Tyler Bertuzzi RFA rights

22nd overall

Vancouver draft scott Morrow at 22

Vancouver drafts tag Bertuzzi in a late round

Hoglander pettersson Boeser

Bertuzzi Horvat ?

Pearson miller Podkolzin

Would just need to find 1 more for the top 9

I don’t think Canucks want another RFA to sign.

Im not sure your aware but Canucks got no cash to spend. Canucks can only afford cheap rookie contracts or league minimum players...unfortunately.

i agree TB would be great on Canucks but money wise it’s tough fit.

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

ere is no doubt that Taffoli was a fan favorite in LA, but LA moved him because it was best for the franchise, It did several things, when the trade happened, first it brought in instant asset in the form of Madden and the 2nd, but it also weakened LA, which allowed them to drop in the standings. Colorado did this as well back when they moved Duchene, as well. The return asset, helped them rebuild quicker.

Its funny how many on CDC who advocate rebuilding also loved acquiring Tofolli. And criticize letting him go. 

It is pretty obvious that JB has never been a rebuilder.  Whether that is his own mandate, or the owners, is debatable? That we have not been sellers often undeniable. FTR I would have been an advocate for selling 2, 4 & even 6 years ago.  Right now, at this minute sell?

This year I think we just let Podkolzin, with some luck Lind, Rathbone arrive. Ask for growth from Hogz / Petey / Quinn. Find a RHD and tinker with the bottom 6.  Next summer we will have all kinds of flexibility to add key pieces to the roster.

I dont really want to talk about selling.  The time to move Schmidt, for example, if there was one would be next deadline. And it will still be unlikely Benning will have any mandate, or impetus to sell.  

Who do you like with our 2knd; will Scott Morrow be there?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

As always Interesting Friedman on D&D yesterday.

end part about Holtby going to Seattle then traded to Boston.

Canucks cant trade Holtby directly to Boston (who apparently want him) cause they dont have another Goalie thats expansion draft eligible. Unless they trade for another nhl goalie.

but at lest it would open up cap room if Holtby is drafted by the dreaded Kraken.

Edited by HockeyHarry

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its funny how many on CDC who advocate rebuilding also loved acquiring Tofolli. And criticize letting him go. 

It is pretty obvious that JB has never been a rebuilder.  Whether that is his own mandate, or the owners, is debatable? That we have not been sellers often undeniable. FTR I would have been an advocate for selling 2, 4 & even 6 years ago.  Right now, at this minute sell?

This year I think we just let Podkolzin, with some luck Lind, Rathbone arrive. Ask for growth from Hogz / Petey / Quinn. Find a RHD and tinker with the bottom 6.  Next summer we will have all kinds of flexibility to add key pieces to the roster.

I dont really want to talk about selling.  The time to move Schmidt, for example, if there was one would be next deadline. And it will still be unlikely Benning will have any mandate, or impetus to sell.  

Who do you like with our 2knd; will Scott Morrow be there?

Generally, I agree with you. There is nothing left to sell.

What we really need is one of our B prospects to step up and hit his ceiling? Wishful thinking.

IMO, that is why we should not trade our prospect/ draft picks.......all our blue chippers are now on the team

IMO, you win with your core, and elite, so as much as it pains me, I would rather we sign a UFA top tier when it is right

Costly, but IMO necessary......"IF" you goal is to reach the top

I think Utica can provide the rest

PS.....we need ELC's or we end up moving players to fix cap problems...long term

We should only move our #9 OA for a young U22/U23 player of equal value

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Generally, I agree with you. There is nothing left to sell.

What we really need is one of our B prospects to step up and hit his ceiling? Wishful thinking.

IMO, that is why we should not trade our prospect/ draft picks.......all our blue chippers are now on the team

IMO, you win with your core, and elite, so as much as it pains me, I would rather we sign a UFA top tier when it is right

Costly, but IMO necessary......"IF" you goal is to reach the top

I think Utica can provide the rest

PS.....we need ELC's or we end up moving players to fix cap problems...long term

We should only move our #9 OA for a young U22/U23 player of equal value

So you think the Devils are going to help us out? Geez, Jan you have got to keep up with the news......

30 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Canucks cant trade Holtby directly to Boston (who apparently want him) cause they dont have another Goalie thats expansion draft eligible. Unless they trade for another nhl goalie.

but at lest it would open up cap room if Holtby is drafted by the dreaded Kraken.

Might need a sweetener depending on what Boston is offering.  This would be the best case scenario for the expansion draft.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hoglander looks a great candidate to be a ceiling player.

I'll be happy if some combination of Lind, Rathbone & Gadjovich can play some games this year.  That what you expect from 2knd and 4th round picks.  Rathbone, also a guy with upside hopefully as his middle name!

I loved your post / reply!

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Might need a sweetener depending on what Boston is offering.  This would be the best case scenario for the expansion draft.

Sorry.

We structured a contract so it was unlikely Seattle would select Hotby.  I doubt we will be disingenuous to any conversations that have already taken place.  We want to be players in next years UFA market.  Seen as a team that stood to their word. I also have no interest in paying assets in respect to ED.  We don' stand to be losing anything of particular value.

Not that I disagree completely. I like the idea of shedding Holtby's salary.   If they pick Holtby, so be it. Not paying them to do it!

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Sorry.

We structured a contract so it was unlikely Seattle would select Hotby.  I doubt we will be disingenuous to any conversations that have already taken place.  We want to be players in next years UFA market.  Seen as a team that stood to their word. I also have no interest in paying assets in respect to ED.  We don' stand to be losing anything of particular value.

Not that I disagree completely. I like the idea of shedding Holtby's salary.   If they pick Holtby, so be it. Not paying them to do it!

I'd rather lose a second than Gadjovich or Lind, both of whom are second rounders with years of development.  My concern is more regarding what they'll pick instead rather than the cap savings.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather lose a second than Gadjovich or Lind, both of whom are second rounders with years of development.  My concern is more regarding what they'll pick instead rather than the cap savings.

Both Gadgy & Lind ''might'' be NHL players.  If I had my prediction cap on? They don't currently project to be 200 game NHL players. Currently project to 3rd line ceilings. If they continue to develop as they did last year?  Just look like guys who will get a shot. I do agree that is better than a lot of 2knd round picks.

Which by the way, is what you normally ask for from their draft position.     

Hoglander, however, as a 2knd was an elite athlete.  Similar skills at draft age. Could compete and battle with pro's right away based on strength, endurance.  Had more upside because he could power away from battles with the puck. Every 2knd or 3rd year there is one or two out there who has that type of upside. More than we will get from Gadgy or Lind.  Who have to find another gear still to jump to the NHL.  

I am happy to keep picks.  But I see why you could view it that way.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If Boston wants him, they can make it work. We shouldn't need to add. If Seattle ends up taking someone else, then we can make a trade with Boston after expansion.

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

I thought for goalies the rule is just a signed or qualified RFA goalie. I don't think there's a criteria for games played and so on. So we could technically qualify Keilly and have him as our exposed goalie (unless I misinterpreted the rules).

I don't think Boston wants to spend assets now to acquire him though as Seattle could take him in the end. So I suspect they rather go through this expansion route instead if this is indeed true.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I thought for goalies the rule is just a signed or qualified RFA goalie. I don't think there's a criteria for games played and so on. So we could technically qualify Keilly and have him as our exposed goalie (unless I misinterpreted the rules).

I don't think Boston wants to spend assets now to acquire him though as Seattle could take him in the end. So I suspect they rather go through this expansion route instead if this is indeed true.

Regardless of how Holtby gets to Boston we dump his cap.  Use Dipietro as the backup and save over 3 mil off our cap, right?  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regardless of how Holtby gets to Boston we dump his cap.  Use Dipietro as the backup and save over 3 mil off our cap, right?  

Demko has had a long list of lengthy injuries.  

i wouldn’t feel comfortable with this scenario unless Ian Clark thinks Mikey is ready. 

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Laurent Brossoit is always a cheap back-up option as well.

• Vintage 1