The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Powers , Beniers and Johnson having the three all play at U of Michigan will that skew how teams might look at each of these players one way or another . Keep recalling how OJ was talked about by many his draft year being on the powerhouse junior team and should have been a lower pick . I am an OJ fan and I am still hoping he gets a full summer in gets to where his talent level could be .

I expect anybody listed on most ranking Could go 3-9 in any order but 1&2 look like that would stay top 2 . Long winded is there any chance either Powers or Beniers start dropping and how far .  Still remember them showing Vilardi after every pick as he just kept dropping 

16 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

Powers , Beniers and Johnson having the three all play at U of Michigan will that skew how teams might look at each of these players one way or another . Keep recalling how OJ was talked about by many his draft year being on the powerhouse junior team and should have been a lower pick . I am an OJ fan and I am still hoping he gets a full summer in gets to where his talent level could be .

I expect anybody listed on most ranking Could go 3-9 in any order but 1&2 look like that would stay top 2 . Long winded is there any chance either Powers or Beniers start dropping and how far .  Still remember them showing Vilardi after every pick as he just kept dropping 

Not sure what rankings you're going off of, but the two rankings that best reflect what NHL teams might be thinking are NHL Central Scouting and Bob McKenzie's scout survey. Obviously Bob McKenzie's is by far the best indicator because it is an actual survey of NHL scouts. NHL central scouting's stated intention is to support NHL teams, so they tend to value the things NHL teams value - size, pro-translatability, safe picks. Also, they have actual scouts who formerly worked for NHL teams, vs. the media scouting services and bloggers, which are lower quality scouting amateurs.

We'll see what Bob McKenzie's final rankings say, but his mid-season rankings had Beniers 4th, and Central's final rankings have Beniers 6th in North America, so I'm not sure where this idea comes from that Beniers is consensus number two.

Edited by HighOnHockey

6 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Not sure what rankings you're going off of, but the two rankings that best reflect what NHL teams might be thinking are NHL Central Scouting and Bob McKenzie's scout survey. Obviously Bob McKenzie's is by far the best indicator because it is an actual survey of NHL scouts. NHL central scouting's stated intention is to support NHL teams, so they tend to value the things NHL teams value - size, pro-translatability, safe picks. Also, they have actual scouts who formerly worked for NHL teams, vs. the media scouting services and bloggers, which are lower quality scouting amateurs.

We'll see what Bob McKenzie's final rankings say, but his mid-season rankings had Beniers 4th, and Central's final rankings have Beniers 6th in North America, so I'm not sure where this idea comes from that Beniers is consensus number two.

Sorry some of the ones I was recalling were older some were mock but these I just looked at and they all had them above the others McKeen's final , draft analyst , the hockey writers and sportsnet . when is McKenzie's final coming out I thought he said it would be out early last week 

I would be fine with picking Cleumans at 9 - it's a pretty big reach as he is 2 tiers lower than where we would pick for me. I do think this floor is high enough that means, baring injury, we would be getting a good player in a position of need out it. 

Which is in itself an interesting point of debate.  If we can get a good 3rd line center or a good 2nd pairing RHD outta this draft in the next 2 years - its a win for us. If we end up with a Virtanen / OJ who are still not established players after 4+ years its not so good and we would have been obviously better off trading it for a Reinhart, Cernak, Megna, anyone.

That's the Johnson vs Mctavish debate for me, which  I see a lot of people here having ( Virtanen, Ritchie Vs Nylander / Ehlers flashbacks anyone ?! ). I think  McTavish is a lock for 3rd line center  who could be a real good 2nd line center at his apex in the  NHL  -  Johnson will either be the second coming of Petey or a bust / Bear type player.    What has most value that to us as a club ? 

Probably a moot point as I think there is a very small chance both players are there when we pick - but still - Ceiling Vs Floor is always a interesting debate. 

17 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

Sorry some of the ones I was recalling were older some were mock but these I just looked at and they all had them above the others McKeen's final , draft analyst , the hockey writers and sportsnet . when is McKenzie's final coming out I thought he said it would be out early last week 

I would assume shortly after the Stanley Cup Finals finish. Right now everyone is interested in the Finals, after they're over people are hockey hyped with nothing else to talk about so it's the perfect time. Looking back to 2019 it was June 17, so that sounds about right.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i'ld rather trade our pick for someone coming off their entry level deals like cal foote.

I could be wrong Joe

But I understand that his real name is Slow a Foote

Which is why he is not getting any action in the playoffs

He will be starting his 5th professional season in October

and will be in his D+6 season

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Is there any player y’all want really badly and would trade up for? I’d trade up for Clarke. RHD like him don’t grow on trees. He has top notch potential and I see him being a Klingberg type of player, maybe even OEL. He’s tall and can be a efficient player you can put on your PP and PK. I’d trade to 5 or 6 if he’s still available

I would only trade up a few spots for Clarke this draft. In every other position there is a constellation prize I am ok with. Realistically speaking if we want a C we can pick McTavish, if we want a winger we have Johnson or possibly even Guenther if we get super lucky. Even though one of the Ds, or Eklund would be a dream, I don't see them worth a trade up for. Clarke fills a role out team desperately needs, and if a team like Detroit wants to pick Wallstedt, maybe it's worth them trading down a few spots.

3 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Is there any player y’all want really badly and would trade up for? I’d trade up for Clarke. RHD like him don’t grow on trees. He has top notch potential and I see him being a Klingberg type of player, maybe even OEL. He’s tall and can be a efficient player you can put on your PP and PK. I’d trade to 5 or 6 if he’s still available

I'm not trading up for Clarke. He's most likely going to be a great player but trading up will cost our 2nd round pick minimum and there are too many wildcard RHD with great size and potential  that should be available for our 2nd pick. I'd be more happy with dropping back 2 or 3 spots to get an extra 2nd and pick Ceulemans.

OK I've ranted and raved enough about Eklund lately, now lets look at the reasons he could fall to 9th overall.

He didn't have it quite as bad as the OHL players, but Eklund's draft rankings have been drastically effected by covid. Being a late birthday, he was eligible for last year's U18s, which were cancelled, and not this year's. And then he missed World Juniors because he tested positive for covid. He did get to play a full season in SHL and he actually excelled, but if he'd had the opportunity to play amongst his peers he could have dominated on an international stage. As things stand, teams will have to rely mainly on their European scouts and video, but those 10+ games between U18s and U20s for GMs and head scouts to see him live for themselves would have made a big difference

While there's a lot to like about his skating, there's some things not to like. His first couple steps could use more power, and his top speed is very good, but not elite.

He has good lower body strength and is tough to knock off his feet, but lack of upper body strength makes it tough to win puck battles at the pro level, but he often still finds a way with his smarts and quickness. He has good positioning and an active stick defensively, but he needs to continue to learn to be more deceptive from a defensive standpoint - he's not much of a difference-maker on the forecheck.

In the offensive zone, he certainly has the ability to read and react to make plays in tight spaces, but I'd like to see him take the puck into those high-danger scoring areas more often. He has no hesitations to get in around the net and battle without the puck, and actually scores some really nifty deflection goals, but when he has the puck he's often too responsible and cautious to maintain possession first and then looks to make plays to the net with his passing rather than carrying it to the inside himself.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/27/2021 at 8:16 PM, Dazzle said:

Your rankings look cherry-picked. Let's see you produce a list of prospects eligible for 2021 RIGHT NOW and explain why each prospect belong there.

Dobson hasn't done nearly as much as Hughes has, and I find it laughable that you still think your opinion on Dobson "could still change". Also, next to no one had Pettersson at 5 in 2017. That's another example why I think you are cherrypicking with the benefit of a 20/20 hindsight.

Caufield is/was good, but his small size should've been a "concern". I am all for small players succeeding, but there's a reason why he slipped, much like how Podkolzin did too. It doesn't mean they're BAD players. Certainly, Caufield has blossomed for MTL, and I am very happy for him.

How are my rankings cherry picked? These were the people I had ranked prior to the draft and if you want to search the previous draft history threads you'll see I pounded the table on most of these guys. Nothing to hide here. As I already explained in my post I mainly scout based on stat analytics and this years draft hasn't really provided me with much to work with. Most of the projected high draft picks are in the NCAA (older draft players) with the rest mostly in leagues across seas. That's why I don't really have a projected ranking of each player. I have a few players I'd like to have but I can't say I have a lot of conviction in my guesses. My Dobson pick can also be seen in my previous posts and l don't understand how you can say I am using 20/20 hindsight. I could've said I picked Hughes but I didn't because that wasn't my pick regardless of whether he was available or not. I had Dobson higher than Hughes on my draft board. Whether he turns out to be better or not is irrelevant as I only meant to post it as 'my pick'.

Caufield's small size was a 'concern' but his stat line left me no doubt. If he were any taller for sure he would've been top 3 but because he was on the 'smaller' side I had him ranked around the 8-9 spot. 

9 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

Do you (or anyone for that matter) think Guenther is as good as his small WHL sample size this year indicates? I made a post a while back about his shooting % being potentially inflated, and also about some high scoring games he was in (he had three 4-point games, which meant 25% of games played were 4-point, along with a couple 3-point nights). I'm not trying to pick him apart, it's just hard when you are dealing with a small sample size, which isn't their fault, it's just the hand that they and we as amateur scouts, have been dealt this draft.

Reason I ask is I haven't been overly impressed with him in my viewings, and I'm thinking it must be me by this point as many have nothing but stellar things to say.

Because his sample size is so small you have a valid point. I prefer to discount his production. Do I think he is a 2ppg player? Probably not and he did play on a very good team which may have inflated his totals. However, even if he were rated around 1.5-1.6 ppg that would still be a top 3-7 pick most seasons. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Newhook has exceptional speed which will translate to the NHL level and I personally think he has the offensive awareness, ability and want to be a very good top 6 player in the future. Jost also has very good speed and doesn’t have the same offensive skill set outside of speed so he may not be a top 6 mainstay or game breaker but he should contribute in a bottom 6 role if even if he doesn’t progress and adapt from this point on. I personally think Johnson has a better offensive skill set then both players and loads of ability and potential, he doesn’t have the same wheels but he skates well enough and as he gets stronger over the next few years should improve in that area, he also seems to get labeled a bad defensive player but I don’t see that and I think if alot of people really watched him play they would also see that while there is room for improvement in the Dzone he actually understands defensive assignments and plays to them in the Dzone with effort, I think the biggest knock on Johnson is that he’s so good offensively that there are times he tries to do too much but with good coaching at the next level he can easily be taught to pick his spots as long as he is willing to learn and there’s nothing that says he isn’t. Commitment to fitness will

be massive for Johnson because if he gets stronger and is coach able he has the potential to be an absolute nightmare

Edit: With your criteria were you pretty stoked when the Canucks drafted Jackson Kunz last year? I think we took him in the 4th round and I believe he was the youngest player in the draft. 

Yes I was very stoked as I thought it was a great pick that you shoot for the fence based on potential.

I keep asking................what is the one position we do not have a key player in

The answer is...............a Right Hand Dman

The next question is....................

When is the next time we will be in position to go after one?

So lets do it!

• Cheers 1

:gocan:Will Hughes get drafted by New Jersey to play alongside his brother as I doubt he'll be available at 9!? Canucks need need a right shot defenseman and that I hope is Brandt Clarke, but that's a pipe dream! Keep the pick and draft the best player available!!!  For some reason I've got a funny feeling he's about to make a big splash at the draft!  

24 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Yes I was very stoked as I thought it was a great pick that you shoot for the fence based on potential.

Kid has a deadly shot, seems like he could be similar to Aidan McDonough. If either of them can improve foot speed and find another gear they could be gems. Not that it’s an easy task to make that improvement but it would sure be nice!

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

How are my rankings cherry picked? These were the people I had ranked prior to the draft and if you want to search the previous draft history threads you'll see I pounded the table on most of these guys. Nothing to hide here. As I already explained in my post I mainly scout based on stat analytics and this years draft hasn't really provided me with much to work with. Most of the projected high draft picks are in the NCAA (older draft players) with the rest mostly in leagues across seas. That's why I don't really have a projected ranking of each player. I have a few players I'd like to have but I can't say I have a lot of conviction in my guesses. My Dobson pick can also be seen in my previous posts and l don't understand how you can say I am using 20/20 hindsight. I could've said I picked Hughes but I didn't because that wasn't my pick regardless of whether he was available or not. I had Dobson higher than Hughes on my draft board. Whether he turns out to be better or not is irrelevant as I only meant to post it as 'my pick'.

Caufield's small size was a 'concern' but his stat line left me no doubt. If he were any taller for sure he would've been top 3 but because he was on the 'smaller' side I had him ranked around the 8-9 spot. 

You're telling me that you were privy to a particular prospect more than other scouts? It would've been believable if you said Glass was 5 because a lot of mock drafts had him there. But to say you had Pettersson ranked there is not at all believable. Only one source put him at 5. The rest were quite diverse. One source didn't even put him in the first round!

Unfortunately for you, I did a search and saw that you didn't write a lot about Dobson OR Pettersson. :rolleyes:  Why do you have to lie?

image.thumb.png.74ee4bf3b5faefe3bcce006c025c6a2f.png

image.thumb.png.ae51feb591c59ada562afefd5c07f81a.pngimage.thumb.png.1f53755e7f942155721e696bbde28236.png

Edited by Dazzle