The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Regarding the ongoing discussion about Lysell I am going to fully trust Shane Malloy, author of the art of scouting. Dhali asked Malloy about Lysell at the 7:03 minute mark in this video. Anyway Canucks can pick another player who plays an inconsistent game like Jake Virtanen and they can hope for a time span of several years that he finally become consistent, but this hasn't happen with Jake and this won't happen with Lysell.

just to add: lack of work ethic and inconsistent. That's basically Jake Virtanen in a nutshell.

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Easily cost you the 2nd round pick 

If Clarke is there at six, and the cost is pick 40, then it’s worth that value.  But imo Detroit will select Wallstadt at six to get their goalie. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. If we wait for our drafted players to make contributions (usually 2-3 years away), then we are wasting Horvat and Miller’s prime years. But why can’t we draft the players in every year, and add or trade for players that management feels would help us now to compete? 

I think that’s the goal right. Always be stockpiling for the future, but also make this current roster as competitive as it can be at the moment. That means being aggressive signing UFA’s, and making the right trades to supplement the present core pieces 

Horvath will still be with this team and in his prime well beyond 2 or 3 years. 

Miller is another story. It was a good move to bring him in and he is a good player but he may be gone in a few years. Had we kept the pick and every other traded pick this exemplifies the need to build from the draft so you core reach their prime together. 

The nucks need not be trading picks at this juncture. They are not yet on the verge of  being the 2011 powerhouse, not even close. Once they get closer is when these moves should occur.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Almost certain DET take Wallstedt.

They have real good forwards in Zadina, Raymond, Veleno, Grewe and Rasmussen. They also have Seider on D, who will be very good, and a few other good D prospects. They need world class goaltending. 

17 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I am cheering for Lysell at our spot.

He could be inconsistent?  Score 35 points. Breakout for 60 one year, maybe two? All of that in line with his bio, the risk in his pick.  Cheering for him without guaranteeing a 70 or 80 point guy.

Our team would have high end finish on the wing in Boeser.  Wicked, wicked speed, stick skills >> athleticism in Hoglander & Lysell. Power and grit in Podz. Two of these guys, at least, being fierce battlers, puck trackers. It would have the potential to have athletic skills teams have trouble matching up to.

Unless a Guenther or Eklynd, or Clarke fall...

There are variables. He should interview well, answer questions where we feel he is not an attitude issue? 

I am a fan of the best athlete within a group pf otherwise close prospects!

I want to like Lysell, I just dont think he would be a good fit for our top 6. Come playoff time that is a pretty soft/small looking core. I trust our European scouts though. 

• Upvote 2

IMO, it doesn't matter how much skill a player has if he isn't tough as nails and plays without fear. Look at Caufield, small player, but holy geez, he's going to be a star. He's not afraid to make moves or go to the tough areas. Confident player, who knows his whole team has his back.

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They have real good forwards in Zadina, Raymond, Veleno, Grewe and Rasmussen. They also have Seider on D, who will be very good, and a few other good D prospects. They need world class goaltending. 

It'll be interesting to see if anyone falls and they decide to pass to go for the goalie. They passed on Quinn for Zadina. With that said, I agree they could use a solid goaltending prospect. Some suggest they could pass on Wallstedt and take Cossa later. It would be shocking if they took both goalies with their 1st rounders to lessen the risk of one "busting". It could also set them up for years or be able to move one to fill an area of need should both pan out.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

IMO, it doesn't matter how much skill a player has if he isn't tough as nails and plays without fear. Look at Caufield, small player, but holy geez, he's going to be a star. He's not afraid to make moves or go to the tough areas. Confident player, who knows his whole team has his back.

Must be nice, when someone takes a run at our small players:

flee the simpsons GIF

jim carrey boxing GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Never have enough top quality centre’s either. I do have a hunch it’s Wallstadt but I’m also thinking they’re a dark horse for McTavish. Either one of those guys is what I’m thinking Detroit does.

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Have you noticed the size of his team mates... Nothing wrong with a few small/skinny players, but Canadiens are hardly a bunch of Hobbits... 

We've got BB, Petey, Hogs in top 6 already, and only a few heavies in the line up in general... I'd be slightly concerned if we keep going down that road, except for a superstar in the making... We need size, hopefully with a bit of roughness to them... Another Podz or similar ould be so perfect... Or a Miller type...drool...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I listened to a YouTube mock draft on my drive today instead of listening to that irritating “People’s show” 

although i I don’t  agree with his player assessment I actually don’t mind his top ten 

1. Buffalo - Powers

2. Seattle- Beniers

3. Anaheim- Guenther

4. New Jersey- Hughes

5. Columbus- Eklund

6.  Detroit - Walstedt

7. San Jose- Clarke

8. LA - Edvinsson

9. Van- Johnson 

if in that position I would think it would be McTavish but you never really know who will have a more successful NHL career 

Skill does seem to by overtaking the NHL 

Interesting, that's exactly what I predicted in my proposal thread, so I ended up proposing the Canucks move up 3 spots to 6 to grab Clarke.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Interesting, that's exactly what I predicted in my proposal thread, so I ended up proposing the Canucks move up 3 spots to 6 to grab Clarke.

Yeah I brought it up a couple days ago in the thread if one of the dmen or Eklund were available trading with Detroit who seem to be keen on adding futures. I think the more likely proposal is just 6th overall for 9th and either 2021 or 2022 2nd round pick. It costs a lot to move around in the top of the first round. There’s no way Detroit would slide 3 spots to 9th where players are premium blue chip prospects to only gain 7 spots in the 2nd round. If it meant getting a dman prospect or who I feel could be the best forward prospect (also a Center) for the cost of our 1rst and 2nd I’d probably do that. I’d definitely do it if they agreed to offsetting the years and took the 2022 2nd rounder.

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah I brought it up a couple days ago in the thread if one of the dmen or Eklund were available trading with Detroit who seem to be keen on adding futures. I think the more likely proposal is just 6th overall for 9th and either 2021 or 2022 2nd round pick. It costs a lot to move around in the top of the first round. There’s no way Detroit would slide 3 spots to 9th where players are premium blue chip prospects to only gain 7 spots in the 2nd round. If it meant getting a dman prospect or who I feel could be the best forward prospect (also a Center) for the cost of our 1rst and 2nd I’d probably do that. I’d definitely do it if they agreed to offsetting the years and took the 2022 2nd rounder.

I agree in most years it costs a lot to move up in the 1st round, but even GMJB said, there's 9 top guys that they like (which is probably relatively consistent across all teams), and with a draft where rankings are much more unpredictable than other years due to covid, moving from 6 to 9 or 9 to 6 shouldn't be a huge difference in value. 

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I don’t think that Detroit makes the trade if they are targeting Walstedt because SanJose would select before 9th. 

Which works out perfectly for us, the fear of SanJose picking Walstedt will force Detroit to take there guy at 6 giving us more options at 9 

On top top of that 

Theres always it least one head scratcher pick in the top ten, I’m predicting Lysell goes before our pick as the one reach from a team. Maybe SanJose. It’s proven that work ethic goes a long way in player development 

Powers- Buffalo

Beniers- Seattle

Clarke-Anaheim

Hughes- New Jersey

Mctavish- Columbus

Walstedt- Detroit 

Lysell- Sanjose

Edvinsson- LA

Van- Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, 

keep the pick, going to get a good player 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Lysell- Sanjose

Edvinsson- LA

I dunno, the Sharks passing on Eklund to get Lysell?

Canucks will have a few options at a possible NHL player one day. Or maybe Benning makes a big trade. 

If he drafts a Winger (Johnson, Lysell) - We need Centres!!!

If he drafts a D (Edvinsson) - Why did he pass on Guenther?!!!

If he drafts a C (Sillinger) - Why didn't he trade down?!!

If he trades the #9 - Our prospect pool is almost empty!!!

Can't make everyone happy

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I don’t think that Detroit makes the trade if they are targeting Walstedt because SanJose would select before 9th. 

Which works out perfectly for us, the fear of SanJose picking Walstedt will force Detroit to take there guy at 6 giving us more options at 9 

On top top of that 

Theres always it least one head scratcher pick in the top ten, I’m predicting Lysell goes before our pick as the one reach from a team. Maybe SanJose. It’s proven that work ethic goes a long way in player development 

Powers- Buffalo

Beniers- Seattle

Clarke-Anaheim

Hughes- New Jersey

Mctavish- Columbus

Walstedt- Detroit 

Lysell- Sanjose

Edvinsson- LA

Van- Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, 

keep the pick, going to get a good player 

If any GM is gonna go off the board with a head scratcher (but usually pans out) is good ol Jarmo in Columbus.  He'll end up picking Aatu Raty or something lol

Edit:  Just wanted to see how off the board he usually goes...

2020 - 21st OA - Yegor Chinakhov (not even ranked in the Top 93 on Bob McKenzie's list lol)

2019 - No 1st round pick

2018 - 18th OA - Liam Foudy (ranked 29 on Bob McKenzie's list)

2017 - No 1st round pick

2016 - 3rd OA - Pierre Luc-Dubois (good choice in hindsight, but over Puulujarvi back then was a shocker)

Anyways, go Jarmo!!  There's a guy ranked 92 on Bob McKenzie's list called Riley Kidney!  Cool name!  Pick him Jarmo!

Edited by HKSR
  • Haha 3

BUF - Power

SEA - Beniers

ANA - Clarke

NJ - Eklund

CBJ - Raty (then all hell breaks loose...)

DET - Wallstedt

SJ - McTavish

LA - Cossa

VAN - Lysell

(with Guenther, Hughes, Edvinsson and Johnson still on the table)  :picard:

Benning:  Daaaah, we needed more skill in our Top 6 to play with Petey and Brock, and uhhhh, we still felt we could get real good players in later rounds

• Haha 1