The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not crazy about Holtby's salary, but I'm not so sure I'm ready to see DiPietro as a regular backup. If they can move Holtby at the trade deadline I'm ok with that. 

Broissot is our guy if we can fit him.

Vanacek if we wanna go cheaper and can acquire him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Broissot is our guy if we can fit him.

Vanacek if we wanna go cheaper and can acquire him.

I'd love to snag broissot . Local kid , kills us when ever we play him, fairly young still(for a goalie)@ 28, Cheap. And of course.. we have  Ian Clark to make him even better. 

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What could be worse than the draft going at a snail's pace?

If a team takes a timeout during the seventh round.

Seventh inning stretch?

Just be glad that they stopped going to nine rounds, although the Canucks did get Hansen from a 9th round pick...

regards,  G.

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Huh. I guess Judd must have dressed up as Delorme to push drafting Petterson….. 

All joking aside (before you blow a gasket), Judd did a good job. It’s just disingenuous to give him credit for all our good picks and somehow remove him from responsibility for our less impressive ones.

it’s like Brackett has served as the primary excuse for anything good that has happened in the organization so people who don’t like Benning don’t have to give him credit for anything good that happens.  

No gasket's in danger here.  Just wanted to correct with some facts.  He wasn't God, but did a heck of a lot for his short time being our chief of amateur drafting.  I just think he deserves a bit of respect. Jake was Jim's first and solo decision, before Brackett was hired. Brackett's first #1 pick rec was Boeser.  Joulevi was JB putting his foot down on the pick the next draft. After that he decided it best to go with Judd's, thank the real God.  Judd also did a lot with lower picks with his connections in the US college and eastern US leagues. There just wasn't much to criticize him for. He hit home runs, in the first round but also in later rounds.  And JB gets credit for supporting those decisions. It was a team effort of course.

As far as Pettersson, Delorme was one of a number of voices pushing for him, most notably Thomas Gradin, our Swedish scouting connection.  I'd hardly use Delorme as an example of great amateur insight though, he was the chief amateur scout for decades, the decades we SUCKED at drafting. One of the things Gillis was criticized for, and rightly so, as the buck stops with him. But firing Delorme, and revamping that department was, according to Gillis one of his biggest regrets.  Brackett did some impressive work here.  Not going to bash JB for how they parted ways in this thread. But you gotta acknowledge Judd's value to the present team we have, that's all.

25 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Huh. I guess Judd must have dressed up as Delorme to push drafting Petterson….. 

All joking aside (before you blow a gasket), Judd did a good job. It’s just disingenuous to give him credit for all our good picks and somehow remove him from responsibility for our less impressive ones.

it’s like Brackett has served as the primary excuse for anything good that has happened in the organization so people who don’t like Benning don’t have to give him credit for anything good that happens.  

I’ve never been clear on why this remains an issue. Jim is responsible for every pick, good and bad. The scouting department was all either hired or retained by him and he relies on input from all of them. He signs off on the final pick and his reputation is forever tied to the success of the pick as is Brackett’s and everyone else in the department. Too many misses by a scout and they get fired, same as GMs.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 4petesake said:

I’ve never been clear on why this remains an issue. Jim is responsible for every pick, good and bad. The scouting department was all either hired or retained by him and he relies on input from all of them. He signs off on the final pick and his reputation is forever tied to the success of the pick as is Brackett’s and everyone else in the department. Too many misses by a scout and they get fired, same as GMs.

I agree. It’s like I said though, Brackett has been the reverse scape goat. Anything good he gets credit for so Jim Benning doesn’t need to. 

Apprently @kilgorehas more inside information on who was responsible for which picks than I do though <_< 

• Cheers 1