Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

BUF - Power

SEA - Beniers

ANA - Clarke

NJ - Eklund

CBJ - Raty (then all hell breaks loose...)

DET - Wallstedt

SJ - McTavish

LA - Cossa

VAN - Lysell

(with Guenther, Hughes, Edvinsson and Johnson still on the table)  :picard:

Benning:  Daaaah, we needed more skill in our Top 6 to play with Petey and Brock, and uhhhh, we still felt we could get real good players in later rounds

Not really jims MO to do something like that tho.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I see Scott Wheeler at theathletic.com has the Canucks taking Sillinger in his mock draft.

8A9DC4B4-616C-4D51-9861-C3353ECBBAFD.jpeg

Gotta admit I haven't seen a whole lot of Sillinger... definitely have me intrigued.  Brb while I scout him using YouTube lmao

Edit:  First impressions... average skater, good stick handler.  He looks very comfortable and capable in the offensive zone, but boy, he has a lot to learn about the defensive side of the puck.  Weak on back checks, and seems to regularly fail to cover his man in the defensive zone. 

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I see Scott Wheeler at theathletic.com has the Canucks taking Sillinger in his mock draft.

I didn’t think this was a mock. More like a ranking.

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Nice recognition.

I would take him after MacTavish, Johnson, Guenther and well well.  before a goalie or Lysell. 

That would put Sillinger in about my 9-11 range depending on who goes where. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Thanks for this insight..quite nice to hear.

So there ARE others out there making the top-8 GM's really scratch their noggin. Would prefer JB just keeps his stash, & chooses at #9. Why spend extra resources with this season's lack of certainty?

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

I know we don't need another winger more than we need RHD and C... but man oh man, this guy would be a great pickup in the 2nd round...

Get this... born in Ornskoldvisk... product of MODO...  if that isn't a sign of the success to come, I don't know what is.

Edit:  A bit more on him... 6'3" frame, already plays in the mens league, good skater, strong on the edges, excellent stick handler, plays hard along the boards, and creative with the puck. Not afraid to play physical either.

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I know we don't need another winger more than we need RHD and C... but man oh man, this guy would be a great pickup in the 2nd round...

Get this... born in Ornskoldvisk... product of MODO...  if that isn't a sign of the success to come, I don't know what is.

I guess the only thing I would caution from that video package is it's against what looks to be "easy" competition given the score. Certainly an intriguing player though that had been ranked in the late first in some earlier rankings, but has seemed to drop off a bit. Would be a solid add if he drops to our 3rd rounder.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I guess the only thing I would caution from that video package is it's against what looks to be "easy" competition given the score. Certainly an intriguing player though that had been ranked in the late first in some earlier rankings, but has seemed to drop off a bit. Would be a solid add if he drops to our 3rd rounder.

I don't think he'll drop that far.  He's ranked in the 40s on most rankings.  Too much potential given his skating ability, creativity, and size.  He put up 9 pts in 27 games in the men's league.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think he'll drop that far.  He's ranked in the 40s on most rankings.  Too much potential given his skating ability, creativity, and size.  He put up 9 pts in 27 games in the men's league.

If he’s there at 40, I could see our Swedish connection coming into play.  

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Fair enough. I need to see more of him to have a better gauge. With the scouting challenges this year, I could see some large movement. I'd be fine if we took him at 40, but it also depends on who else may be available. Just saying that if he does fall to our 3rd round pick, then it would be a solid addition at that spot, especially if many had him ranked higher.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Fair enough. I need to see more of him to have a better gauge. With the scouting challenges this year, I could see some large movement. I'd be fine if we took him at 40, but it also depends on who else may be available. Just saying that if he does fall to our 3rd round pick, then it would be a solid addition at that spot, especially if many had him ranked higher.

Doing a bit more research, IF Bjorkloven is actually a strong team.  3rd in the standings.  MODO was actually the crappier team...

https://www.sofascore.com/team/ice-hockey/if-bjorkloven/3747

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Doing a bit more research, IF Bjorkloven is actually a strong team.  3rd in the standings.  MODO was actually the crappier team...

https://www.sofascore.com/team/ice-hockey/if-bjorkloven/3747

Interesting. Also like the fact that he's signed on for Rogle (Hoglander's old team) for next season in the SHL.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Interesting. Also like the fact that he's signed on for Rogle (Hoglander's old team) for next season in the SHL.

Yeah, he's definitely a player I'm gonna follow to see how things pan out for him...

• Cheers 1

If we trade 9OA  (Wallstedt)

How about Joe Veleno and Detroits other 1st. 

We get our young 3C and and opportunity to draft Heimosalmi/Ceulemans top 4 RHD. I'm a big Veleno fan though so I may be biased. 

or 

Matt Roy and LA's 2nd LA has a bunch of D in the pipe.

Matt Roy would be a great partner for QH from "The Hockey Writers" October 31, 2020 by Zackary Weiner

Roy played every game for the Kings in the shortened 70-game season. He continued to produce as a hard-working defenseman every game, proving to be of value. Although he only put up 18 points, it was third amongst Kings’ blueliners, and he also had an incredible plus/minus rating. As a team, the Kings finished with a minus-32 on the season, but Roy finished as a plus-16. Even on one of the worst teams in the league, he was able to maintain solid defensive play while still contributing on offense.

Roy was able to achieve this while taking on a demanding load of ice time, finishing with 1,268 minutes. His hits and blocks show that he was playing a tough game for every one of those minutes as well, putting up 100 blocks, which led the team, and 132 hits, third on the team. So he was clearly a workhorse all season long.

• Upvote 1

Picture it:  Daniel and Henrik Sedin walk to the stage, up the steps to the podium, carrying a Canucks sweater. Henrik approaches the mic to speak and Daniel stops him to make the announcement, saying "the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select from Frolunda of the Swedish Hockey League, Simon Edvinsson"  (pronouncing Simon properly)

In the long run it could turn out to be a really great pick. Benning now has Brad Shaw as well, who will help if or when Edvinsson gets to the NHL. He's got a lot of upside and projects to be a top pairing D.  Funny, I've seen him being compared to Oliver Ekman-Larsson.  I guess Benning will just go out and get his own OEL. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I’m curious to see who we’re targeting with our 2nd rounder. Really interested in Cossa if he’s somehow still available at our pick. He would shore up our goaltending depth. However, he’ll probably be gone given he’s a projected 1st rounder. Bar would be nice as it would solidify our D for the future. I wouldn’t be surprised as well if we go with a FWD with our 2nd rounder. A C is a must as Sutter and Beagle are aging. Excited to see the Sedins possibly announcing our picks this draft