The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Along with Simon Edvinsson, I'd say he's the biggest boom/bust type prospect in the draft. Crazy skill level. Fast and highly dynamic skater, elite hands. The type of player who can make something out of nothing. But lots of question marks. He struggles to win puck battles, both from a lack of size and what seems to be a lack of aggressiveness. His effort level away from the puck is pretty inconsistent, especially in the defensive zone.

Looking at our young guns...........we need...........

#1.........RHD...........................Clarke (1 to 6) Ceulemens (12 to 18) Morrow (26 to 34 ) Mailloux (16 to 50) Schmidt ( 55 ish ) 

#2.........3rd line center ...........Beniers (1 to 3 ), Sillinger (11 to 14), McTavish ( 12 to 14 ), Raty ( 12 to 16 ), Svechkov ( 16 to 34 ) 

#3.........LW .............................Eklund ( 4 to 8 ) Johnson ( 5 to 11), Sillinger (11 to 14), Coronato ( 12 to 16)

#4.........G ...............................Wallstedt ( 4 to 12), Cossa ( 9 to 24 )

#5.........RW ...........................Guenthers (3 to 6), Lucius (8 to 14), Lysell (8 to 20)

#6.........LHD...........................Power (1 to 3), Edvinsson ( 2 to 5 ), Hughes (1 to 10), Lambos (9 to 22)

So, 20 players in the top 12 (LOL).......it's wide open guys!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Looking at our young guns...........we need...........

#1.........RHD...........................Clarke (1 to 6) Ceulemens (12 to 18) Morrow (26 to 34 ) Mailloux (16 to 50) Schmidt ( 55 ish ) 

#2.........3rd line center ...........Beniers (1 to 3 ), Sillinger (11 to 14), McTavish ( 12 to 14 ), Raty ( 12 to 16 ), Svechkov ( 16 to 34 ) 

#3.........LW .............................Eklund ( 4 to 8 ) Johnson ( 5 to 11), Sillinger (11 to 14), Coronato ( 12 to 16)

#4.........G ...............................Wallstedt ( 4 to 12), Cossa ( 9 to 24 )

#5.........RW ...........................Guenthers (3 to 6), Lucius (8 to 14), Lysell (8 to 20)

#6.........LHD...........................Power (1 to 3), Edvinsson ( 2 to 5 ), Hughes (1 to 10), Lambos (9 to 22)

So, 20 players in the top 12 (LOL).......it's wide open guys!

I dont think we need to take a goalie with our 1st rd pick tbh

• Cheers 1

Keep an eye on McTavish as a potential Canucks target if we pick around 7th. He's going to start creeping up different draft boards. A complete centre who knows how to score. Captaining the U-18's and has 11 points in 6 games. He's part of the next wave of great Canadian talent, and I think there's a very good chance that some team will take him in the top-10.

• Cheers 2

McTavish top five would be a mistake. I see a very good NHL player, little doubt there. But there's much higher upside players available at that point. Around seven, I guess I wouldn't be too shocked, but depending who else is on the board, I would most likely be pretty disappointed if the Canucks picked him there.

Some finals thoughts on the U17s from me:

Corson Ceuleman stood out in the gold medal game. Love his evasive maneuvering and decision making under pressure. I was slightly disappointed with Guenther throughout the tournament. I've had him ranked around seven for a while now, but I was kinda expecting him to move up my list with this tournament, and I just can't say that was the case. Still a great prospect, but he didn't do enough to pass any of the guys I have ahead of him. Brennan Othmann was the biggest surprise for Canada for me. I've had him ranked towards the end of my first round, but he'll be moving up a ways by the time I figure out my final rankings. I've always known he has skill, but I was really impressed with his physical play. I know some people are really high on Francesco Pinelli, but I just can't say he stood up much to me, despite the offensive numbers. I also liked Nolan Allen and Guillaume Richard on the back end - Allen can really skate for a big kid, and Richard has some serious skill and isn't afraid to use it. What a stacked D that was for Canada - hell, what a stacked team altogether.

I've had Brandt Clarke number one on my list for a while now, and to be honest I was watching closely for mistakes to see if maybe I've made a mistake there. Nope. He's my guy. I only watched two Sweden games, but I didn't notice Simon Robertsson much, which was disappointing as I was pretty high on him. Still a very solid NHL prospect but not sure about the upside. Lysell will likely be moving up my list. His skill has always been obvious, but I've had major concerns about his team concept in the past; seems like he's really maturing as a player over the past year - my only real concern now is with his size and physical play. I already have Svechkov quite a bit higher than most rankings, but I might just have to move him up after that gold medal game performance. Talk about clutch. I don't even know if he had any points but it was easily his best game of the tournament, probably one of the best games I've seen him play. I haven't usually thought of him as that much of a physical presence, but he looked like he was battling for his life in this one, and driving the puck into heavily contested areas of the ice like I've never seen from him before.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Wright is going to be one special player. If we manage to move up and win the lotto next season, he’ll be one hell of a pick. Scored a goal right now in the U18 gold medal game

I'd rather Bedard. I saw somewhere Wright is more like Tavares and Bedard is more like Mcdavid 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

McTavish top five would be a mistake. I see a very good NHL player, little doubt there. But there's much higher upside players available at that point. Around seven, I guess I wouldn't be too shocked, but depending who else is on the board, I would most likely be pretty disappointed if the Canucks picked him there.

Corson Ceuleman stood out in the gold medal game. Love his evasive maneuvering and decision making under pressure. I was slightly disappointed with Guenther throughout the tournament. I've had him ranked around seven for a while now, but I was kinda expecting him to move up my list with this tournament, and I just can't say that was the case. Still a great prospect, but he didn't do enough to pass any of the guys I have ahead of him. Brennan Othmann was the biggest surprise for Canada for me. I've had him ranked towards the end of my first round, but he'll be moving up a ways by the time I figure out my final rankings. I've always known he has skill, but I was really impressed with his physical play. I know some people are really high on Francesco Pinelli, but I just can't say he stood up much to me, despite the offensive numbers. I also liked Nolan Allen and Guillaume Richard on the back end - Allen can really skate for a big kid, and Richard has some serious skill and isn't afraid to use it. What a stacked D that was for Canada - hell, what a stacked team altogether.

I've had Brandt Clarke number one on my list for a while now, and to be honest I was watching closely for mistakes to see if maybe I've made a mistake there. Nope. He's my guy. I only watched two Sweden games, but I didn't notice Simon Robertsson much, which was disappointing as I was pretty high on him. Still a very solid NHL prospect but not sure about the upside. Lysell will likely be moving up my list. His skill has always been obvious, but I've had major concerns about his team concept in the past; seems like he's really maturing as a player over the past year - my only real concern now is with his size and physical play. I already have Svechkov quite a bit higher than most rankings, but I might just have to move him up after that gold medal game performance. Talk about clutch. I don't even know if he had any points but it was easily his best game of the tournament, probably one of the best games I've seen him play. I haven't usually thought of him as that much of a physical presence, but he looked like he was battling for his life in this one, and driving the puck into heavily contested areas of the ice like I've never seen from him before.

We must see the game the same, I agree with many of your thoughts. I also was watching for Guenther to stand out, but he just didn't wow me. I get Dal Colle vibes from him for whatever reason. I think he will end up better as Dal Colle has seriously underwhelmed. And same with Pinelli, he just doesn't do it for me, he almost looks awkward out there to me?

McTavish compete is really nice, and I like his overall package, but I very much want skill with our pick, so I would also be a little disappointed depending on where we pick.

I'm still all aboard the Clarke, Johnson and Eklund train. I feel each of these guys has that 'it' factor that can let them be legitimate stars in the league in their prime. They each have their weaknesses as well, but I feel the upside is too great with these 3 in particular.

Overall, the young guys dominated the U18's in impressive fashion. I've noted the other players who stood out to me in my other posts, but you can just tell with some of these young guys that there is some serious talent coming up in the next few years.

12 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

We must see the game the same, I agree with many of your thoughts. I also was watching for Guenther to stand out, but he just didn't wow me. I get Dal Colle vibes from him for whatever reason. I think he will end up better as Dal Colle has seriously underwhelmed. And same with Pinelli, he just doesn't do it for me, he almost looks awkward out there to me?

McTavish compete is really nice, and I like his overall package, but I very much want skill with our pick, so I would also be a little disappointed depending on where we pick.

I'm still all aboard the Clarke, Johnson and Eklund train. I feel each of these guys has that 'it' factor that can let them be legitimate stars in the league in their prime. They each have their weaknesses as well, but I feel the upside is too great with these 3 in particular.

Overall, the young guys dominated the U18's in impressive fashion. I've noted the other players who stood out to me in my other posts, but you can just tell with some of these young guys that there is some serious talent coming up in the next few years.

Yup. Sounds like you also see the game the right way. I can't make up my mind on Johnson though. I love so much about his game, but see the occasional stupid/risky decision and I think maybe I blow them out of proportion. Early in the season I had him top three or four, but after watching closely and picking apart his game I dropped him down around eight or nine,but after watching a couple shift-by-shifts recently, I think I may have over-corrected and need to meet in the middle somewhere.

Edited by HighOnHockey

Personally I don't see why Edvinsson would go any higher than 5-6. To me he doesn't scream high offense. Sure the guy is big and can skate and he may eventually put it all together but he's still very raw and can't really be compared to a Hedman / Ekblad / Seider who had the offense as well. If Canucks are drafting in 7-8 range and he's still available I might take a look at him depending on who is still available as I feel the range of 7-10 is more where he deserves to sit. 

11 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

I'd rather Bedard. I saw somewhere Wright is more like Tavares and Bedard is more like Mcdavid 

Well I don’t think it’s a would you rather as I’m sure everyone would rather Bedard but that’s two years away. The hype is closer for Wright as he’s only a year away. His skating is faster and better than Tavares at that age I’d probably say he’s more of a Stamkos.

14 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Keep an eye on McTavish as a potential Canucks target if we pick around 7th. He's going to start creeping up different draft boards. A complete centre who knows how to score. Captaining the U-18's and has 11 points in 6 games. He's part of the next wave of great Canadian talent, and I think there's a very good chance that some team will take him in the top-10.

He's basically Ryan Getzlaf to me.  He would be a great addition to any team's prospect pool.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

12 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

Yeah definitely don't see Guenther as someone I'd be excited about.  Probably not ideal to base it all on one tournament, but given the level of competition, I would have expected more from him. 

I think Ceulemans definitely moved up for most people.  Same with Othmann.  If Stankoven had more size, he'd go up the charts too. 

I think Clarke goes Top 5 after that tournament along with Power, Beniers, Hughes, and Edvinsson (yes, I think the Swede is still a Top 5 commodity in this draft)

If the Canucks can somehow land Clarke or Ceulemans out of this draft, I'd be extremely happy.

Edited by HKSR

5 hours ago, TGokou said:

Personally I don't see why Edvinsson would go any higher than 5-6. To me he doesn't scream high offense. Sure the guy is big and can skate and he may eventually put it all together but he's still very raw and can't really be compared to a Hedman / Ekblad / Seider who had the offense as well. If Canucks are drafting in 7-8 range and he's still available I might take a look at him depending on who is still available as I feel the range of 7-10 is more where he deserves to sit. 

Interesting. I've seen him upward of 10 times (U17s, 5NU17s, U18s and SHL) and and this has not been my impression. I'm not a fan of Edvinsson (I have him ranked 11th), but his offensive talent is tremendous. The skating is obvious, and it is not just speed, but agility too. But also his hands are ridiculously high end for a defenseman. The problem is his defensive play, which was absolutely brutal when I first saw him at 2019 U17s. It does look like it has improved somewhat, but I'm worried he just doesn't think the game at a high enough level so that he's easily baited into making bad reads and reactions by elite players. If that's the case he has no chance in the NHL:. Of course I may be wrong, and it could be some specific things that are easy to fix, and if that's the case and he can put it all together, then yeah, he could end up the best player of the draft, but personally I wouldn't touch this player anywhere near the top five. Even top ten I'd be hesitant.

As I've mentioned somewhere before, he's a great case study of what if Jeremie Poirier was 6'5. Poirier from last year's draft, was a very similar player, where he has all the skill in the world, but just doesn't think the game at a high enough level defensively. After being ranked top 20 in McKenzie's pre-season rankings, Poirier ended up falling to the 3rd round. But scouts see Edvinsson's combination of size, skating and puck skills, and they must be thinking that if he can even learn to play half decent defense, his size and reach will go a long way in his own zone.

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Interesting. I've seen him upward of 10 times (U17s, 5NU17s, U18s and SHL) and and this has not been my impression. I'm not a fan of Edvinsson (I have him ranked 11th), but his offensive talent is tremendous. The skating is obvious, and it is not just speed, but agility too. But also his hands are ridiculously high end for a defenseman. The problem is his defensive play, which was absolutely brutal when I first saw him at 2019 U17s. It does look like it has improved somewhat, but I'm worried he just doesn't think the game at a high enough level so that he's easily baited into making bad reads and reactions by elite players. If that's the case he has no chance in the NHL:. Of course I may be wrong, and it could be some specific things that are easy to fix, and if that's the case and he can put it all together, then yeah, he could end up the best player of the draft, but personally I wouldn't touch this player anywhere near the top five. Even top ten I'd be hesitant.

As I've mentioned somewhere before, he's a great case study of what if Jeremie Poirier was 6'5. Poirier from last year's draft, was a very similar player, where he has all the skill in the world, but just doesn't think the game at a high enough level defensively. After being ranked top 20 in McKenzie's pre-season rankings, Poirier ended up falling to the 3rd round. But scouts see Edvinsson's combination of size, skating and puck skills, and they must be thinking that if he can even learn to play half decent defense, his size and reach will go a long way in his own zone.

I can think of another recent draft pick Joni Jurmo that is much the same. Was ranked pretty high and then fell to us. Had the skating and a big guy but made bad errors and offense wasn't quite there. I'm not suggesting Edvinsson will fall nearly that far but would not be surprised if he fell out off top 10. Also his shot is quite weak so that's definitely not one of his strengths.