The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

43 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Quite like that write up on Svechkov... A friend for Podz... A defensive centre, with the possibility of more with better players...

A worst possibly a future Malhotra... what's not to like?

A Malhotra would be nice. But I don't think we should be using our 9OA on a player like that. 

If we traded down, and he's available, sure...

I've been watching Lysell highlights and I'm liking what I'm seeing. The guy definitely has speed and good hands, smart, makes nice passes, great snipes, good defensively. 

Lysell isn't a big guy, at only 5'10" (so far), but he's thicker (172) than Pettersson was at his age (160). He may end up proving to be difficult to knock off the puck, his speed will allow him to get out of jams. I'm thinking Lysell and Pettersson could have great chemistry, lots of speed and skill. He's similar to Hoglander, but could be better?

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Similar to Broberg as he has really good tools and size, Edvinsson is much better defensively than Broberg and he was able to make a big difference on the defensive side of the game at the U18. Just not sure of his offensive upside and makes me a little cautious of using a top 10 pick on him. Some scouts are very high on him though and he is a safe bet to be an NHL defender. If our Euro scouts give you the green light and he is there at 9, zero problem taking him.   

I think if Edvinsson is available at 9, while Geunther, McTavish, Johnson are also available, I think we need to probably go and pick Geunther. 

I'm torn about those three forwards. They are all very different players. McTavish seems like the kind of player we need on our third line, but if there's a player with a higher offensive ceiling in Geunther, should we not pick him? Johnson would be nice, but not sure if his skills in college would translate into the NHL. Boom or Bust kind of pick, can we take that risk moving forward with him? 

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

A Malhotra would be nice. But I don't think we should be using our 9OA on a player like that. 

If we traded down, and he's available, sure...

Manny was a top ten pick, wasn’t he?  

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've been watching Lysell highlights and I'm liking what I'm seeing. The guy definitely has speed and good hands, smart, makes nice passes, great snipes, good defensively. 

Lysell isn't a big guy, at only 5'10" (so far), but he's thicker (172) than Pettersson was at his age (160). He may end up proving to be difficult to knock off the puck, his speed will allow him to get out of jams. I'm thinking Lysell and Pettersson could have great chemistry, lots of speed and skill. He's similar to Hoglander, but could be better?

I read (can’t remember where) Lysell compared to Mitch Marner.  Good offensive instincts while being strong away from the puck.  

• Thanks 1

It's not about a player's nationality; it's about their playing style. The Canucks desperately need more high-motor, relentless competitors who play with jam and grit. Whether they're Canadian, Russian, Swedish or, hell, even Lybian... it doesn't matter. 

Edited by nowhereman
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

It's not about a player's nationality; it's about their playing style. The Canucks desperately need more high-motor, relentless competitors who play with jam and grit. Whether they're Canadian, Russian, Swedish or, hell, even Lybian... it doesn't matter. 

Read that as “even lesbian” and thought where are we going with this. Time to find my glasses.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I read (can’t remember where) Lysell compared to Mitch Marner.  Good offensive instincts while being strong away from the puck.  

Yes, I read that as well, but watching some video, I can see the same speed and skill, but at the same draft age:

Marner - 5'10"  164

Lysell - 5'10"  172

Marner is now 6'  175,  I can see Lysell getting to 6' 180+. I think he can handle the physicality, like Hoglander.

• Vintage 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, I read that as well, but watching some video, I can see the same speed and skill, but at the same draft age:

Marner - 5'10"  164

Lysell - 5'10"  172

Marner is now 6'  175,  I can see Lysell getting to 6' 180+. I think he can handle the physicality, like Hoglander.

Lysell could be a steal if he drops to us. I think he will drop too.  He’s likely ready to play here too.  

24 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think if Edvinsson is available at 9, while Geunther, McTavish, Johnson are also available, I think we need to probably go and pick Geunther. 

I'm torn about those three forwards. They are all very different players. McTavish seems like the kind of player we need on our third line, but if there's a player with a higher offensive ceiling in Geunther, should we not pick him? Johnson would be nice, but not sure if his skills in college would translate into the NHL. Boom or Bust kind of pick, can we take that risk moving forward with him? 

Im kinda the opposite with those three if I had to order them Id go, Johnson, McTavish, then Guenther. I dont really see Johnson as a boom or bust player. He has elite skill and IQ, producing at the level he did as a freshman in the NCAA, I dont see any reason that it wouldn't translate to the NHL unless his development stalls. Guys like Makar, Fox, Hughes, Zegras, Farabee, B Tkachuk, Norris, Caulfield, ect have all transitioned quite nicely. Guenther is a great sniper but I think we need a playmaker or power forward center more.     

Just now, N4ZZY said:

That's too much. 

If Anaheim does that deal, they're idiots. 

This is for Eichel? 

Hell no. A guy who has health issues, and they want a young and upcoming player in Zegras and the third? 

Find another &^@#ing dance partner.

Knowing Buffalo, Zegras' career probably goes down the toilet.