The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm not sure McTavish is a stud center.  

I see a guy who is clever, makes plays. Understands where to be, effective & executes when he gets there. All the simple skills, a quick pass, excellent shot.  Works hard. Feisty, backchecks, competes.  All comendable. Very much so! Has size, also positive...

What I dont see is blazing speed, elite skills. A better athlete than others in his draft bracket. A guy who can handle the puck under pressure, zone entries, exits, dangles, sauce passes, creativity... I do see some projecting him as a top line player? 

My thought is without great speed, he would have to be the plugger who can score goals. Holds the cycle, he is big, creates physical mismatches. Crashes the net. At wing, who plays with other guys who have speed and skill.  

Am I underrating Mac?

Honest question... 

No, I think that's a really accurate evaluation of the player.  His foot speed would certainly see him drop in a strong draft.  Even in this draft i think the early ranking's had him more around the 15 mark.  A big reason for him rising and rising is, i think, down to the extreme lack of projectable centers in the draft.  Lots of teams draft top 10 needing one - especially a heavier, more physical player. He also interviews as a very smart level headed lad - so i think that will go a long way too.  

MacTavish is getting a bit too overhyped for sure - but he also looks safe to return some NHL value. 

He plays the game a bit differently but i do see a lot of projection comparisons to Bo in his draft year, which he managed to surpass thanks to making a great effort on his skating.  Not every player is capable of the improvements we saw there. 

I really like him for us as I think the RHD options that will be available are a few tiers lower.  The bust potential of some of the wingers likely available is higher and the team skill fit is lower. I could see MacT contributing 3/4th line minutes in a years time. I'm also sooooo sick of our 3rd line being an absolute black hole of everything, probably since Bo came into the league. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Podkolzin is already a great player.  He’s definitely playing top six minutes.  

I think Eklund falls to us.  I also think he’s ready to play next season.

Petey and Bess

Bo and Pearson

Miller and Pods

Then fill in the other winger on each line from:  Hogs, Eklund, and Motte.

Eklund is the dream. I doubt he falls to us though, since he's both so good and such a safe pick. 
Guenther could fall - and I'd love if we take him.

Don't really want Johnson, or a defenseman, as D men take so long to develop, and with Rathbone, Juolevi, and Woo coming up, there won't be much room. We badly need more scoring punch so we can roll 3 good lines. A big stay at home d-man can be filled through UFA. 

• Vintage 1

It will be expensive to get a top pairing Dman (UFA) to pair with Hughes for the next several years, and seeing as the Canucks will still get a pretty good player (centre) in the 2nd round (Bourgault, Samoskevich, etc)

Benning said he wants to add size and physicality to the D core. Maybe some possible D targets with the #9?

MacKenzie Weegar

Brett Pesce

Scott Mayfield

I'm not including any TB Dmen, because Sergachev and Cernak will be crazy expensive to acquire, and they're both RFAs in a couple of years. They will both command big money.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It will be expensive to get a top pairing Dman (UFA) to pair with Hughes for the next several years, and seeing as the Canucks will still get a pretty good player (centre) in the 2nd round (Bourgault, Samoskevich, etc)

Benning said he wants to add size and physicality to the D core. Maybe some possible D targets with the #9?

MacKenzie Weegar

Brett Pesce

Scott Mayfield

I'm not including any TB Dmen, because Sergachev and Cernak will be crazy expensive to acquire, and they're both RFAs in a couple of years. They will both command big money.

Mayfield is a great target - extremely cost controlled asset, and I don't think NYI can protect him. Will have to likely give up a 2nd for him though, or a 2nd + a bit more just because of the value of his contract. 
Would love to see us grab him & pick up Oleksiak from UFA pool, and let Hamonic walk. 

Lots of size and defensive responsibility there

Hughes-Oleksiak
Schmidt-Mayfield
Edler-Myers
*Rathbone, Juolevi

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

VAN won't get Power, and probably won't get Clarke or Hughes. That leaves Edvinsson as the D, so I'm leaning towards a forward 

Johnson has the flash and skill, but will it translate? And if so, how many years will it take? Seems like such a risky pick, boom or bust. He's also 165 lbs.

Horvat

Pettersson

Miller

Hoglander

Boeser

??

Who will best fill that spot to make them a winner?

I'm assuming Podkolzin will play on the 3rd line next season, get his feet wet, and maybe that's where he stays for a while. Pearson may join him there once this #9 prospect joins the team.

My hope it that they put Pettersson on Miller's wing moving forward.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Eklund/Guenther - Horvat - Hoglander

Podkolzin is already better than Hoglander.  Podkolzin will immediately start in the top 6.  I have him playing on BO's right side.  Hoglander may be the guy who gets put on a newly revamped scoring 3rd line...

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Buffalo's assistant director of scouting, Jason Nightingale was recently promoted from director of analytics...

Also, I'm keeping a close eye on Anders Forsberg. Bryan Murray was the GM in Detroit in the '90s, in the early days of the legend Hakan Andersson. When Murray took over as GM in Ottawa in 2007, Anders Forsberg was recommended to him by Andersson. and in the next four drafts they picked Erik Karlsson (traded up to ensure they got him on Forsberg's insistence), Jakob Silfverberg, Robin Lehner and Mika Zibanejad.

Forsberg then returned to Sweden for a couple years to pursue coaching and management, until Ottawa's AGM Tim Murray got the head GM job in Buffalo and brought in Forsberg. They picked Alex Nylander 8th overall, in part on Forsberg's recommendation. Nylander struggled with injuries from the get-go and never developed the way they planned. Forsberg was let go and returned to Sweden, and Nylander was eventually traded. Then Nylander had his first full NHL season with Chicago and showed he actually could be a very effective NHL player, and may have panned out if not for the injuries. Whoops! Forsberg was re-hired by Buffalo last summer.

I've just been completely in awe of this guy since the Karlsson pick, and I suspect Tim Murray felt the same way when he brought him over to Buffalo the first time. I dunno, is his reputation as looming as I believe it is? Can he be the deciding factor to bring Eklund to Buffalo over Power?

My buddy would owe me so much beer. I have been preaching the gospel of Eklund for awhile. My gut tells me Eklund will be the best player taken in the top of this draft. Some reports have him slipping to the 5-6 range, but I'm completely convinced he goes in the top 3 picks.

Sentiment on CDC has changed a lot in 5 or 8 years.  

Belief you could draft a Norris capable big RHD in the 3rd or 4th round was rampant. Life would end if we did not draft a CHL high talent winger in the 1st round...

Now guys may be livid if we have to ''settle'' for Dylan Guenther. Hell, some would bypass Eklund for MacTavish?  We have to trade up for 
Clarke!

Times have indeed changed!

Edited by Canuck Surfer

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Sentiment on CDC has changed a lot in 5 or 8 years.  

Belief you could draft a Norris capable big RHD in the 3rd or 4th round was rampant. Life would end if we did not draft a CHL high talent winger in the 1st round...

Now guys may be livid if we have to ''settle'' for Dylan Guenther. Hell, some would bypass Eklund for MacTavish?  We have to trade up for 
Clarke!

Times have indeed changed!

I see the four guys you mentioned ranking like this.  The first three are top six picks.  Then Gunther is way down the list for me. I’d say 15 or so.  

3- Clarke

4-Eklund

5-McTavish

15-Geunther

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Podkolzin is already better than Hoglander.  Podkolzin will immediately start in the top 6.  I have him playing on BO's right side.  Hoglander may be the guy who gets put on a newly revamped scoring 3rd line...

Is he though? I understand Podz did well last season in the KHL, but so did Hogz, in the NHL. I guess this is a wait and see, hopefully he blows everyone away with how good he is. If he's better than Pearson, then I hope they put Tanner on the 3rd line. 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

I see the four guys you mentioned ranking like this.  The first three are top six picks.  Then Gunther is way down the list for me. I’d say 15 or so.  

3- Clarke

4-Eklund

5-McTavish

15-Geunther

I have Powers, Eklund, Clarke 1, 2, 3. Not sure between Beniers & Guenther 4th. I expect Beniers, a pivot and a hard working, hard playing one at that to go next.

But on talent Guenther is there. 

• Vintage 1