The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If things go downhill then it wouldn’t be a bad idea to trade away some assets(Pearson/Hamonic/etc) and reset with the 2021 draft.

Gonna be a good year for defenseman. Among those, Luke Hughes.

Still a season ahead of us though.  

Hamonic got a NMC, but I agree. I doubt anyone waives their NMC's this year with all this Covid sh!t still happening.

Sutter, Benn and Pearson could draw some interest though. Might have to retain salary on a couple of them, but no big deal. Pearson should net a 2nd in a worst case scenario and could potentially fetch more depending on his play this year

It's only 3 games in this 56-game season, but I see a team that's not as good in net this year and that still struggle to score goals. Seeing as there are only 4 Canadian teams to make the playoffs, and they can't seem to beat WPG or MTL, I have doubts they'll be a playoff team this year, and so it makes the 2021 Draft more interesting for me. VAN might actually get a pretty high pick if they keep playing the way they are. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Hamonic got a NMC, but I agree. I doubt anyone waives their NMC's this year with all this Covid sh!t still happening.

Sutter, Benn and Pearson could draw some interest though. Might have to retain salary on a couple of them, but no big deal. Pearson should net a 2nd in a worst case scenario and could potentially fetch more depending on his play this year

I feel that divisional trades could be amplified. Also that a player from a Canadian division would be okay with moving to a different Canadian team

Lets say a team like the Habs are interested in a guy like Pearson but another Canadian team wants him as well as not want the Habs to acquire him. Could make for a sellers market.

Imagine if Edler was willing to move this year. I imagine the Flames/Oilers/Leafs would be willing to pay good for him.

• Cheers 1

Before I get flamed let me preface this by saying that I do not want the Canucks to tank and I’m not panicking lol. Also I do believe we have a good team and there’s a solid chance that we could bounce back soon. It’s only a matter of time until Petey, Hughes, Miller, etc, catch fire. 

Having said that, if there was one year to stumble, this might not be the worse year for several reasons:

1. this season is short and quick so it’ll be like ripping off a bandaid, rather than the prolonged pain of usual drawn out 82 game season

2. we really aren’t yet primed to make a consistent push for the cup, but we’ve got a lot of pieces in place for an eventual (hopeful) cup run a few years down the road. Many good young teams rise up one year, then take a step back, before making a leap forward. Take Colorado for example. 

3. we might be able to sign Hughes and Pettersson for a bit cheaper than what they would signed for if we were to go on a proper run, saving some valuable dollars to help build the team around them 

4. to the last point, we need to upgrade our bottom six and having a few extra dollars to sign a couple key pieces for those positions could be very valuable 

5. we’ve got a few pieces we could trade off at the deadline this year to pull in a few picks and prospects. And these pieces could likely all be replaced at below market value during next year’s free agency due to the flat cap. Just look at how many quality players we could’ve snagged this year if we just had some cap room

6. there look to be a lot of high end and big bodied defensemen in this year’s draft. Another top d man moving forward could massively help our team

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Before I get flamed let me preface this by saying that I do not want the Canucks to tank and I’m not panicking lol. Also I do believe we have a good team and there’s a solid chance that we could bounce back soon. It’s only a matter of time until Petey, Hughes, Miller, etc, catch fire. 

Having said that, if there was one year to stumble, this might not be the worse year for several reasons:

1. this season is short and quick so it’ll be like ripping off a bandaid, rather than the prolonged pain of usual drawn out 82 game season

2. we really aren’t yet primed to make a consistent push for the cup, but we’ve got a lot of pieces in place for an eventual (hopeful) cup run a few years down the road. Many good young teams rise up one year, then take a step back, before making a leap forward. Take Colorado for example. 

3. we might be able to sign Hughes and Pettersson for a bit cheaper than what they would signed for if we were to go on a proper run, saving some valuable dollars to help build the team around them 

4. to the last point, we need to upgrade our bottom six and having a few extra dollars to sign a couple key pieces for those positions could be very valuable 

5. we’ve got a few pieces we could trade off at the deadline this year to pull in a few picks and prospects. And these pieces could likely all be replaced at below market value during next year’s free agency due to the flat cap. Just look at how many quality players we could’ve snagged this year if we just had some cap room

6. there look to be a lot of high end and big bodied defensemen in this year’s draft. Another top d man moving forward could massively help our team

Luke Hughes is the tallest Hughes brother. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know they always say BPA, but positionally, what do the Canucks need most?

Centres

Wingers

D

Goalies

It looks like this is a very strong D draft, possibly the first 4-5 picks being Dmen. 

It all depends upon positioning in the first round. Sooo many talented dmen in top 10-15 picks. From there I'd say, we need more depth at center and picking up a goalie would be nice. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

C - Aatu Raty would be an interesting pick, but there are some good, mobile D in the Top 10.

Imagine a future D pairing of:

Hughes - Hughes

Looks like Ds Owen Power and Brandt Clarke could be the favourites to go #1 and #2

Jack Hughes would for sure jump ship as soon as he became a free agent! Some very nice d prospects at the top of the draft. 

• Cheers 1

Word out that Clark is a better player then powers right now power is just ultra appealing because he’s 6’5 anyways I think right is kinda early to call a tank I know we are talking about the draft abs this time around we do have a 1st rounder but it’s going to be Harder to scout due to limited travel. Scouts job for their work cut out for them.

I know we've got loads of young defencemen but there's going to be about 6 out of the top 10 D in this draft.

If we continue this sloppy play, Hughes might be perfect for us. Forget the brother connection, he's a big strong defenceman we don't really have in our unit going forward.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know we've got loads of young defencemen but there's going to be about 6 out of the top 10 D in this draft.

If we continue this sloppy play, Hughes might be perfect for us. Forget the brother connection, he's a big strong defenceman we don't really have in our unit going forward.

Well if you’re going perfect fit/big strong dman Owen Power is bigger and stronger than Luke Hughes. I wouldn’t complain with either of e we do have a bad year or lottery luck.

This Brandt Clarke kid sounds pretty great, very mobile, high hockey IQ, and some scouts feel he's just going to get better. He's a right-shot too.

I think the Canucks have the young forwards learning the NHL game (Pettersson, Hoglander, Gaudette, etc.), and Podkolzin, Lockwood, Focht and Zlodeyev developing. So, they may be okay going with D. Other than Juolevi, Woo and Rathbone, the Canucks don't have much talent in the D prospect pool. I guess we could throw Chatfield in there, but he's already an older prospect still trying to get to the big leagues.

I'm going to have to start looking at some prospects video, some good Dmen in the Top 10.

5 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

If we land in that 10-15 range we should take a shot at Jesper Wallstedt 

he he is dominating at the moment and we could use an elite goalie in the pipeline 

I think it's a waste to use such a high pick (that's a big if we get it) on a goalie.  That said, I know nothing about the guy you're talking about.