The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Here is where I am on this years draft.............

My take on where the top 6 align, is that there is no consensus, there does seem to be some more consistent names at top 6

I how ever think of all years, this seems to be a good not great player coming out of the top 12

To me, your amateur scouting needs to be working on over time, but I would also be using outside scouting agencies to have input

and to develop a consensus.

In saying all that, If I am king, with all the LD in the top 10, I am looking at either Brandt Clarke, or one of the centers............

I don't think Clarke is there when the Canucks pick, unless we somehow get into the top 5, and then I pick regardless. He is and has been a consensus top 6 all season, having placed as high as #1 on some lists, and with evaluations being all over the place and the top 12 being so close in skill level, this would be the year to pick for positional need, if

the player is close to your pick.

Honestly, I am staying away from LD picks, we have those in spades.

I am looking at the following players as my go to's

Brandt Clarke   RHD               These guys are commonly 1-6 in rankings, mostly 2-5

Matt Beniers     C

======================

Kent Johnson   C/LW               These guys are more in the 5 - 7 rankings

Chaz Lucius     C/LW/RW

======================

Kole Sillinger    C/LW                He is mostly ranked in the 9-10 rankings

======================

Wiiliam Eklund  LW                   This guy is all over the place 2 to 12 rankings

======================

Aatu Raty          C                      Was high, but is getting pushed back 9 -14 rankings

Now every list is subjective, but I see these as targets in the first round for the Canucks. I see us picking in the 7 to 11 territory.

I would love to acquire another 1st, and wonder how the rest of the league sees us, in our efforts to move into the playoffs? Should we go after another 1st this year?

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, drummerboy said:

The Canucks are dropping fast with not playing games.   
When they come back, the majority of the team will still be recovering from covid.   
Chances are we are going to lose more than 10 of those last 19 games.   Probably closer to 12-14 IMO.  

That leaves us in a great spot.  
Top 7?

My vote goes for Brandt Clarke.  
Right side dman who can play both sides and push the play.  
Great future partner for Hughes?   

canucks are tied at 27th and 28th overall i dont  think we are gonna draft above5tg spot we might even win lotto 

On 3/13/2021 at 3:48 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Canucks tend to do better with Swedish players and american college kids in Bennings tenure.

Every other nationality drafted by Benning has failed to make a big impact thus far.

With Podkolzin on the way he might be a lone bright spot Russian after the Canhcks struck out so many times in the past with other young Russians.

Ideally the Canucks would draft high enough to land Matty Berniers to come in day 1 and be their 3 C.

Berniers. Eklund. Wallstedt. Hughes. All would be great picks based on recent draft history.

I'd add Edvinsson to your list.  I think he, or Clarke are the best D in this draft.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

We have a lot more games than the others.  We will rise a bit.   

doubtful wearent icing a full team gaudette and benn are also gone meaning 2 younger players taking thoughs spots plus if any players have covid post symptoms they may be sat out and no practise or games in 3 weeks means they arent in playing shape i m thinking we might go 4-15  if we lucky 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, canuktravella said:

canucks are tied at 27th and 28th overall i dont  think we are gonna draft above5tg spot we might even win lotto 

Not sure how this is all going to work with the new, super compressed schedule. I could easily see us struggle and fall in the rankings but for now I'm going to go off points percentage which has us picking 8th.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Not sure how this is all going to work with the new, super compressed schedule. I could easily see us struggle and fall in the rankings but for now I'm going to go off points percentage which has us picking 8th.

9th with Seattle in the mix

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Postponed game tonight and I’m not sure if or when we do get back to it but we’re to have 7 back to back games in our schedule to finish the year. It’s gonna be a rough schedule when they get back to it. Also the majority of our guys being sick might be a little slow getting their legs going again. I can see us dropping a little bit further than 8th.

It’s unfortunate after trade deadline we weren’t able to get some extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds there’s a lot of interesting names in that late 1rst to 2nd round that could be home runs due to lack of scouting exposure. I want that Morrow kid in the 2nd round if he makes it!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Postponed game tonight and I’m not sure if or when we do get back to it but we’re to have 7 back to back games in our schedule to finish the year. It’s gonna be a rough schedule when they get back to it. Also the majority of our guys being sick might be a little slow getting their legs going again. I can see us dropping a little bit further than 8th.

Exactly. We got roughed up pretty bad with how front loaded the start of our schedule was. Not expecting much different of a result for the remaining games. 

This COVID put the team and players in a terrible situation, it is what it is, but maybe it works out by giving us a high pick in the draft and we end up snagging a couple more crucial pieces in the 1st and 2nd, and who knows how the late picks end up this year.

51 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi Peoples

Here is a new hockey ranking for April 15.......just for your entertainment

HockeyProspect.com 2021 NHL Draft Top 32 Ranking, April - HockeyProspect.com

You may not agree, but it is a good read

Thanks 

a bit out there compared to other lists

most don’t have Edvinsson so high and Clarke so low

i hope we take a center 

I don’t know if Eklund is projected as an NHL Center but I could see him falling a bit with all these Michigan players going early 

Yzerman likes his Swedes as well though 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

we are playing sunday versus leafs with gaudette and benn traded  and  a few if regular players possibly done for yr  hughes being one of them and petey injured        rafferty juolevi  rathbone and mceneny  and dipietro  all playing  we badically will be without our best players  the tank is on

Edited by canuktravella

Just now, canuktravella said:

we are playing sunday versus leafs with gaudette and benn traded  and  a few if regular players possibly done for yr  hughes being one of them and petey injured        rafferty juolevi  rathbone and mceneny  and dipietro  all playing  we badically will be without our best players  the tank is on

one of demko or holtby not playing and virtanen hoglander schmidt still not cleared of covid 

so basically 

hoglander 

pettersson

hughes

virtanen 

motte

beagle 

benn

gaudette 

one of holtby or demko 

are out of next few games snd some done for yr 

vesey   miller boeser 

pearson  horvat  eriksson 

roussel sutter  macewen 

highmore   boyd hawryluk 

edler  hamonic 

juolevi rafferty

mceney   myers 

one oc holtby demko

dipietro 

thats close to roster  against leafs cant see us getting any wins the next week or 2 soo canucks will stay or fall to 28th - 30th   even with seattle we drafting in top 5 if not top 3   if we win lotto we get 1st overall  

35 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

"mceneny"...LOL.  Canucks should bring back Kenins and Fox to fill out the line up.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

On 4/15/2021 at 12:46 PM, BCNate said:

I'd add Edvinsson to your list.  I think he, or Clarke are the best D in this draft.

Clarke is solid see him gone before the Canucks get a shot though.

His right hand shot only increases his appeal.

Could see Edvinsson as the pick but he is so raw and still has a lot of weight he needs to pack on his lanky frame unlike Power and even Hughes.

Would be a high risk imo than some of the other safer and more immediate impact options to add to the top 9 at forward in 2 years.

Edited by Chip Kelly

On 4/16/2021 at 9:35 AM, flickyoursedin said:

It’s unfortunate after trade deadline we weren’t able to get some extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds there’s a lot of interesting names in that late 1rst to 2nd round that could be home runs due to lack of scouting exposure. I want that Morrow kid in the 2nd round if he makes it!

The big right hand dman on the London Knights intriguing in a Jett Woo Luke Schenn hard rock stay at home d type mould. Think his name was Logan Mailloux or something.

He has the NHL ready size and has good mobility for his size.

Canucks need more toughness on the backend guys who block shots clear tye crease and lay the body and as a bonus could drop the gloved on occasion if necessary. 

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Feeling good about our odds for the first overall this year, guys! Maybe Covid will do us a solid, even when the league won't.... ;)

Who is your pick if we by some miracle we got the #1 pick. Do you go for one of the two favorites in Powers and Beniers? Maybe one of the Swedes Eklund and Edvinsson? The family connection of Luke Hughes? Or positional need and Cam Robinsons fave in Brandt Clarke? Or even slightly off board with a kid dominating the WHL averaging 2 pts/gm in Dylan Guenther?

So many choices and it's going to be an almost total carp shoot.