The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

2 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Who is your pick if we by some miracle we got the #1 pick. Do you go for one of the two favorites in Powers and Beniers? Maybe one of the Swedes Eklund and Edvinsson? The family connection of Luke Hughes? Or positional need and Cam Robinsons fave in Brandt Clarke? Or even slightly off board with a kid dominating the WHL averaging 2 pts/gm in Dylan Guenther?

So many choices and it's going to be an almost total carp shoot.

Yep... fish in a barrel

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Who is your pick if we by some miracle we got the #1 pick. Do you go for one of the two favorites in Powers and Beniers? Maybe one of the Swedes Eklund and Edvinsson? The family connection of Luke Hughes? Or positional need and Cam Robinsons fave in Brandt Clarke? Or even slightly off board with a kid dominating the WHL averaging 2 pts/gm in Dylan Guenther?

I really don’t know, such a weird year, so many kids have barely played.

5 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I think at 1rst overall it’d have to be Powers. That size and mobility is hard to pass up. However I really like this top 10 and would be happy with just about any of them.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think at 1rst overall it’d have to be Powers. That size and mobility is hard to pass up. However I really like this top 10 and would be happy with just about any of them.

This top 10 you could almost do no wrong. A lot of good talent no one really stands out.

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This top 10 you could almost do no wrong. A lot of good talent no one really stands out.

I'm not quite sure I'd agree. I see a lot of talent in the top ten, but also a lot of question marks. Guys like Guenther, Power and Beniers are almost locks to be at least solid NHL players, but if they're picked in the top 3-5, could easily be considered relative disappointments. Then on the other hand there's guys like Lysell, Lambos, Johnson, Edvinsson, Lucius, who have tremendous potential, but could end up faltering in their own ways.

It is interesting though, I see some similarities between this draft ad 2011. Everyone was saying what a weak class that was supposed to be, mainly because there was no clear cut superstar. But lots of really talented players with various question marks. Strangely enough, for the first few years after the draft, it was looking like the weak draft narrative was correct, but guys like Zibanejad, Huberdeau, Couturier, all took long, winding paths, but ended up being legitimate impact players. Even Strome seems to have finally broken out in the past couple years.

5 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'm not quite sure I'd agree. I see a lot of talent in the top ten, but also a lot of question marks. Guys like Guenther, Power and Beniers are almost locks to be at least solid NHL players, but if they're picked in the top 3-5, could easily be considered relative disappointments. Then on the other hand there's guys like Lysell, Lambos, Johnson, Edvinsson, Lucius, who have tremendous potential, but could end up faltering in their own ways.

It is interesting though, I see some similarities between this draft ad 2011. Everyone was saying what a weak class that was supposed to be, mainly because there was no clear cut superstar. But lots of really talented players with various question marks. Strangely enough, for the first few years after the draft, it was looking like the weak draft narrative was correct, but guys like Zibanejad, Huberdeau, Couturier, all took long, winding paths, but ended up being legitimate impact players. Even Strome seems to have finally broken out in the past couple years.

There’s definitely no run away prospect so it would kind of be a let down year for the team picking 1rst overall other than getting your guy of course. However great comp to the 2011 draft because I think it is very similar! You might not have what looks to be any superstars at the moment but every one of them have a chance to prove us wrong. There’s great skill in this top 10 so if the rest of our season is a dud I’m very excited at the possibility of picking in the top 10.

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

BOB MCKENZIE'S MID-SEASON DRAFT RANKING

https://www.tsn.ca/owen-power-the-unanimous-no-1-in-tsn-s-mid-season-draft-rankings-1.1626057

One player on here I’m not

familiar with is Mason Mctavish

Im focusing more on centers available where we pick 

anyone have any insight on Mctavish ? 

McKenzie's mid season top 10:

1) Power

2) Guenther

3) Edvinsson

4) Beniers

5) Hughes 

6) Clarke 

7) Eklund 

8) Johnson

9) Lucius

10) Wallstedt

McKenzie says that 10 out 10 scouts he surveyed had Power at 1st overall. 

With the Canucks likely picking in the 7-12 range, it seems like there may be hope that Clarke would be available. Outside of that it looks like a forward will likely end up being our BPA. 

19 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

1) Power

2) Guenther

3) Edvinsson

4) Beniers

5) Hughes 

6) Clarke 

7) Eklund 

8) Johnson

9) Lucius

10) Wallstedt

With the Canucks likely picking in the 7-12 range, it seems like there may be hope that Clarke would be available. Outside of that it looks like a forward will likely end up being our BPA. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks end up worse then that. This extra crammed schedule in an already compact year will be a leg killing nightmare. 18 games in the next 29 days is brutal. Canucks dont even have a single 2 day break

Sadly Canucks could end up bottom 5

Edited by RetroCanuck

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

BOB MCKENZIE'S MID-SEASON DRAFT RANKING

https://www.tsn.ca/owen-power-the-unanimous-no-1-in-tsn-s-mid-season-draft-rankings-1.1626057

One player on here I’m not

familiar with is Mason Mctavish

Im focusing more on centers available where we pick 

anyone have any insight on Mctavish ? 

Well his performance in the Swiss League will certainly have him moving up the rankings. It is a pretty good league - better than any of the junior leagues, and in the same range as the Czech, German or Finnish second division leagues - and his numbers there have been really impressive. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him drafted in the top ten, although I wouldn't rank him there myself. I would broadly compare him to guys like Lawson Crouse, Gabe Vilardi, Owen Tippett, Jake Virtanen when they were prospects. Not meant as a pejorative - the elder of those have turned out to be solid NHLers, and the youger might still develop into good players. But the point is they are thick, sturdy NHL bodies first and foremost, with some skills mixed in.

When I saw him at U17s, I wasn't particularly impressed. Which isn't to say I was unimpressed - I've had him ranked somewhere in the early 20s since my first list. He was already listed at 196 lbs then (he still is now on EP, but I'm guessing he's well over that now) and playing against 16 years olds he was easily able to physically impose his will. His best skill is his shot. Now playing in the Swiss League, compared to kids like Brennan Othmann and Francesco Pinelli who are having moderate success in men's leagues due to their skill in spite of being physically overwhelmed, McTavish is able to hold his own physically and so can more easily utilize his skills. I do think that like a Crouse or Virtanen, he's a safe bet to be a solid NHLer, but I would be fairly surprised if he turns out to be much of an impact offensive player.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

1) Power

2) Guenther

3) Edvinsson

4) Beniers

5) Hughes 

6) Clarke 

7) Eklund 

8) Johnson

9) Lucius

10) Wallstedt

For our range off that list Kent Johnson would be amazing! Reminds me a lot of Trevor Zegres in his draft year and gets player comps to Mitch Marner.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

1) Power

2) Guenther

3) Edvinsson

4) Beniers

5) Hughes 

6) Clarke 

7) Eklund 

8) Johnson

9) Lucius

10) Wallstedt

Boy, every time I look at a new list it is different

I would imagine with MacKenzie, it is a mix of I think it is 10 NHL scouts or something like that, so it is a pretty good indication of todays rankings, but man they are pretty mixed up in general. Another thing I have read, is that although not as high of a ceiling, there is a sense that it is a deeper draft at the top, with near 20 players in the mix.

I drool about them all............

Here is 2 of the newer rankings I have found.................

https://hockeyprospect.com/hockeyprospect-com-2021-nhl-draft-top-32-ranking-april/

https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftpro-spring-2021-nhl-draft-rankings/

Owen Power the unanimous No. 1 in TSN’s mid-season draft rankings - TSN.ca

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks end up worse then that. This extra crammed schedule in an already compact year will be a leg killing nightmare. 18 games in the next 29 days is brutal. Canucks dont even have a single 2 day break

Sadly Canucks could end up bottom 5

Bo says NO!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Bo says NO!

They looked fresh out there considering most of them were sick. Hard to imagine them playing that well down the stretch with that many games.

Heres hoping they don't flop to hard and they rotate in some of the younger fresher guys

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Boy, every time I look at a new list it is different

I would imagine with MacKenzie, it is a mix of I think it is 10 NHL scouts or something like that, so it is a pretty good indication of todays rankings, but man they are pretty mixed up in general. Another thing I have read, is that although not as high of a ceiling, there is a sense that it is a deeper draft at the top, with near 20 players in the mix.

I drool about them all............

Here is 2 of the newer rankings I have found.................

https://hockeyprospect.com/hockeyprospect-com-2021-nhl-draft-top-32-ranking-april/

https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftpro-spring-2021-nhl-draft-rankings/

so we were just talking about RHD - look at the difference in ranking with big RD Logan Malloux - one has him 15th, the other 43rd. Who's right?

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

For our range off that list Kent Johnson would be amazing! Reminds me a lot of Trevor Zegres in his draft year and gets player comps to Mitch Marner.

Johnson is someone I identified as a potential target too. The Canucks had Zegras high on their list in 2019 and barely missed out on him. Johnson would be a similar player who brings similar attributes in terms of high end skill and vision as a playmaking winger (most likely). I can't say I've seen enough of him to form an opinion on him but he makes sense as a target for this team along with Clarke.

I'm going to have to look at this draft, I didn't do that last year :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Johnson is someone I identified as a potential target too. The Canucks had Zegras high on their list in 2019 and barely missed out on him. Johnson would be a similar player who brings similar attributes in terms of high end skill and vision as a playmaking winger (most likely). I can't say I've seen enough of him to form an opinion on him but he makes sense as a target for this team along with Clarke.

I'm going to have to look at this draft, I didn't do that last year :lol:

With our top picks being traded in the JT Miller and Toffoli deals we didn’t have a lot to get excited about last draft. Having our picks and looking like we’ll be in the mix for a top 10 pick it’s definitely a more exciting draft for us fans to look into! I remember a couple years ago posting a ton of Pettersson videos and when we actually took him I was so happy!