The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

For those of you high on Clarke, is his skating any cause for concern? Especially for a player billed as an offensive defenseman, I think his skating is bit below average from the videos I've seen. Craig Button has him at #2, so perhaps it is not an issue.

29 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Sounds like some chatter brewing that Rosen is a serious top 15 candidate, and many people like him better than Lysell. I know @hammertime has been big on the Svechkov and Rosen wagons. Good on him.

I am high on Rosen. I don't know abut top 15 high but certainly top 20 high. In a vacuum of goal scoring ability and offensive instincts. Rosen IMO is right up there with the best at rippling mesh in the draft Guenther, Mctavish, Lucius, Stankoven, Sillinger IMO he's probably the most dynamic shooter. Take with a handful of salt Kaliyev was also the best scorer in his draft year and waited until the 2nd round to hear his name called. Though I have fewer concerns with Rosen away from the puck. I do think Rosen's game will translate to being a 20-30 goal scorer on the right team maybe more. I would be elated with picking Rosen in the 2nd and I probably wouldn't go higher than 18th OA. Right around where I had Hoglander and we got him so maybe JB is twice lucky.

• Like 1

Just now, bruceybruce said:

Saying that because he had more goals at 16 years old means he is going to be a better NHL scorer is a massive stretch but okay i was more shocked at the part where you said he is better defensively than Bo. He had a better +/- in midget or wha

Mason is ranked #2 in NHL central scouting overall out of every single person in north america. To say he cant have a higher scoring ceiling than Bo isnt really going out on a limb.  

i think most know that Bo Isnt that great on the defensive end. If anything hes a bit below average, not the greatest forechecker, doesnt pk often but does things better on the offense side

mason on the other hand gets high praise by all the scouts for his defense play.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dougieL said:

For those of you high on Clarke, is his skating any cause for concern? Especially for a player billed as an offensive defenseman, I think his skating is bit below average from the videos I've seen. Craig Button has him at #2, so perhaps it is not an issue.

Yeah it's weird. He's ridiculously deceptive with it though. I don't know anything about skating mechanices but I heard a thing I think it was from Brock Otten (a media scout who specializes in OHL) who said he'd consulted with powerskating coaches who said Clarke's specific concern is a tough thing to fix. I don't know anything about skating mechanics, but I see results, and you just don't see Hughes, Power, Edvinsson, Ceulemans or any defensemen in the draft I'm aware of who can manipulate defending players and make them miss in close quarters the way Clarke can. Maybe Heimosalmi. His hands and IQ are a big part of that, but also very much because of his skating. When asked what he wants to improve on this summer he says mainly adding power on his first couple steps

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Sounds like some chatter brewing that Rosen is a serious top 15 candidate, and many people like him better than Lysell. I know @hammertime has been big on the Svechkov and Rosen wagons. Good on him.

Ya I'm a Rosen guy as well, mentioned him a bit before. Really nice offensive game from him.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah it's weird. He's ridiculously deceptive with it though. I don't know anything about skating mechanices but I heard a thing I think it was from Brock Otten (a media scout who specializes in OHL) who said he'd consulted with powerskating coaches who said Clarke's specific concern is a tough thing to fix. I don't know anything about skating mechanics, but I see results, and you just don't see Hughes, Power, Edvinsson, Ceulemans or any defensemen in the draft I'm aware of who can manipulate defending players and make them miss in close quarters the way Clarke can. Maybe Heimosalmi. His hands and IQ are a big part of that, but also very much because of his skating. When asked what he wants to improve on this summer he says mainly adding power on his first couple steps

Awesome - thanks.

1 minute ago, bruceybruce said:

Oh wow really is he ranked #2 in NHL central scouting overall out of every single person in north america. Hopefully he is picked before 9 then , leaving one of the better prospects for us. From what ive seen from limited highlights and scouting reports, he is a bit one dimensional and lethargic, id pass.

Your opinion means very little to me.

lmfao

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Mason is ranked #2 in NHL central scouting overall out of every single person in north america. To say he cant have a higher scoring ceiling than Bo isnt really going out on a limb.  

i think most know that Bo Isnt that great on the defensive end. If anything hes a bit below average, not the greatest forechecker, doesnt pk often but does things better on the offense side

mason on the other hand gets high praise by all the scouts for his defense play.

Well Bo continues to improve and is a BEAST in the face-off circle. the importance of Bo to our team in the dot cannot be understated.

He also gets really tough assignments with not a lot of winger support.

I am not sure if McTavish will surpass Bo. I think its a little early to make that claim but to say it is possible, for sure it is possible. 

But let us not forget:

Bo at the JR level was considered an ace defensively in the playoffs he shutdown his peers top lines and out produced them offensively. He was a late riser on draft boards because of his post season play. And he was drawing Bergeron/O'Reilly comparisons.

McTavish has some recency bias as its his draft year here. McTavish has played less games in his draft year, less important playoff / tournament games and done/shown less then Bo did in his draft year in my opinion.

And the negatives of Bo you are saying are things he was PRAISED for in his scouting reports. Go back and check em out if you don't remember. 

I am not saying you are wrong I am just saying I wouldn't be so sure and I think if you refresh yourself with Draft scouting of Bo and his JR play you may feel different.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well Bo continues to improve and is a BEAST in the face-off circle. the importance of Bo to our team in the dot cannot be understated.

He also gets really tough assignments with not a lot of winger support.

I am not sure if McTavish will surpass Bo. I think its a little early to make that claim but to say it is possible, for sure it is possible. 

But let us not forget:

Bo at the JR level was considered an ace defensively in the playoffs he shutdown his peers top lines and out produced them offensively. He was a late riser on draft boards because of his post season play. And he was drawing Bergeron/O'Reilly comparisons.

McTavish has some recency bias as its his draft year here. McTavish has played less games in his draft year, less important playoff / tournament games and done/shown less then Bo did in his draft year in my opinion.

And the negatives of Bo you are saying are things he was PRAISED for in his scouting reports. Go back and check em out if you don't remember. 

I am not saying you are wrong I am just saying I wouldn't be so sure and I think if you refresh yourself with Draft scouting of Bo and his JR play you may feel different.

Hey i love Bo and his game. I love how hes such a good faceoff guy and leader for us. Just dont see him winning board battles as much as id like him to or steal pucks but maybe its cause im greed af

23 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I am high on Rosen. I don't know abut top 15 high but certainly top 20 high. In a vacuum of goal scoring ability and offensive instincts. Rosen IMO is right up there with the best at rippling mesh in the draft Guenther, Mctavish, Lucius, Stankoven, Sillinger IMO he's probably the most dynamic shooter. Take with a handful of salt Kaliyev was also the best scorer in his draft year and waited until the 2nd round to hear his name called. Though I have fewer concerns with Rosen away from the puck. I do think Rosen's game will translate to being a 20-30 goal scorer on the right team maybe more. I would be elated with picking Rosen in the 2nd and I probably wouldn't go higher than 18th OA. Right around where I had Hoglander and we got him so maybe JB is twice lucky.

Rosen is interesting.

Some guys have been really high on him.

You know what interests me though why HockeyPRospect is so high on Matthew Knies.

Last year he looked like he could be a top prospect for the draft like a top 5 guy but he had a flat year even though he was given more opportunity in the same league same team.

@HighOnHockey what is your take on Matthew Knies?

https://hockeyprospect.com/2021-nhl-draft-rankings/

They seem to be a little biased to USHL players.

12 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Hey i love Bo and his game. I love how hes such a good faceoff guy and leader for us. Just dont see him winning board battles as much as id like him to or steal pucks but maybe its cause im greed af

Hey I am greedy too but if we got a player who can produce on the PP, win almost all his draws, play against other teams top lines without top tier wingers and be a leader on our team I aint complaining.

He also elevates his compete and play in the playoffs kid is a winner. Literally has produced in every playoff series he has been in and really stood out.

At his age he is almost "he is what he is".

I think his defensive details can improve year after year here still and I think we will see his offensive production improve with better wingers and with a healthy EP40 and better overall team defence,

A guy who can score 65+ points while playing against top lines on a fair contract, that is a blessing to every team.

But seriously the draft year Bo had was immensely more promising than McTavishes. Bo biggest question mark was his skating and he turned his biggest weakness into a strength. He has developed at a new linear pace and it is safe to say he will be a little bit better next year as well with an improved and healthy roster.

Edited by R3aL
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This draft can't come soon enough. 

Craig Button just released his rankings...  

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-list-owen-power-nhl-draft-1.1666944

You're a little late to the party but hey... Latest news in these parts... Svechkov is so hot right nowB).... Rosen is coming oit of left field:ph34r: and Lysell has been wronged and relegated to the end of the world (or first round) by big bad Button.  The drama!!!:frantic:

• Haha 2

And with their first round pick Vancouver Canucks select…. Patrick White. 

Those were the days hey guys. I remember back then I didn’t care about the draft cause we usually didn’t have any picks and rarely drafted an NHL player 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

And with their first round pick Vancouver Canucks select…. Patrick White. 

Those were the days hey guys. I remember back then I didn’t care about the draft cause we usually didn’t have any picks and rarely drafted an NHL player 

I sooo remember that pick lol!  I remember the analysis where scratching their heads try to make sense of it... I remember hearing the word "reach" a number of times and "who?" lol!  I don't miss those days for sure!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1