The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

20 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I am officially on the pick Johnson the local kid bandwagon, I just want to see a local kid get selected by us and become a quality contributor to the team with the end goal of hoisting the Stanley Cup. So if available, pick the local kid!

Sounds like Detroit is also very high on him, so he might go at 6 instead of many CDC people saying G Wallstedt is their guy...only time will tell I guess!

Would love the Johnson pick! Guy might be the most skilled player in this draft. I could see him being there because he doesn’t project to stick at the Center position and at times tries to rely on skill every play which at times might frustrate coaches. However with coaching I’m sure over time you’d learn when the situation requires the skilled plays.

12 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

They’re similar in the sense that both guys seem to have their mind lapses but I wouldn’t make that comparison. Virtanen in junior just seemed like a man amongst boys and physically dominated that league with speed, strength and a good shot. Edvinsson actually has loads of skill especially for somebody his size it’s amazing to see. At times Edvinsson can look like predraft Rasmus Dahlin. There’s a chance Edvinsson could be the best dman in this draft class.

I guess that could be the concern with McTavish... but then again, that shouldn't be a reason to not draft a big forward or defenceman lol

Just now, HKSR said:

I guess that could be the concern with McTavish... but then again, that shouldn't be a reason to not draft a big forward or defenceman lol

No it definitely shouldn’t but as long as you can visibly see skill and hockey IQ to their game they should translate well. It’s more so if you see crash and banger players in junior that more so excell doing that it will be harder to play that style against men.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

No it definitely shouldn’t but as long as you can visibly see skill and hockey IQ to their game they should translate well. It’s more so if you see crash and banger players in junior that more so excell doing that it will be harder to play that style against men.

That's the thing though... Virtanen has (had) such a strong package of speed, size, skill, and strength... who would have thought the hockey IQ aspect and work ethic would catch up to him. 

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He did play some games in a men's league in Europe during the pandemic. Had 11 points in 13 games in the regular season then followed that up with 7 points in 4 games in their playoffs. Another potential late 1st/early 2nd round options Brennan Othmann was on the same team and got more games, but only had 16 points in 34 games and 2 in the 4 playoff games.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He did play some games in a men's league in Europe during the pandemic. Had 11 points in 13 games in the regular season then followed that up with 7 points in 4 games in their playoffs. Another potential late 1st/early 2nd round options Brennan Othmann was on the same team and got more games, but only had 16 points in 34 games and 2 in the 4 playoff games.

I'm not worried about McTavish... his compete level is so damn high that there's no way he'll go the same route as Virtanen.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm going to go a little off the board, I would select Fyodor Svechkov.

The more I read on this guy and watch his highlights, his overall game seems a lot more refined at age 18 but yet still a lot more room to improve. Same knocks on Podkolzin in his draft year, is the same for Fyodor Svechkov. Very good in transition player, dominates possession, but due to a poor team and lack of good finishers, Svechkov's numbers are less than glamorous. 

He isn't a sexy pick, but I could easily see Jim Benning making this pick. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Othmann would be sweet if he fell, but likely rises after his performance for Canada.

26 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The more I read on this guy and watch his highlights, his overall game seems a lot more refined at age 18 but yet still a lot more room to improve. Same knocks on Podkolzin in his draft year, is the same for Fyodor Svechkov. Very good in transition player, dominates possession, but due to a poor team and lack of good finishers, Svechkov's numbers are less than glamorous. 

Happy Youtube GIF by Rosanna Pansino

I've said it earlier in this thread that I would be excited if we picked Svechkov. He's signed with Podkolzin's old team for next season. So while he might get the "kid treatment" there, it's a sign that they see the talent to pry him away from another squad.

The best part if Benning took him is the overreaction of why we took him. Of course if we could trade down and gain an asset and still nab him, then even better (which is what some would complain about while ignoring that it takes two to tango), I wouldn't be upset one but if we did end up picking him at #9.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I've said it earlier in this thread that I would be excited if we picked Svechkov. He's signed with Podkolzin's old team for next season. So while he might get the "kid treatment" there, it's a sign that they see the talent to pry him away from another squad.

The best part if Benning took him is the overreaction of why we took him. Of course if we could trade down and gain an asset and still nab him, then even better (which is what some would complain about while ignoring that it takes two to tango), I wouldn't be upset one but if we did end up picking him at #9.

Svechkov has a lot of Larionov in his game.  He’s a very responsible and cerebral player, that is subtly very good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, austy said:

Morrows skating looks pretty great. 

Sadly Morris will be long gone before we pick at 40.  I’d be surprised if he’s not gone in round one.  Hell, with that kind of size, skill, and character he might go top 20.  

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Svechkov has a lot of Larionov in his game.  He’s a very responsible and cerebral player, that is subtly very good.  

How long do the Canucks have to wait for him to come to NA, 2 years?

12 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

According to EliteProspects his contract with SKA runs through until the end of the KHL's 2023 season. So it would be at least 2 years for him.

• Hydration 1

46 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

At least 2 years, but that is pretty much standard development time and he will be in a men's league. Power who's projected to go #1 is likely to stay another year in college also. This isn't a draft where anyone needs to be rushed into the NHL.

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The Sedins talked about "winning matchups" being the most important aspect for winning games. Svechkov is allegedly a "defensive genius", and seems to have no problem putting up points too - so he could be the perfect pick (as far as that philosophy goes). I could see him being a mind-f*ck pick by Kekalainen at 5. I mean, they picked Chinakhov last year, so it's possible... :ph34r:

Then when the Sedins inevitably take the reigns for this team, they should bring Larionov over from Russia to join the organization in an executive's role. Imagine the collective IQ between those three... Alien-esque!!!!

I don't imagine Svechkov will be our pick though.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Hydration 1

6 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

The Sedins talked about "winning matchups" being the most important aspect for winning games. Svechkov is allegedly a "defensive genius", and seems to have no problem putting up points too - so he could be the perfect pick (as far as that philosophy goes). I could see him being a mind-f*ck pick by Kekalainen at 5. I mean, they picked Chinakhov last year, so it's possible... :ph34r:

Then when the Sedins inevitably take the reigns for this team, they should bring Larionov over from Russia to join the organization in an executive's role. Imagine the collective IQ between those three... Alien-esque!!!!

That would be the brain trust of all time for sure!!!   One can dream!

8 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I am officially on the pick Johnson the local kid bandwagon, I just want to see a local kid get selected by us and become a quality contributor to the team with the end goal of hoisting the Stanley Cup. So if available, pick the local kid!

Sounds like Detroit is also very high on him, so he might go at 6 instead of many CDC people saying G Wallstedt is their guy...only time will tell I guess!

I'm with you on this guy. He was at the game when Burrows slayed the dragon so by my books some of the dragon slayer-ness has most likely moved from one generation to the next.

https://www.tsn.ca/b-c-boy-kent-johnson-brings-creative-flair-to-nhl-draft-class-1.1659673

• Like 3

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

At least 2 years, but that is pretty much standard development time and he will be in a men's league. Power who's projected to go #1 is likely to stay another year in college also. This isn't a draft where anyone needs to be rushed into the NHL.

But Benning doesnt have time to wait 2 years to save his job