The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Just now, 204CanucksFan said:

The issue with Edvinsson is that the general consensus on the player is that his biggest problem is between his ears and that is the most difficult issue to coach away.

I kinda think this is over blown. Kid's 18 he may be 6'4 but he has growing to do. Maybe Virt hit his ceiling early  because he is a dummie. Maybe Edvinsson isn't a dummie he's just an 18 yo kid playing in the SHL because he's 6'4 and can skate really ridiculously well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

VAN has Hoglander and Petey, they need a C with size/grit who will knock Bo down to the 3rd line...

EDIT - ...or eventually become the #2C. A lot of people are getting excited about so-and-so being a great future #3C, but really? Should we be excited by that ceiling? If the player isn't going to be a Top 6 forward or Top 4 D, then trade the pick. 

Pretty clear you don't like Johnson where it is clear to me he could easily be the bpa available at #9 and a high level talent who I would be happy to have as a Canuck. 

Agree to disagree I suppose.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, AC Readership said:

Should be able to get a 1st & 2nd for him in my opinion.

When do you trade him as he doesn't become an UFA after the 23 season, the 22 draft is very strong and the 23 draft has 2 generational talents?

Yeah. That’s probably the question right. If the Canucks aren’t contending for playoffs by next season, then I think you have to start selling at the trade deadline to recoup for the next season. Something that Benning hasn’t been willing to do during his tenure here. 

I don’t think Miller will be traded next season, I don’t even think he’ll be traded the season after. The time frame is 2 years to start contending for the playoffs right? His job is also on the line. So the ‘23 draft is probably out of the question. If I had to guess, Miller probably won’t be traded until after the ‘23 season, if a new GM comes in and Benning is no longer around. 

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Every player in this years draft has holes in their game. It will be up to the scouts to figure out what player has a weakness that can be over come. Like I said about Powers. He has some lateral mobility issues. Fast players in the NHL will expose that real quickly. Still a good draft year. 

That is why I suggested the thought of trading the 9th for two first lower down. Or a high second and a first. There is going to be some interesting players at the bottom of the first and into the second.

I’d even add to this and say that every player has holes in their game. Nobody’s perfect. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Here "u" go:

40. Vancouver Canucks: Logan Mailloux, RHD (SK Lejon, HockeyEttan) — Whether they address it with their first pick or do so on Day 2, the Canucks need problem solvers on the back end to take the heat off of Quinn Hughes and provide him with a stronger supporting cast. Mailloux has the size, wheels, shot, and high panic threshold that not only compliment Vancouver’s skill forwards in the possession game but also helps address depth concerns on the right side.

Never heard of this guy. I’m probably not drafting this young man, if there are better players available at 9. Is Mailloux the BPA at 9OA? 

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We need to go mcT or johnson (unless Eklund is there) and get that RHD in the 2nd. Lots of good ones projected in the second. 

Yea. that’s most likely the scenario for the Canucks in the 1st round. 

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Nobody knows how these prospects could turn out. McTavish could be the next Kadri and Johnson could be the next Patty Kane. Johnson is the most creative and most skilled guy in this draft. I like both prospects equally but if Johnson is picked people should be happy about it because some mocks have him top 5.

I’d be happy with either McTavish or Johnson. 

Neither is ready for the NHL this coming season. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Never heard of this guy. I’m probably not drafting this young man, if there are better players available at 9. Is Mailloux the BPA at 9OA? 

Mailloux is a potential 2nd round target not 1st round, ranked anywhere from end of 1st round to mid 3rd round. Has potential and is a big body that plays physically, skates well and has a cannon shot but he's never put up big numbers to be considered a top end prospect. Mostly raw potential but I think playing for the Hunters in London will only benefit him.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Like 204 said the kid is super raw but hes 6’3 and 215lbs RHD. Previous page i have a link for 2nd rounders. Guy has Logan going to us at 40 overall.

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:44 PM, Dazzle said:

He's got an excellent shot, with excellent shot placement. He's proven so much already in this playoffs, especially playing with Suzuki.

Cole Caufield might have been small, but there's no reason that he can't be an elite sniper, if he isn't already. His size is somewhat mitigated playing on a team that has plenty of size to support him. Suzuki's not even that big of a guy, but his skill is off the charts good. Size advantage is a bias that has been challenged by a shift/skill advantage.

Suzuki is listed at 5'11" and 208 lbs.  Not a shrimp.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

I kinda think this is over blown. Kid's 18 he may be 6'4 but he has growing to do. Maybe Virt hit his ceiling early  because he is a dummie. Maybe Edvinsson isn't a dummie he's just an 18 yo kid playing in the SHL because he's 6'4 and can skate really ridiculously well. 

Lots of maybes. Maybe Edvinsson figures it out like JV couldn’t or maybe he doesn’t. Lots of maybes. I’m sure they’ll interview him and find out what they think internally and if he’s available to us at 9 and they pass on him it’s likely because they also have IQ issues as he’s clearly very talented aside from his brain farts. If they take him then obviously they think they will be able to get the best out of him

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Horvat treatment. 1 year in junior then bring him up and have him as the 4th line center.

I’m not sure if every player should be given the Horvat treatment. Horvat in my opinion is a beast. He excelled even when Desjardins didn’t necessarily put him in a positions to succeed. He punched through whatever Desjardins threw at him. I’m not sure if Johnson is built the same way. The man is 165 lbs as of right now. I think he’d be ragdolled if played on the fourth line. 

1 hour ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Lots of maybes. Maybe Edvinsson figures it out like JV couldn’t or maybe he doesn’t. Lots of maybes. I’m sure they’ll interview him and find out what they think internally and if he’s available to us at 9 and they pass on him it’s likely because they also have IQ issues as he’s clearly very talented aside from his brain farts. If they take him then obviously they think they will be able to get the best out of him

I can see the Canucks taking Edvinsson if he’s there at 9th. Either that, or they trade that pick, either to go lower and get an extra pick, or they trade him for players such as Reinhart.

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m not sure if every player should be given the Horvat treatment. Horvat in my opinion is a beast. He excelled even when Desjardins didn’t necessarily put him in a positions to succeed. He punched through whatever Desjardins threw at him. I’m not sure if Johnson is built the same way. The man is 165 lbs as of right now. I think he’d be ragdolled if played on the fourth line. 

Im talking about mctavish not johnson. Johnson going to need 2 years at least maybe even 3 imo

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im talking about mctavish not johnson. Johnson going to need 2 years at least maybe even 3 imo

McTavish I agree could play much sooner. If McTavish and Johnson were available, who would you pick and why? 

Johnson I think has the higher ceiling compared to McTavish. But McTavish is the more physical player. They could both eventually fill in that third line role on the team. 

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

McTavish I agree could play much sooner. If McTavish and Johnson were available, who would you pick and why? 

Johnson I think has the higher ceiling compared to McTavish. But McTavish is the more physical player. They could both eventually fill in that third line role on the team. 

I would take mctavish only because i believe he can help the team sooner. Already has a NHL body and probably will be a better center than johnson would be. I see johnson being better as a winger. Mctavish could take over horvats 2nd line center roll and Bo moving down to 3rd line center when McTavish enters his prime.

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

21 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I would take mctavish only because i believe he can help the team sooner. Already has a NHL body and probably will be a better center than johnson would be. I see johnson being better as a winger. Mctavish could take over horvats 2nd line center roll and Bo moving down to 3rd line center when McTavish enters his prime.

Yeah. I think Johnson has a higher chance of boom or bust than McTavish does. McTavish to me, if he doesn’t fulfill and live up to his potential, then he can still be a middle six to bottom six player. Johnson, I don’t know if he can play a bottom six role. 

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

Although I disagree, I have to respect this position: decent chance the issues can be resolved and he turns out to be a stud. My only quarrel is with the suggestion that it is solely (or primarily) about an 18 year old kid in the SHL. I've had these same issues with him long before he played a game in SHL. Since U17s and 5NU17s. It wasn't as glaring as it became in SHL, but just little things of him getting beat by skilled players.

For me, the most important and beautiful moments in scouting always come from one on one matchups. I still remember going into 2012 U18s thinking Hunter Shinkaruk was the bomb, and then watching him meticulously and painfully defused by Seth Jones. Last year I was really high on Carter Savoie early in the season, and then at WJAC watching Shakir Mukhamadullin stifle and suffocate him at every turn.

So this is just one play and doesn't mean much on its own, but I decided to take the effort to go back and look up the first moment that really stood out to me in a negative way about Edvinsson. Go to 1:17:30:

https://video.hockeycanada.ca/en/c/wu17hc-russia-vs-sweden.104007

To be fair, that's the genius Fyodor Svechkov give and go with the unstoppable force Danila Yurov, but oy, that's not a good look. What the heck is he doing there?

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I think Johnson has a higher chance of boom or bust than McTavish does. McTavish to me, if he doesn’t fulfill and live up to his potential, then he can still be a middle six to bottom six player. Johnson, I don’t know if he can play a bottom six role. 

I've mentioned this before, but this would be an appropriate time to throw it out  there again: I think the "bust" element with Johnson is overstated. He's a hard-working kid who cares about playing defense, and his biggest weakness is he tries too hard to be a difference-maker. The team that drafts Johnson is going to be hoping for something along the lines of Giroux or William Nylander, but he's always reminded me in different ways of Kyle Turris and Jonathan Drouin. Point is, even if he doesn't turn out quite the way fans hope he will, I think he could still find a way to be a valuable NHL player.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2