The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Apparently (Hockey Guy? D & D?  - can't remember) says Buffalo hasn't yet interviewed Powers or  Beniers but have had Eklund in twice

Probably doesn’t mean much.

Its a forgone conclusion they’re gonna take one of those two. Likely just doing their due diligence on their third ranked player.

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

BUF - Power

SEA - Beniers

ANA - Wallstedt

NJ - Clarke

CBJ - McTavish

DET - Eklund

SJ - Edvinsson

LA - Johnson

VAN - Hughes

With the Sedins joining the organization (again), why not have the Hughes Bros. too?

Well, maybe it’s just me but I don’t believe that the Hughes boys have the same character as the Sedins. In fact they strike me as being a little bit entitled. Having two of them on the same team may not be the ideal scenario. This is just a feeling that I have and is not based on anything other how I read their body language. I hope I’m wrong.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Mad Jon said:

Well, maybe it’s just me but I don’t believe that the Hughes boys have the same character as the Sedins. In fact they strike me as being a little bit entitled. Having two of them on the same team may not be the ideal scenario. This is just a feeling that I have and is not based on anything other how I read their body language. I hope I’m wrong.

If Luke is there at nine Benning will run (okay waddle) to the stage to pick him.  Quinn and Luke are both great young players.  Love to have them both.  After watch Caufield get exposed for his poor skating and tiny size by TBay, I think I’m off if Eklund.  

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, Mad Jon said:

I tend to agree but I see it a little differently. 
I don’t think you can compare the Sedin brothers with the Hughes brothers because the Sedins are identical twins. 
They are basically the same person in two separate bodies. 
I don’t really think Quinn, Jack or Luke seem entitled either.

But they are three separate personalities, and in my opinion should be on 3 separate teams. 
I would stare clear of drafting Luke Hughes unless he is the best player available. 

2 minutes ago, Krinjer33 said:

I don’t think you can compare the Sedin brothers with the Hughes brothers because the Sedins are identical twins. 

But they are three separate personalities, and in my opinion should be on 3 separate teams. 
I would stare clear of drafting Luke Hughes unless he is the best player available. 

If Luke is there at nine he’s by far the BPA.  He’s be week away from being in the 2022 draft.  He’s only 17.  What’s he going to be as a player next year at this time?  That year, for these young guys, is huge in their development.  

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Krinjer33 said:

Entitled was probably an inappropriate word. I just worry about two brothers wielding two much power within the room. The Sedins were special.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Luke is there at nine he’s by far the BPA.  He’s be week away from being in the 2022 draft.  He’s only 17.  What’s he going to be as a player next year at this time?  That year, for these young guys, is huge in their development.  

At no time was I questioning his ability.

Just now, Mad Jon said:

At no time was I questioning his ability.

With a top ten pick always take the BPA.  Can always trade the asset at a later date.  But we want to start with the asset that has the most value.  

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Apparently (Hockey Guy? D & D?  - can't remember) says Buffalo hasn't yet interviewed Powers or  Beniers but have had Eklund in twice

Probably doing their due diligence on which player they would take with there possible 2nd top 10 pick. With all the rumours of Eichel and Reinhart being traded and Buffalo hoping to have one if not both done prior to draft. Come to think of it maybe they are close to finalizing a deal. Would be fun if it's Eichel to Anaheim with the 3oa as part of the package. 1oa Powers, 3oa Eklund

15 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Probably doing their due diligence on which player they would take with there possible 2nd top 10 pick. With all the rumours of Eichel and Reinhart being traded and Buffalo hoping to have one if not both done prior to draft. Come to think of it maybe they are close to finalizing a deal. Would be fun if it's Eichel to Anaheim with the 3oa as part of the package. 1oa Powers, 3oa Eklund

Would love to see Anaheim trade the 3rd and Zegras.

Would be such a bad move for them.

• Haha 1

With all the talk about 1st round pick what about the 2nd and 3rd round picks or what I'm really excited about are the two 5th round picks ::DCanucks seem to have good luck drafting players in the 5th round. 

Could one of Svechkov, Rosen or Olausson drop to 41? Doubt it but never know there usually is a player or 2 that everyone thinks will be a first pick that drop to the 2nd round. I think Zach Dean will be there he'd be a great C pick up. Scott Morrow? Don't know much about him. Maybe add another Schmidt to the D? Big C like Helenius or Why not on D Whynot? :blink: I think that could get confusing so maybe not. In a selfish world for me it be 9oa Clarke, 41oa Dean, 73oa Heimosalmi/Stromgren. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would love to see Anaheim trade the 3rd and Zegras.

Would be such a bad move for them.

I'd love that lol, it be so much better for us Canucks fans. I'd hate having to see us face Zegras and Eklund every year 5 times then playoffs. To much work 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Probably doesn’t mean much.

Its a forgone conclusion they’re gonna take one of those two. Likely just doing their due diligence on their third ranked player.

I get why you would assume Power is their top ranked guy, but why Beniers 2nd? Just personal opinion? Or are you going off internet/media scouts? Cusmost credible rankings, McKenzie, Button and NHLCS have Beniers ranked 4th, 5th and 6th (N.A.) respectively.

Say what you will about Button, I'm not a big fan personally, but he was an actual GM and scouting director in the NHL.

Also worth noting that Buffalo's recently promoted assistant director of amateur scouting was promoted to that position from director of analytics. And guess who is the darling of the analytics community in this year's draft? William Eklund.

Edit: I have a feeling this will end up turning into a whole thing about Button. I should have said the two most credible sources, plus another pretty credible source.

Edited by HighOnHockey
34 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I get why you would assume Power is their top ranked guy, but why Beniers 2nd? Just personal opinion? Or are you going off internet/media scouts? Cusmost credible rankings, McKenzie, Button and NHLCS have Beniers ranked 4th, 5th and 6th (N.A.) respectively.

Say what you will about Button, I'm not a big fan personally, but he was an actual GM and scouting director in the NHL.

Also worth noting that Buffalo's recently promoted assistant director of amateur scouting was promoted to that position from director of analytics. And guess who is the darling of the analytics community in this year's draft? William Eklund.

Edit: I have a feeling this will end up turning into a whole thing about Button. I should have said the two most credible sources, plus another pretty credible source.

What do you think the odds are that Eklund goes 1st overall?

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

What do you think the odds are that Eklund goes 1st overall?

Well, I said for some time before the lottery that if a team with a heavy European scouting presence (particularly CBJ or DET) won the lottery, there would be a pretty good chance of Eklund going first. Buffalo is much less likely (I'd give it less than 25%), but I'm curious what the analytics say about Power, because as the number two guy, if Nightingale has reservations, they would have to at least seriously consider other options. And yes, in my opinion if the unlikely happened and Power were to slip, Eklund would be the most realistic option to go first overall. If he hadn't missed U18s and U20s I believe he would be the consensus number two by now.

• Hydration 1

What if the best player available is a goal tender?

The two big goal tenders at the top of the list are considered number one caliber.

If I was the Kraken I would draft the Swedish kid at number two. The best way to start building a team is in the net.

• Hydration 1
31 minutes ago, appleboy said:

What if the best player available is a goal tender?

The two big goal tenders at the top of the list are considered number one caliber.

If I was the Kraken I would draft the Swedish kid at number two. The best way to start building a team is in the net.

It’s a possibility, if they select a stud goalie it means at the entry draft they could pick one to hold the fort until the youth comes in.

From what I have seen about Seattle and the staff they have put together I have a feeling they will be picking youth from team or if there is no decent youth looking at other teams needs and making some deals to draft from one team to flip to another for some more youth assets, 

having an okay team now and then a youth wave coming through with a stud goalie may give them a very long window to operate in,

14 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread already, but could potentially increase the likelihood of Wallstedt going to Detroit if available still.

Do they have anything that we want? We have Dipietro and Silvos

Posted (edited)

There is two goal tenders that could go high. 

You can't win anything without goal tending. 

Look how far Price took the Habs and bubble Demko made our squad look ten times better than they were.

I wouldn't blame Jim for taking one at ninth .

You can trade an elite goal tender.

Edited by appleboy
  • Hydration 1