The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

Do you think Crosby is the sole reason they bring home three cups in the last 12 years? As we are seeing with McDavid, success is earned by the team, not the player.

Yes is the answer and McDavid is no Crosby. Crosby made his team better and McDavid hasn't figured that out yet. The one thing I'll give McDavid is Pittsburg had a goalie and Edmonton doesn't

3 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Just watched Scouch's new video on Sillinger. Kinda turned me off to him honestly, though I was never super into him in the first place. The video gives me a lot of Virtanen vibes from his draft year.

Interestingly, both Johnson and Sillinger are somewhat labeled as trying to do too much themselves, but I have a lot more confidence in Johnson with our pick. He seems to use a lot more vision on ice than Sillinger.

I like sillinger. Lol. Big thing with scouch is he does an an isolated set of games. So you never see the overall body of work. Yeah, he does the overall general analysis good, but he he doesnt hit the overall body of work that great. But scouch can be good as a intro into some of these guys. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Isam said:

I like sillinger. Lol. Big thing with scouch is he does an an isolated set of games. So you never see the overall body of work. Yeah, he does the overall general analysis good, but he he doesnt hit the overall body of work that great. But scouch can be good as a intro into some of these guys. 

Definitely true. Tough to say if he just caught bad games or something. I will readily admit to having watched very little of Sillinger, and much more of Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

Definitely true. Tough to say if he just caught bad games or something. I will readily admit to having watched very little of Sillinger, and much more of Johnson.

Johnson. I do have my reservations. Dude has the skill, but damn, beniers was the playdriver. Kid has talent though if he doesnt force it.

20 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Wow. Tony Ferrari, the Managing Editor and Director of Scouting for DobberProspects, thinks that Wallstedt is the BPA in this draft:

1110338682_ScreenShot2021-06-30at5_14_23PM.png.83122a9474ada0500ff9b18a654b373a.png

I'd love to see Buffalo or Seattle draft the guy just for kicks (kick saves).

IF in Buff shoes, should you trade down a few slots & risk it? Say down to #6 or 7 slot, land perhaps a good prospect & 2nd rd pick, then pick Wall, or BPA that's left.

9 minutes ago, Isam said:

Johnson. I do have my reservations. Dude has the skill, but damn, beniers was the playdriver. Kid has talent though if he doesnt force it.

I have my reservations as well. Beniers definitely was the motor on the line, but from my viewings, Johnson did a really nice job in that department as well, as Beniers would get the puck in efficiently, but then once in, a lot of the play would go through Johnson.

I'm really hoping some top talent falls to us again, but 9 is just a little far I feel. I'm thinking Johnson will be the option available, hence my watching the most on him.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is my hope too.  Detroit taking Wallstadt, a second higher up take Geunther, and another team above us taking Johnson would be very nice.  Then for sure we get a guy like Eklund, Hughes, McTavish, or Clarke, because Power and Beniers are going one - two.  

image.jpeg.cf0fef0281b5e3c2343fd385e85d574d.jpeg

I'd be stoked !!! :canucks:

• Hydration 1
4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

IF in Buff shoes, should you trade down a few slots & risk it? Say down to #6 or 7 slot, land perhaps a good prospect & 2nd rd pick, then pick Wall, or BPA that's left.

I'm not sure BUF will pass on Power to select a goalie. I could see him being drafted early, and a few other surprises. I agree with the possibility of VAN landing a real good player at #9, because teams ahead value players differently. I've seen some different "rankings sites", and they're all completely different, except Power being #1.  One list has Edvinsson at #2, and then the other has him at #10. One list has Cossa ahead of Wallstedt. It's going to be a fun Draft to watch. 

If Wallstedt is there at #9, should the Canucks grab him?

• Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If Wallstedt is there at #9, should the Canucks grab him?

I'd strongly consider it, would have to say. Can't speculate too much though, as I haven't seen any of these kids.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'd strongly consider it, would have to say. Can't speculate too much though, as I haven't seen any of these kids.

If we had some center depth maybe but we literally have nothing lol

Some Interesting chatter going around today  : 

1. Detroit very high on McTavish. 

2. Columbus very high on Johnson

3. Buff haven't even talked to Power yet . . . (Doesn't really affect us - assume they are picking Beniers and trading Reinhart and/or Eichel ) 

Assuming no one else picks Wallstedt before us that would likely give the option of : 
Guenther who seems to be falling and is certainly not a position / player of need for us. Would certainly make things interesting from there. 

Do we take Wallstedt if Clark is high on him, even tho we have Demmer and Mikey D. Stick with Guenther who could well be BPA, despite questions marks,  or take a bigger punt on Sillinger, Lambos, Svechkov, Lysell or even Ratu who seems to be climbing the rankings again for some reason. Maybe due to the fact the number of actual projectable centers in the first round is verrrrrry low...

If McTavish and Johnson go before our pick that means the likelihood of us getting a top D man goes up.

Beniers 

Power 

Guenther

Hughes

Johnson

McTavish

Clarke

Eklund

Would leave us with Edvinsson. But LA or San Jose are wild cards. Could see Clarke fall or Wallstedt taken by San Jose.

• Vintage 1
18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Some Interesting chatter going around today  : 

1. Detroit very high on McTavish. 

2. Columbus very high on Johnson

3. Buff haven't even talked to Power yet . . . (Doesn't really affect us - assume they are picking Beniers and trading Reinhart and/or Eichel ) 

Assuming no one else picks Wallstedt before us that would likely give the option of : 
Guenther who seems to be falling and is certainly not a position / player of need for us. Would certainly make things interesting from there. 

Do we take Wallstedt if Clark is high on him, even tho we have Demmer and Mikey D. Stick with Guenther who could well be BPA, despite questions marks,  or take a bigger punt on Sillinger, Lambos, Svechkov, Lysell or even Ratu who seems to be climbing the rankings again for some reason. Maybe due to the fact the number of actual projectable centers in the first round is verrrrrry low...

Welcome Eddie... What's your source?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Welcome Eddie... What's your source?

Thanks my friend : 

The Owen Power story is here : 
https://www.nhl.com/news/projected-no-1-nhl-draft-pick-owen-power-buffalo-sabres/c-325532378

Rumor's on points 2. and 3. are just general chatter across the drafting forums, podcasts and other industry insiders in radio / online interviews.
Johnson and McTavish both also seem to be trending higher up a lot of the more recently published draft lists also. 

Here's a link to some Athletic quotables on the McT part : https://octopusthrower.com/2021/06/23/red-wings-draft-mason-mctavish/

Edited by Eddie
9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If McTavish and Johnson go before our pick that means the likelihood of us getting a top D man goes up.

Beniers 

Power 

Guenther

Hughes

Johnson

McTavish

Clarke

Eklund

Would leave us with Edvinsson. But LA or San Jose are wild cards. Could see Clarke fall or Wallstedt taken by San Jose.

Yes very true - tho being an internal pessimist the scenario I was describing which I feel is worst case ( tho we have been very lucky in the past few years ) is : 

Beniers 

Power 

Hughes

Johnson

McTavish

Clarke

Eklund

Edvinson 
????   (Guenther seemed to be consensus BPA - but lots of people souring more and more on him lately and doesn't really fit an organizational need - So an interesting, if not slightly depressing, scenario)  

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes very true - tho being an internal pessimist the scenario I was describing which I feel is worst case ( tho we have been very lucky in the past few years ) is : 

Beniers 

Power 

Hughes

Johnson

McTavish

Clarke

Eklund

Edvinson 
????   (Guenther seemed to be consensus BPA - but lots of people souring more and more on him lately and doesn't really fit an organizational need - So an interesting, if not slightly depressing, scenario)  

If Geunther is our guy then we will be getting a great young winger.  

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If Geunther is our guy then we will be getting a great young winger.  

Yeah I do like a lot of what the kid brings - Just interesting to see the hype on him really cooling since the unspectacular under 18's showing and he is starting to fall outside the top 10 in a lot of draft rankings lately. Admittedly those are mainly way less well respected list - but still, its a data point. 

This I think yields the interesting question - is the allure of some of the higher ceiling - lower floor players mentioned starting to look more appealing to us in this potential situation.