The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Quinn can play RD, Rathbone and Woo are RDs.  So is Persson.

Who do they have that's big and defensive on the Left side?  Juolevi?  Maybe possibly Jurmo?  Not good enough.

Bone is a lefty.  I think he plays that side too, although he’s an incredibly gifted player, so could play his off side too, I’m sure. 

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

In addition to what I think you'll see in that 5NU17 game, this play Dobber highlights in their scouting video is really neat (also the commentary is fun), and is one of the plays I had in mind when I said he's a magician through the middle of the ice:

Also he may not be the fastest skater, but I find him brilliantly smooth. Eklund is the king of manipulating the corners in this draft, but Lucius is pretty crafty in there too:

U17 was definitely a standout game for him. I'd be interested to know his size back then, as he looked a bit bigger than the others, and was able to shrug off players and protect the puck in the corners and along the boards.

His upright skating and stickhandling style, coupled with his slower skating stride, actually reminds me of Eichel. I don't think he is nearly as skilled as Eichel though.

That definitely opened my eyes a bit. I still have my concerns, but I can definitely see more positives than I did before.

Just now, Sp3nny said:

U17 was definitely a standout game for him. I'd be interested to know his size back then, as he looked a bit bigger than the others, and was able to shrug off players and protect the puck in the corners and along the boards.

His upright skating and stickhandling style, coupled with his slower skating stride, actually reminds me of Eichel. I don't think he is nearly as skilled as Eichel though.

That definitely opened my eyes a bit. I still have my concerns, but I can definitely see more positives than I did before.

Maybe you raise a very legitimate concern about a player who physically matures before his peers?  Guys like this and MacTavish reach their ceilings sooner, because they are men sooner.  I think we need to draft the guy who will be the best player when fully a man.  

• Cheers 1

I can kind of imagine a scenario, where it's VAN's turn to pick at #9, and McTavish is still available. Daniel and Henrik walk to the stage, and announce the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select from Lulea of the Swedish Hockey League, Fabian Lysell.

Could it be reminiscent of when Benning took Pettersson ahead of Tippett or Vilardi?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can kind of imagine a scenario, where it's VAN's turn to pick at #9, and McTavish is still available. Daniel and Henrik walk to the stage, and announce the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select from Lulea of the Swedish Hockey League, Fabian Lysell.

Could it be reminiscent of when Benning took Pettersson ahead of Tippett or Vilardi?

I’d be okay with Lysell.  His game is compared to Mitch Marner.  200 foot guy who is smart and responsible.  Can PK.  Drives offence when he does have the puck.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I’d be okay with Lysell.  His game is compared to Mitch Marner.  200 foot guy who is smart and responsible.  Can PK.  Drives offence when he does have the puck.  

Yes, I've heard that comparison. I've also heard he's like Hoglander, but better. I like that more ::D  I think Lysell may play a grittier game that Marner and will probably be thicker, tougher to play against. Not sure I'd be thrilled at first, but I'd get on board with that pick. Imagining the years of Lysell-Pettersson, could be fun.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, I've heard that comparison. I've also heard he's like Hoglander, but better. I like that more ::D  I think Lysell may play a grittier game that Marner and will probably be thicker, tougher to play against. Not sure I'd be thrilled at first, but I'd get on board with that pick. Imagining the years of Lysell-Pettersson, could be fun.

I think Lysell will be there at 9OA too.  Maybe he turns into a Peter Forsberg type player?  That’s Cup parades for us! :towel:

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Lysell will be there at 9OA too.  Maybe he turns into a Peter Forsberg type player?  That’s Cup parades for us! :towel:

I was a bit miffed when they selected Pettersson at #5. I wanted Glass or Vilardi.  But holy, am I glad Benning made the pick. He'll get another good one, but it might not even be who we all think.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bone is a lefty.  I think he plays that side too, although he’s an incredibly gifted player, so could play his off side too, I’m sure. 

In his Utica stint he played left D with Woo as his right D partner.  Formed a formidable pair.  I would think Green pairs them at camp and for a couple of exhibition games to see what he has in them as a duo.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Googlie said:

In his Utica stint he played left D with Woo as his right D partner.  Formed a formidable pair.  I would think Green pairs them at camp and for a couple of exhibition games to see what he has in them as a duo.

Would really help if we had a surprise player in camp like when Stecher broke onto the scene.

Woo seems like the perfect complement to Rathbone if he can put it together at the next level.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Quinn can play RD, Rathbone and Woo are RDs.  So is Persson.

Who do they have that's big and defensive on the Left side?  Juolevi?  Maybe possibly Jurmo?  Not good enough.

QH and JR are LHD, especially considering our coach I highly doubt he gives a young "kid" big minutes on the right side as a left shot D. Our RHD is pathetic from the start of the tenure of the Canucks GM till now, it needs to be addressed in a serious way...Big trade for a young RHD already in the NHL or near ready or draft a few of them this draft. Get away from the Lambos/Hughes/Edvinsson ideas, we have 0 need for LHD this draft with a high pick in the early rounds, later rounds sure why not its a crab shoot

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So a soft player who can't score in the playoffs...yikes! Don't want that for our top pick personally

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

So a soft player who can't score in the playoffs...yikes! Don't want that for our top pick personally

When I put one on the tee like that, I’m just waiting for someone to whack it out of the park.  That’s a Grand Slam Moon 

Shot!  :lol:

#lovetohatetheleafs

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

QH and JR are LHD, especially considering our coach I highly doubt he gives a young "kid" big minutes on the right side as a left shot D. Our RHD is pathetic from the start of the tenure of the Canucks GM till now, it needs to be addressed in a serious way...Big trade for a young RHD already in the NHL or near ready or draft a few of them this draft. Get away from the Lambos/Hughes/Edvinsson ideas, we have 0 need for LHD this draft with a high pick in the early rounds, later rounds sure why not its a crab shoot

What’s a “crab shoot”?  Is that like a turkey shoot?  

I think we got to take the BPA.  If that’s Hughes or Edvinson (which it would be if either of those two are available at our pick) then we take them.  Develop the player and trade for positional need from out of our left D group.  

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What’s a “crab shoot”?  Is that like a turkey shoot?  

I think we got to take the BPA.  If that’s Hughes or Edvinson (which it would be if either of those two are available at our pick) then we take them.  Develop the player and trade for positional need from out of our left D group.  

Hi Alf

I have heard that s many times..........meaning develop the player and then trade for the need, and I get it

But we have been discussing needing a RHD for years, and yet, what team will give up that.....think about it! Most teams are in the exact same situation......

Every team wants an over payment.............

IMO, you go out and draft for skill, and trade for complimentary pieces

Or you catch him in UFA, and pay through the nose

To clarify..........draft your RHD if you need him, and move up if you have to....that is how you get him.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi Alf

I have heard that s many times..........meaning develop the player and then trade for the need, and I get it

But we have been discussing needing a RHD for years, and yet, what team will give up that.....think about it! Most teams are in the exact same situation......

Every team wants an over payment.............

IMO, you go out and draft for skill, and trade for complimentary pieces

Or you catch him in UFA, and pay through the nose

To clarify..........draft your RHD if you need him, and move up if you have to....that is how you get him.

I don’t disagree, but also think Benning should (will) have his prospects in groups.  At nine there will be several players left from the group he expects to be available around that number.  If there’s a RSD in that group, then I agree with you, and Benning should select him over any LSD in that same group.  But I don’t think Benning should go to the next group on his list and take a  RSD from it over a LSD from his higher group.  

I think Benning will have Ceilemans is his group around that number nine pick.  And I think, unless a player from Benning’s top group falls to nine (Hughes, Clarke, McTavish, Eklund for example) that we will pick Ceulemans.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don’t disagree, but also think Benning should (will) have his prospects in groups.  At nine there will be several players left from the group he expects to be available around that number.  If there’s a RSD in that group, then I agree with you, and Benning should select him over any LSD in that same group.  But I don’t think Benning should go to the next group on his list and take a  RSD from it over a LSD from his higher group.  

I think Benning will have Ceilemans is his group around that number nine pick.  And I think, unless a player from Benning’s top group falls to nine (Hughes, Clarke, McTavish, Eklund for example) that we will pick Ceulemans.  

Agree

I am to the point where I ask.....;what pick do you get for 2021-1st (9th OA) + Schmidt, who I think has good standing. If I am Benning and Clarke falls past 3rd OA pick, I ask myself if I can get him. I think the top 3 will cost too much. (I like Schmidt, but that prospect is gold.) I also do not have a problem picking Ceulemans, but I have problems with where he is ranked.......12 to 20.........I mean, who the frick knows?

I would go heavy on RHD........I would take them in this order............

Clarke

Ceulemans

Morrow

Heimosalmi

Mailloux

Schmidt

Bar

All are 6ft 2inches or better, except Heimosalmi, who would go higher if bigger

• Vintage 1