The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, Nave said:

The Scouching Report for Svechkov showed how he was one of the best transition forwards that Scouch tracked. He'd move the puck up the ice and into the offensive zone. But, when they got there, his VHL team couldn't sustain offensive possession. However, in the MHL and U-18s, he looked dangerous offensively. This makes me think he has untapped offensive potential. Together with some of our puck moving defensemen, especially Hughes, I think he could aid our transitions, and set up offensive zone faceoffs for our top line. 

I’m really starting to lean toward Svechkov. Just sounds like the perfect center man to play behind Petey and Bo when he finally gets here. Him and Podkolzin together would be a total pain in the ass to play against. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

If Benning isn't able to make any moves, does he use the #9? I'm starting to wonder, he says they're very busy and working hard, but nothing is happening. I'm a little concerned he'll have a knee-jerk reaction and sign Hyman or trade for OEL or Domi. Would he do something like trade Schmidt and the #9 for Jones?

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If Benning isn't able to make any moves, does he use the #9? I'm starting to wonder, he says they're very busy and working hard, but nothing is happening. I'm a little concerned he'll have a knee-jerk reaction and sign Hyman or trade for OEL or Domi. Would he do something like trade Schmidt and the #9 for Jones?

I was under the assumption more would be happening the hours leading up to the roster freeze, I imagine things are very busy league-wide and right down to the wire we will see moves trickle? in. There remains teams at present that do not meet expansion requirements so trades are coming.

Also to think about here is Seattle is from what is being said out there is asking very high prices for teams to secure specific assets don't get selected and the fact that over the past few days the asks on retaining players has not changed from 1sts and high picks leads me to believe things will go to the wire.

As far as the Canucks are concerned, is Schmidt on the move ? well if Vancouver is making moves it should be to address the blueline. Not at all a fan of hearing Boeser's name being involved in talks but if it is a package or multi player deal involving a bigger pedigree blueliner then I am all ears. Either way I don't see how Hyman is fitting into any Vancouver scenario, if the demands are in the 6m per range that is a joke for that kind of player.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

He's more Brendan Lemieux. If you get him in the 2nd I'd say you're doing alright. 

*Edit to @Alflives comment below this is a real concern. And I think he will probably be on our no draft list. FA takes covid very seriously Zack spitting on a guy during a pandemic probably puts him on our no draft list. 

Edited by hammertime

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Now that the Canucks don't have a 3rd or 4th at the Draft,  Benning's got to nail the first two picks.

Lady luck will shine. 

1 Brandt Clarke 

2 Heimosalmi 

5 Daniil Lazutin

5 Oscar Plandowski

6 Elias Florian

6 Danil Sobolev

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So I think with dickinson we don't need a projected 3c anymore. So I see us getting lucky and getting a D or going all in on boom or bust

1st option (getting lucky):

Buf- Eklund

SEA- beniers

ANA- Clarke

NJD- Power

Cbj- Mctavish

DET- Wallstadt

SJS- guenther 

LAK- Cossa

Van- Hughes

2nd option: 

Buf- Eklund

Sea- beniers

Ana- Power

NJD- Hughes

Cbj- mctavish

Det- wallstadt

SSjs- Clarke

LAK- Guenther 

Van- Johnson

Either way it is nice going in with two great options

• Like 1

Fabian Lysell is a player I'm on the fence about. Just every time I watch him he's doing so much. So many bad things happen for him, but so very many good things. Scouch portrays it as a strength of the player, but it reminds me of Torts talking about Hagelin and Texier. Remember when he said in a presser that Hagelin "stinks" on the powerplay? When asked about it the only thing he said that gave a hint was "he's a jitterbug". Now he keeps talking about Texier, sometimes in a positive, sometimes in a negative tone. The jist of it is something like "we love the energy and enthusiasm, but he needs to learn to settle himself down at times". It's basically what I've been saying about Lysell all year, can he reel it in and be a pro.

And the thing in Scouch about his teammates not passing him the puck - it reminds me of Antonio Stranges and why he was stuck on the 3rd line with London his draft year. Liam Foudy, Connor McMichael, all these highly skilled 18 and 19 year olds in the top six, but if Stranges played with them they'd never get the puck. Not that Lysell's linemates won't get the puck, but they are no longer the ones driving play, and they're seasoned pro hockey players supposed to take a back seat to this 18 year old.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looked at The Draft Analyst and Craig Button's Lists. Their Top 15 - they agree on these players in that group, creating the Top 9?

1. Power

2. Beniers

3. Eklund

4. Clarke

5, Hughes

6. Johnson

7. Guenther

8. McTavish

9. Sillinger

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looked at The Draft Analyst and Craig Button's Lists. Their Top 15 - they agree on these players in that group, creating the Top 9?

1. Power

2. Beniers

3. Eklund

4. Clarke

5, Hughes

6. Johnson

7. Guenther

8. McTavish

9. Sillinger

Lol, Button plus Kournianos equals the definitive draft list. You've solved the ultimate draft equation. But i think you're forgetting the Scouch variable.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Fabian Lysell is a player I'm on the fence about. Just every time I watch him he's doing so much. So many bad things happen for him, but so very many good things. Scouch portrays it as a strength of the player, but it reminds me of Torts talking about Hagelin and Texier. Remember when he said in a presser that Hagelin "stinks" on the powerplay? When asked about it the only thing he said that gave a hint was "he's a jitterbug". Now he keeps talking about Texier, sometimes in a positive, sometimes in a negative tone. The jist of it is something like "we love the energy and enthusiasm, but he needs to learn to settle himself down at times". It's basically what I've been saying about Lysell all year, can he reel it in and be a pro.

And the thing in Scouch about his teammates not passing him the puck - it reminds me of Antonio Stranges and why he was stuck on the 3rd line with London his draft year. Liam Foudy, Connor McMichael, all these highly skilled 18 and 19 year olds in the top six, but if Stranges played with them they'd never get the puck. Not that Lysell's linemates won't get the puck, but they are no longer the ones driving play, and they're seasoned pro hockey players supposed to take a back seat to this 18 year old.

You're over thinking it me thinks. I'm not as high on him as Scouch but I do feel Lysell really does show a willingness to play the way he will need to to be successful. Even if he is not yet successful. He fits the speed and skill mantra as well as the team identity we are cultivating of smothering forechecking. I would personally take him 7th. 

1Beniers Most ready 

2Eklund Most upside

3Clarke Top pairing RHD

4Luke Top pairing LHD

5Mctavish Prototypical playoff performer 2/3C

6Wallstedt Possibly generational goalie 

7Lysell gets pucks I like pucks.

8Edvinsson Maybe a better skater even than Luke regardless he's bigger, nastier, and more Swedish 

9Svechkov You can't always get what you want but you can get what you need. Svech long term with Podkolzin makes all of the sense.

10Power Every time I watch him I see a decent big but not mean, fast but not quick mid pairing D I guess at 10 thats pretty alright.

I have moved Clarke down to 3rd. I just feel like I have seen a bit of a tale of 2 players with him where Beniers and Eklund are more safely projectable same reason I have moved Power up to 10 its pretty safe to say you get a mammoth mid pair D where with Guenther, Johnson I don't think its safe to say you're going to get more value. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Also just a thought. LAK are making decent moves to help contend maybe they could want to update their D.

To van:

Sean Walker 

8th overall

2021 3rd (they have 2) 

To LAK:

Nate Schmidt

9th overall.

Essentially they pay a 3rd and move down one to get a great upgrade.

We get a natural RD for half the money.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Also just a thought. LAK are making decent moves to help contend maybe they could want to update their D.

To van:

Sean Walker 

8th overall

2021 3rd (they have 2) 

To LAK:

Nate Schmidt

9th overall.

Essentially they pay a 3rd and move down one to get a great upgrade.

We get a natural RD for half the money.

Would love that