The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

14 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Logan Mailloux acting as a gentlemen:

Regarding gentleman: Do you consider Nikita Kucherov being a gentleman? I assume you have watched this video after the Lightning won the cup.

Kuckerov has nothing to do with this draft or with Dickinson.  Why bring him up?

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Kent Johnson looks like the safe pick but Guenther has more upside so I'd be happy with either or, of course would be great if Brandt Clarke fell to us. I have this really really bad hunch about Mason McTavish. He has Max Domi written all over him. Pretty good for a couple of years and then a nosedive

I think it's fair to be hesitant about any player who shoots up the rankings after all the hockey has been played. Is the player himself being evaluated, or the idea of the player. 2 months ago he was the safe pick at 9, now almost sure he's gone by then. What changed?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Logan Mailloux acting as a gentlemen:

Regarding gentleman: Do you consider Nikita Kucherov being a gentleman? I assume you have watched this video after the Lightning won the cup.

Step in the right direction from this young man. My only hope is that those aren't hollow words and no team does draft him. This could be a turning point in his life, a wake up call. I hope every team passes on him so he gets that wake up call.

• Like 3

Mailloux 2022!!!

Anyway, some are saying trade up to get Clarke or Hughes, or trade down to get Svechkov or Ceulemans. I doubt teams will be trading up or down, because the rankings are all over the  place, and moving is costly - unless there's a player they really really want.

I think the Canucks have lots of options, so they'll stay at #9 and get their guy. They're going to have some real good players to choose from.  There will be some very happy Canucks fans on Friday, but also some upset ones.  Can't please everybody.

I could see VAN having to choose from:  Johnson, Edvinsson, Guenther, Svechkov, Lysell - and then VAN will take Sillinger

or they'll trade the #9 for a D partner for Quinn Hughes next season. That's a real possibility too.

27 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I think it's fair to be hesitant about any player who shoots up the rankings after all the hockey has been played. Is the player himself being evaluated, or the idea of the player. 2 months ago he was the safe pick at 9, now almost sure he's gone by then. What changed?

It isn't that complicated. Scouts have already known what they know for many months, but that information takes time to become available to the public.

45 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Step in the right direction from this young man. My only hope is that those aren't hollow words and no team does draft him. This could be a turning point in his life, a wake up call. I hope every team passes on him so he gets that wake up call.

Mailloux 2022 baby!!!!!!! Go get him Benning! One of the most beautiful statements I've ever read. 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Patrik Laine said:

Mailloux 2022 baby!!!!!!! Go get him Benning! One of the most beautiful statements I've ever read. 

Makes me wonder. Benning might just love this kid's character by admitting his wrongs and saying he wants to do better.  What if teams pass on him, but Benning decides to take him with the 5th or 6th?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Makes me wonder. Benning might just love this kid's character by admitting his wrongs and saying he wants to do better.  What if teams pass on him, but Benning decides to take him with the 5th or 6th?  

As a sixth rounder would be sweet. But all the clubs will respect his wishes and he will go in the first round next year. If I'm him for that year I'm only using a rotary dial phone. No cells with cameras haha

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

This guy has an agent, who is obviously guiding what he says.  It is a statement that has no value, because he can’t stop any team from selecting him.  But he can help that team, who selects him, get in front of the coming storm with this statement.  It’s all just publicity people working behind the scenes.  

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This guy has an agent, who is obviously guiding what he says.  It is a statement that has no value, because he can’t stop any team from selecting him.  But he can help that team, who selects him, get in front of the coming storm with this statement.  It’s all just publicity people working behind the scenes.  

Damn. His agent is good. Had me fooled. I thought mailloux was in his room all night writing that. Definitely worth his 10%

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

excellent report about Kent Johnson's journey to become a potential top 10 pick in the athletic - free read- !

https://theathletic.com/2714864/2021/07/20/why-youve-never-seen-anyone-like-nhl-draft-eligible-center-kent-johnson/?source=emp_shared_article

Can u copy and paste just the words of the article?. There is no way I'm paying money to Drance. Not a chance. 

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why doesn't Mailloux just throw himself on his sword, and appease the crowd?

Looks likes that is what it is going to take.

What are you going on about? The guy made a dirt bag move and took heat for it. Rightfully so. This morning he came out and took a step in the right direction to make amends and so far everything I have seen regarding the subject is people saying he took the right first steps. He should be passed over in this draft, just like he said were his (his advisors) wishes, and given a fresh start next year after paying the consequences for his actions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

How does he look like a safe pick to you?  I assume you believe his skill set will translate over well?  What happens when he finds that he has less space and time and can't dangle around everyone?  My question about Johnson is, does he have the high hockey IQ?  Peteys does and that's why he can adjust.  To the elite nhl forwards and D that have a game plan to play him.  Look at Johnny hockey... Amazing skill, undersized and still very effective... Until the book was out on him and now he isn't nearly as effective as he was years past.  You have to adapt, especially if you're undersized.  I get a Johnny hockey vibe... Maybe a better attitude but nevertheless, if he doesn't have the IQ, he will fade away a few years down the line. 

If Johnny Hockey was 6'1, played center, and was better defensively I think most people would want him on their team. Johnson does have very high hockey IQ and elite skill usually translates well to NHL as long as you can play a NA style hockey. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Logan Mailloux removed himself from the draft, so anything wanting us to draft a teenager taking pictures of himself getting a blow job can take that dream and put it to rest

At least we still got Virtanen I guess... 

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If Johnny Hockey was 6'1, played center, and was better defensively I think most people would want him on their team. Johnson does have very high hockey IQ and elite skill usually translates well to NHL as long as you can play a NA style hockey. 

Sorry this just reminded me of this video and I always get a chuckle from it.

https://youtu.be/VqzkKs5shCM

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Johnson has high IQ, and he plays his role in the defensive end (could still get a lot better there especially as he gets a little stronger) which is rare for someone his age with elite offensive instincts. The biggest thing for Johnson will be to try and do a little less and pick his spots in the pros which I’m sure he will be open to being coached so I don’t see any issue with him at all. I’d be extremely happy with him

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

yup. Right now its all yap. Lets see some actual deeds. 

• Vintage 1