The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

16 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

If we land in that 10-15 range we should take a shot at Jesper Wallstedt 

he he is dominating at the moment and we could use an elite goalie in the pipeline 

sounds like an interesting option. Has been playing 16 games in sweden's top league the SHL for Lulea. Is a big body with 6 foot 3 and 214 lbs. Based on the frame, Pekka Rinne from the Nashville Predators comes to my mind. Recall that Florida used a high 1st round pick in the draft 2 years ago for a goalie. Goalie position is crucial in hockey. Just remember how valuable Luongo was for VAN.

Wallstedt at #10-15 would be an interesting pick for sure. He's got size, something that I think will hinder DiPietro's NHL career. Love DiPietro's heart and battle, but he just doesn't cover enough net IMO. Silovs has some size, but his stats are pretty mediocre his first year with Barrie. I'm sure it'll take time to develop, especially for a goalie.

My choice would be:

Picks 1-5 (Dmen)

Picks 6-10 (Forwards)

11 - Wallstedt (goalie)

I know it's typically BPA, but I believe the above might be the BPA. 

11 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id like us to get a pure skill forward this draft. We have lots of complimentary players, but need a skilled passer to help distribute the puck to our skilled shooters.

I’d love another elite dman on our team. And landing in the top 5 in this draft helps increase those odds significantly, something to give us a little more power on the back end if you know what I’m saying 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I’d love another elite dman on our team. And landing in the top 5 in this draft helps increase those odds significantly, something to give us a little more power on the back end if you know what I’m saying 

For sure, especially if he's a right shot. I just feel a guy in the same style as Zegras could do big things for this team

On 1/26/2021 at 4:18 AM, Merely said:

Brandt Clark would be my pick. He's like Quinn Hughes. 

Clarke is my dream pick for this draft.

We could really use more depth on D, and especially on the right side. This guy fits the bill perfectly. 

A lot of appealing LHD in this draft too though. 

Adding that big Swedish goalie, Jesper Wallstedt would be great too. 

On 1/24/2021 at 11:00 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Wallstedt at #10-15 would be an interesting pick for sure. He's got size, something that I think will hinder DiPietro's NHL career. Love DiPietro's heart and battle, but he just doesn't cover enough net IMO. Silovs has some size, but his stats are pretty mediocre his first year with Barrie. I'm sure it'll take time to develop, especially for a goalie.

My choice would be:

Picks 1-5 (Dmen)

Picks 6-10 (Forwards)

11 - Wallstedt (goalie)

I know it's typically BPA, but I believe the above might be the BPA. 

Take raty and call it a day. He is being undervalued imo so should be in the 11 to 15 range. Not a big fan fan of taking a goalie in the first unless he is like askarov.

19 minutes ago, Isam said:

Take raty and call it a day. He is being undervalued imo so should be in the 11 to 15 range. Not a big fan fan of taking a goalie in the first unless he is like askarov.

checked his player profile out on eliteprospects:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/467384/aatu-raty

all rankings list him within the top 10 at this point. Some time will go by until the NHL entry draft is held so his ranking can change.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

16 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

checked his player profile out on eliteprospects:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/467384/aatu-raty

all rankings list him within the top 10 at this point. Some time will go by until the NHL entry draft is held so his ranking can change.

Alot of the rankings right now are still going off his age 16 season. This year, he has struggled heavy. Part of it was covid put part of it also was karpats use of him since it is a tire fire of an org. I can definitely see him falling out of the top ten which would make him an outstanding pick for us

On 12/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Now that the 2020 NHL draft has taken place virtually, its time to look ahead to 2021. 

Here are some early rankings:

https://dobberprospects.com/2020/08/12/dobberprospects-preliminary-2021-nhl-draft-rankings/

https://thehockeywriters.com/2021-nhl-draft-rankings-bell-preseason-top-31/

Some interesting names near the top of the draft class:

1) Autu Raty - 6'1, 180 lbs, C

2) Owen Power - 6'5, 205 lbs, LHD

3) Brandt Clarke - 6,1, 180 lbs, RHD

4) Carson Lambos - 6'1, 200 lbs, LHD

5) Luke Hughes - 6'0, 161 lbs, LHD

There are some really good defensemen that should be available throughout the draft, which should be good news for the Canucks. 

Here's the thing about Owen Power, he's 6'6 and reportedly a pretty good skater, IF he has good hockey sense and a decent shot and decent passing, I'd be more than happy with him here in nuckland. 

JB was trying something which alluded him but I believe he was looking for BIG stay at home dmen (crease clearing) to pair with smallish PMD's like Hughes, IF Train came back we'd have 3, Train, Myers, and Power (if he's NHL ready) as soon as next season, but since Nate has second pairing locked, all we need is a good third PMD on 3rd line. 

Myers befuddles me though, some night he plays good defensively and some nights.. not so much.. 

Anyway, would love to see Power in a Nux jersey, I doubt it though, if he stays high Uber high at the draft, we won't get him, since when are we ever that fortunate? 

Would be a odd sight for a change, 3 really good D pairings all at once in a season? That hasn't happened in a long time and wasn't for that long anyway.. sadly.. but who knows