a move like that he would likely be fired.

I think that was a pretty safe trade based on the pieces we had and the pieces we added.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except most of that cap space will be opened up by next offseason so yes it can.

A top 4 D man, a third line center, and a top 6 winger isn’t some impossible task. We can easily add those pieces over tHe next couple years.

Already fixed all of this in my new proposal thread<_<

19 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I actually dont think it was THAT safe because if we lost to the Wild, we wouldve given a top 10 pick this year. 

Miller is worth the 9th pick in last years draft.

The odds of any first round pick becoming a 70+ point first line player are actually quite low.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea but that was a calculated move and we had the option of deferring the pick to the following year.

If Benning had his team finish bottom 10 two years in a row after a move like that he would likely be fired.

I think that was a pretty safe trade based on the pieces we had and the pieces we added.

I hated that trade then.  Still do...

For exactly logic similar to that you have proposed in this thread.  Making moves in sync with our teams time lines.

Two seasons ago we were not ready to compete.  We should have kept accumulating assets, continuing to create cap space. 

Right now, agreeing with you, might be the time to start moving forward in the here and now? Almost... My real opinion, as soon as we get past this draft. I would full on board regarding trading our 9th overall if we had $12 or $14 mill in cap space. For say Sam Reinhart and a key UFA.

But we dont have cap space. So it makes more sense to continue building (not re=building). 

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Have to resign Boeser first. Also is Bo in the long term plans too cause he's a UFA in 2 years? I say yes, but management might have a different plan.

I think it's easier to draft a Top 6 F and 3C besides the cap room it'll save, Top 4 D is a different story.

Can still do what you and I said. :lol: