The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

The Canucks are dropping fast with not playing games.   
When they come back, the majority of the team will still be recovering from covid.   
Chances are we are going to lose more than 10 of those last 19 games.   Probably closer to 12-14 IMO.  

That leaves us in a great spot.  
Top 7?

My vote goes for Brandt Clarke.  
Right side dman who can play both sides and push the play.  
Great future partner for Hughes?   

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

The Canucks are dropping fast with not playing games.   
When they come back, the majority of the team will still be recovering from covid.   
Chances are we are going to lose more than 10 of those last 19 games.   Probably closer to 12-14 IMO.  

That leaves us in a great spot.  
Top 7?

My vote goes for Brandt Clarke.  
Right side dman who can play both sides and push the play.  
Great future partner for Hughes?   

Assuming we are drafting 4-7 and assuming Powers,Beniers,Hughes are gone I'd want Clarke, Johnsson, Guenther, Eklund...probably in that order. I think there will be a few surprises in the top 10. I think Pastujov and Silinger have a chance at making it into the top 10. 

3 hours ago, TGokou said:

Assuming we are drafting 4-7 and assuming Powers,Beniers,Hughes are gone I'd want Clarke, Johnsson, Guenther, Eklund...probably in that order. I think there will be a few surprises in the top 10. I think Pastujov and Silinger have a chance at making it into the top 10. 

Is Sillinger the son of Mike Sillinger, the former NHLer?  

Anyways I don't think that we'll be drafting 4th overall.  We're probably going to finish 8th or 9th from the bottom and at that point we're looking at Seattle Kraken jumping us, so we will either draft 1st or 2nd if we win the lottery, or 9th or 10th.  

As long as we finish in the bottom 9, I'll be happy...  all things considered. 

2 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I think Powers could be the guy that falls the most from their projected rankings 

That being said he’s prob a safe Kraken pick 

Kraken could go for a center with their first pick, lots of good D usually available in ED but centers not so much.  

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

3 i think

Just like the Vegas Golden Knights ahead of their 2017-18 expansion season, the Kraken will get the third-best lottery odds of teams vying for the top overall pick. 

In odds-speak, the Kraken has about a 10% chance to pick No. 1 overall and a roughly 33% chance at the top three. But you never know. Vegas had an 82% chance to pick top five but tumbled to a worst possible No. 6 once the lottery balls dropped.

13 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

is owen power still suppose to go 1st OA?

I don't really think there is a "supposed to go first overall" in this draft. Power was number one on McKenzie's initial rankings, but it was far from consensus, I've seen at least four different names listed as first overall from different sources that I have some level of respect for: Brandt Clarke, Matthew Beniers, Owen Power, William Eklund, and many of those have Power as late as 4 or 5.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1

This draft there’s no clear cut 1st overall. 

The entire top 8 is a crapshoot. Anyone can almost go anywhere. 

That’s why I hope, if we’re out of it, we’re able to get a top 8 pick. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

I was listening to an interview with an independent amateur scout who was talking about the importance, not just this year, but in general to have a good video team that supplied footage on all the players....  

It got me thinking, who was that dude that used to post all the Canucks' prospects videos back in the day, that actually ended up being hired by the Canucks to be their video scout or some title like that?  Can anyone help me here?  

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

50 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I was listening to an interview with an independent amateur scout who was talking about the importance, not just this year, but in general to have a good video team that supplied footage on all the players....  

It got me thinking, who was that dude that used to post all the Canucks' prospects videos back in the day, that actually ended up being hired by the Canucks to be their video scout or some title like that?  Can anyone help me here?  

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

He believe that would be former Canucks Army managing editor Ryan Biech.

He’s now working for the Canucks in video analysis and hockey analytics. By all accounts, doing a great job. Benning has mentioned Biech a number of times in interviews, and has stated that the scouting team will be relying on his input to an even greater degree, due to the unique circumstances of building a draft list during the pandemic.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He believe that would be former Canucks Army managing editor Ryan Biech.

He’s now working for the Canucks in video analysis and hockey analytics. By all accounts, doing a great job. Benning has mentioned Biech a number of times in interviews, and has stated that the scouting team will be relying on his input to an even greater degree, due to the unique circumstances of building a draft list during the pandemic.

Thanks homie! That’s the guy I was trying to think of!