The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

I don't know if Mailloux deserves a second chance or not. Quite frankly, I don't think anyone here is fit to make that determination concretely. Certainly shouldn't have been drafted this year, let alone with a first, especially after he requested that nobody draft him.

That said, I think it's kinda crappy to downvote people for expressing an opinion on a touchy matter like that, unless they're trolling like that Laine douche was.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rosalie73 said:

I feel that Logan Mailloux deserves a second chance.

I don't think it's so much that he doesn't deserve a second chance ever. It's more just a terrible move by Montreal drafting him after he'd asked to be removed from the draft. You have to assume the other teams were abiding by his request, and it comes across as the Habs using the situation to gain a competitive advantage. 

• Cheers 1

I dunno man, I have nieces that are very near and dear to my heart and if some scumbag did to them what this guy did I'd be furious that he got drafted and the crime was pretty much thrown under the rug. It's a difficult situation. Yes he's a kid but can you really justify it like that? I was a teenager once and never once thought of doing that to any woman. So the age excuse has never really flown with me for people doing F'd up things. The league shoulda came out and said "Logan Maillhoux is ineligible to be drafted in the 2021 draft" over and done with. Now they look insensitive. He said he didn't feel he deserved to be drafted anyway. So why not just take the free social media points and make the public statement that he can't be drafted and move on?

Also Montreal making a lotta scummy moves this offseason. Between the Price injury report and now drafting a kid that said he shouldn't be drafted. Which kind of looks like they are taking advantage of a situation where GMs looked like they're gonna honour that request. Montreal might be the team I dislike more than Toronto now.

• Upvote 3

On 7/25/2021 at 10:22 AM, BCNate said:

I was bummed not to see a pick, but can live with it since we got Garland.  He is an absolute stud, and has a ton of room to get better.  He put up a 65 point pace in AZ.  Put him in our top 6, and he should see a big increase in production.  Factor in that Dickinson will take a fair amount of Bo's defensive load, and a 2nd line of Hoglander-Horvat-Garland could be excellent.  We have so much depth and flex in our top 9 now, most in a decade for sure.

I'm not sure Guenther will be better than Garand, but who knows.  If LA hadn't taken Clarke, I would have been more dissapointed.

Hate to say it but Guether is likely going to be alot better than Garland. His 2.0 points/1.0 goals per game is pretty ridiculous, he will probably be a 30 goal and 60 points winger but has a good chance of being a 40 goal 80 point winger as well. Even though he only had 12 games, the last 18 year old draft eligible player that I can remember to put up 2.0 pts/game in the WHL was Patrick Marleau. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hate to say it but Guether is likely going to be alot better than Garland. His 2.0 points/1.0 goals per game is pretty ridiculous, he will probably be a 30 goal and 60 points winger but has a good chance of being a 40 goal 80 point winger as well. Even though he only had 12 games, the last 18 year old draft eligible player to put up 2.0 pts/game in the WHL was Patrick Marleau. 

People on these boards just didn’t like the idea of selecting a winger. Guenther could be the best offensive player out of this draft. He’s easily a top 5 talent in this draft and zona was lucky to snag him at 9. Good nhl ceiling comp I’ve heard is a winger version of Tyler Seguin. I do really like Garland and he’s ready to play now! Shortened season I know but he was on pace for 65 points last season which is very good! He’ll be playing with better line mates in Vancouver you’d think.

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

People on these boards just didn’t like the idea of selecting a winger. Guenther could be the best offensive player out of this draft. He’s easily a top 5 talent in this draft and zona was lucky to snag him at 9. Good nhl ceiling comp I’ve heard is a winger version of Tyler Seguin. I do really like Garland and he’s ready to play now! Shortened season I know but he was on pace for 65 points last season which is very good! He’ll be playing with better line mates in Vancouver you’d think.

Do you know who he was mainly playing with in Zona, was he playing with Keller or Kessel on the powerplay? Cant say I watched too many of their games. Hoping we can sign him to a team friendly deal.

21 hours ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

I don't think it's so much that he doesn't deserve a second chance ever. It's more just a terrible move by Montreal drafting him after he'd asked to be removed from the draft. You have to assume the other teams were abiding by his request, and it comes across as the Habs using the situation to gain a competitive advantage. 

Looking back it could be a great move, if he turns out to be Shea Weber 2.0. To be fair they took him ahead of where alot of people had him ranked. 

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Do you know who he was mainly playing with in Zona, was he playing with Keller or Kessel on the powerplay? Cant say I watched too many of their games. Hoping we can sign him to a team friendly deal.

5v5 I think he spent most his time with Keller and Schmaltz. But I think they rotated Kessel on that line and Garland down with Dvorak a bit.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Even though the Canucks had some really good picks, I think the winners of the draft were Columbus followed by Minnesota (Brackett). 

Columbus did great.  Detroit did the worst.  Horrid picks in round one.  Just stupid by Yzerboy.

Our guy in round two will be the Pastrnak of his draft.  We friggin’ win!  To hell with all the other teams!  Hate ‘em all! :frantic:

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Columbus did great.  Detroit did the worst.  Horrid picks in round one.  Just stupid by Yzerboy.

Our guy in round two will be the Pastrnak of his draft.  We friggin’ win!  To hell with all the other teams!  Hate ‘em all! :frantic:

I didnt mind the Detroit picks Edvinsson and Costa are good pieces. I would say Ottawa was the clear loser on the day, god awful picks. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hate to say it but Guether is likely going to be alot better than Garland. His 2.0 points/1.0 goals per game is pretty ridiculous, he will probably be a 30 goal and 60 points winger but has a good chance of being a 40 goal 80 point winger as well. Even though he only had 12 games, the last 18 year old draft eligible player that I can remember to put up 2.0 pts/game in the WHL was Patrick Marleau. 

I don't think he would have been able to sustain his 2.0 PPG. Like you said, it hasn't been done in a long time, and if scouts legit thought that was a capable sample size, he would have went 1st overall. I personally think 30G 60P is a fair upside for him. Taking the already 60P forward in Garland who helps here and now, and has established that upside, is a worthy risk. Even if he does manage to be an 80P forward, it's not like that blows Garland out of the water.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Maybe, but a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.  Is Guenther twice as good?  I'd rather go with a known quantity over an enticing gamble.  Any drafted player can either exceed expectations or end up a bust.  Despite them being measured with microscopes predicting the future is always an imprecise thing.  Everything is a gamble, even acquiring a vet, but overall I think I like the big trade that Jim pulled.  We'll have to see how it plays out on the ice but in general I have no problem trading a pick for an NHL quality player.  In fact we got two starting quality players out of the deal and cleared out a lot of deadwood at the same time, I'd call that a win even though Geunther looks promising.  In a trade one has to give up something of value but I think we got the better end of the deal.  At the very least in the short term but maybe in the long term too.  GCG!

5 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

I don't think he would have been able to sustain his 2.0 PPG. Like you said, it hasn't been done in a long time, and if scouts legit thought that was a capable sample size, he would have went 1st overall. I personally think 30G 60P is a fair upside for him. Taking the already 60P forward in Garland who helps here and now, and has established that upside, is a worthy risk. Even if he does manage to be an 80P forward, it's not like that blows Garland out of the water.

With high end prospects like Guenther there is always a chance they could become a 100 point star player, but if Garland can put up 60 points this season, it is worth the risk I agree.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Maybe, but a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.  Is Guenther twice as good?  I'd rather go with a known quantity over an enticing gamble.  Any drafted player can either exceed expectations or end up a bust.  Despite them being measured with microscopes predicting the future is always an imprecise thing.  Everything is a gamble, even acquiring a vet, but overall I think I like the big trade that Jim pulled.  We'll have to see how it plays out on the ice but in general I have no problem trading a pick for an NHL quality player.  In fact we got two starting quality players out of the deal and cleared out a lot of deadwood at the same time, I'd call that a win even though Geunther looks promising.  In a trade one has to give up something of value but I think we got the better end of the deal.  At the very least in the short term but maybe in the long term too.  GCG!

Fair trade in my opinion, helps the Canucks out now (next 4 years), and helps the Coyotes in the future 3+ years down the line. Hard to judge the trade until Garland is signed though, Canucks also have to be competing for the cup in the next 2-4 years to make this a good trade. The only problem I see currently is that we have to try and get past teams like the Lightning and Av's who currently have a good margin on us. We kinda need Petey to reach Mckinnon and Kucherov level.    

Edited by Bure_Pavel

23 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

With high end prospects like Guenther there is always a chance they could become a 100 point star player, but if Garland can put up 60 points this season, it is worth the risk I agree.  

I don't think that it is likely that Garland will put up 60 points or Guenther will ever reach 100.  It's possible, just not very likely in my opinion.  I'd be very happy if Garland put up 40-50 points on the second line and contributed defensively.  In any case I like the off season that Benning is having so far and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out come game time.  GCG!

27 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Geunther NHL 100 points?  :lol:

This guy is lucky to be a fringe NHLer.  

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Geunther NHL 100 points?  :lol:

This guy is lucky to be a fringe NHLer.  

His floor is probably 40 point winger in NHL, Ive seen his shot described as Ovechkin like. He wont ever be an Ovechkin but even having his name mentioned when talking about comparables is pretty impressive. Time will tell. 

My concern is that Mailloux won't learn his lesson because he was still drafted in the first round.
Lost a lot of respect for Bergevin picking him that early.

I found it despicable that they said they'd teach him the consequences of his actions, when they picked him the first round--belying the consequences.