The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I believe he went first which was widely regarded as a big mistake. Obviously it's possible but I wouldn't go for it. Cossa is just not ranked that high and Wallstedt has been the best young Swedish goalie comparable to Kari Lehtonen. While good he's not top 10 worthy in my books. 

I believe Yzerman is a shrewd operator and what people see as an obvious pick will not be according to him. As a player he has played with Osgood, and Hasek, as well as running Tampa. He knows how valuable players are and unless he sees an absolute homerun I don't know that he adds a goalie without having many other pieces. I also don't see SJ going that route as they are constantly re-tooling and it appears that is their current desire as well.

I guess if a team wants to build from the net out and do a proper, slow burn rebuild it may be the way to go. It just seems like a lot of risk in today's day and age. That would take a real gutsy approach.

Here's to hoping! :towel:

Some goalies are ready a lot sooner than other, so their development matches up better with a rebuilding team’s younger core than a goalie who takes 7 years to be NHL ready.  Stevie is building his team, and waiting seven years for a goalie to mature might not fit his time frame.  I’m hopeful he sees Wallstedt as a guy who is ready in two years.  More guys we want drop to our spot. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

True.  Most likely we get one of Johnson, Geunther, or Lysell.  

For me, if those are the three guys that falls to us, I'm choosing Johnson, and praying to God that he works his ass off the next few years to be a Patty Kane like player for the Canucks. 

• Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Probably the same we got for Schneider and lu. Goalies are a dime a dozen. You dont need a HOF goalie to with the cup. 

Why do people keep saying this? What does this mean? 

Not all goalies are created equal..

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Where was MAF drafted?  

Hey Alf, upon reflection I'm thinking it would be a very astute move for LA. He would just be emerging with their core and an 8th here might not return an elite pick as an out player.

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Luke defends like Quinn uses his positioning and stick....but he will bang the occasional guy i hear. 

He is young and has the same interview answers as Quinn, he also sounds like Quinn, but i feel he’s immature like brother Jack . Once hes 20 he’ll be fine imo. Gotta remember all these draftees are young with teenage immaturity.

First of all. 

Two things. 

"...he will bang the occasional guy" I literally laughed out loud when I read this. 

"... but i feel he’s immature like brother Jack" - I hope he's not Virtanen like immature, because Jake never matured after 20. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Why do people keep saying this? What does this mean? 

Not all goalies are created equal..

It means goalies hold little value in trades. 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Hey Alf, upon reflection I'm thinking it would be a very astute move for LA. He would just be emerging with their core and an 8th here might not return an elite pick as an out player.

Does LA move up to get him before Detroit?  Could be some movement this draft in the top ten.  

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

But why do goalies hold little value? 

Like, for example, if Price didn't cost so much in salary, would he in a trade get little in return? I'd consider him a very good goalie and player. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Does LA move up to get him before Detroit?  Could be some movement this draft in the top ten.  

LA probably looking for a goalie, Wallstedt would be the logical choice for them, no? 

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Was getting 9OA for Schneider the best return for a goalie?  I think so, no?  

But if a goalie is projected to be a top NHL starter in two to three years I can see a rebuilding team selecting that guy high in the draft.  

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

LA probably looking for a goalie, Wallstedt would be the logical choice for them, no? 

Detroit is in need of a top goalie prospect too.  Their top guy just said he’s going to Free Agency.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Detroit is in need of a top goalie prospect too.  Their top guy just said he’s going to Free Agency.  

Would Detroit or LA actually choose Cossa if Wellstedt isn't available? 

I think that's reaching quite a bit. Would mean a really good player drops to the Canucks at 9OA

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Would Detroit or LA actually choose Cossa if Wellstedt isn't available? 

I think that's reaching quite a bit. Would mean a really good player drops to the Canucks at 9OA

Sounds like Wallstead has a good chance to go before we pick.  He’s closer to playing.  Don’t know if Cossa is considered that close to NHL ready?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like Wallstead has a good chance to go before we pick.  He’s closer to playing.  Don’t know if Cossa is considered that close to NHL ready?  

I like this video comparing the two:

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

But why do goalies hold little value? 

Like, for example, if Price didn't cost so much in salary, would he in a trade get little in return? I'd consider him a very good goalie and player. 

Because you dont need a venza candidate to win the cup. You do need a true 1d and 1c.