The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Just now, Devron44 said:

That’s true and a tough call. Chances of both of them there is slim. Whoever falls, we draft. Whether that’s Hughes, Edvinsson, Guenther. But if I have to make that call personally I’d still go with Hughes I think 

I mean, next year's draft is supposed to be strong with many strong RHD, and I can't really see us being a playoff contender next year. Might "content", but I think we'll still fall short. Hoping for another top ten pick. If it were me, I think I'd draft Geunther, allow him to simmer in the minors and play lots of hockey, and bring him up slowly (don't make the same mistake as Virtanen, pls by rushing him). Next season, draft a RHD (if it's BPA). 

This draft - we need to draft BPA, if that's Hughes, then take him. If that's Geunther, then we need to take him. After that, focus on RHD in the other rounds. 

Benning supposed to be really good at amateur scouting right? This should be his bread and butter. Time to live up to that reputation, or it becomes a misnomer. 

• Cheers 1

I feel that Power, Edvinsson and Hughes are all sort of the same type of Dman. Size, defensive, great skating - and then there's Clarke. I think, like Quinn Hughes in his draft year, Clarke is in a class of his own in this draft. The nearest comparable might be Lambos, as far as mobile Dmen. 

As enticing as it would be to get Clarke, VAN already has Hughes and Rathbone.  Besides, he'll go before #9. Who knows, maybe BUF takes him to compliment Dahlin  :bigblush:

Benning said there are 9 players they really like, regardless of position. Smoke and mirrors? Are they really targeting a C?

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Okay, new prediction lol

BUF - Eklund

SEA - Beniers

ANA - Power

NJ - Clarke

CBJ - Wallstedt

DET - Cossa (DET was targeting Wallstedt, and Cossa might be just as good)

SJ - McTavish

LA - Johnson

VAN - Hughes  (the Hughes brothers in the same D core, could be some healthy competition between the siblings, which would elevate both their games)

And an unprecedented 2 goaltenders taken in the Top 10

Nice Nucker67. Keep this up and you will have this top 9 nailed one way or the other by the draft. :towel:

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I feel that Power, Edvinsson and Hughes are all sort of the same type of Dman. Size, defensive, great skating - and then there's Clarke. I think, like Quinn Hughes in his draft year, Clarke is in a class of his own in this draft. The nearest comparable might be Lambos, as far as mobile Dmen. 

As enticing as it would be to get Clarke, VAN already has Hughes and Rathbone.  Besides, he'll go before #9. Who knows, maybe BUF takes him to compliment Dahlin  :bigblush:

Benning said there are 9 players they really like, regardless of position. Smoke and mirrors? Are they really targeting a C?

Only thing with Clarke is that he's the only RHD in the top 10. 

Which makes him a rare commodity. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If Cossa is in the top ten, then it's very possible that we could get a dman. 

Hughes possibly, since I can't see Clarke or Powers dropping to 9th. 

If Hughes and Edvinsson are available at 9. Who do you go with? 

Call me crazy but I think I like Hughes more.

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Because of the brothers connection or because he's the better player? 

I think he may be better than Quinn the more video I watch. He skates beautifully for a big guy and makes such smart decisions. He doesn't cut like Quinn but man he can own the ice with his size, vision, and effortless skating.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I think he may be better than Quinn the more video I watch. He skates beautifully for a big guy and makes such smart decisions. He doesn't cut like Quinn but man he can own the ice with his size, vision, and effortless skating.

How does he defend? 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very little chance this guy falls to us, but I’d be so ecstatic if he did.  If he improves his skating he’s going to be a really good player.  

two teams would have to fall in love with Lysell and Wallsted for us to have a shot at Clarke. 

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

How does he defend? 

He needs a little work in that he gets out of position but he's aggressive and uses his size in the D zone. He also kills penalties, plus he's probably going to end up being a fairly big kid who will be able to skate like the wind and think like a Hughes.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

If two goal tenders slide into the top 8 we will get a choice between 3 or 4 real quality players.

I don't know why buy my gut says Buffalo takes what they think is the best goal tender.

I think they take Wallsted.

You don't go anywhere without a star in your net. This kid has star written all over him. Even though players like Powers are good looking prospects none of the top guys this year are franchise types. Wallsted could be a game changer for who ever gets him. If he is there at 9th I will bet you Jim has a heart attack as he scrambles to the podium. 

The top two goalies could both be franchise type players.

People in the know think Wallsted is a year or two away from the NHL.

Edited by appleboy
  • Vintage 1