The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

You have 7 & 8 switched around but it wouldn’t change the players based on who you chose

Sanjose picks 7th

LA picks 8th

Decent list, Either way we are getting a good player 

I’ve seen mocks ya taking Mctavish, Johnson, Hughes, Edvinsson, Guenther

Doesn't get much better then that

Lol, whoops. But yeah that probably makes more sense. 8 is slightly less of a reach on Sillinger I guess. I'm actually quite confident with that top six the way I have it. Last year I would have nailed the first six but had Stutzle and Byfield flipped.

38 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think they did run a bit of a smoke screen with Cody Glass in the Pete draft. 

Podkolzin and Hughes were BPA

Virtanen the rumors were true

Don't really remember rumors around Juolevi. I wanted Sergachev we needed a RHD still do weird? 

I see this supposed interest in Sillinger as perhaps an attempt to gauge interest from other teams who may want to trade up.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

OJ was unlucky with injuries that couldn't have been predicted, and didn't have the character issues of Tkachuk.  The pick made sense.

Yup, other than I would have gone with Sergachev.....

regards,  G.

43 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lots projecting Johnson at #9. I'm generally a little skeptical of these kinds of players, the 'absolute pure skill' guys.

Casey Mittelstadt comes to mind, Alex Nylander, to a lesser extent Drouin, I was also skeptical of Zegras, exc . Just because they have huge talent doesn't mean that will always translate to high point production. Time+space is limited in the NHL, you also need other attributes to turn that skill into big time production/star potential.

But that's not a direct criticism of Johnson. I'm curious what people here (that have been following closer) think about how Johnson's game will translate - what other attributes does he have (or not have) - compared to these types of players in the past?

Outside of Johnson; I don't think McTavish is going to be there for us, sounds like a big riser (#4 on Bob's list) but I'm starting to really like him.

All along I've been secretly hoping Guenther would fall to us. Seems like a complete package winger who could definitely be an impact player. 

I think he is going to create space for himself with his tremedous puck handling and shiftiness even in the NHL. I watched lots of videos and he protected the puck very well, dangled in order to slow down the play meanwhile watching for teammates who are open.

An attribute that really stands out for me is Johnson's work ethic, he is relentless in getting better every day. He's not only well aware of his strengths but also of his weaknesses. 

Not sure if the players you mentioned are good comparables. Mittelstadt for example was excellent in the transition game in his draft year, skated very well through the neutral zone and had clear zone entries, but Mittelstadt doesn't have Johnson's skill and work ethic. Mittelstadt played C in his draft year whereas Johnson played on the wing last season. I don't think Mittelstadt is a good comparable.

do you really mean Alex Nylander? - not William Nylander? I don't know much about Alex Nylander. Haven't followed him much. I know he was drafted very high by the Buffalo Sabres but couldn't live up to expectations. Do not even know on what team he is currently on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottydzik said:

He’s a wildcard as is Johnson if mac t or Clarke are off board I’m taking calls on the pick and trading down and getting assists and selecting ceulemans or lambos

I've thought about this very thing, but what has always scared me off (a bit), is just how far do you trade down?

In some lists Cuelemans and Lambos are perhaps 10 (or more) spots lower than where the Canucks currently pick. I might trade a few spots down or maybe as many as 5 (depending on what I was hearing about other teams), but not as many as 10. 

regards,  G.

13 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

What's funny about this "rumour" is that there's no way in H E double hockey stick any team would honestly give out information on who they're targeting. 

I mostly agree with you (I'm just the messenger). That said, GMs obviously talk to other GMs about their draft intentions and who they respectively like as players. Scouts do the same thing. Lots of trades made just prior to and on the draft floor for this very reason, especially contingency arrangements/agreements, and this info does leak out on occasion whether it be on purpose or not.  Like I said previously, I really hope we go with BPA though.

Edited by RWJC

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

If they're looking to go a little off the board, I'm hoping for Coronato; guy is another Bo.

after you mentioned Coronato some days ago i read some scouting reports on him. All I can say is that I like very much what scouts said about him. I think Cole Sillinger has an advantage of Coronato because of his frame and his elite shot arsenal.

I would be O.k with Canucks taking Sillinger.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

What a ruse.

Everyone knows Benning picks right.

Put the news out that Sillinger is the guy.

Pick Johnson.

What a ruse.

"There is a chance he ends up with the Vancouver Canucks" . To me that sounds like a pure speculation. There is always a chance as we all know. Some times the chance is only 5% like in this case, other times the chance for another player is 70%. He is a fallback option. That's at least my take from this "report".

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is more speculative than rumour.  There is zero chance we draft this guy unless we are trading down, and collecting another second.  

Friendly wager: You owe me 5 cats from your cupboard if the Nux indeed draft him.
If they don't, I'll go shopping for you at the SPCA.

Deal, or is that too rich for your Melmacian blood?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

"There is a chance he ends up with the Vancouver Canucks" . To me that sounds like a pure speculation. There is always a chance as we all know. Some times the chance is only 5% like in this case, other times the chance for another player is 70%. He is a fallback option. That's at least my take from this "report".

"The Vancouver Canucks general manager acknowledged Monday that selecting a centre and a defenceman are priorities with the ninth overall pick Friday and 41st on Saturday. And he knows a number of coveted players should be available. So, swing away."

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-jim-benning-buoyed-by-draft-options-in-a-challenging-scouting-year

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I mostly agree with you (I'm just the messenger). That said, GMs obviously talk to other GMs about their draft intentions and who they respectively like as players. Scouts do the same thing. Lots of trades made just prior to and on the draft floor for this very reason, especially contingency arrangements/agreements, and this info does leak out on occasion whether it be on purpose or not.  Like I said previously, I really hope we go with BPA though.

For sure, I just mean to say that of course they're looking at him, as they're looking at all of the players throughout the draft, but that this certainly isn't a given that they're picking him, as no team would state their certainty to anyone - whispers on "we like this guy" or "we like that guy", but not "we're taking this guy". 

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

after you mentioned Coronato some days ago i read some scouting reports on him. All I can say is that I like very much what scouts said about him. I think Cole Sillinger has an advantage of Coronato because of his frame and his elite shot arsenal.

I would be O.k with Canucks taking Sillinger.

I like Coronato's ability to use his teammates around him in all the right ways, which is something Sillinger hasn't quite shown. Of course, either could be great picks that I'd be happy to have, especially if Benning & Co. deem them to be the BPA at #9. Either way, we're getting a great prospect that I can't wait for. Yippee!!! :frantic::towel:

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lots projecting Johnson at #9. I'm generally a little skeptical of these kinds of players, the 'absolute pure skill' guys.

Casey Mittelstadt comes to mind, Alex Nylander, to a lesser extent Drouin, I was also skeptical of Zegras, exc . Just because they have huge talent doesn't mean that will always translate to high point production. Time+space is limited in the NHL, you also need other attributes to turn that skill into big time production/star potential.

But that's not a direct criticism of Johnson. I'm curious what people here (that have been following closer) think about how Johnson's game will translate - what other attributes does he have (or not have) - compared to these types of players in the past?

Outside of Johnson; I don't think McTavish is going to be there for us, sounds like a big riser (#4 on Bob's list) but I'm starting to really like him.

All along I've been secretly hoping Guenther would fall to us. Seems like a complete package winger who could definitely be an impact player. 

You can search some of my posts in this thread as I've broken down a few things on Johnson. One post in particular, I use some video examples to show why I think he has translatable skills, but also address two of his supposed negatives, in secondary points and size, while addressing what I think are his weaknesses as well.

He isn't afraid to work along the boards or take a hit to make a play, and he is fairly adept at making a really nice play under pressure from defenders. And for his size, his puck protection/boardwork is actually fairly impressive. He also shows really nice anticipation on the defensive side, breaking up plays when the other team is trying to breakout, and makes an effort to get back when needed. He isn't a defensive genius by any means, but his work ethic allows him to be adequate.

I'm a big fan of his skillset, but moreso the way he uses it. He isn't afraid to work for his chances or to create them. I'm not even sure I see him as anything more than a 60+ point player. But I think he has enough creativity in his game to allow him to make others around him better, which is what I really like.

I think Mittlestadt is a good example of a pure skill guy, but I don't think he and Johnson are all that similar. Alex Nylander has always been a skilled puck hog to me. I've never liked the way he uses his skillset, and I think that's what has held his development back. Zegras has more individual skill, but is probably who I see his game most similar too from your list.

46 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

What's funny about this "rumour" is that there's no way in H E double hockey stick any team would honestly give out information on who they're targeting. 

Teams obviously interview prospects prior to the draft, and those prospects they interviewed generally do get out.  I'd assume we have interviewed a number of options at this stage given how wide open the draft looks to be.  I agree though, who came out of those interviews at the top of the list are not getting out there, at least not 2 or 3 days prior to the draft.

17 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Huh, yeah I guess thats true. McTavish is also a desirable position like the D. I felt he was a great pick at 9 or so. Top 5 just seems a little high.

Same from what Ive seen from McTavish, hes a good player but don't think hes a top 5 pick. Lately though some of these "week of the draft" risers have been panning out, guys like I mentioned, Makar, Heiskenen, hell even our own Bo Horvat. We'll see, this draft is going be all over the map with the pandemic messing up all the scouting

If JB wants to draft a lower ranked player, then I hope he can pull off a trade, such as

Vcr trades 9oa and Loui Erickkson to Nashville for 17oa. Then we can select one of the 10-20 range prospects that’s still on the board. 

Edited by PistolPete13