The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

If JB wants to draft a lower ranked player, the I hope he can pull off a trade, such as

Vcr trades 9oa and Loui Erickkson to Nashville for 17oa. Then we can select one of the 10-20 range prospects that’s still on the board. 

The last time Benning pulled out of rank, and to the confusion of most fans, was Pettersson.

Benning will do fine.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

Sillinger is someone I like as a prospect, but not a Canucks' pick. Doesn't use his teammates very well, and I think we need to get a playmaker who can play defense.
As far as centers projected to go in the same range as Sillinger, I would rather get Svechkov.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

What's funny about this "rumour" is that there's no way in H E double hockey stick any team would honestly give out information on who they're targeting. 

That was my first thought. Not only does the original author seem to have any information linking the Canucks to Sillinger, but even if we were linked he would have zero inside information to know so. Teams are extremely tight lipped around the draft this time of year. Obviously we should look at Sillinger, he's gonna be a heck of a player. But this 'rumour' has no more substance then us taking a look at every other player in the first round

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Nave said:

Sillinger is someone I like as a prospect, but not a Canucks' pick. Doesn't use his teammates very well, and I think we need to get a playmaker who can play defense.
As far as centers projected to go in the same range as Sillinger, I would rather get Svechkov.

Interesting, both played with SKA St. Petersburg.  Same age demo. Another Russian to buddy up with Podkolzin especially as JB revealed he is looking for another Russian player to provide that camaraderie. I'd definitely be into this as our pick if it came down to it, but he's a defensive minded F and I think the prospect pool needs more offence driven F with an edge to them or dedicated O or D zone defensemen prospects. Either way I'd be drafting for O as it seems defensive minded forwards can be had much easier at the NHL level. Lots of players re-calibrated into that role during their careers once the O potential begins to dwindle.

On that note:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/russian-players-canucks-could-add-podkolzin

Edited by RWJC

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

What's funny about this "rumour" is that there's no way in H E double hockey stick any team would honestly give out information on who they're targeting. 

37 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

That was my first thought. Not only does the original author seem to have any information linking the Canucks to Sillinger, but even if we were linked he would have zero inside information to know so. Teams are extremely tight lipped around the draft this time of year. Obviously we should look at Sillinger, he's gonna be a heck of a player. But this 'rumour' has no more substance then us taking a look at every other player in the first round

That is very true but mistakes happen. Don't forget about when a member of the Lightning staff lost their draft sheet in the hotel lobby in Buffalo and someone posted it on social media.

Edit: Formatting issue

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

For sure, I just mean to say that of course they're looking at him, as they're looking at all of the players throughout the draft, but that this certainly isn't a given that they're picking him, as no team would state their certainty to anyone - whispers on "we like this guy" or "we like that guy", but not "we're taking this guy". 

I like Coronato's ability to use his teammates around him in all the right ways, which is something Sillinger hasn't quite shown. Of course, either could be great picks that I'd be happy to have, especially if Benning & Co. deem them to be the BPA at #9. Either way, we're getting a great prospect that I can't wait for. Yippee!!! :frantic::towel:

This seems somewhat backwards to me. Where are you getting this information?

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I don't know much about Coronato. But having watched Scouch's video and read other scouting reports, I know that Sillinger doesn't have the best passing numbers, and it's unclear how much that is him and how much it is the team around him. Scouch paints him as someone who has a lot of individual talent and does a lot for the team, but doesn't involve his teammates that much. That being said, he gets a fair amount of assists. 

That reminds me of his Scouching Report of Brandt Clarke. I found it surprisingly harsh. Clarke's passing numbers were worse than I expected. But then it became apparent that he has unreal vision, and tries to do things other players wouldn't think of. Although he doesn't complete as many of his passes as you would hope, a large amount of them are for dangerous scoring opportunities. I thought that Scouch didn't stress that enough. 

Edited by Nave

I’m wondering if more Canadians ar3 watching this than Americans.  In fact I’m thinking that even though we are 1/10th the population, ten times as many of us are watching.  Hate all the US teams, almost as much as I hate the other Canadian ones. 

Hate ‘em all!  Hate you too Seattle!  Losers! :gocan:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Nave said:

I don't know much about Coronato. But having watched Scouch's video and read other scouting reports, I know that Sillinger doesn't have the best passing numbers, and it's unclear how much that is him and how much it is the team around him. Scouch paints him as someone who has a lot of individual talent and does a lot for the team, but doesn't involve his teammates that much. That being said, he gets a fair amount of assists. 

That reminds me of his Scouching Report of Brandt Clarke. I found it surprisingly harsh. Clarke's passing numbers were worse than I expected. But then it became apparent that he has unreal vision, and tries to do things other players wouldn't think of. Although he doesn't complete as many of his passes as you would hope, a large amount of them are for dangerous scoring opportunities. I thought that Scouch didn't stress that enough. 

Ah. Sounds like you're putting an awful lot of eggs in one basket there. Scouch is decent, but just one resource. As I always say, the best thing is to watch the prospects yourself, but I get most people aren't going to do that. Luckily, there are other very good resources out there. Check out Smaht Scouting. They have some neat analytics stuff too, but also really detailed scouting reports. I'm told Recrutes is very reliable. Draft Analyst also gives great profiles, although his rankings are iffy. ISS and McKeens deserve some trust as they've been around forever, even if they're no longer the gold standard they once were. I'm sure there are other good ones too; I'm not as up on it as I used to be.

Anyways, I gave my thoughts on Scouch's Sillinger assessment here:

After watching expansion draft, I’m thinking there’s a chance that the Kraken take Wallstedt with the second overall. Vanacek could very well become their future star starter, but they might double down on their chances of having a future star goalie by taking Wallstedt. 

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Scouch does come to mind. Maybe Sillinger does use his teammates as well and/or it is a case of who he's playing with, and that's great if he does. I'm not knocking him, as I think he's a good pick, but I like Coronato's overall hockey sense more. I'd be happy with either pick, I just prefer one over the other at this point. 

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Has Sillinger committed to a school for next season yet?

No I don’t think so, he was loaned to the USHL when the WHL shut down.

“When we interviewed Cole he was a pretty impressive young man,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning, who also had special advisers Henrik and Daniel Sedin on the call. “Hanging around the rinks when his dad played, he knows what an NHL hockey life looks like. He’s got an NHL shot, is a relentless worker and a heck of a kid.”

Sillinger’s mettle was tested with the arrival of COVID-19. After a strong rookie WHL season, in which he amassed 53 points (22-31) in 48 games as a 16-year-old playing wing, a minor shoulder injury didn’t hold him back from making a big USHL impact last season in limited games. After being loaned to the Sioux Falls (South Dakota) Stampede when the WHL shut down, Sillinger led the last-place Western Conference team with 46 points (24-22) in just 31 games as a dominant centre.

• Cheers 4

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

"The Vancouver Canucks general manager acknowledged Monday that selecting a centre and a defenceman are priorities with the ninth overall pick Friday and 41st on Saturday. And he knows a number of coveted players should be available. So, swing away."

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-jim-benning-buoyed-by-draft-options-in-a-challenging-scouting-year

Here's hoping for another "home run"

• Vintage 2