The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I was curious when the last time the Canucks had 2 picks in the 1st round. 

My gosh, in 2014:

#6 - Jake Virtanen

#24 - Jared McCann

Blew that Draft 

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's definitely possible although it seems to happen with such regularity. It really seems as if they're still debating that selection right up until it's made. Like I've heard them confirming to each other the guy they picking which leads me to believe it's not entirely set in stone.

It’s a TV show too, so there could be direction to take all the selection time so previous picks can be interviewed and panel discussion can occur.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

to CBJ - #9 and Schmidt

to VAN - #24 and 2022 1st

Draft Ceulemans, or even Raty

2022 Draft is supposed to be real good

CBJ likes this because they get a replacement for Jones and get two picks in the Top 10

VAN gets a good prospect and a great investment for next year's Draft

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, don't know if Columbus does. Get a decent prospect in the system.

Trade Miller at the trade deadline for a 1st plus.

3 1sts in 2022, would be a defining moment for the future of the Canucks going forward.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Are we rebuilding now?

That trade makes absolutely no sense unless we’re rebuilding. ( hint: We’re not)

Just going by what GMJB said by saying he needs two more years, I'd say that's rebuilding.

Being a realist I don't see the Canucks making the playoffs next season and quite possibly 22/23. Not with the current D core.

Just now, AC Readership said:

Just going by what GMJB said by saying he needs two more years, I'd say that's rebuilding.

Being a realist I don't see the Canucks making the playoffs next season and quite possibly 22/23. Not with the current D core.

Being two years away from contending doesn’t mean you’re rebuilding, that’s actually the opposite.

Also a 2022 draft pick wouldn’t likely be ready for at least 4 years (if you even get an NHLer)

We won’t be selling players off for picks. We’ll likely be doing the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And waste 5 years of Petey and Hughes in their prime?

No thanks.  All that does is create a bunch of Eichels who are unhappy and wanna leave.

Well if these 1st rounders take 5 years then no but more realistically they should be ready in 2. Seems like were wasting miller and horvats prime years atm

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well if these 1st rounders take 5 years then no but more realistically they should be ready in 2. Seems like were wasting miller and horvats prime years atm

So you think they only need 1 year of development before they make the NHL?

Thats not the norm unless they’re a top 5 pick. And in that trade it’s not even guaranteed it would be.

We’ve had one bad season in a weird COVID realignment year. I would hardly say we’re wasting their prime years. We took a step back after being one game away from the conference finals. Lots of building teams do this including the Avs and Lightning.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Being two years away from contending doesn’t mean you’re rebuilding, that’s actually the opposite.

Also a 2022 draft pick wouldn’t likely be ready for at least 4 years (if you even get an NHLer)

We won’t be selling players off for picks. We’ll likely be doing the opposite.

Contender for the Cup or playoffs?

Trying to take shortcuts like management has done previously will only make everything worse.

Just now, AC Readership said:

Contender for the Cup or playoffs?

Trying to take shortcuts like management has done previously will only make everything worse.

You can’t become a contender until you make the playoffs a few years in a row and build off of success.  

Too many people on here think teams become contenders over night and look past all their shortcomings on the way there.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So you think they only need 1 year of development before they make the NHL?

Thats not the norm unless they’re a top 5 pick. And in that trade it’s not even guaranteed it would be.

We’ve had one bad season in a weird COVID realignment year. I would hardly say we’re wasting their prime years. We took a step back after being one game away from the conference finals. Lots of building teams do this including the Avs and Lightning.

Just dont believe our defense is anywhere close to being playoff caliber. Plus i dont see how thats fixed sooner rather than later. Yeah youre right probably 3-4 years hopefully than 2. Just think our chances are better when petey is 27 than it is right now if we capitalize on those picks

48 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I was curious when the last time the Canucks had 2 picks in the 1st round. 

My gosh, in 2014:

#6 - Jake Virtanen

#24 - Jared McCann

Blew that Draft 

McCann isnt bad. Hes an above average NHLer 

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Just dont believe our defense is anywhere close to being playoff caliber. Plus i dont see how thats fixed sooner rather than later. Yeah youre right probably 3-4 years hopefully than 2. Just think our chances are better when petey is 27 than it is right now if we capitalize on those picks

That can be fixed in a couple off seasons. That’s no reason to blow it up.

Youre also wasting most of Demkos prime years too. Makes absolutely no sense.

Like it or not Benning will be going all in in the next couple years.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Imagine getting a season injury to Petey and/or Hughes and/or Demko and trading our 1st 2023 unprotected only to win the #1 pick and that team drafts Bedard :bigblush: 

Sounds about right

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That can be fixed in a couple off seasons. That’s no reason to blow it up.

Youre also wasting most of Demkos prime years too. Makes absolutely no sense.

Well thats what i want is for JB to go all in. I want them to show horvat and miller that we wanna win now. I dont want them see JB do lil patch jobs that they perceive as this team is going nowhere and dont wanna sign again. 

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Imagine getting a season injury to Petey and/or Hughes and/or Demko and trading our 1st 2023 unprotected only to win the #1 pick and that team drafts Bedard :bigblush: 

Sounds about right

I don’t see us trading any 1sts past this years unless we already know the value or it’s a deadline deal where it will be 20 or later.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You can’t become a contender until you make the playoffs a few years in a row and build off of success.  

Too many people on here think teams become contenders over night and look past all their shortcomings on the way there.

This isn't even a playoff team with the current D and other holes besides having no depth.

D core, 3C, and depth in addition to being right up on the cap can't be solved in 2 years.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see us trading any 1sts past this years unless we already know the value or it’s a deadline deal where it will be 20 or later.

I mean no one expected us to trade for Miller :bigblush: