The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

3 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah i cant wait to see what we do this month. Just want petey and wuinn signed asap so we know where we stand cap wise.

Pretty sure management has a pretty close estimate of where we stand. 

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Dont care if management knows. I wanna know.

Just by chance, Whitney had even penned a ditty bout it:

How will I know, if we're signing EP?

Jimbo works slow, & he's not sly - Can't SPEAK!

I'll ask VC, cos he knows about, these things

This league's a gong, & Bettman's a geek!

How will I know?!(repeat ad nauseum...)

• Haha 1

16 days until ED and then straight into the draft.

This will be a very busy period for all the nhl clubs.

As soon as the playoffs are over the deals will begin.

Edited by appleboy

5 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

I've been digging into Johnson a bit more this morning. I'm sure some of you may be sick of hearing my thoughts on him, but I like to reaffirm my own feelings on prospects over and over. Each time I come away a bit more impressed with Johnson.

Two of the biggest concerns on Johnson are primary points and size. I've watched this highlight video about 5 times now over the past month, paying close attention to what Johnson is doing. Of course, it's just a highlight video, so it's easy to only see the good, but here is what I come away with in regards to those two concerns.

There are multiple "secondary assists" that I personally feel could almost be considered primary. Specifically, the assists at 1:15, 3:08, 3:30, 3:43, and 3:55. All of these plays don't happen without Johnson making a quick decision under pressure, or even under direct contact from a defender. Not only does he come up with a solution to keep the play alive, but he manages to find an open player that leads to a direct scoring chance. This type of IQ is hard to find, and these goals likely don't happen at all without that secondary assist. Two of these plays were also interceptions/takeaways from the defending team trying to breakout of their zone. This shows the high level anticipation he has in reading plays and thinking ahead.

What this also helps to address for me is some of the questions about his size. He is constantly fighting off defenders, working along the boards, and also isn't afraid of taking contact to make a play. Yes he is slight, but for his size, his puck protection skills are quite impressive. Some of these plays you see him under pressure from two defenders at once, and he still gets the job done. Add some extra weight to him over the next couple years, and he could be even better. This really reminds me of Aho, who plays at 6' 176lbs right now, but is very good in the corners and on the boards.

It's not all rosy for Johnson of course. There is definite work needed in simplify certain aspects of his game. He has a tendency to hang onto the puck at times looking for the perfect play when an open teammate is close by, and the simple play to maintain possession is the better play to make. I also don't love his skating, specifically his stop-start acceleration, as he doesn't have the quickest feet. And as good as his hands are, I've noticed that he sometimes struggles to keep his feet moving when handling the puck, a skill that the truly elite puck handlers (Mackinnon, McDavid, Barzal etc) all do extremely well, and is what makes them so dangerous. If his skill can't be used at a high pace of play, it will be nullified against bigger and faster competition.

For me, the upside outweighs the down with Johnson. I think he has legitimate first line upside with the way he thinks the game, and many of his skills will translate to the next levels. With some disciplined coaching and maturity, added strength, and improved skating, the best is yet to come for him.

I was looking over more Johnson highlights... Don't think he would be the best choice for type of center for the nucks, but an incredible winger on Bo's line in 2-3 years?  I feel he's the most skilled player available @#9 maybe bpa but is he what nucks should take?   To me, if Mctavish is available he seems like the best fit for nucks going forward.... Thinking Blake Coleman type.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I was looking over more Johnson highlights... Don't think he would be the best choice for type of center for the nucks, but an incredible winger on Bo's line in 2-3 years?  I feel he's the most skilled player available @#9 maybe bpa but is he what nucks should take?   To me, if Mctavish is available he seems like the best fit for nucks going forward.... Thinking Blake Coleman type.

Ya not sure on how realistic it is to see Johnson at center going forward, but we don't have much in the pipeline on LW either. I just think it was brutally clear how bad our offense suffered with Petey out. We played strictly skate and shoot hockey, which led to the 24th ranked offense in the NHL. Having an alternative to that is very important.

I like McTavish as well, and I definitely like the Coleman example as I love Coleman's game, and see McTavish having a similar impact. But Coleman has never even paced for 50 points in a season, which isn't terrible for a 9th overall, but its no slam dunk either. I've said it before, I think we are a bit further away being competitive than others, so I personally am more willing to go risk/reward with our pick this year. Would he be valuable to us? Of course. But I feel like he would potentially become pigeonholed behind Petey, Horvat, or Miller as current center options. I don't think you can have too many centers of course, but who do you move over? If it's McTavish you put on the wing, you might as well just take Johnson then.

I also have reservations/concerns in picking bigger junior players, but that would make this a much longer post lol. I'll leave it here for now.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

Ya not sure on how realistic it is to see Johnson at center going forward, but we don't have much in the pipeline on LW either. I just think it was brutally clear how bad our offense suffered with Petey out. We played strictly skate and shoot hockey, which led to the 24th ranked offense in the NHL. Having an alternative to that is very important.

I like McTavish as well, and I definitely like the Coleman example as I love Coleman's game, and see McTavish having a similar impact. But Coleman has never even paced for 50 points in a season, which isn't terrible for a 9th overall, but its no slam dunk either. I've said it before, I think we are a bit further away being competitive than others, so I personally am more willing to go risk/reward with our pick this year. Would he be valuable to us? Of course. But I feel like he would potentially become pigeonholed behind Petey, Horvat, or Miller as current center options. I don't think you can have too many centers of course, but who do you move over? If it's McTavish you put on the wing, you might as well just take Johnson then.

I also have reservations/concerns in picking bigger junior players, but that would make this a much longer post lol. I'll leave it here for now.

Some good points in your post thanks.  I would expect Mctavish to anchor our bottom 6 for years to come.  He could be our primary 3rd line center, move up to 2nd line in a pinch or play top 6 on wing.  Lots of options with him.  He could play 2nd pp, bumper, net front or right dot.  However, as you mentioned unless he plays primarily as a center, there are better, more skilled options on wing.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Another angle to look at:

Benning in an interview mentioned that the limited viewings due to covid this season won’t drastically affect his pick because they’ve been scouting these kids since they were 15

This previous seasons stats might not play as big a factor into there selection 

Most likely have been targeting some really good players for awhile that will be available 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

I’ve made my affection for Johnson quite apparent.  Unfortunately I think the draft will unravel to give us a choice of Edvinsson or Wallstedt.  Possibly Guenther as well.  I think we should trade down with Chicago or Ottawa who maybe covet an elite goalie.  I’m a big fan of Corson Ceulemans.  He was better and more trusted by his coaches than Clarke at the U18s.  I’d pick him at 10 or 12 plus picking up a second for moving down 1 or 3 spots.  I doubt Calgary would take him as they need forward help but it’s risky.  I wouldn’t be opposed to taking Wallstedt at 9 as well because he is the best player at 9 on my board.  Obviously I’m not a huge fan of Edvinsson as I covet hockey IQ and drive.

• Like 1

Trying to get a better handle on Clarke's defensive play. Head-to-head situations give a better idea of how the player will fair against other elite players, the kind he's likely to be up against in the NHL someday, and especially if he's at the top of the lineup drawing top matchups

So I looked at him in the gold medal game vs. Russia's top line. Note this is a powerhouse line. Svechkov is a likely top 15 pick for this year, Miroshnichenko (hereafter Miro) is very probably a top 5 pick for 2022, and Yurov is possible top 5, certainly top 15 for 2022.

Opening shift he has a poke on Miro and then plays Yurov well down low.

Eliminates Miro on the boards, but Miro still chips it over to continue the zone entry.

Again he fails to eliminate the rush against Miro. Two on three he maybe could have stepped up sooner, but I guess you have to respect Miro's speed and power to beat you along the wall? Shortly after he has a stick lift on Miro in front and then a poke on Svechkov.

A bump on Svechkov knocks the puck loose and then a poke on Yurov for the exit.

This one is the most troublesome. Starts with the poke on Miro. But then Svechkov do what he do, draws the defenseman in and finds the lane.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

I'd say that's a pretty good evaluation of both players.  I've been a bit down on Guenther simply because I think he is probably the lowest fit for our current group. I do think he could be a real good player tho. On the other hand I think Johnson would fit very well into our top 6 which is lower on high level play making, specially when Petey is out,  but its pretty high on speed and quality of shot.

I’m curious about Johnson and if he can be a Center in the NHL. If he’s on a line with Beniers he’s obviously getting pushed to the wing because Beniers is so good in all aspects. But without Beniers I wonder how he’d look even in the NCAA as a Center on his line.

7 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Another angle to look at:

Benning in an interview mentioned that the limited viewings due to covid this season won’t drastically affect his pick because they’ve been scouting these kids since they were 15

This previous seasons stats might not play as big a factor into there selection 

Most likely have been targeting some really good players for awhile that will be available 

So maybe he still has Raty in his top 5?

The more you look at this year's players you see that about ten stand out. Jim said that they really like 9 players.

We will get a really good player at nineth. 

Not something you want to trade away.

7 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’m curious about Johnson and if he can be a Center in the NHL. If he’s on a line with Beniers he’s obviously getting pushed to the wing because Beniers is so good in all aspects. But without Beniers I wonder how he’d look even in the NCAA as a Center on his line.

The more video that I see of this kid the less I worry about selecting him. He was a player that I had concerns about.

This kid is talented.  Very talented. 

• Like 1