The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

9 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

He doesn’t have the weight Nick Suzuki does but plays a similar game defensively with the way he breaks up plays and his active stick. I’m a massive fan of Eklund I just don’t see him being available to us which is really unfortunate. 

We might get lucky and Eklund falls to us.  Imo this is exactly the kind of play driving (and smart without the puck too) winger who would perfectly compliment Bo.  I think he might even play right away.  Lighter guy, but very smart.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We might get lucky and Eklund falls to us.  Imo this is exactly the kind of play driving (and smart without the puck too) winger who would perfectly compliment Bo.  I think he might even play right away.  Lighter guy, but very smart.  

Lol, yeah, you never know, he could fall to nine. There could be some rip in the spacetime continuum that opens a dimensional vortex gateway and... I dunno. Anything is possible, right?

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If he falls to us then it’s an absolute home run pick. Even with our need for a RHD I would take Eklund over Clarke. I don’t see him getting past the Wings, Sharks and Kings to fall to us but if he does I’ll be thanking the hockey gods. I’m really excited to see who we pick this year, so many exciting and intriguing options for us

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol, yeah, you never know, he could fall to nine. There could be some rip in the spacetime continuum that opens a dimensional vortex gateway and... I dunno. Anything is possible, right?

Quinn, the record holder for playoff points by a rookie, fell to us at 7.  The Hockey Gods might favour us again. :frantic:

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

36 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

More possible then you think if Edvinsson Walstedt Johnson go before which isn’t ridiculous 

powers

beniers

guenther

hughes

edvinsson 

walstedt

Johnson 

Clarke 

Eklund to Canucks 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

More possible then you think if Edvinsson Walstedt Johnson go before which isn’t ridiculous 

powers

beniers

guenther

hughes

edvinsson 

walstedt

Johnson 

Clarke 

Eklund to Canucks 

And your list doesn’t include McTavish, who has climbed the board.  

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I've been complaining about not enough available footage on Eklund for someone who is/ought to be in serious contention for first overall. Managed to find two Sweden games from the 2019 fall 5 nations U18s. As one of the youngest and smallest players on the team, he was playing on the third line. One of the things you just love to see from a player is that you always recognize them on the ice. You don't need to be watching for him, as soon as he gets the puck on his stick and starts moving around you're like "oh, there's Eklund." I mentioned recently he needs to add more power to his skating, but not by all that much. Give him three strides and he's going, it's just that first step or two could use more oomph. And reminiscent of a Stranges, Drysdale or Amirov from last year's draft, he accelerates beautifully in any direction. I mean, of course nobody will ever be Antonio Stranges, but man Eklund is a treat to watch move around the ice in his own right.

His hockey IQ is off the charts, but it's not just how well he thinks the game, but how quickly he thinks the game - most prospects have major issues making the jump from junior to pro mostly because of the increase in pace, but you can see why Eklund made such a seamless transition. It's like the game slows down for him when he has the puck on his stick, and he can do multiple things in a single instant - reading the play and reacting with both his hands and feet simultaneously before most players would know what is happening.

He's also very intelligent, committed and responsible in his own zone. Sure the size will be a bit of a problem in the NHL but the number of times he's lifted sticks to prevent scoring chances around his own net in this one game I watched so far today, lets just say it's abnormal.

I said it a number of pages back now, but he has been my #1 for a while for these exact reasons. He looks like a game breaker to me. I love his hockey sense, and his speed through the neutral zone is really good. I don't think his size will reduce his effectiveness much. We can dream!

22 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

powers

beniers

guenther

hughes

edvinsson 

walstedt

Johnson 

Clarke 

Eklund to Canucks 

that would be amazing.......almost completely unlikely however

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If we are talking about limitations, then I would say that Jake’s drive to improve is on the low side as well.  

However Jake has scored 20 goals in this league and I think can hit 30 if he gets traded to the right team... everyone is talking

about him as if he never made it to the NHL. 

Jake will likely do better anywhere compared to here IF he is cleared of his supposed charge that hasn't actually been done and gets dealt. The coach ruined him here and he just didnt quite have the full tool box to put it all together like we dreamed of Cam Neely 2.0. Sadly it was 1 of 2 poor draft choices in the top ten by the current GM

Looking at the draft strictly from a I want this guy..........here is my list in order of who I want............understanding, I could be totally, fully wrong in terms of talent..........

I simply want these guys in this order...............

#1. Clarke...............This may be the last opportunity to get a #1 RHD.........size, skating, shot, IQ.......even if not a #1, certainly a good chance of being a #2 or 3

#2. McTavish...........An aggressive power forward, who has hands, a shot, and IQ.......what's not to love.......at worst he is our #3 Center for the next 15 years

#3. Beniers..............A far more rounded game than McTavish, and could be a 2nd line center at his peak......again a 3rd line center at worst.....a very good one!

#4. Eklund...............Hard not to love talent, I see him as less of a need, but you can't pass him up

#5. Hughes..............This guys could push Quinn Hughes  over to the RHD side, his injury dropped his ranking IMO

#6. Power.................A bigger stronger Edler..........Hmmmm, let me think about that! You take his in a second, if the others are gone.

#7. Guenther............As people have been saying a great complimentary player, who scored at 2 PPG last year........high IQ

#8. Svechkov............The best Russian on the block IMO.....did you ever wonder how so many players get picked over Russians? Just a friggin smart player

#9. Johnson.............Skill and lack of size......damn! Sure we take him if all others above him are gone. But don't you wish he was bigger!

#10. Sillinger............Not a great Skater, compared to who? My bet is he still develops nicely, and who ever gets him will be happy!

#11. Ceulemans.......Size, and Offensive skill,........showed well at the U18's.....Points and +- were just about the same as Clarkes.........2nd best RHD

#12. Edvinsson........He has talent, and size and he scares me.......He also reminds me of Edler

#13. Raty.................Do you remember Chychrun falling a couple of years ago, and now is in the running for the Norris..I think Raty may be the forward equivelent

#14. Lucius..............Just a slice down the pecking order, but people sure seem to like him

#15. Lysell................All the talent in the world, and I don't trust him......I guess we will see.......could be picked much earlier.......But?

Again, this is not a Ranking of players, but who I want, in what order

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Looking at the draft strictly from a I want this guy..........here is my list in order of who I want............understanding, I could be totally, fully wrong in terms of talent..........

#1. Clarke...............This may be the last opportunity to get a #1 RHD.........size, skating, shot, IQ.......even if not a #1, certainly a good chance of being a #2 or 3

#2. McTavish...........An aggressive power forward, who has hands, a shot, and IQ.......what's not to love.......at worst he is our #3 Center for the next 15 years

#3. Beniers..............A far more rounded game than McTavish, and could be a 2nd line center at his peak......again a 3rd line center at worst.....a very good one!

#4. Eklund...............Hard not to love talent, I see him as less of a need, but you can't pass him up

#5. Hughes..............This guys could push Quinn Hughes  over to the RHD side, his injury dropped his ranking IMO

#6. Power.................A bigger stronger Edler..........Hmmmm, let me think about that! You take his in a second, if the others are gone.

#7. Guenther............As people have been saying a great complimentary player, who scored at 2 PPG last year........high IQ

#8. Svechkov............The best Russian on the block IMO.....did you ever wonder how so many players get picked over Russians? Just a friggin smart player

#9. Johnson.............Skill and lack of size......damn! Sure we take him if all others above him are gone. But don't you wish he was bigger!

#10. Sillinger............Not a great Skater, compared to who? My bet is he still develops nicely, and who ever gets him will be happy!

#11. Ceulemans.......Size, and Offensive skill,........showed well at the U18's.....Points and +- were just about the same as Clarkes.........2nd best RHD

#12. Edvinsson........He has talent, and size and he scares me.......He also reminds me of Edler

#13. Raty.................Do you remember Chychrun falling a couple of years ago, and now is in the running for the Norris..I think Raty may be the forward equivelent

#14. Lucius..............Just a slice down the pecking order, but people sure seem to like him

#15. Lysell................All the talent in the world, and I don't trust him......I guess we will see.......could be picked much earlier.......But?

I like it but was wondering who u like for our 2nd pick

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

that would be amazing.......almost completely unlikely however

Notice McTavish isn’t on that list, and he’s another guy likely to go before we pick.  Eklund could be a guy who falls.  He’s very small, and NHL GMs might go for bigger players, even though that bigger guy doesn’t have Eklund’s skill.  I could see McTavish, Geunther, and Johnson all selected before Eklund just because they are a lot taller and likely to be a lot heavier when they play in the league.  

We could get really lucky.  Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed.  

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Good list Jan.  Of these guys, which are the top three you think will actually be left for us to choose from? 

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I like it but was wondering who u like for our 2nd pick

I have working on that........

I am so RHD crazy this year, I have to watch my self a little.....

#1. Morrow

#2. Mailloux

#3. Schmidt

#4. Heimosalmi

#5. Bar

Or Forwards

#1. Rosen

#2. Boucher

#3. Helenius

#4. Samoskevich

For me, if we get Clarke, then we take a forward......BPA or course

If we take a Forward, then we take a couple of RHD in the 2nd and 3rd...Morrow is probably gone in the 1st, but we would surely get one of the other 4

I am getting excited for the draft

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

The Hockey Guy had a pretty unflattering take on Lysell, so good to see him down your list. Apparently there are concerns with a big attitude. 

I'm curious about your ranking of Johnson and Ceulemans so close at 9 and 11. If they are that close, shouldn't we take the RHD?

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good list Jan.  Of these guys, which are the top three you think will actually be left for us to choose from? 

Man, that is the sixty Million dollar question Alf

My guess is we will be looking at picking a forward

Guenther, Johnson or McTavish

But there are so many rankings, and every body is all over the place......

Power, Benier, Hughes and probably Edvinsson will be gone

Really interested to see if Detroit or Columbus take a goalie.........it will really shake up the end of the bottom 10 to 12

Lot ofteams want a goalie, and some have multiple picks.....it will be interesting

Does Detroit wait, thinking they can pick up Cossa later? Does Edmonton trade up to get Wallstedt? Does Chicago take a goalie? LOL

This is one of my favorite years...all over the place!

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Notice McTavish isn’t on that list, and he’s another guy likely to go before we pick.  Eklund could be a guy who falls.  He’s very small, and NHL GMs might go for bigger players, even though that bigger guy doesn’t have Eklund’s skill.  I could see McTavish, Geunther, and Johnson all selected before Eklund just because they are a lot taller and likely to be a lot heavier when they play in the league.  

We could get really lucky.  Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed.  

you could be right. From everything I've read on here, you tube reviews, etc. my first choice would be McTavish, then Eklund, then Wallsted from what I've seen so far. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The Hockey Guy had a pretty unflattering take on Lysell, so good to see him down your list. Apparently there are concerns with a big attitude. 

I'm curious about your ranking of Johnson and Ceulemans so close at 9 and 11. If they are that close, shouldn't we take the RHD?

Well, remember that who I want in the pick we have, but Ceulemans seems like a reach and I don't think we have to go that low....

It should be interesting.........

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

I said it a number of pages back now, but he has been my #1 for a while for these exact reasons. He looks like a game breaker to me. I love his hockey sense, and his speed through the neutral zone is really good. I don't think his size will reduce his effectiveness much. We can dream!

Yeah, interestingly, my most trusted prospect source over on HF had Eklund first overall since pretty early in the season. I had him third on my last list but only about four viewings, so when you said you have him first too I knew I needed to see more. Found these 5NU18 games and I think I'm convinced. I'm seriously considering him for first overall.