The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 minute ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yet Ceulemans Pked and Clarke didn't. Obviously I basically agree with your point. I have Clarke ranked 2 or 3 overall. But I think a tire fire is a bit much. Also you should clarify what you mean by "in his own zone". Yes he has some struggles defensively, but I'd say there's a very strong argument to be made that Ceulemans is the best defenseman in the class at escapability in his own zone.

I look at his overall play in the ajhl too and not just his tourneys.  His decision making on closing the gaps with inferior comp left me screaming. On top of that he just made some boneheaded moves taking the puck out of the zone that would even make you question why this guy is considered to be dominant like makar. As for instat, it ranges in price to somewhat cheap to expensive.  Back to cuelmans, look at some of the studs he played at the u17s and u18s.he always had soneone to cover for his one or two blunders per game.

1 minute ago, Isam said:

I look at his overall play in the ajhl too and not just his tourneys.  His decision making on closing the gaps with inferior comp left me screaming. On top of that he just made some boneheaded moves taking the puck out of the zone that would even make you question why this guy is considered to be dominant like makar. As for instat, it ranges in price to somewhat cheap to expensive.  Back to cuelmans, look at some of the studs he played at the u17s and u18s.he always had soneone to cover for his one or two blunders per game.

Ceulemans is a bigger and nastier guy than Makar, but clearly isn’t close when attacking with puck on stick.  I could see Ceulemans going to us at nine, depending on how the draft falls.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Ceulemans is a bigger and nastier guy than Makar, but clearly isn’t close when attacking with puck on stick.  I could see Ceulemans going to us at nine, depending on how the draft falls.  

Again. He didnt really show that in the ajhl the he was just a nasty sob to play against or have the ability to carry a team like a pronger. Lets face it. We all would love a pronger, but that dude is a unicorn and we cant expect that player to play like that. A god comp for him is what i used for hughes is slavin from carolina. Which isnt bad, considering our draft position, but if a mctavish or a eklund is there then you have to toss the dice.

I think the defense needs defenders. We have enough offense with Hughes , Rathbone and Myers. 

We will see where the Schmidt thing goes.  Maybe they can turn him into more picks. 

Schmidt is a quirky kind of guy. He maybe hasn't fit into the group.

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think the defense needs defenders. We have enough offense with Hughes , Rathbone and Myers. 

We will see where the Schmidt thing goes.  Maybe they can turn him into more picks. 

Schmidt is a quirky kind of guy. He maybe hasn't fit into the group.

Was there even a group this Covid season?  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Oh yes, Edvinson appears to be one of those sack of hammers for a brain guys.  But Clarke dose struggle with his skating and is easy to play against.  This draft is full of guys with multiple (or one that’s very big) red flags.  

I don’t know I don’t see the skating issues.

cause what the tape of him playing against men and he literally looked like Quinn Hughes skating the puck out of the zone after evading forecheckers 

edit: like I feel like it’s not really a serious issue as he’s very mobile in general and think it can improve to elite level with some time as it could come down to a Skating coach cleaning up his stride a little or little adjustments that make him. But I don’t see his skating as a red flag

and ya I really hoping edvinsson gets picked before us.

Edited by R3aL

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Considering both Bracket and Harvey follow Benning’s guidelines maybe we won’t see much difference at all?  Staff will sit around the table and discuss prospects.  They’ll make a list.  

Although at the draft table Benning would differ to .bracket on value of picks being traded and moving around in the draft.  I wonder who will take on that more scientific/math role?  Maybe Harvey? 

Yeah, something to pay attention if the picks will match his profile when he was a player.

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Lol. In what universe is Guenther going to be a bust? :lol:

I think he's going to be one of the more well-rounded and accomplished players to come out of this draft. 

saw an interview on the NHL network with a scouting group (red line report I think) saying he thinks Guenther will go 1st overall. If that happens this draft will be unpredictable. 

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is Guenther the bust in the Top 10 this year?  

Personally I think he has one of the lower bust potential of the top of the draft this year. His shot is awesome, he thinks the game really well, plays a smart game. Beniers, Eklund, and McTavish I think are equally safe bets to be players.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Too bad we couldn’t put OJ’s head onto Edvinsson’s body. You’d really have something then. I’m leery of Edvinsson based upon what I’m hearing/reading. We’ve already got a “physically talented, struggles with hockey sense” D prospect in Joni Jurmo, who looks like a real long shot now.

And I honestly had no idea that Clarke’s skating is as big an issue as some experts are saying. That gives me pause on him I’ll flat out admit it.

And as far as Lysell….ever since Craig Button stood apart from the scouting crowd in waving warning flags about Virtanen, I tend to give his opinions considerable weight. He is very much going against the crowd about Lysell too. Just something to think about.

Assuming we keep the pick, I trust Jimbo to get us an excellent player.

You realize that Button has Edvinsson 3rd overall, right?  :lol:

image.thumb.png.a65d25e478b39472103430563c333d18.png

5 hours ago, appleboy said:

Match Isam's thoughts below?  I suspect Lambos will go later than 9th.  But mostly because he did not play a full season. He may be what we are looking for...

6 hours ago, Isam said:

Interesting draft.  Lambos is the wild card in this more so then your boy cuelmans. There was alot of misinformation about him this year.

5 hours ago, Isam said:

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Isam said:

Thanks for that. Honestly, I've kinda over-analyzed and talked myself out of Lambos. Had him 3rd in my pre-season rankings, but have had him steadily falling. Such phenomenal upside that I put him 3rd despite some pretty glaring concerns. I caught a couple games in Sarja and it seemed like he'd cleaned up some of the issues, but it's also quite a bit weaker league than WHL, so I was really hoping to see him in WHL or at U18s to see how well he'd been able to rectify the concerns. As it stands my questions are left mostly unanswered and he's just way too much risk to take in the top 10. If he can figure it out he's a cross between Alex Pietrangelo and P.K. Subban.

• Cheers 1

Kent Johnson all the way for me. 

Unless Eklund or Clarke falls to 9th. 

But this would be a very risky pick for Benning. If Johnson doesn’t boom, I can see this being all over Benning’s face. 

With that being said, by the time Johnson does make it to the Canucks, I don’t think Benning will be around as GM of the team. 

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Fair enough. My point was that Button seems to be getting Virtanen vibes from Lysell.

It’s frightening just how right Button was about Jake.

Button said that about Lysell?

Looks like Button knocked Johnson and McTavish out of the Top 10, and putting L'Heureux and Svechkov there instead.

No love for Lysell and Raty either.

Wasn't there an issue with L'Heureux's attitude? Svechkov doesn't look Top 6 to me.