The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

I'm looking forward to the 2021 Draft, wasn't into it this year as Benning traded the 1st and 2nd. But next year they should be in the thick of things Draft-wise, probably Top 10 pick. After losing their MVP goalie, and character players in Tanev and Stecher, and also losing players to free agency, the Canucks might not be great next season. Other teams in the new Canadian division (if that becomes a thing) have improved. I'll be paying more attention to the undrafted prospects this year.

• Cheers 1

On 10/28/2020 at 2:53 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I'm looking forward to the 2021 Draft, wasn't into it this year as Benning traded the 1st and 2nd. But next year they should be in the thick of things Draft-wise, probably Top 10 pick. After losing their MVP goalie, and character players in Tanev and Stecher, and also losing players to free agency, the Canucks might not be great next season. Other teams in the new Canadian division (if that becomes a thing) have improved. I'll be paying more attention to the undrafted prospects this year.

Schmidt is better than Tanev on O. and doesn't get hurt as much....Rafferty and Juolevi could well do better than Stecher and Fantenburg....

Big Mac is really an add too the top 9 and we didn't really have Toffoli in our playoff run anyway...

EP and QH will be better ...and that alone adds up to more than anything we lost for forwards....

In goal we have a young stud and a great vet.    .....that could well do better than Marky and his backup...

We make the playoffs next year as welll....!

Just watch.....!

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

On October 28, 2020 at 2:53 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Are you kidding? Stetcher is a good player #5 D man that demanded 2 million and signed for 1.7 ---Will be replaced with Rathbone or Juolevi..Good hockey decision... Tanev 4yrs X 4 million never sign the so glad Benning never signed him and he will be hurt..

Markstrom - Turning 31 yrs old in January- Only be a top 10 goalie for 2 yrs -- Hurt 2 times last season? Goalie coachClark should be getting some money for he was the guy that turned Markstroms game around????Remember 18 months ago the first goal??

Markstrom - Glad we never signed 6 yrs X 6 Million - no trade deal-- He will be hurt and in season 3 he will not be a top 20 goalie....

Schmidt will be the solid #2 D man play PK- PP and regular shift plays against other teams #1 line----- Big upgrade on Tanev

Holby #1 - CLARK WILL GET HOLBY BACK TO TOP 15 GOALIE--- Great UFA signing ---

Juolevi or Rathbone or Rafferty will fill Stetchers spot and add more offence....

If Ferland Doesn't play Benning will have 3.5 million? Hamonic 6'2 gritty real #3 D man ..

Sorry this Canucks team will be just as good as last year maybe better....The D is better now with Schmidt-- Great addition

Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty will fill #5 spot....Rathbone will be solid D man before game 45, he is that good....

The young players under 25 will all get better, Hughes, Petey, Boser, Horvat, Virtanen, Demko, Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty, Motte, Gaudette, (Podkolzin- March

Very very excited we will not be drafting in top 10 sorry.... This is a top 15 NHL team and will be Top 10 soon.....

Lots of grit, never stop and we can score.... GO Canucks Go !

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 3
  • RoughGame 1

On 10/12/2020 at 1:21 PM, EddieVedder said:

Its almost as stacked as this years draft was. 

Praying Benning does not trade away our 1st. 

I know that scouting is a crap-shoot but this doesn't look like a very deep draft and no player has separated himself for #1. Drafts that feature D at the top scare me a bit since they are so hard predict. 

I think the Nucks barring massive injury are entering a stretch of non-lottery picks. If there was one season where I wouldn't cry over a lost season would be the 2023 draft. Bedard the local kid, or perhaps the best Russian prospect ever along with several other kids that look really promising. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bob McKenzie's list is out: https://www.tsn.ca/blueliner-owen-power-tops-mckenzie-s-first-2021-draft-ranking-1.1561354 

1) Owen Power

2) Simon Edvinsson

3) Dylan Guenther

4) Matthew Beniers

5) Brandt Clarke

6) William Eklund

7) Kent Johnson

8) Aatu Raty

9) Mason MacTavish

10) Luke Hughes

This draft is more wild than normal. The unusual circumstance of some players getting more games in that other is definitely playing a part I would imagine. Raty was a potential 1st overall pick in this draft not too long ago but was cut from Finland's WJC team. 

31 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Bob McKenzie's list is out: https://www.tsn.ca/blueliner-owen-power-tops-mckenzie-s-first-2021-draft-ranking-1.1561354 

1) Owen Power

2) Simon Edvinsson

3) Dylan Guenther

4) Matthew Beniers

5) Brandt Clarke

6) William Eklund

7) Kent Johnson

8) Aatu Raty

9) Mason MacTavish

10) Luke Hughes

This draft is more wild than normal. The unusual circumstance of some players getting more games in that other is definitely playing a part I would imagine. Raty was a potential 1st overall pick in this draft not too long ago but was cut from Finland's WJC team. 

Now I can start researching lol.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

Hopefully not another case of the Jared Staal.

Less likely. Luke Hughes is already broke Quinn's scoring record at the same age. He is also an excellent skater and will have a bigger body frame than both of his brothers. I think he will atleast be a top 4.

If you look at Jared Staal's junior stats, they were good, but they weren't exceptional. He has never been a plus player in his entire career as a Junior. I know +/- is a team stat, but when a to rated prospect have never ended a season with a positive +/- in 4 years, that is alarming. Jared Staal is overrated because his Eric and Jordan Staal won 2 of the more recent Stanley Cups during his draft. I will say during the late 2000s, I would say all the Staal brothers were overrated due to the fact that Eric and Jordan won those cups. Eric Staal won the cup which led to Jordan Staal getting drafted ahead of Toews and Backstrom. Jordan Staal is a good player, but we can all agree the better centers that draft is Toews and Backstrom. 

The league is looking into the option of pushing back the draft to December per Garrioch.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/garrioch-the-possibility-of-pushing-back-the-2021-nhl-draft-to-december-is-an-option

Now, let’s make this perfectly clear, nothing is written in stone, all options are on the table, and this is just an idea that’s out there at the moment as the spread of the novel coronavirus continues to rage around the world with several hockey leagues either shut down or unable to even begin play yet.

A possibility that’s been thrown around by league executives is moving the draft tentatively scheduled to be held this summer in Montreal to early December.

At this point, everything’s on the table and all options have to be considered.

Why would anybody even consider this move?

“You can’t draft what you can’t see,” one league insider told Postmedia.

Again, this is concept and not a fact, but if you think about it a bit, the possibility makes a lot of sense.

[....]

You have to wonder if the junior leagues will start at all and scouts can’t even attend the world junior championships that get under way next week in Edmonton and Red Deer.

If you factor all of this in, it’s going to make scouting very difficult and that’s why a December draft may make sense.

Essentially, it’s going to buy NHL teams more time to evaluate players because many are doing work by video because their scouts can’t go on the road or there’s no hockey taking place at all.

“If those junior leagues do play in the early 2021 and then a December draft would also give NHL teams the first half of next season to evaluate players,” said the insider. “It would give them a better handle on what they’re looking at because the draft could be pretty tough based on what we’ve seen so far this season.”

Samuel Helenius is on my radar. Colossal centre from Finland who plays on the same Liiga team as Jurmo. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/554237/samuel-helenius

Edit: Brad Lambert also plays on the same team. They're low in the standings but they definitely have some interesting guys to follow!

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/22/2020 at 7:23 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Samuel Helenius is on my radar. Colossal centre from Finland who plays on the same Liiga team as Jurmo. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/554237/samuel-helenius

Edit: Brad Lambert also plays on the same team. They're low in the standings but they definitely have some interesting guys to follow!

That Helenius is a big kid! He’s 6’6’’ 200 pounds at 18 years old!

• 3 weeks later...