The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

On 6/27/2021 at 8:16 PM, Dazzle said:

Your rankings look cherry-picked. Let's see you produce a list of prospects eligible for 2021 RIGHT NOW and explain why each prospect belong there.

Dobson hasn't done nearly as much as Hughes has, and I find it laughable that you still think your opinion on Dobson "could still change". Also, next to no one had Pettersson at 5 in 2017. That's another example why I think you are cherrypicking with the benefit of a 20/20 hindsight.

Caufield is/was good, but his small size should've been a "concern". I am all for small players succeeding, but there's a reason why he slipped, much like how Podkolzin did too. It doesn't mean they're BAD players. Certainly, Caufield has blossomed for MTL, and I am very happy for him.

How are my rankings cherry picked? These were the people I had ranked prior to the draft and if you want to search the previous draft history threads you'll see I pounded the table on most of these guys. Nothing to hide here. As I already explained in my post I mainly scout based on stat analytics and this years draft hasn't really provided me with much to work with. Most of the projected high draft picks are in the NCAA (older draft players) with the rest mostly in leagues across seas. That's why I don't really have a projected ranking of each player. I have a few players I'd like to have but I can't say I have a lot of conviction in my guesses. My Dobson pick can also be seen in my previous posts and l don't understand how you can say I am using 20/20 hindsight. I could've said I picked Hughes but I didn't because that wasn't my pick regardless of whether he was available or not. I had Dobson higher than Hughes on my draft board. Whether he turns out to be better or not is irrelevant as I only meant to post it as 'my pick'.

Caufield's small size was a 'concern' but his stat line left me no doubt. If he were any taller for sure he would've been top 3 but because he was on the 'smaller' side I had him ranked around the 8-9 spot. 

9 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

Do you (or anyone for that matter) think Guenther is as good as his small WHL sample size this year indicates? I made a post a while back about his shooting % being potentially inflated, and also about some high scoring games he was in (he had three 4-point games, which meant 25% of games played were 4-point, along with a couple 3-point nights). I'm not trying to pick him apart, it's just hard when you are dealing with a small sample size, which isn't their fault, it's just the hand that they and we as amateur scouts, have been dealt this draft.

Reason I ask is I haven't been overly impressed with him in my viewings, and I'm thinking it must be me by this point as many have nothing but stellar things to say.

Because his sample size is so small you have a valid point. I prefer to discount his production. Do I think he is a 2ppg player? Probably not and he did play on a very good team which may have inflated his totals. However, even if he were rated around 1.5-1.6 ppg that would still be a top 3-7 pick most seasons. 

• Hydration 1

23 hours ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Newhook has exceptional speed which will translate to the NHL level and I personally think he has the offensive awareness, ability and want to be a very good top 6 player in the future. Jost also has very good speed and doesn’t have the same offensive skill set outside of speed so he may not be a top 6 mainstay or game breaker but he should contribute in a bottom 6 role if even if he doesn’t progress and adapt from this point on. I personally think Johnson has a better offensive skill set then both players and loads of ability and potential, he doesn’t have the same wheels but he skates well enough and as he gets stronger over the next few years should improve in that area, he also seems to get labeled a bad defensive player but I don’t see that and I think if alot of people really watched him play they would also see that while there is room for improvement in the Dzone he actually understands defensive assignments and plays to them in the Dzone with effort, I think the biggest knock on Johnson is that he’s so good offensively that there are times he tries to do too much but with good coaching at the next level he can easily be taught to pick his spots as long as he is willing to learn and there’s nothing that says he isn’t. Commitment to fitness will

be massive for Johnson because if he gets stronger and is coach able he has the potential to be an absolute nightmare

Edit: With your criteria were you pretty stoked when the Canucks drafted Jackson Kunz last year? I think we took him in the 4th round and I believe he was the youngest player in the draft. 

Yes I was very stoked as I thought it was a great pick that you shoot for the fence based on potential.

I keep asking................what is the one position we do not have a key player in

The answer is...............a Right Hand Dman

The next question is....................

When is the next time we will be in position to go after one?

So lets do it!

• Hydration 1

:gocan:Will Hughes get drafted by New Jersey to play alongside his brother as I doubt he'll be available at 9!? Canucks need need a right shot defenseman and that I hope is Brandt Clarke, but that's a pipe dream! Keep the pick and draft the best player available!!!  For some reason I've got a funny feeling he's about to make a big splash at the draft!  

24 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Yes I was very stoked as I thought it was a great pick that you shoot for the fence based on potential.

Kid has a deadly shot, seems like he could be similar to Aidan McDonough. If either of them can improve foot speed and find another gear they could be gems. Not that it’s an easy task to make that improvement but it would sure be nice!

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

How are my rankings cherry picked? These were the people I had ranked prior to the draft and if you want to search the previous draft history threads you'll see I pounded the table on most of these guys. Nothing to hide here. As I already explained in my post I mainly scout based on stat analytics and this years draft hasn't really provided me with much to work with. Most of the projected high draft picks are in the NCAA (older draft players) with the rest mostly in leagues across seas. That's why I don't really have a projected ranking of each player. I have a few players I'd like to have but I can't say I have a lot of conviction in my guesses. My Dobson pick can also be seen in my previous posts and l don't understand how you can say I am using 20/20 hindsight. I could've said I picked Hughes but I didn't because that wasn't my pick regardless of whether he was available or not. I had Dobson higher than Hughes on my draft board. Whether he turns out to be better or not is irrelevant as I only meant to post it as 'my pick'.

Caufield's small size was a 'concern' but his stat line left me no doubt. If he were any taller for sure he would've been top 3 but because he was on the 'smaller' side I had him ranked around the 8-9 spot. 

You're telling me that you were privy to a particular prospect more than other scouts? It would've been believable if you said Glass was 5 because a lot of mock drafts had him there. But to say you had Pettersson ranked there is not at all believable. Only one source put him at 5. The rest were quite diverse. One source didn't even put him in the first round!

Unfortunately for you, I did a search and saw that you didn't write a lot about Dobson OR Pettersson. :rolleyes:  Why do you have to lie?

image.thumb.png.74ee4bf3b5faefe3bcce006c025c6a2f.png

image.thumb.png.ae51feb591c59ada562afefd5c07f81a.pngimage.thumb.png.1f53755e7f942155721e696bbde28236.png

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I keep asking................what is the one position we do not have a key player in

The answer is...............a Right Hand Dman

The next question is....................

When is the next time we will be in position to go after one?

So lets do it!

Pretty much whenever we want. But we already talked about Cernak is probably off the table. I know you like Braden Schneider, but wouldn't be high on my list. Not sure who else might be available. Damon Severson would be the guy I'd be pushing hard for. Perhaps Jersey feels they are still somewhat early in the rebuild and his best years are being wasted there. Henri Jokiharju is another one I'd like to make a strong push for, but doubt Buffalo would part with him. And the other guy I mentioned before that would be a huge add for the Canucks would be Mackenzie Weegar.

6 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Pretty much whenever we want. But we already talked about Cernak is probably off the table. I know you like Braden Schneider, but wouldn't be high on my list. Not sure who else might be available. Damon Severson would be the guy I'd be pushing hard for. Perhaps Jersey feels they are still somewhat early in the rebuild and his best years are being wasted there. Henri Jokiharju is another one I'd like to make a strong push for, but doubt Buffalo would part with him. And the other guy I mentioned before that would be a huge add for the Canucks would be Mackenzie Weegar.

Weeger would be a great partner for hughes imo. Dude is great

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Honestly HOH

What I truly meant was to trade up and go after Clarke

If we are moving the pick for a ready now Dman, it had better be a 22/23 year old one, or we are wasting asset in our 9th.

It is not that I have to have Clarke, but I want a really good player, who is young

Teams do not tend to trade those types of players away

IMO, the #9 pick has the potential of being a starting 6 player.........meaning the guy we pick could very well be a 1st line player in any position

So, moving it certainly has to be a hockey trade.......it is why I feel I have been flip flopping so much

On one side we have Boeser, Pettersson, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Hughes on the other Miller, Horvat, Demko and Schmidt

If we go after Clarke and get him, well that is a 3 year wait, so ok, go after a RHD now, who is of appropriate age.

Jokiharju, Marino, Carlo, Soderstrom or Dobson?  Maybe younger guys like Bode Wilde, Braden Schneider,

or like you say...maybe Severson or Jones albeit risky and expensive

This is where us amateur's really run thin. Benning has the ability to establish availability, and/or cost, as well as potential, we simply spitball

But there is the dilemma, in a nut shell

But in my opinion, it is only starting down the rabbit hole, as then to make big moves you really need to have a handle on your other young prospects

like Woo, DiPietro, Costmar, Zlodeyev, McDonaugh, Truscott, Utunen, Jurmo, Persson, Karlsson, Kunz, Focht, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Lind, Bowey?

Are all these guys fringe or 2nd tier, do any of them raise their game? Are any going to play above 4th line, 3rd pairing?

I think that all plays out into any decisions that Benning may make...............

It is not as simple as CDC and Me, would like to make it out to be, which is why they get paid the big bucks, and we toil on CDC

Extremely interesting, but much more complexed than the average joe thinks!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Hydration 4

From Friedman's 31 thoughts:

10. I think New Jersey would consider moving the fourth-overall selection for a good, young defenceman.

Great opportunity to send Quinn Hughes to   New Jersey in exchange for the fourth overall pick in  2021.  Van is proud to select Brandt Clarke with the 4th overall pick in the 2021 draft.

• RoughGame 3

13 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

10. I think New Jersey would consider moving the fourth-overall selection for a good, young defenceman.

Great opportunity to send Quinn Hughes to   New Jersey in exchange for the fourth overall pick in  2021.  Van is proud to select Brandt Clarke with the 4th overall pick in the 2021 draft.

Why would Vancouver do this trade?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Honestly HOH

What I truly meant was to trade up and go after Clarke

Lol yeah I figured. But what better way to respond to rhetoric than the truth?

If we are moving the pick for a ready now Dman, it had better be a 22/23 year old one, or we are wasting asset in our 9th.

Yeah Severson wouldn't be the best option. Didn't realize he will be 27 in August and a year away from UFA.

It is not that I have to have Clarke, but I want a really good player, who is young

Teams do not tend to trade those types of players away

See this is where I think the problem is - a loser mentality. Same reason so many people here are so obsessed with tanking to get the highest picks, even though Benning has shown a remarkable knack for getting impact-to-elite level players with picks outside the top 5. He actually kinda has better success with picks 10-40 than he does 1-9. But it's this same idea that "well we could never get an elite young defenseman through trade. The only way to do it is to absolutely suck and get a top pick." Absolute loser mentality. Not calling you or anyone a loser, but I feel like it is just kinda in the air around the Canucks - being one of the longest running Cupless teams with three Finals losses can do that.

When Rutherford came in to Pittsburgh and made a major play to land Kessel, he had already won a Cup with Carolina in 2006. Didn't work out as well for Burke in Toronto, but he knew it could because he'd done it once before with Anaheim. Dean Lombardi was another one who went out and made $&!# happen with L.A. in 2012; he didn't have a Cup with San Jose but he had built them from a basement dwelling expansion team to a perennial contender, increasing their point totals for 6 consecutive seasons. Doug Armstrong, another one that eventually made aggressive moves to put St. Louis over the top. He had been AGM of Dallas' '99 Cup team.

That's where Benning comes in: like Armstrong, he was an AGM to a Cup winner, and like Armstrong, he has been biding his time, doing things "the right way" mostly - although adding Miller was a fairly bold move. But as others have mentioned, Horvat is 26. Demko is about to be 26. We're going to have to find out pretty damn soon what Benning is really made of.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Colorado is sure to be calling NJ about this... they have to move one of their good, young defencemen anyways.  Why not package one for 4th OA and pick another blue chip prospect.

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Wow :picard:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I'm assuming you mean NJ's 1st this year, 2022 1st, Severson and maybe a F prospect? Even then not sure we want to do this. We've never had a player like Quinn.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Thanks 1