The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

me too. Nice to meet another one on here :P

if we're out of the top 5 and he's somehow not picked I'd really like to see him drafted. I think Seattle takes him if they drop out of the top 3 tho. 

Goalie gang represent!
Oof that's a tough one though... 

I started watching this team as a wee lad during the 98-99 season... can you say "goalie graveyard"?

It took so many years to see a genuine all-star netminder tend our crease, and the Luongo trade blew my mind. We often took those years for granted, but how nice was it to have a franchise goalie?

From there:

Schneider - absolute stud, a treat to watch during his tenure here 

Miller - very serviceable veteran, much respect

Markstrom - team MVP

and finally we have Demko, who seems to represent everything a fan of the goaltending position could want. I love watching him play.

Looking ahead to 2024-25 or thereabouts, having Wallstedt in our colours is just intoxicating to think about.

It would be like rewinding the clock on Markstrom, and having that for a decade plus...

Like I said, arguably my favourite goalie prospect ever. I would buy his jersey, without hesitation.

But Demko honestly feels like the realization of what we've been chasing for my entire hockey fandom - a young star goaltender we developed and groomed into a starter, now locked up for years, just flirting with the start to the prime of his career.

Drafting Wallstedt that high means our goalie pipeline is stocked, and we have a 29-30 year old Demko mentoring him to ease him into the role... sounds good.

But is it not more sensible to take advantage of the solid, consistent goaltending we're already getting and adding dynamic pieces to the forward group or D corps?

A Brandt Clarke can play defense in front of Demmer in 2 years at most, Wallstedt would be his back up at the midway point of the decade.

I guess it really does depend where we pick. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, nergish said:

Goalie gang represent!

I started watching this team as a wee lad during the 98-99 season... can you say "goalie graveyard"?

It took so many years to see a genuine all-star netminder tend our crease, and the Luongo trade blew my mind. We often took those years for granted, but how nice was it to have a franchise goalie?

From there:

Markstrom - team MVP

and finally we have Demko, who seems to represent everything a fan of the goaltending position could want. I love watching him play.

Looking ahead to 2024-25 or thereabouts, having Wallstedt in our colours is just intoxicating to think about.

It would be like rewinding the clock on Markstrom, and having that for a decade plus...

Like I said, arguably my favourite goalie prospect ever. I would buy his jersey, without hesitation.

But Demko honestly feels like the realization of what we've been chasing for my entire hockey fandom - a young star goaltender we developed and groomed into a starter, now locked up for years, just flirting with the start to the prime of his career.

Drafting Wallstedt that high means our goalie pipeline is stocked, and we have a 29-30 year old Demko mentoring him to ease him into the role... sounds good.

But is it not more sensible to take advantage of the solid, consistent goaltending we're already getting and adding dynamic pieces to the forward group or D corps?

A Brandt Clarke can play defense in front of Demmer in 2 years at most, Wallstedt would be his back up at the midway point of the decade.

to me the timing would be ideal, we could develop Wallstedt properly and if he's a bit accelerated holy cow what a tandem to have. It gives us a potential decade of solid goaltending.

But I do hear you on needing that RHD upgrade. I just don't believe Clarke is going to be available to us at the 9 to 11 or 12 range where we likely end up (baring a last minute miracle run). 

After a safer pick in Podz last year, I am hoping for a swing for the fences "Petey" style pick again this year, with a preference towards skill. With the lack of info on players, it's as good a time as any to swing. For the 5-10 range, I'd love to see Clarke, Johnson, or Eklund.

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

After a safer pick in Podz last year, I am hoping for a swing for the fences "Petey" style pick again this year, with a preference towards skill. With the lack of info on players, it's as good a time as any to swing. For the 5-10 range, I'd love to see Clarke, Johnson, or Eklund.

We didn’t have a 1st rounder last draft :lol: Podz was 2019 1st rounder. I do agree that we could use another Petey like player who has high end skill and can be playmaker as well as the ability to put the puck in the back of the net. I won’t mind shoring up our D depth as well with another stud if we don’t manage to re-sign Edler, Hamonic or lose a D to Seattle in the ED. 

29 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

We didn’t have a 1st rounder last draft :lol: Podz was 2019 1st rounder. I do agree that we could use another Petey like player who has high end skill and can be playmaker as well as the ability to put the puck in the back of the net. I won’t mind shoring up our D depth as well with another stud if we don’t manage to re-sign Edler, Hamonic or lose a D to Seattle in the ED. 

Right, my mistake there! We gave up the 1st last year.

As it stands, IMO, our biggest need is D, and more in the top pair two way sense, as Hughes should have the offensive minutes locked up for a while, and Clarke sounds like an ideal candidate. Power would obviously do the trick too, but I'm figuring he will be gone by our pick. After watching Romanov the past few years at the WJC/KHL and now NHL, I love the two way game he brings, while having the ability to provide offense as well. I haven't seen much or Clarke, but from the sounds of it, he is in the same mold.

Past that, if we go with a forward, I feel we essentially have our 'Beniers' of this draft in Podz already, so I'd love something to compliment that. Johnson and Eklund stand out to me so far.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

For me it's Clarke, Guenther or Johnson then do everything possible to make sure we get Morrow in the 2nd (like we'd have any control over that but one can dream)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

For me it's Clarke, Guenther or Johnson then do everything possible to make sure we get Morrow in the 2nd (like we'd have any control over that but one can dream)

Let’s say we get the 12th overall pick... would you trade down for let’s say a 20th and 30th overall? 

39 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Let’s say we get the 12th overall pick... would you trade down for let’s say a 20th and 30th overall? 

I have been racking my brains to figure out away to improve and get more top picks................and of course there is a cost

I just don't want to give up something we need...............

One of the premises I have been thinking about, is that 1 through 12 is a pretty straight line, in terms of talent...........

yes there is a difference, but not anywhere as much as normal.

so, as we speak

NJ has the 4th and 25th picks

CBS has the 6th, 26th and 29th picks

Detroit has the 7th and 30th picks

Minni has the 23rd and 24th picks (not interested)

The Canucks have the 11th pick

But, I have to say, I am not prepared to loose Podkolzin, Juolevi, Rathbone, Lind or Woo, so I think it is a mute point. So, I think we have to just stay where we are and let the chips fall as they may, and hope Benning picks a couple more gems out of this draft.

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Honestly I'm with Jan on this one, I'd be pretty happy with who ever we take out of the top 12 or 13 prospects. They all seem pretty close this year as compared to other years. Obviously some will end up much better than others but I'll be pretty happy with any of them. 

On 4/20/2021 at 2:44 PM, nergish said:

Goalie gang represent!

From there:

Markstrom - team MVP

I was almost on board with your post and drafting a goalie in the high 1st, until you said

“and we have a 29-30 year old Demko mentoring him into the starting role”

Thats still so young for a goalie.  
I feel like if Demko is our guy now and in the future, you gotta think at 29-30 he is still gonna be pretty damn good, and for a while still.  
I think we can wait at least another 2-3 years before we start thinking about drafting starting goalies.   
We still need defence and center prospects. Even a couple high end wingers are needed. 
Not to mention we have Dipietro still looking like a player.  

Brandt Clarke is my pick for this year if somehow he is available.  
Him and Hughes together for 10 years would be wild 

Edited by drummerboy
  • Cheers 2

This year the Canucks are either going to make the playoffs as a Cinderella team or miss - but they won't miss by a lot. So I figure we are very likely to draft 11 to 15 if we miss the playoffs.  If we make the playoffs we still will likely draft 16 to 19. So our window looks very likely to be 11 to 19. (And no lottery).

I hope JB can find a gem given that there has been less in person scouting done this year by everyone compared to most years.

Top 9 fwd or top 4 D who can join within a couple years would be a nice addition. 

Would be a great year to luck out on a Charlie McAvoy type pick (who Boston got at 14).

We could use some good luck this year!!

21 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

This year the Canucks are either going to make the playoffs as a Cinderella team or miss - but they won't miss by a lot. So I figure we are very likely to draft 11 to 15 if we miss the playoffs.  If we make the playoffs we still will likely draft 16 to 19. So our window looks very likely to be 11 to 19. (And no lottery).

I hope JB can find a gem given that there has been less in person scouting done this year by everyone compared to most years.

Top 9 fwd or top 4 D who can join within a couple years would be a nice addition. 

Would be a great year to luck out on a Charlie McAvoy type pick (who Boston got at 14).

For me I think that player is going to be Scott Morrow. He's all over different draft lists, ranked anywhere from late teens to early 40's. I really want us to draft this kid, 6'2 192lbs RHD playing at Shattuck St. Mary's and committed to UND next year. He's been putting up over a PPG on the U18 prep team since just after he turned 16.

Closest recent draft pick from the same program would be Cam York who is shorter, lighter and didn't put up nearly as good of numbers as Morrow and York was also drafted 14th by Philly and was recently ranked #46 on Buttons top 75 prospects list

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2021 at 5:12 PM, fanfor42 said:

Dream big both Carolina and Winnipeg won lotteries to pick Svechnikov and Laine that’s the kind of luck I want!

This kid sounds like another Hoglander.

Fabian Lysell's Player Profile

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - : "He’s a highly skilled puck handler and skater who never takes a shift off. Underrated shot. Stackable skillset. Added deception with gear-changes is the next item needed."

Brayden Olafson - Dobber Prospects - Feb. 3rd: "Fabian Lysell is a winger who injects a high level of energy to his line and consistently positions himself one step ahead of the play. By my assessment, he is a trustworthy and adaptable linemate who commits himself to every sort of task that could lead to reduced defensive zone time and increased offensive opportunity."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Jan. 23rd: "Lysell is a mobile skater with good speed and creativity. The 18-year-old doesn't have dominating size but is strong and capable of winning 1-on-1 battles."

Craig Button - TSN - Dec. 15th: "Very gifted offensive player with a deft touch in and around the net, plus a quick-strike capability. Excellent awareness of how to take advantage of opportunities and is elusive."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Nov. 27th: "There are many layers to this onion, but the eye test will tell you he’s deserving of a much higher ranking."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Oct. 8th: "He has the ability to wind up in his own end and go all the way or dance around the offensive zone. He is a very imaginative offensive player who can create chances very well and has a good shot."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 14th: "He has already begun to show flashes of that ability at the J20 level in the last few weeks. His ability to apply pressure and build speed through his crossovers make him a dangerous transition player and an effective forechecker."

Jokke Nevalainen - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 12th: "Coming from the Frölunda system, Lysell has learned the value of hard work on the ice which is a positive sign, especially for an under-sized offensive winger. He needs to get stronger and prove himself at a higher level but his long-term potential is extremely high."

On 4/21/2021 at 8:54 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Absolutely not. That would be not good. Basically trading 12 for 20 and a piece of dirt. There is a big difference in between those 8 picks.

Edited by Gawdzukes

12 hours ago, appleboy said:

This kid sounds like another Hoglander.

Fabian Lysell's Player Profile

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - : "He’s a highly skilled puck handler and skater who never takes a shift off. Underrated shot. Stackable skillset. Added deception with gear-changes is the next item needed."

Brayden Olafson - Dobber Prospects - Feb. 3rd: "Fabian Lysell is a winger who injects a high level of energy to his line and consistently positions himself one step ahead of the play. By my assessment, he is a trustworthy and adaptable linemate who commits himself to every sort of task that could lead to reduced defensive zone time and increased offensive opportunity."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Jan. 23rd: "Lysell is a mobile skater with good speed and creativity. The 18-year-old doesn't have dominating size but is strong and capable of winning 1-on-1 battles."

Craig Button - TSN - Dec. 15th: "Very gifted offensive player with a deft touch in and around the net, plus a quick-strike capability. Excellent awareness of how to take advantage of opportunities and is elusive."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Nov. 27th: "There are many layers to this onion, but the eye test will tell you he’s deserving of a much higher ranking."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Oct. 8th: "He has the ability to wind up in his own end and go all the way or dance around the offensive zone. He is a very imaginative offensive player who can create chances very well and has a good shot."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 14th: "He has already begun to show flashes of that ability at the J20 level in the last few weeks. His ability to apply pressure and build speed through his crossovers make him a dangerous transition player and an effective forechecker."

Jokke Nevalainen - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 12th: "Coming from the Frölunda system, Lysell has learned the value of hard work on the ice which is a positive sign, especially for an under-sized offensive winger. He needs to get stronger and prove himself at a higher level but his long-term potential is extremely high."

Sounds a lot more of a dynamic offensive player than Hog. 

We could use another dynamic RH winger in the top 6. 

U18s start tomorrow. I'll be doing my final list for the full first round after the tournament. Likely to be significant changes, but for now here's my top 20. There's been some shuffling, but no significant changes from my last list a month or two ago.

1. Brandt Clarke

2. Matthew Beniers

3. Owen Power

4. Luke Hughes

5. William Eklund

6. Cole Sillinger

7. Dylan Guenther

8. Kent Johnson

9. Chaz Lucius

10. Carson Lambos

11. Simon Edvinsson

12. Fabian Lysell