The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What was Green’s comment about “soft skill”?  

I watched a bit more video on Johnson and there's no denying he's got incredible skill, a flick of the wrist gets a goal top shelf, no chance for the goalie. Exceptional. And he's got some speed actually. I was skeptical because he's local (don't want another Jake), but I don't think he's anything like Jake - especially character wise. He's playing in Michigan and stepping up, finishing second in points. Jake played in the Dub for 4 years and jumped into Utica. Kent is doing online skills videos to teach kids, Jake is partying.  Very different people, and players. 

How is Johnson's D game? 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I watched a bit more video on Johnson and there's no denying he's got incredible skill, a flick of the wrist gets a goal top shelf, no chance for the goalie. Exceptional. And he's got some speed actually. I was skeptical because he's local (don't want another Jake), but I don't think he's anything like Jake - especially character wise. He's playing in Michigan and stepping up, finishing second in points. Jake played in the Dub for 4 years and jumped into Utica. Kent is doing online skills videos to teach kids, Jake is partying.  Very different people, and players. 

How is Johnson's D game? 

Johnson is a very young, highly skilled scorer.  Like almost all young guys of this ilk, I’m sure he’s got to develop his game when he doesn’t have the puck.  If he’s smart and high compete, then he will learn that part of the game.  If he’s at all soft, then he might struggle away from the puck.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Johnson is a very young, highly skilled scorer.  Like almost all young guys of this ilk, I’m sure he’s got to develop his game when he doesn’t have the puck.  If he’s smart and high compete, then he will learn that part of the game.  If he’s at all soft, then he might struggle away from the puck.  

What I really like is his willingness to learn and get better. That's huge.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What I really like is his willingness to learn and get better. That's huge.

If he’s mentally tough, because carrying the puck makes a guy a target of abuse, then he could be another Petey level player.  Having two young guys that good would be fantastic!  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nave said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Lambos was picked high, pushing down guys like Clarke, Hughes, or Edvinsson.

I don't see why he would go ahead of the LHD available. However I could see Raty being an upset due to body of work in this weird draft it might be easy to write off this season as a blip, they will have been watching him for a while now maybe one of the teams that had him 1OA still has him high. Maaaaaaaybe its Jim? I would say Raty is as close as it comes in this draft to a sure fire 2 B center man with 2 A Potential which last time  I checked is exactly what the Canucks need (2A).  My personal choice I would prefer Mctavish or Svechkov both great 3C "foundational" prospects . Buuuuuuut Man oh man it would sure be embarassing if Raty flips the switch and can be the 1-2 punch with Bo from the 2ndary to hold the pressure on. To qoute Don Cherry " step on their throat". I wouldn't write Raty out of the top 10 or JBs top 9 for that matter.  

• Cheers 1

Anyone who wants more info on Johnson can search my posts. I've talked about him at length. Definitely one of my fav prospects in this draft, strictly based off his style of play. I've posted about his offense, defense, size etc. He isn't as dynamic as Kane, but his vision and creativity are exceptional, and he isn't afraid to battle in the corners and on the boards even at his smaller size. If he can simplify some aspects of his game, improve his skating (particularly his first few steps), and get his size up to 180+ lbs, he could be an excellent in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

Warming up to Johnson again :frantic:  

Say it every year it seems, but I really wish the Canucks had two 1st round picks. I'd take a F and a D.

Lysell, McTavish and Johnson are intriguing and would provide years of exciting offence.   

Edvinsson and Hughes are also interesting options, but wouldn't be as exciting as the goals.

I don't think VAN is lucky enough to get Beniers, Power, Clarke or Eklund

Johnson - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Miller - Podkolzin

Pearson - Horvat - Lind

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Warming up to Johnson again :frantic:  

Johnson - Pettersson - Boeser

So you wrote it down...

Now how does it feel to you?

Johnson Pete Boeser? 

Is Johnson a 1st line guy on the canucks? 

If no then is he a good line mate for Bo facing top line opposition? 

Is he what the Canucks need on 3C? 

Is Johnson a guy who has a place alongside the Canucks core FWD group? If it's me I would say his greatest competition would be Nils for a spot on the sqaud and where I stand there is Nils does most of he stuff Johnson does really well, also......... well.

Where as Johnson does none of the things Hoglander does well......well at all. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I don't see why he would go ahead of the LHD available. However I could see Raty being an upset due to body of work in this weird draft it might be easy to write off this season as a blip, they will have been watching him for a while now maybe one of the teams that had him 1OA still has him high. Maaaaaaaybe its Jim? I would say Raty is as close as it comes in this draft to a sure fire 2 B center man with 2 A Potential which last time  I checked is exactly what the Canucks need (2A).  My personal choice I would prefer Mctavish or Svechkov both great 3C "foundational" prospects . Buuuuuuut Man oh man it would sure be embarassing if Raty flips the switch and can be the 1-2 punch with Bo from the 2ndary to hold the pressure on. To qoute Don Cherry " step on their throat". I wouldn't write Raty out of the top 10 or JBs top 9 for that matter.  

I don't think he will go ahead of all the others, but one could fall because he's taken unexpectedly high. 
I don't know much about Raty. Just know that some people thought he'd be one of the top prospects, but then he had a disappointing season. Benning's comment that they've been scouting these players since they were 15 does make me think he might look past last season when it comes to Raty, and include him in his top 9-10. Because of that, I've been meaning to give him a look. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

How is Johnson's D game? 

Like everyone else young. Even mctavish has his lapses. Product of being a teen. 

• Vintage 1

Power - Top pairing

Clarke - Top pairing

Hughes - 2nd pairing

Edvinsson - 2nd pairing

Lambos - 2nd pairing

Beniers - 1st Line

Eklund - 1st Line

Johnson - Top 6

Guenther - Top 6

Lysell - Top 6

McTavish - Middle 6

Lucius - Middle 6

Svechkov - Middle 6

• Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Power - Top pairing

Clarke - Top pairing

Hughes - 2nd pairing

Edvinsson - 2nd pairing

Lambos - 2nd pairing

Beniers - 1st Line

Eklund - 1st Line

Johnson - Top 6

Guenther - Top 6

Lysell - Top 6

McTavish - Middle 6

Lucius - Middle 6

Svechkov - Middle 6

Lmao but in actuality, one of the middle 6s will be 1st and the rest will be middle 6 or out the league:P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, R3aL said:

Now that would be quite the swing.

Hughes-Larsson

Would definitely work I think. Maybe the Sedins and Petey and Edler and our Swedish gang here would help secure the signing? Plus the opportunity to play with Hughes and Petey.

Would love to add Corson to the pipeline as well and that would make me feel very comfortable trading the 9th with some extras like Lind and Roussel for Sam Reinhart if we can get an extension in place.

Hoglander-Petey-Reinhart

Highmore-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

MacEwan-Graovac-Motte

Hughes-Larsson

Edler-Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone-Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi

Demko

UFA 

Of course a lot of moving pieces.

Need Virtanen bought out, LE needs to retire, Holtby selected by Seattle over MacEwan.

I think it works though. Reinhart right handed can help Petey with face-offs if he's ever struggling one game too. I think they would complement each other very well too.

Of course the lines could juggle but I think Miller slotting in at C he will have even more success then last year because we will have three dangerous lines and teams will have trouble matching up. He did very well with Petey out at C drawing very tough assignments.

Hughes Larsson is a pairing that just makes sense.

Edler on a cheap contract to protect one or both of juolevi / rathbone from being over exposed or put in a bad position. 

Hamonic I think really needs to be resigned and hopefully at a reasonable and fair term and dollar amount. Think his agent came out with that just so he doesn't get absolutely sewered on his contract. He really started to play well at the end of the season.

With Schmidt out, Larsson in Hughes/Juolevi/Rathbone all one year older and a better hamonic to start the season I think this is a solid group with a good amount of healthy competition.

What you think Agent? Am I going offseason crazy?

How do you figure we get Reinhart? We’d have to part with at least the 9OA for that to happen, at least

I can see the Canucks pursuing Larsson, especially if he doesn’t resign with the Oilers. He would be the next best thing to happen. He’s not a RHD, though, is he? 

Have to say, I cannot understand all this talk comparing Edvinsson to people like Edler and Adam Larsson. Those guys never showed offensive instincts or puck skills anything remotely close to Edvinsson. Edvinsson is the most purely skilled offensive defenseman among the top end of the draft.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Edler and Larson have brains.  Edvinson’s red flag is his lack of grey matter.  He’s got extreme bustaroo bonsai potential.  Just look at Broberg in Soilerville.  They took a gamble with a high pick on a big guy, who skates pretty, and likes to rush the puck, but he’s dumb as a sack of rocks.  Bustaroo bonsais.  Just say no.  Guys need to process quickly, especially on D.  

What are you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

How do you figure we get Reinhart? We’d have to part with at least the 9OA for that to happen, at least

I can see the Canucks pursuing Larsson, especially if he doesn’t resign with the Oilers. He would be the next best thing to happen. He’s not a RHD, though, is he? 

Adam Larsson is a RHD from the Coilers, OEL is a LHD in Zona

39 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Have to say, I cannot understand all this talk comparing Edvinsson to people like Edler and Adam Larsson. Those guys never showed offensive instincts or puck skills anything remotely close to Edvinsson. Edvinsson is the most purely skilled offensive defenseman among the top end of the draft.

I should have been more explanatory in my statement when I made the Larsson comparison. I don't think they play the same way, I actually view Edvinsson as a lesser Dahlin.

Larsson was much more of a defensive player in his draft year, but don't forget, he scored 17 points in the SEL at age 16. He was touted as further ahead than Hedman was in the draft prior. You don't get drafted 4th overall with a 20 point ceiling. I think many thought he could be a two-way beast, shutting down the opposition and chipping in with 40+ points at his peak. He hasn't accomplished either of those unfortunately.

I used the comparison more for the "would you be happy drafting a guy who doesn't live up to his potential?" notion. Not to make Larsson and Edvinsson the same player. I just think that if Edvinsson doesn't get rid of some of the weird passes and giveaways that are present in his game, he will be in tough to ever be put in a position to really succeed at the next level. If he can though, he could be that exact type in the NHL, a two-way beast to anchor your top pair. The upside is very tantalizing.

• Upvote 1