The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

37 minutes ago, nergish said:

Amen.
I still for the life of me can't understand why Rafferty hasn't gotten a look. Obviously he's getting aged out now, but I see a lot of skill every time I've watched him touch the ice.

Let's crash and burn!

6 pretty good PMDs among that group and not too shabby defensively either .... ofc it won't happen, Green isn't that imaginative

I really like 8 guys in this draft, my order may change, but this is just where I am at now.

1-Power-  Very good passer, solid skater, excellent size.  Probably needs another year at UM, but should be a top pair D.

2-Beniers- Excels in 3 zones, very good skater with great shot.  I think he eventually becomes our #2 C, with Bo anchoring a scoring/shutdown 3rd line.  I think he may be NHL ready as a winger next year.

3-Guenther- Good size, great skater, I think the best offensive player in the draft.  Could probably play in the NHL as early as next season.

4-Clarke- Best RHD in the draft, probably best defensive D on my list as well.  I get a Duncan Keith type feel from him.  Should be AHL eligible next year, which is a huger advantage

5-Johnson- Local kid with good size and crazy hands.  EP or Pat Kane comps are pretty legit.  I see him more as a wing at the NHL level.  Probably goes back to UM.

6-Eklund- Very talented, similar to Hoglander, but better skater.  Probably the weakest all around game on my list, but high end offensive potential.

7-Edvinsson- Great size but not physical.  Skates well, but very raw.  Probably won't see him until d+3 season.  I think he is similar to where Seider was in his draft year, not sure he has the same upside though.

8-Sillinger- Best shot in the draft, plays pretty physical as well.   Skates weird, needs work there.  Probably at least a year away.

Basically, we need high end skill with our first pick.  We need it throughout our lineup.  I feel any of these guys give us that.

Tons of size available in the 2nd round, we can add that here as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I really like 8 guys in this draft, my order may change, but this is just where I am at now.

2-Beniers- Excels in 3 zones, very good skater with great shot.  I think he eventually becomes our #2 C, with Bo anchoring a scoring/shutdown 3rd line.  I think he may be NHL ready as a winger next year.

It was meant to be.. Bo as a 3rd line center :bigblush:

• Cheers 1

Really liking Samu Salminen's game. If he's around for our 2nd I could get excited about picking him. He's been great on special teams and lights out in the dot! He plays a power game and has a lethal shot to boot.  Could he be our 3C? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

I am 100% down to tank the next 2 seasons. You'd be foolish not to if ur team is bad. &^@#ing game changing players with the next ovi and mcdavid... 

This is such a loser’s mentality for a couple players you’re not even guaranteed to get. Not to mention we’re not at that stage of our rebuild. Good luck selling this to aquaman lol. 

53 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I am 100% down to tank the next 2 seasons. You'd be foolish not to if ur team is bad. &^@#ing game changing players with the next ovi and mcdavid... 

15 yr old Michkov is signed to the KHL til 2026. so it maybe a long wait

https://www.ska.ru/en/news/view/ska-dostigh-doghovoriennosti-o-novom-kontraktie-s-matvieiem-michkovym/

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

This is such a loser’s mentality for a couple players you’re not even guaranteed to get. Not to mention we’re not at that stage of our rebuild. Good luck selling this to aquaman lol. 

Theres no point in selling to aquaman cuz this team just sucks. I mean its not bad if we dont have injuries but injuries are bound to happen. What can aquaman even do... 

1 minute ago, HighOnHockey said:

You guys are kidding, right? You really think he's going to stay in KHL until 2026?

His draft year is 2023, so the earliest he can play is 2024. So a team needs to wait 3 seasons for him. I mean we waited 2 seasons for Pod. Its unlikely his KHL team will let him off his contract

OK, so about Samu Tuomaala... what the hell? This kids' skill level bonkers. I've consistently cited Johnson, Lysell and Chibrikov as the most purely skilled players in the class, but Tuomaala has to be considered somewhere in that ballpark. Plus his hockey IQ and tenacity look high end. This is only my second game watching him, plus a shift-by-shift on youtube, but kid looks like a possible top 20 pick. How has he flown so far under the radar?

7 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

His draft year is 2023, so the earliest he can play is 2024. So a team needs to wait 3 seasons for him. I mean we waited 2 seasons for Pod. Its unlikely his KHL team will let him off his contract

Yeah I'm not buying it. I don't know anything about the transfer agreement situation, but we've seen it enough before, with Malkin jumping ship, or Radulov ditching his NHL contract to go back to Russia. This isn't Podkolzin or Kaprizov we're talking about, this kid looks borderline generational. Not to mention a late birthday so he'll be almost 19 by the time he is eligible to play in the NHL. If he is able to make the jump right in and be a star player, you really think he's not going to jump at the opportunity to come to the best league in the world?

• Upvote 1

Some interesting comparables I've read here and there:

Beniers - TOEWS

Power - HEDMAN, BYFUGLIEN, BURNS

Clarke - E. KARLSSON

Guenther - HUBERDEAU, NUGENT-HOPKINS

Wallstedt - PRICE

Cuelemans - MAKAR

Others?