The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Mock top 9

1 Beniers BUF with Finkle and Einhorn playing the field. They need the most NHL ready C.

2 Eklund Seattle is going to be over flowing with middle 6 fwds and mid pair D they need star potential.   

3 Power DUX ...... Duck Power

4 Luke NJD They really should draft Wallstedt here but this is why NJ will continue to suck and Detroit will be competing for the cup in 3 years.

5 McTavish CBJ They need a stabilizing natural C with jam.

6 Wallstedt DET they could probably trade down but as we saw with Sieder they probably just take their guy. 

7 Clarke SJ Burns and Eriksson are getting long in the tooth and moustache. Clarke seems the perfect understudy. 

8 Guenther LA Trades the pick to Minni who is looking to get their rebuild started with a swing for the fences.

9 looking at it without any personal byass towards the players I think JB should draft Lysell/Svechkov. The player I think he would draft is Aatu Raty. Honestly whether its Edvinsson, Lysell, Svechkov, or Raty you're rolling the dice maybe JB would be more comfortable taking a gamble on a player he's been watching since he was 15. 

Edited by hammertime

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Dream draft scenario:

1. BUF - EKLUND

2. SEA - POWERS

3. ANA - BENIERS

4. NJD - HUGHES

5. CLB - SVECHKOV 

6. DET - WALLSTEDT

7. SJS - JOHNSON 

8. LAK - EDVINSSON / MCTAVISH

9. VAN - CLARKE

Be a happy happy guy if we get Clarke

That'd be a real dream but I doubt he doesn't go in the top 5

56 minutes ago, Stech said:

I feel like we aren't talking enough about Fyodor Svechkov. After watching all the video packages I could find, I am convinced this guy is gonna be one of the best players produced in this draft. Arguably one of, if not the best defensive forward in his draft class, he plays a mature 2-way game with lots of room to grow. Playing in Russia's version of the AHL (VHL) this past year, he put up similar points to our own Podkolzin in his D-1 year, on an admittedly terrible team. He plays a premier position, dominates against his peers (had an unreal U18), already plays against men, and puts up respectable point totals while being solid in his own end. If this doesn't scream high-end 2nd or 3rd line center (which everyone likens to McTavish) I don't know what does. Comparing him to McTavish, I see more playmaking ability and overall 200 foot aptitude than his Canadian counterpart.

I could see Jim taking this guy at 9 and surprising most pundits who will label this as a reach - much like how we "reached" for Pettersson at 5 a few years ago.

Not to mention, Craig Button (taken with a grain of salt) has Svechkov at 10th on his top prospects list. Fyodor fits a need both short and long term, and profiles as a hard-nosed defensive center with playmaking ability, kind of the player we should be pursuing when our competitive window opens up anyway. This guy will be a beast in the playoffs.

Source:

I'd be more than ok with this.

1 hour ago, Stech said:

I feel like we aren't talking enough about Fyodor Svechkov. After watching all the video packages I could find, I am convinced this guy is gonna be one of the best players produced in this draft. Arguably one of, if not the best defensive forward in his draft class, he plays a mature 2-way game with lots of room to grow. Playing in Russia's version of the AHL (VHL) this past year, he put up similar points to our own Podkolzin in his D-1 year, on an admittedly terrible team. He plays a premier position, dominates against his peers (had an unreal U18), already plays against men, and puts up respectable point totals while being solid in his own end. If this doesn't scream high-end 2nd or 3rd line center (which everyone likens to McTavish) I don't know what does. Comparing him to McTavish, I see more playmaking ability and overall 200 foot aptitude than his Canadian counterpart.

I could see Jim taking this guy at 9 and surprising most pundits who will label this as a reach - much like how we "reached" for Pettersson at 5 a few years ago.

Not to mention, Craig Button (taken with a grain of salt) has Svechkov at 10th on his top prospects list. Fyodor fits a need both short and long term, and profiles as a hard-nosed defensive center with playmaking ability, kind of the player we should be pursuing when our competitive window opens up anyway. This guy will be a beast in the playoffs.

Source:

Well stated!  I feel the same for sure.  I see a Bergeron type player for us.  His offence will come with better linemates and development.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I've been doing my best to pump his tires. Have him ranked 7th myself. Someone mentioned earlier Button just put out his latest rankings and has Svechkov 6th now. His hockey IQ is bonkers. I'd had him in my top 12 for over a year, but what really solidified him as a top ten pick for me was when I started looking at the defensive games of some of the top D in this class, I like to look at head-to-head moments against other top prospects, and whether it's Clarke, Edvinsson or Hughes, Svechkov just has everyone's number.

image.gif.4a98b6e27890aad5415939023e72f375.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I've been doing my best to pump his tires. Have him ranked 7th myself. Someone mentioned earlier Button just put out his latest rankings and has Svechkov 6th now. His hockey IQ is bonkers. I'd had him in my top 12 for over a year, but what really solidified him as a top ten pick for me was when I started looking at the defensive games of some of the top D in this class, I like to look at head-to-head moments against other top prospects, and whether it's Clarke, Edvinsson or Hughes, Svechkov just has everyone's number.

this is Buttons current list. Pretty interesting how its shaped up. Given how accurate Button has been the last 4 years this has some interesting implications for the Canucks for sure:

Craig's List - Final:

1. Owen Power

2. Brandt Clarke

3. Matthew Beniers

4. William Eklund

5. Luke Hughes

6. Fedor Svechkov

7. Jesper Wallstedt 

8. Simon Edvinsson

9. Dylan Guenther

10. Mason McTavish

11. Matthew Coronato

12. Zachary L’Heureux

13. Cole Sillinger

14. Kent Johnson

15. Sebastian Cossa

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-list-owen-power-nhl-draft-1.1666950

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I've been doing my best to pump his tires. Have him ranked 7th myself. Someone mentioned earlier Button just put out his latest rankings and has Svechkov 6th now. His hockey IQ is bonkers. I'd had him in my top 12 for over a year, but what really solidified him as a top ten pick for me was when I started looking at the defensive abilities of some of the top D in this class, I like to look at head-to-head moments against other top prospects, and whether it's Clarke, Edvinsson or Hughes, Svechkov just has everyone's number.

VP, and this kid down the line, would be awesome!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Stech said:

Source:

Really like this player and would definitely be excited if ends up as our guy. Just an added bonus of making SKA even more angry at our franchise for taking another top prospect out of their system. Karma for how they treated Podkolzin when he made it clear he was coming to the NHL :towel:

Edit: If he wasn't an LHD, but even still, maybe we should draft Kirill Kirsanov in the 2nd or 3rd round. The last remaining of SKAs top prospects and someone regarded as possibly the best defensive dman in the draft.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is Buttons current list. Pretty interesting how its shaped up. Given how accurate Button has been the last 4 years this has some interesting implications for the Canucks for sure:

Craig's List - Final:

1. Owen Power

2. Brandt Clarke

3. Matthew Beniers

4. William Eklund

5. Luke Hughes

6. Fedor Svechkov

7. Jesper Wallstedt 

8. Simon Edvinsson

9. Dylan Guenther

10. Mason McTavish

11. Matthew Coronato

12. Zachary L’Heureux

13. Cole Sillinger

14. Kent Johnson

15. Sebastian Cossa

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-list-owen-power-nhl-draft-1.1666950

Kent Johnson falling to 14th? Wow, whoever's selecting there is going to get a great prospect. 

How does Geunther compare to Johnson? 

9 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Kent Johnson falling to 14th? Wow, whoever's selecting there is going to get a great prospect. 

How does Geunther compare to Johnson? 

from what I've been reading in this thread, it sounds like Johnson is more of a playmaker and Guenther is more of a pure shooter, but thats me over-simplifying it I'm sure. Some are worried about the "WHL factor" for lack of a better term on DG as well, given the lower quality of competition.

If it actually falls the way Button predicts I'd want McTavish, big mean C is something we really need. 

On 7/6/2021 at 5:32 PM, HockeyHarry said:

Luke defends like Quinn uses his positioning and stick....but he will bang the occasional guy i hear. 

He is young and has the same interview answers as Quinn, he also sounds like Quinn, but i feel he’s immature like brother Jack . Once hes 20 he’ll be fine imo. Gotta remember all these draftees are young with teenage immaturity.

9cafd6bf94139f94052dd678139925e6.jpeg

• Haha 1