Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

He has 3 points cuz the team doesnt play the guy :(

I would love Lysell if we were picking 13-15. At that pick it’d be good value. But at 9 it seems a little early for a small winger with what else should be available.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

He has 3 points cuz the team doesnt play the guy :(

Lol this has been posted many times with similar comments. I still haven't watched it, but do they give any explanation as to why the team doesn't play him?

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

reading all the comments about draft picks Busting . Hockey is based way more on projecting what a teenager will become as an adult as compared to the NBA and NFL who draft the majority of there players after collage/university .  So much goes into drafting these days as compared to in the 70's . when the europeans first started to get drafted I read one time that many of them had never been seen by the teams only . Scouting was done by statistics . I think DET drafted a prospect who had passed away before the draft .   Now you always hear about a players Floor vs his ceiling . Is he a good teammate , so much about how well he skates and thinks the game . I am sure some of the prospects that we think will go top ten could drop 4 or 6 spots .Seems to happen every year . remember Vilardi was rated 3td and the kings took him in the teens . we got Hughes and Podkolzin that way 

 I hated when JB traded the pick for Miller Not because I didn't want Miller just because it took the interest of that draft away for me .

Link to post
Share on other sites
Kent Johnson:  I grew up in East Van, it would be a dream come true if I was drafted by my hometown team.
Pick him GMGB
 
Player Facts
Date of Birth
Position
C
Age
18
Height
6'1" / 185 cm
Place of Birth
Weight
165 lbs / 75 kg
Nation
Shoots
L
Contract
-
Agency
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 70seven said:

I think whomever wants the goalie will trade up to nab him

 

my eyes on Edmonton 

Do the leafs have the parts and trading partners to grab a top pick and grab him? They really could use him 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol this has been posted many times with similar comments. I still haven't watched it, but do they give any explanation as to why the team doesn't play him?

He mentioned something about some teams might not like him cuz he asked for a change in teams or something. Something along the lines of wanting to play more for his own development. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Why cant we pay them all tho? We just adding maybe 1-1.5 mill to each at what they make atm. Be less than 5 mill all together 

Hopefully, but after QH and Peteys payrises, as well as maybe acquiring serious upgrades on D, there may be an issue of cap space… hopefully not, but must admit I’ve had same concerns….

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

He mentioned something about some teams might not like him cuz he asked for a change in teams or something. Something along the lines of wanting to play more for his own development. 

Management wants him to play for the U-20 team but Lysell didn't want to play for the U-20 team. He considers himself to be too good for playing in the juniors team. Sounds to me  like Tryamkin who thought he owns a right for a spot on the Canucks team even being not in shape at all.

no, thanks. Way better players available at 9, if Canucks keep the pick.

  • Like 2
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alflives said:

So the Hawks, when in their rebuild, picking Skillie at 8 and Barker at three had bad scouts?  Those same scouts drafted their three Cup winning key players during that same time.  All teams have misses during their rebuilding drafts.  It’s wether the scouts can find players with later picks to cover for those misses that’s key.  Benning, and his staff, have covered Jake and OJ with Hoglander and Bone.  Plus we got Demko in round two.  We have several good young prospects coming along too, who will be pushing for spots ove4 the next few seasons.  We actually look really good.  Thinking we aren’t drafting really well is:

image.gif.c2a2a780e6065283692ba6d86d4f92e2.gif

Highonhockey does have a point though… its supposed to be an advantage to pick at the top of the draft, so the better job your scouts do, the better the prospect should be…..in theory. Otherwise whats the point of the draft order and money spent on scouts…
Fortunately the aspect of the future development is an uncertain, which has given us EP, Brock and Hogs… and less fortunately Jake…

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Highonhockey does have a point though… its supposed to be an advantage to pick at the top of the draft, so the better job your scouts do, the better the prospect should be…..in theory. Otherwise whats the point of the draft order and money spent on scouts…
Fortunately the aspect of the future development is an uncertain, which has given us EP, Brock and Hogs… and less fortunately Jake…

 

Except scouting and drafting isn’t a science.  These are 18 year old boys who are being drafted, who have a lot of developing to do.  So all teams have misses in their top picks during their rebuilding years.  I pointed out the Hawks had two huge misses in Skille (8OA) and Barker (3OA).  The quality of the team’s overall drafting during the rebuild is what’s important.  And during the Benning era ours has been very good.  We have an elite young core, and more youth coming.  

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alflives said:

Except scouting and drafting isn’t a science.  These are 18 year old boys who are being drafted, who have a lot of developing to do.  So all teams have misses in their top picks during their rebuilding years.  I pointed out the Hawks had two huge misses in Skille (8OA) and Barker (3OA).  The quality of the team’s overall drafting during the rebuild is what’s important.  And during the Benning era ours has been very good.  We have an elite young core, and more youth coming.  

Absolutely and don’t disagree, but drafting is a science… Don’t see the point in wasting money on scouts if all you do is looking at MacKenzies or Robinsons list and take it from there. I agree, there are huge drop and fails Guddy as well as the 2 you mentioned Poliot as well, but you hope to or at least try to minimize the chances of picking a bust by going into all the details… but yes $&!# happens, and a lot of folks don’t seem to get that, when slagging off JB for drafting Jake or OJ. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

image.gif.f8f4c2fcc65cfa95325f415c898db144.gif

I hope you're right, just think GMJB is gonna go on a spending spree in the 2022 offseason after the albatross contracts and cap recapture penalty expire after this upcoming season. Still need to resign BB too.

 

Gotta repeat the cycle. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Johnson, Turris, Newhook and Jost all have very similar numbers in their breakout BCHL year, the only difference is Johnson was a year younger when he did it. Turris, Jost and Newhook played their draft eligible year in the BCHL and tore it up whereas Johnson had his monster season a year younger then those players and played his draft eligible year in the NCAA and scored over a PPG as a true freshman. 

Sure you could say he's a year younger. I say he's closer to a year older. Fact remains that those born in September - January of their draft year tend to have a lower upside potential compared to their draft eligible peers drafted April - August. This is particularly pronounced with top pairing defensemen in the NHL for whatever reason. If you don't believe me pull a random assortment of the best defensemen in the league and I guarantee you a high probability will be from those birth month I highlighted. I find this indicator less reliable for forwards but still applies. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Sure you could say he's a year younger. I say he's closer to a year older. Fact remains that those born in September - January of their draft year tend to have a lower upside potential compared to their draft eligible peers drafted April - August. This is particularly pronounced with top pairing defensemen in the NHL for whatever reason. If you don't believe me pull a random assortment of the best defensemen in the league and I guarantee you a high probability will be from those birth month I highlighted. I find this indicator less reliable for forwards but still applies. 

Agreed.  Some guys are almost a full year more physically developed than others in their draft.  With D, who tend to be taller than the forwards, these younger guys are often still quite thin.  So they have a lot of filling out to do.  

I really hope Luke Hughes falls to us, or we trade up to get him.  He is one of those with the late birthday (September 9, 03)

And he clearly at 6’2 and 175 has a lot of filling out left.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Suzuki must have the genetics for it, you can't put on that much muscle that fast without that or... "help". 

Brandt Clarke put 10lbs on this past year and was hoping to go from 190 to 200 before NHL training camp this coming season. It is possible, some people will have a harder time but there are lots of nutritionists etc that have a boat load of information in this area to help people reach their goals. I highly doubt Suzuki is taking steroids...rarely ever hear of an NHL player test positive for that, minus our own Nate Schmidt who was suspended for some abnormality or something back when he was with Vegas I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Brandt Clarke put 10lbs on this past year and was hoping to go from 190 to 200 before NHL training camp this coming season. It is possible, some people will have a harder time but there are lots of nutritionists etc that have a boat load of information in this area to help people reach their goals. I highly doubt Suzuki is taking steroids...rarely ever hear of an NHL player test positive for that, minus our own Nate Schmidt who was suspended for some abnormality or something back when he was with Vegas I believe.

I would be surprised if that was the case too, I think younger players are way too smart to juice up. Its just a heck of a lot of muscle to put on a smaller frame. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...