The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I keep asking................what is the one position we do not have a key player in

The answer is...............a Right Hand Dman

The next question is....................

When is the next time we will be in position to go after one?

So lets do it!

Pretty much whenever we want. But we already talked about Cernak is probably off the table. I know you like Braden Schneider, but wouldn't be high on my list. Not sure who else might be available. Damon Severson would be the guy I'd be pushing hard for. Perhaps Jersey feels they are still somewhat early in the rebuild and his best years are being wasted there. Henri Jokiharju is another one I'd like to make a strong push for, but doubt Buffalo would part with him. And the other guy I mentioned before that would be a huge add for the Canucks would be Mackenzie Weegar.

6 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Pretty much whenever we want. But we already talked about Cernak is probably off the table. I know you like Braden Schneider, but wouldn't be high on my list. Not sure who else might be available. Damon Severson would be the guy I'd be pushing hard for. Perhaps Jersey feels they are still somewhat early in the rebuild and his best years are being wasted there. Henri Jokiharju is another one I'd like to make a strong push for, but doubt Buffalo would part with him. And the other guy I mentioned before that would be a huge add for the Canucks would be Mackenzie Weegar.

Weeger would be a great partner for hughes imo. Dude is great

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Honestly HOH

What I truly meant was to trade up and go after Clarke

If we are moving the pick for a ready now Dman, it had better be a 22/23 year old one, or we are wasting asset in our 9th.

It is not that I have to have Clarke, but I want a really good player, who is young

Teams do not tend to trade those types of players away

IMO, the #9 pick has the potential of being a starting 6 player.........meaning the guy we pick could very well be a 1st line player in any position

So, moving it certainly has to be a hockey trade.......it is why I feel I have been flip flopping so much

On one side we have Boeser, Pettersson, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Hughes on the other Miller, Horvat, Demko and Schmidt

If we go after Clarke and get him, well that is a 3 year wait, so ok, go after a RHD now, who is of appropriate age.

Jokiharju, Marino, Carlo, Soderstrom or Dobson?  Maybe younger guys like Bode Wilde, Braden Schneider,

or like you say...maybe Severson or Jones albeit risky and expensive

This is where us amateur's really run thin. Benning has the ability to establish availability, and/or cost, as well as potential, we simply spitball

But there is the dilemma, in a nut shell

But in my opinion, it is only starting down the rabbit hole, as then to make big moves you really need to have a handle on your other young prospects

like Woo, DiPietro, Costmar, Zlodeyev, McDonaugh, Truscott, Utunen, Jurmo, Persson, Karlsson, Kunz, Focht, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Lind, Bowey?

Are all these guys fringe or 2nd tier, do any of them raise their game? Are any going to play above 4th line, 3rd pairing?

I think that all plays out into any decisions that Benning may make...............

It is not as simple as CDC and Me, would like to make it out to be, which is why they get paid the big bucks, and we toil on CDC

Extremely interesting, but much more complexed than the average joe thinks!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 4

From Friedman's 31 thoughts:

10. I think New Jersey would consider moving the fourth-overall selection for a good, young defenceman.

Great opportunity to send Quinn Hughes to   New Jersey in exchange for the fourth overall pick in  2021.  Van is proud to select Brandt Clarke with the 4th overall pick in the 2021 draft.

• RoughGame 3

13 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

10. I think New Jersey would consider moving the fourth-overall selection for a good, young defenceman.

Great opportunity to send Quinn Hughes to   New Jersey in exchange for the fourth overall pick in  2021.  Van is proud to select Brandt Clarke with the 4th overall pick in the 2021 draft.

Why would Vancouver do this trade?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Honestly HOH

What I truly meant was to trade up and go after Clarke

Lol yeah I figured. But what better way to respond to rhetoric than the truth?

If we are moving the pick for a ready now Dman, it had better be a 22/23 year old one, or we are wasting asset in our 9th.

Yeah Severson wouldn't be the best option. Didn't realize he will be 27 in August and a year away from UFA.

It is not that I have to have Clarke, but I want a really good player, who is young

Teams do not tend to trade those types of players away

See this is where I think the problem is - a loser mentality. Same reason so many people here are so obsessed with tanking to get the highest picks, even though Benning has shown a remarkable knack for getting impact-to-elite level players with picks outside the top 5. He actually kinda has better success with picks 10-40 than he does 1-9. But it's this same idea that "well we could never get an elite young defenseman through trade. The only way to do it is to absolutely suck and get a top pick." Absolute loser mentality. Not calling you or anyone a loser, but I feel like it is just kinda in the air around the Canucks - being one of the longest running Cupless teams with three Finals losses can do that.

When Rutherford came in to Pittsburgh and made a major play to land Kessel, he had already won a Cup with Carolina in 2006. Didn't work out as well for Burke in Toronto, but he knew it could because he'd done it once before with Anaheim. Dean Lombardi was another one who went out and made $&!# happen with L.A. in 2012; he didn't have a Cup with San Jose but he had built them from a basement dwelling expansion team to a perennial contender, increasing their point totals for 6 consecutive seasons. Doug Armstrong, another one that eventually made aggressive moves to put St. Louis over the top. He had been AGM of Dallas' '99 Cup team.

That's where Benning comes in: like Armstrong, he was an AGM to a Cup winner, and like Armstrong, he has been biding his time, doing things "the right way" mostly - although adding Miller was a fairly bold move. But as others have mentioned, Horvat is 26. Demko is about to be 26. We're going to have to find out pretty damn soon what Benning is really made of.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Colorado is sure to be calling NJ about this... they have to move one of their good, young defencemen anyways.  Why not package one for 4th OA and pick another blue chip prospect.

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Wow :picard:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I'm assuming you mean NJ's 1st this year, 2022 1st, Severson and maybe a F prospect? Even then not sure we want to do this. We've never had a player like Quinn.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol yeah I figured. But what better way to respond to rhetoric than the truth?

Yeah Severson wouldn't be the best option. Didn't realize he will be 27 in August and a year away from UFA.

See this is where I think the problem is - a loser mentality. Same reason so many people here are so obsessed with tanking to get the highest picks, even though Benning has shown a remarkable knack for getting impact-to-elite level players with picks outside the top 5. He actually kinda has better success with picks 10-40 than he does 1-9. But it's this same idea that "well we could never get an elite young defenseman through trade. The only way to do it is to absolutely suck and get a top pick." Absolute loser mentality. Not calling you or anyone a loser, but I feel like it is just kinda in the air around the Canucks - being one of the longest running Cupless teams with three Finals losses can do that.

When Rutherford came in to Pittsburgh and made a major play to land Kessel, he had already won a Cup with Carolina in 2006. Didn't work out as well for Burke in Toronto, but he knew it could because he'd done it once before with Anaheim. Dean Lombardi was another one who went out and made $&!# happen with L.A. in 2012; he didn't have a Cup with San Jose but he had built them from a basement dwelling expansion team to a perennial contender, increasing their point totals for 6 consecutive seasons. Doug Armstrong, another one that eventually made aggressive moves to put St. Louis over the top. He had been AGM of Dallas' '99 Cup team.

That's where Benning comes in: like Armstrong, he was an AGM to a Cup winner, and like Armstrong, he has been biding his time, doing things "the right way" mostly - although adding Miller was a fairly bold move. But as others have mentioned, Horvat is 26. Demko is about to be 26. We're going to have to find out pretty damn soon what Benning is really made of.

Today, if you look around the league, there are a few teams that are rebuilding the right way

Colorado.................a long methodical and precise rebuild

Carolina..................a focused and methodical rebuild

Edmonton...............a team that got lucky, still could not win and finally started a proper rebuild of their prospects and defense

NYR........................Lucky, but methodical...........take a look at their RHD

N Jersey.................early stages, a little scattered, but going in the right direction

LA........................... their collection of young talent is awesome....very young

Anaheim..................just starting, but appears methodical

The collection of high draft picks is not only to add to your team, but also to be used as currency. Even Benning showed why this works with Taffoli, and on the reverse side, LA did this as well in the same deal.

There is no doubt that Taffoli was a fan favorite in LA, but LA moved him because it was best for the franchise, It did several things, when the trade happened, first it brought in instant asset in the form of Madden and the 2nd, but it also weakened LA, which allowed them to drop in the standings. Colorado did this as well back when they moved Duchene, as well. The return asset, helped them rebuild quicker.

There is no doubt there are different ways to rebuild, but successful ones, liquidate and drop, then rebuild, with good drafting and good trades. I do not appreciate being called a loser, because I see it this way. Especially when, there are NHL models out there, that show exactly that.

I respond to this because, the truth is, that if some veterans had been moved earlier, we would have more assets to work with now, and it was Benning's lack of imagination and his POV, that prevented that. And no, I do not believe the few wins  that we got, that we would not, built character, that is a fools POV. 

IMO, if we had that extra asset that would have been recovered, we would have been in a much better position, to A) go out and do a hockey trade for a young defenseman

B ) might already have one, or C) would have dropped low enough to make that pick ourselves.

Yes, there are always examples of teams that do it and do not succeed (early Edmonton and Toronto), but in those cases, it had more to do with scouting staff, not identifying the proper draft targets.

It is not to have a team of all young prospects floundering around, but a cohesive plan that allows for transition and movement of assets, where a GM take asset and acquires needed pieces as required, but coming out of the rebuild too early causes the rebuild to stall, and impatient teams stall never getting to the top.

The word "Tank" is a word used by ignorant hockey fans that do not know the history of hockey, nor how dynasties were done. They are never done with just, draft picks, but rather a GM that makes shrewd trades, when the time is right, to supplement those young picks (aka Stars)........"Supplement" !

Now, the reason I am going off, is simple. Far too often people use the Tank to take jabs at other, but are never ones to take the stand, and say how they would do it. Nor will they ever admit that it is done in the NHL...........not by players, and not by coaches, but by GM's who play chess, not checkers

So, to get on point here............the Canucks are short assets to really have a long stay at the top, and need to acquire players that will impact the team.  They need a #1/#2 RHD, and a 3rd line Center who can play up. They need depth, and until they get that, they may climb up to a top 12 team, but they won't go further>>>>IMO.

So, however Benning does it, it is too late to look back and use what ifs, that is gone. We need to clear cap for "IMPACT" UFA's and to resign assets over the next 2 years. And IMO, the year we could use the Strategic Tank, are gone, so don't bring it up any more, not to jab at others, nor say it is not used.

As I have said many times, players play in the moment, coaches coach for the season, and GM's should be GMing in the long haul. Those that don't usually don't last.

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 3:34 PM, HighOnHockey said:

Wait, what? You just seem to be making the argument that there is more room for development for summer birthday players at the time they are drafted. Everyone knows that the youngest players at the draft on average have more room for improvement. This doesn't logically entail TGoku's claim that most of the best players are born in that date range. In fact, I looked up the synopsis to the book you mentioned, and it seems to claim exactly the opposite, that "a disproportionate number of elite Canadian hockey players are born in the earlier months of the calendar year."

There is a disproportionate amount of prospects in the jan-April range which is why I believe it very possible that a disproportionate amount of top nhl dmen are may-august. 

Probably  something to do with the way dmen tend to develop and these late birthdays have to scratch and claw to stay relevant as a prospect but then come 21, 22 years old they are on an even playing field physically but have gone through that earlier adversity.

I’m not sure of any of the stats but it seems very plausible to m with dmen because of their quirky development path. I would assume though that most star forward talent is equally represented 

7 minutes ago, brbetts542 said:

There is a disproportionate amount of prospects in the jan-April range which is why I believe it very possible that a disproportionate amount of top nhl dmen are may-august. 

Probably  something to do with the way dmen tend to develop and these late birthdays have to scratch and claw to stay relevant as a prospect but then come 21, 22 years old they are on an even playing field physically but have gone through that earlier adversity.

I’m not sure of any of the stats but it seems very plausible to m with dmen because of their quirky development path. I would assume though that most star forward talent is equally represented 

Luke Hughes is one week from being in the 2022 draft.  I’m hoping he falls to us.  Doubt it, but fingers crossed.  

Howdy, 

Been dealing with life the universe and everything, currently finding out the value of the number 42 after chilling at the restaurant at the end of the universe.  

If you don’t get the above references, then put down whatever you’re doing and read the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy or something else mindless, it’s Way to hot to be still playing hockey…. Lol.  

but with all that is wrong in the world, I do have some high, lol, hopes for this years draft selection.  

firstly I hope highly that we trade the pick for immediate re enforcements for our very weak center spot.  

the 9th overall for Sam Reinheart, sign me up.  We should all be absolutely thankful Bo is so durable, because if he went down for any length of time we had a possibility of having Sutter line up at our top center spot last year.  

Getting immediate help at center is way more important than RHD IMO.  If we line up three deep at center with legit offensive threat combos, not whole lines, IE Pits, Philly and LA, then it takes enormous pressure off of EP40.  SAM is a legit threat, can easily carry his line, to the same level of Bo, offensively, but is a better QB option for the Number 2 PP, giving a second option to EP40, spreading out the PKer’s to have to protect both PP1 and PP2 semi equally.  Double shift QH on the PP in the back half of games, what could SAM do with a QH to pass with and SAM can fill the same role EP40 does on PP2 as the go to 1 timer on the Right side taking the pass from QH in the same places EP40 does.  SAM has a very effective shot, maybe a $&!# first Center on the PP, like a Carter lite, IE LA Kings.  

With SAM, Bo could slip down into the 3 line role as a shut down guy at times, late games, or, SAM could line up in as a triple threat third line player Ala Carter.  Maybe not as productive, but is only 25, a local guy with the ability to keep playing thru some horrible management in Buffalo, he would think JB and Co to be a major upgrade, not a POV every player in the league would share, ala Schmidt and Miller.  

We have some younger players who could really make an impact on a third line with either s Bo or Sam at center.  Podz, Hogz, Motte and on the outside, Lind.  All on cheap contracts.  Most ELC’s or league minimum with Lind on his next contract.  

Having an effective center on all 4 lines is incredibly important for a defence to be productive.  That dedicated center that can play in all 3 zones is so important, we have two guys already that can do that, EP40 and Bo.  SAM maybe isn’t a stalwart in his own end, IDK, so others can inform.  

Of course the need is a third Center capable of scoring and has decent play in the other zones.  

Our ninth is best served now, while EP40, Bo, Brock, Demko and Hughes are cheap enough to build around.  

With Hogz, Podz and Lind, there is some promise at wing, we have some depth at LHD and Goal.  

If not, and the top goalie is still on the board, trade down and pick up a second second.  There are some legit good RHD and Centers to be found bellow the 9th pick.  Raty for one a Russian guy is projected to go 15th, he sounds like a Podz clone.  , Morrow is RHD projected in the 2nd amongst 4-5 good d prospects.  

so either turn the pick like JB did with Miller and add SAM, or trade down a few picks, adding another second and pick centers and RHD whenever the choice presents.  

I don’t see a major difference in upside of taking a winger, Mactavish is enticing, but he also sounds like the next Gaunce.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

Howdy, 

Been dealing with life the universe and everything, currently finding out the value of the number 42 after chilling at the restaurant at the end of the universe.  

If you don’t get the above references, then put down whatever you’re doing and read the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy or something else mindless, it’s Way to hot to be still playing hockey…. Lol.  

but with all that is wrong in the world, I do have some high, lol, hopes for this years draft selection.  

firstly I hope highly that we trade the pick for immediate re enforcements for our very weak center spot.  

the 9th overall for Sam Reinheart, sign me up.  We should all be absolutely thankful Bo is so durable, because if he went down for any length of time we had a possibility of having Sutter line up at our top center spot last year.  

Getting immediate help at center is way more important than RHD IMO.  If we line up three deep at center with legit offensive threat combos, not whole lines, IE Pits, Philly and LA, then it takes enormous pressure off of EP40.  SAM is a legit threat, can easily carry his line, to the same level of Bo, offensively, but is a better QB option for the Number 2 PP, giving a second option to EP40, spreading out the PKer’s to have to protect both PP1 and PP2 semi equally.  Double shift QH on the PP in the back half of games, what could SAM do with a QH to pass with and SAM can fill the same role EP40 does on PP2 as the go to 1 timer on the Right side taking the pass from QH in the same places EP40 does.  SAM has a very effective shot, maybe a $&!# first Center on the PP, like a Carter lite, IE LA Kings.  

With SAM, Bo could slip down into the 3 line role as a shut down guy at times, late games, or, SAM could line up in as a triple threat third line player Ala Carter.  Maybe not as productive, but is only 25, a local guy with the ability to keep playing thru some horrible management in Buffalo, he would think JB and Co to be a major upgrade, not a POV every player in the league would share, ala Schmidt and Miller.  

We have some younger players who could really make an impact on a third line with either s Bo or Sam at center.  Podz, Hogz, Motte and on the outside, Lind.  All on cheap contracts.  Most ELC’s or league minimum with Lind on his next contract.  

Having an effective center on all 4 lines is incredibly important for a defence to be productive.  That dedicated center that can play in all 3 zones is so important, we have two guys already that can do that, EP40 and Bo.  SAM maybe isn’t a stalwart in his own end, IDK, so others can inform.  

Of course the need is a third Center capable of scoring and has decent play in the other zones.  

Our ninth is best served now, while EP40, Bo, Brock, Demko and Hughes are cheap enough to build around.  

With Hogz, Podz and Lind, there is some promise at wing, we have some depth at LHD and Goal.  

If not, and the top goalie is still on the board, trade down and pick up a second second.  There are some legit good RHD and Centers to be found bellow the 9th pick.  Raty for one a Russian guy is projected to go 15th, he sounds like a Podz clone.  , Morrow is RHD projected in the 2nd amongst 4-5 good d prospects.  

so either turn the pick like JB did with Miller and add SAM, or trade down a few picks, adding another second and pick centers and RHD whenever the choice presents.  

I don’t see a major difference in upside of taking a winger, Mactavish is enticing, but he also sounds like the next Gaunce.   

Maybe we could get both Rhino and Risto in the same deal?  

32 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Howdy, 

I demand to know how you posted this. I just put down my copy of The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy about half an hour ago...gonna need to drink more and think about this. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I demand to know how you posted this. I just put down my copy of The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy about half an hour ago...gonna need to drink more and think about this. 

Don’t panic, and never forget your towel.  

Yes or no?

To Detroit 

9th overall

Michael dipetro

Antoine Roussel

To Van:

Tyler Bertuzzi RFA rights

22nd overall

Vancouver draft scott Morrow at 22

Vancouver drafts tag Bertuzzi in a late round

Hoglander pettersson Boeser

Bertuzzi Horvat ?