The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

7 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

no surprises here, as expected Mc Tavish really high along with Guenther.

Works for me!

In that scenario we get one of Clarke, Edvinsson, or Eklund as long as someone takes Johnson, Wallstedt, or Lysell in the next two picks.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

no surprises here, as expected Mc Tavish really high along with Guenther.

Alf will be shocked if Geunther goes before Clarke and Eklund.  Alf we be shocked but excited, because better players fall to us. :towel:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf will be shocked if Geunther goes before Clarke and Eklund.  Alf we be shocked but excited, because better players fall to us. :towel:

Honestly there’s no run away prospect. Guenther being a winger is why people don’t like him. Bob McKenzies mock draft he released like 2/3 weeks ago had Guenther 2nd or 3rd overall I can’t remember. While I agree just with what Vancouver has in terms of prospects I value the dmen more than the wingers.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So the Hawks, when in their rebuild, picking Skillie at 8 and Barker at three had bad scouts?  Those same scouts drafted their three Cup winning key players during that same time.  All teams have misses during their rebuilding drafts.  It’s wether the scouts can find players with later picks to cover for those misses that’s key.  Benning, and his staff, have covered Jake and OJ with Hoglander and Bone.  Plus we got Demko in round two.  We have several good young prospects coming along too, who will be pushing for spots ove4 the next few seasons.  We actually look really good.  Thinking we aren’t drafting really well is:

image.gif.c2a2a780e6065283692ba6d86d4f92e2.gif

Dude. Do I really need to spell this out? I was actually thinking about addressing this in my original post, but I think my posts tend to run long enough, imagine if I was going to anticipate every possible ridiculous interpretation. A failed pick is just that. No more, no less. Great scouts, great scouting staffs have them sometimes.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

A lot of prospects don’t develop the way you’d hope they would. But if you get a guy that doesn’t meet or exceed expectations but is a player that contributes that’s not a bust, is it disappointing? Sure but not a bust. If you take a guy like Yakupov that’s out of the league after a few years then it’s a bust. The goal is to find players that play, obviously in the best case scenario these guys reach their potential but that doesn’t happen all that often. When you see the comparables these players get on draft day it’s ridiculous and makes it hard for players to reach their lofty expectations. I absolutely love Kent Johnson and he’s who I want at 9 but Button saying his comparable is Pettersson is crazy, if that was truly his comparable then he’d be going 1. Raffi Torres isn’t who you ideally want at 5 overall, you’d prefer a Jagr but he still played a role so I don’t think that can be considered a bust but a Griffin Reinhart at 4 is certainly a bust

OK, fine, not a "bust". I'm not all that interested in the terminology. But you know it's not just bust or player. If you're a GM, you need to hold your scouts accountable. Picks need to be not just players, but players worthy of (or exceeding) their draft position. GMs and scouting directors are keeping close track of which scouts say what, and if they just get an NHL depth player with a top five pick, someone needs to be held accountable. Likewise if an area scout pushes for a player in later rounds who ends up being a steal, it gets noticed. A good example of how scouts' prestige works is the concept of "crossover scouts". It isn't just scouting directors at the top and then the rest. Lower level scouts are assigned to specific regions, and then the most trusted scouts also get assigned to do crossover between regions. This way, at the scouting meetings, the area scouts will give their breakdowns of players in their regions and then the higher ranking crossover scouts are more responsible for actually comparing prospects across regions to arrange the order, and then the area scouts can push for certain players to move up or down.

I get the point you're making, and I'm sure it is important for some people to hear, but my point is that there absolutely are better and worse picks, and it is important for teams to assess the quality of their scouts' picks and each scout is always moving up or down the ladder based on the relative success or failure of their evaluations.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Dude. Do I really need to spell this out? I was actually thinking about addressing this in my original post, but I think my posts tend to run long enough, imagine if I was going to anticipate every possible ridiculous interpretation. A failed pick is just that. No more, no less. Great scouts, great scouting staffs have them sometimes.

Missed top ten picks happen not just sometimes, but during every team’s rebuilding years.  Benning covered for his two misses, as I already pointed out, with Hogs and Bone.  Plus, Benning has our goalie, number one D man, and super centre.  Oh, and scoring winger.  Plus, he’s drafted a group of young supporting players who are coming along now too.  Like I said, we are looking great!  

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

OK, fine, not a "bust". I'm not all that interested in the terminology. But you know it's not just bust or player. If you're a GM, you need to hold your scouts accountable. Picks need to be not just players, but players worthy of (or exceeding) their draft position. GMs and scouting directors are keeping close track of which scouts say what, and if they just get an NHL depth player with a top five pick, someone needs to be held accountable. Likewise if an area scout pushes for a player in later rounds who ends up being a steal, it gets noticed. A good example of how scouts' prestige works is the concept of "crossover scouts". It isn't just scouting directors at the top and then the rest. Lower level scouts are assigned to specific regions, and then the most trusted scouts also get assigned to do crossover between regions. This way, at the scouting meetings, the area scouts will give their breakdowns of players in their regions and then the higher ranking crossover scouts are more responsible for actually comparing prospects across regions to arrange the order, and then the area scouts can push for certain players to move up or down.

I get the point you're making, and I'm sure it is important for some people to hear, but my point is that there absolutely are better and worse picks, and it is important for teams to assess the quality of their scouts' picks and each scout is always moving up or down the ladder based on the relative success or failure of their evaluations.

Of course some picks are worse then others and I totally agree that scouting departments need to be held accountable. What I’m saying is that as long as you’re drafting guys that contribute and not drafting busts then you’re at least on the right track with your first rounders. You can’t just get away with landing guys that are bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair Dmen if you want to get anywhere, you’ll absolutely need to really hit on some of those picks and land higher profile players. I just think you need to avoid busts and make your picks count as guys you can reliably put in a lineup whether that’s top 6 or bottom 6, top 4 or bottom 4. Overall I don’t think we’re on different pages here and are probably just debating over semantics on this one. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

reading all the comments about draft picks Busting . Hockey is based way more on projecting what a teenager will become as an adult as compared to the NBA and NFL who draft the majority of there players after collage/university .  So much goes into drafting these days as compared to in the 70's . when the europeans first started to get drafted I read one time that many of them had never been seen by the teams only . Scouting was done by statistics . I think DET drafted a prospect who had passed away before the draft .   Now you always hear about a players Floor vs his ceiling . Is he a good teammate , so much about how well he skates and thinks the game . I am sure some of the prospects that we think will go top ten could drop 4 or 6 spots .Seems to happen every year . remember Vilardi was rated 3td and the kings took him in the teens . we got Hughes and Podkolzin that way 

I hated when JB traded the pick for Miller Not because I didn't want Miller just because it took the interest of that draft away for me .

Kent Johnson:  I grew up in East Van, it would be a dream come true if I was drafted by my hometown team.
Pick him GMGB

Player Facts
Date of Birth
Position
C
Height
6'1" / 185 cm
Place of Birth
Weight
165 lbs / 75 kg
Nation
Shoots
L
Contract
-
Agency
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol this has been posted many times with similar comments. I still haven't watched it, but do they give any explanation as to why the team doesn't play him?

He mentioned something about some teams might not like him cuz he asked for a change in teams or something. Something along the lines of wanting to play more for his own development. 

13 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Why cant we pay them all tho? We just adding maybe 1-1.5 mill to each at what they make atm. Be less than 5 mill all together 

Hopefully, but after QH and Peteys payrises, as well as maybe acquiring serious upgrades on D, there may be an issue of cap space… hopefully not, but must admit I’ve had same concerns….