The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

49 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why doesn't Mailloux just throw himself on his sword, and appease the crowd?

Looks likes that is what it is going to take.

I'm assuming by this that you'd don't have a daughter. 

Right now its all yap and the "right" statement likely crafted by his agent. It doesn't mean much, he was likely going to get passed over anyway. Its better for his career to wait and go high next year, the kid really isn't giving up much here. 

How about we wait and see if he actually does something concrete to make amends in some way? because this is a career saving move, not one that does anything for the victim. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

This guy has an agent, who is obviously guiding what he says.  It is a statement that has no value, because he can’t stop any team from selecting him.  But he can help that team, who selects him, get in front of the coming storm with this statement.  It’s all just publicity people working behind the scenes.  

Maybe.... the road to Rome starts with the first step... 

No doubt he screwed up with the actions of an immature moron. However, lessons are learnt throughout our lives, and for some it takes more, and some never learns...

However most folks deserve a second chance, and this statement, whether right or wrong is a step in the right direction.

Only time will tel if its nothing but a PR stunt... But definitely netter than silence and nothing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I have very mixed thoughts on this

First off, yes totally wrong on every level, and he could do alot to show remorse. Aka, sensitivity training, volunteer in a women's shelter, etc.

I however, think that 17 year old young people do really stupid things, along the way to becoming an adult. Most do not fall that far.

But, thinking back, I can't say I was perfect. Far from it, actually.

The truth of the matter is, social media, causes it to become a public issue, because everything today is printed, and the exposure is massive.

I would say, in alot of ways, the media has a large part in blowing this this up and making it a hot topic. It will be repeated and regurgitated repeatedly

at nauseum, until people move on. The act is normal, but best kept private, obviously. The girl I am sure, wishes to move pass it.

Yet we will beat it to death, today. 

This is in some ways gossip, and we are in some ways at fault for its continuance.

Social Media is a blessing and a curse. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

First off, yes totally wrong on every level, and he could do alot to show remorse. Aka, sensitivity training, volunteer in a women's shelter, etc.

I however, think that 17 year old young people do really stupid things, along the way to becoming an adult. Most do not fall that far.

The truth of the matter is, social media, causes it to become a public issue, because everything today is printed, and the exposure is massive.

I would say, in alot of ways, the media has a large part in blowing this this up and making it a hot topic. It will be repeated and regurgitated repeatedly

at nauseum, until people move on. The act is normal, but best kept private, obviously. The girl I am sure, wishes to move pass it.

This is in some ways gossip, and we are in some ways at fault for its continuance.

The woman is likely mortified by the situation. That's why police were brought into the subject. Him dropping out if the draft is only the first step in his journey to become a decent human. There should always be consequences for your actions. In this kids case, the consequences are him delaying his possible NHL career. In another teens case maybe he gets fired from his job, or publically ostracized at school. Bigger stakes should lead to bigger consequences, and hopefully this kid can grow and become a better person because of it.

From all accounts the kid has a lot of talent. If he stays in the draft this year, he slips until some organizations puts their morals aside and drafts him. That's a lose lose situation. No team should have to be deciding at what point they have to disregard human decency for the chance to become a better team. He can sit out this year, prove he is dedicated to becoming a better person because of his mistake, and hopefully get a clean slate to work with next year if he has earned that right. That or he doesn't do anything to make amends, or has further antics and never gets drafted. If that's the case, so be it.

Realistically the kid hasn't done anything to make amends yet. But he has made a positive first step. He has said and done the right things likely under the advise of his parents or agent. Hopefully he is committed to being a better person and comes back stronger because of it. Until then, good riddance.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Take him with our last pick on the draft, could just have been a bad decision, mostly likely not the monster people painting him to be. People make mistakes, doesnt sound like he denied what he did and he was open in the investigation. 

I would be sincerly disappointed with our organization if we took him this year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Taking a picture of someone in a sexual act without their knowledge or consent is pretty deviant, then showing that picture afterwards is absolutely stupid. I agree 17 year olds do stupid things but I don’t think it’s extremely common for people to take pictures during sex without the person in involved knowing about it. The media really hasn’t run this story or kid into the ground either, I’ve heard very little about this in the media actually. It’s just been a contested debate on this board over the last day with a couple people sitting on the wrong side of the fence. I agree that it doesn’t need to be talked about on here any longer as it’s kind of been best to death here and with him coming out and acknowledging it the way he did it’s a start in the right direction. But let’s stop just glossing over what he did if it’s going to be mentioned. At 17 you know right and wrong and should

be held accountable. He will be fine but he should also have to deal with all of this in the meantime

• Upvote 3

I do not think there is any dispute on how bad it is or why he should not have posted it............

But, as Marv points out, posting ones sex acts is not the norm........it is stupid, idiotic, insensitive, juvenile, illegal, etc, to post such things

But my point, is the act is not........

But again, social media is the vehicle........if it was not easily accessible, this issue would have been a local incident, and we would not have heard about it

I, in no way condone it, and he must make his atones, but we are contributing to the gossip

Time to move on, for us.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I do not think there is any dispute on how bad it is or why he should not have posted it............

But, as Marv points out, posting ones sex acts is not the norm........it is stupid, idiotic, insensitive, juvenile, illegal, etc, to post such things

But my point, is the act is not........

But again, social media is the vehicle........if it was not easily accessible, this issue would have been a local incident, and we would not have heard about it

I, in no way condone it, and he must make his atones, but we are contributing to the gossip

Time to move on, for us.

This is behind a paywall so I haven’t read it, perhaps someone with a subscription can summarize it for us.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that with Mailloux now out of the 2021 Draft, we can stop talking about him here. It could be its own thread for those that wish to debate his character.

The Canucks have the #9 and #41 in the first four rounds, how is VAN's prospect pool going to look after this weekend?

Current Grades?

C (Focht, Zlodeyev, Costmar) - D

RW (Podkolzin, Lind, Lockwood) - B

LW (Gadjovich, McDonough) - D

RD (Bowey, Woo, Persson) - D

LD (Juolevi, Rathbone, Jurmo) - B

G (DiPietro, Silovs) - C

IMO they need help at C, LW, RD, G

A C/LW like Johnson, Eklund or Svechkov would be very useful, or Brandt Clarke.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm hoping that with Mailloux now out of the 2021 Draft, we can stop talking about him here. It could be its own thread for those that wish to debate his character.

The Canucks have the #9 and #41 in the first four rounds, how is VAN's prospect pool going to look after this weekend?

Current Grades?

C (Focht, Zlodeyev, Costmar) - D

RW (Podkolzin, Lind, Lockwood) - B

LW (Gadjovich, McDonough) - D

RD (Bowey, Woo, Persson) - D

LD (Juolevi, Rathbone, Jurmo) - B

G (DiPietro, Silovs) - C

IMO they need help at C, LW, RD, G

A C/LW like Johnson, Eklund or Svechkov would be very useful, or Brandt Clarke.

Where were these grades pulled from?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I could forgive our organization if he becomes a top 4 RHD.

We are very different people then with different opinions. I wouldn't want him anywhere near our team until he has made full amends for his actions. People before hockey, that's what's important to me.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This is behind a paywall so I haven’t read it, perhaps someone with a subscription can summarize it for us.

According to the victim all she wanted was a heartfelt and sincerly apology. What she got was a 3 line text message back. Then to the police the kid claimed she was "just trying to ruin his life". This kid has a long way to go before he can be concidered even a half decent human being.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Is there a player at 9 that would make anyone mad if we drafted them? I’m open to so many players at 9 that I think the worst move we could make is to trade the pick, unless it’s a massive reach I won’t be upset. There’s 14 or 15 position players I’d be extremely happy with, some more then others but I think I’ll be happy with the result regardless 

6 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Is there a player at 9 that would make anyone mad if we drafted them? I’m open to so many players at 9 that I think the worst move we could make is to trade the pick, unless it’s a massive reach I won’t be upset. There’s 14 or 15 position players I’d be extremely happy with, some more then others but I think I’ll be happy with the result regardless 

Oh man I'm going to take heat for this....Svechkov.

I do not doubt he is an awesome prospects, and I totally acknowledge what he brings to the table. But I'm hoping this is our last time picking in the top 10, and this team needs some elite talent to round out the big positions. I would much rather see the team shoot for the moon with a guy like Johnson who has potential to be a elite players then take a safe bet NHL player.

If Svech is our guy I will totally support him and I'm sure he will become an amazing player. But personally I'm hoping we come out swinging for the fences this year.

Edited by shayster007

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Oh man I'm going to take heat for this....Svechkov.

I do not doubt he is an awesome prospects, and I totally acknowledge what he brings to the table. But I'm hoping this is our last time picking in the top 10, and this team needs some elite talent to round out the big positions. I would much rather see the team shoot for the moon with a guy like Johnson who has potential to be a elite players then take a safe bet NHL player.

If Svech is our guy I will totally support him and I'm sure he will become an amazing player. But personally I'm hoping we come out swinging for the fences this year.

I think that’s a fair assessment, Johnson tops my list of guys I think will be available to us and would love us to take him, Svechkov is one of the guys I’d be happy with but he’s closer to the back end of my list on that 14 or 15 guys. I absolutely love what Johnson could

bring to our lineup whether that’s playing with Pettersson in the future and seeing what those dynamos could do to opposing defences or playing on a line with Horvat and giving him a truly gifted offensive winger to bring even more out of him

52 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

The woman is likely mortified by the situation. That's why police were brought into the subject. Him dropping out if the draft is only the first step in his journey to become a decent human. There should always be consequences for your actions. In this kids case, the consequences are him delaying his possible NHL career. In another teens case maybe he gets fired from his job, or publically ostracized at school. Bigger stakes should lead to bigger consequences, and hopefully this kid can grow and become a better person because of it.

From all accounts the kid has a lot of talent. If he stays in the draft this year, he slips until some organizations puts their morals aside and drafts him. That's a lose lose situation. No team should have to be deciding at what point they have to disregard human decency for the chance to become a better team. He can sit out this year, prove he is dedicated to becoming a better person because of his mistake, and hopefully get a clean slate to work with next year if he has earned that right. That or he doesn't do anything to make amends, or has further antics and never gets drafted. If that's the case, so be it.

Realistically the kid hasn't done anything to make amends yet. But he has made a positive first step. He has said and done the right things likely under the advise of his parents or agent. Hopefully he is committed to being a better person and comes back stronger because of it. Until then, good riddance.

Without shadow of a doubt the woman will be mortified otherwise she wouldn't have brought in the police. Sharing it was moronic as well...

However, does anyone know, if this is the only act the boy has done to show remorse? I'm not aware of more than reading here, but for all we know, he may already have contacted the woman in question and apologised, or show other kind of remorse we don't know about...

EDIT... after reading more posts, it seems like hasn't really shown remorse, and is just a dick... 

This all goes without saying its looks like the moronic actions of a immature young man, whos morale compass needs to be severely adjusted. Hopefully for him, this will change him.

On another note I do hope for the girl, that she will be able to carry on with her life without too much problems... Its not as if she's done something terrible or unusual... 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

According to the victim all she wanted was a heartfelt and sincerly apology. What she got was a 3 line text message back. Then to the police the kid claimed she was "just trying to ruin his life". This kid has a long way to go before he can be concidered even a half decent human being.

Not to mention the kids agent sounds like human garbage. When asked for a statement he originally referred the writer back to Maillouxs apology statement but shortly after reached out saying he wanted to provide information to give context to the situation but that it was to be strictly off the record. When the writer informed him he was only looking for on the record information the agent responded with "sounds like the motivation here is very clear". The agent also added that he wanted to provide off the record context before "the angry cancel culture mob gets (Mailloux) in its grasp"

Edit: Just thought I'd add the kids agent that said these things is named Dylan Liptrap :lol:

Anyway getting to more team relevant draft day topics, I'm really torn on what I want to see happen with our first pick. I would be really happy if we got one of McTavish, Svechkov or even Guenther. I'm very doubtful that Clarke will be there and I'm really not sold on Johnson, I'm concerned about how much he plays from the perimeter although his skill level in the NCAA is undeniable. I'd also be happy with dropping back a few spots and taking Ceulemans, he's someone I've watched everything I can on and really feel like he's going to exceed expectations, especially if it means we can get an extra 2nd rounder now that we've traded this year's 3rd for Dickinson.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1