The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

8 hours ago, 4petesake said:

No I don’t think so, he was loaned to the USHL when the WHL shut down.

“When we interviewed Cole he was a pretty impressive young man,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning, who also had special advisers Henrik and Daniel Sedin on the call. “Hanging around the rinks when his dad played, he knows what an NHL hockey life looks like. He’s got an NHL shot, is a relentless worker and a heck of a kid.”

Sillinger’s mettle was tested with the arrival of COVID-19. After a strong rookie WHL season, in which he amassed 53 points (22-31) in 48 games as a 16-year-old playing wing, a minor shoulder injury didn’t hold him back from making a big USHL impact last season in limited games. After being loaned to the Sioux Falls (South Dakota) Stampede when the WHL shut down, Sillinger led the last-place Western Conference team with 46 points (24-22) in just 31 games as a dominant centre.

Seems Brock Boeser-esque. I got time for that. Never have enough goal scorers. 

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

He'll be back to Medicine Hat next year. Already having played a year there he is ineligible for NCAA.

I wonder if the CHL ineligibility rule will change now that NCAA athletes can make money from their name?  Heard the Alabama QB will make over 1 million next year.  

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

can you connect the dots as a Canucks Hall of Famer? ::D

I think he’s one of those guys who physically matured into his man body early, so dominates amongst more physically immature bodies.  I really don’t see him improving a lot.  If he was great already, that’s fine, but he needs to improve quite a bit still to be an NHLer.  

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Centre - check

Size - check

Shot - check

Playmaking - check

Skating - Odd, but fine

Physicality - check

Strength - check

Hockey IQ - check

NHL bloodlines - check

What's not to like Alf?

I don’t know if I agree with those checks, plus I think he’s already matured physically.  I don’t see him improving much.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t know if I agree with those checks, plus I think he’s already matured physically.  I don’t see him improving much.  

You might be right, but having two bulls at the #1 and #2C spots would be good too.

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Sillinger - Podkolzin

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

You might be right, but having two bulls at the #1 and #2C spots would be good too.

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Sillinger - Podkolzin

I think the Canucks need to swing for the fences on this pick and take the highest upside. 

50 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

With the 9th overall pick in this year's entry draft, the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select one of these 5 players

Johnson

McTavish

Sillinger

Lucius

Edvinsson

I don’t think McTavish will be there honestly. 

Johnson wouldn’t surprise me if he wasn’t there either by the 9th pick. 

I think Sillinger, Lucious or Edvinsson could very well be there. 

The way this draft order shakes down will be interesting. Either way, I’ll be happy with whoever we draft. Just pick the damn BPA please. 

The Detroit trade today likely means they are not going to take a goalie I'd assume.  I assume we will have a chance to take 1 of Guenther, Hughes, Edvinsson, Johnson.  Keep it simple, take the 1 that is available.  I'll be pissed if we go with anyone outside of that top 9.

Just over 30 hours until all the speculation ends and Vancouver gets to announce their new top prospect. Really hoping for:

1. Clarke

2. Svechkov 

3. McTavish 

4. Hughes 

5. Johnson

That's the order I have them in for our pick but wouldn't be disappointed or upset if one of the lower ones was taken with a higher one available. Any one of those would be a fantastic addition to the team.

I know it's not the popular opinion but I'd also be really happy if we traded down and got an extra 2nd round pick and maybe a late pick as well and then took Ceulemans. I still think he is going to be one of the best dmen in this class and is just suffering from limited playing time this year and is going to have a big year at the U of Wisconsin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, RWJC said:

Interesting, both played with SKA St. Petersburg.  Same age demo. Another Russian to buddy up with Podkolzin especially as JB revealed he is looking for another Russian player to provide that camaraderie. I'd definitely be into this as our pick if it came down to it, but he's a defensive minded F and I think the prospect pool needs more offence driven F with an edge to them or dedicated O or D zone defensemen prospects. Either way I'd be drafting for O as it seems defensive minded forwards can be had much easier at the NHL level. Lots of players re-calibrated into that role during their careers once the O potential begins to dwindle.

On that note:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/russian-players-canucks-could-add-podkolzin

Barbashev would be great.

Nichushkin for a 2nd would be a very JB move.