The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

4 minutes ago, Nave said:

I think Edvinsson would be a great pick cause of his two way ability, skating, and size. His puck skills could be developed. 

However, I have Hughes higher because he was barely eligible for the 2021 draft, because of his birthday. So, he is almost a full year younger than other prospects, and has one more year of development left. 

We have guys with great puck skills. We need someone with reasonable puck skills and a much better intimidation factor, physically, who makes us harder to play against in our own end.

We need a Harold Snepsts with better hands and skating.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Miller and Horvat are only signed for two more seasons.  You must plan ahead.

Is Johnson the guy to replace either of them?

Maybe Brock.

If I'm realistic about both of their trajectories I would prefer a hulking 3/4 D over a soft 2LW and I think Eddi is more likely to at least hit his floor. 

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

We have guys with great puck skills. We need someone with reasonable puck skills and a much better intimidation factor, physically, who makes us harder to play against in our own end.

We need a Harold Snepsts with better hands and skating.

Between Edvinsson's puck skills and awareness (or lack thereof), and Hughes being a bit of a pushover at defending the blueline on neutral zone transitions, I think the latter is easier to develop, and the extra time helps.

That being said, Edvinsson has traits that are hard to find in combination with one another. A 5/5 skater in a 6'4 1/2 body? That's a unicorn. 
If he stops dumping the puck randomly upon retrieving it in the defensive zone, and gains the patience to move it up, he could be absolutely amazing. I do think that's coachable. 

1 minute ago, Nave said:

Between Edvinsson's puck skills and awareness (or lack thereof), and Hughes being a bit of a pushover at defending the blueline on neutral zone transitions, I think the latter is easier to develop, and the extra time helps.

That being said, Edvinsson has traits that are hard to find in combination with one another. A 5/5 skater in a 6'4 1/2 body? That's a unicorn. 
If he stops dumping the puck randomly upon retrieving it in the defensive zone, and gains the patience to move it up, he could be absolutely amazing. I do think that's coachable. 

Exactly! I would be happy with any of the top 4 D, in this draft, but I will really be shocked if Hughes is still there when we draft. However, I was shocked when Podkolzin was there at #10, and I was shocked when Quinn was there at #7 for us.

Weird $&!# happens on draft day!

• Hydration 1

21 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Is Johnson the guy to replace either of them?

Maybe Brock.

If I'm realistic about both of their trajectories I would prefer a hulking 3/4 D over a soft 2LW and I think Eddi is more likely to at least hit his floor. 

McTavish or Svechkov if we take a C.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

With this trade speculation swirling around something that hasn’t been mentioned is that Benning is going to wait to see who is available at 9th before making that decision 

if one of the defenseman drops I’m guessing he chooses them 

if there are only Johnson and Guenther left then he’s probably got a decision on his hands 

with Buffalo acquiring the 14th overall there may be an option of swapping picks with them and gaining a 2nd 

they could be interested in Walstedt and want to jump over Ottawa who are rumored to be interested as well. 

Will have to see if Walstedt goes before 9th

Edited by Off_The_Schneid!
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DS4quality said:

For OEL and garland and prospect.

Not confirmed just yet but seems close

at least I don't need to worry about watching the draft tonight then... crazy and unexpected!